The Offense was gruesome | The Boneyard

The Offense was gruesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The last field goal was at 6:54 left. We had 9 or 10 possessions between that point and when Texas started fouling, and we only got 2 free throws out of those possessions. That can not happen against a good team. Texas plays good defense, but they aren't wizards. Brimah just has to hit those hook shots, and either Cassell has to hit those open looks or we need to run those plays for Hamilton.

The defense was really good today, by all the players, until Hamilton missed the switch at the end. I thought Samuel had won the game for us when he forced the TO on Texas' second to last possession. But no team can put that much pressure on their defense when playing a good opponent. We can't come out of 10 possessions with 2 free throws.

Reaction Score
Brimah hits like 1-10 of those hooks. Unless he's getting lobs against 6-6 guys he's a total liability on the offensive end.

The last field goal was at 6:54 left. We had 9 or 10 possessions between that point and when Texas started fouling, and we only got 2 free throws out of those possessions. That can not happen against a good team. Texas plays good defense, but they aren't wizards. Brimah just has to hit those hook shots, and either Cassell has to hit those open looks or we need to run those plays for Hamilton.

The defense was really good today, by all the players, until Hamilton missed the switch at the end. I thought Samuel had won the game for us when he forced the TO on Texas' second to last possession. But no team can put that much pressure on their defense when playing a good opponent. We can't come out of 10 possessions with 2 free throws.

Reaction Score
When will they realize you need to post up Phil or Facey and not Brimah? Both are way better back to the basket guys.

Reaction Score
We make 1 more 3 and we win the game, we shot 3-18, 18%. Brimah played 30 minutes and had 4 points, 2 boards. I don't have the answer on O other than to want Hamilton to take shots down the stretch or try to get to the line rather than Cassell. TSam won't shoot from outside and Rodney when he comes back, it's not his strength.

Reaction Score
We kept going to Brimah in the post in the last 6 minutes and that was just stupid, playing into Texas strengths. Once Hamilton got bloodied up he disappeared, not sure if that was Hamilton making himself invisible or if we just weren't getting him the ball. Unfortunately Boat and Hamilton are our only offensive options now with Purvis and Omar out and Cassell and TSam's suckitude.

Reaction Score
At this point give Nolan a couple starts over Brimah. Tired of watching Brimah unable to do anything besides dunk on lobs or get virtually every contested rebound ripped away.

When will they realize you need to post up Phil or Facey and not Brimah? Both are way better back to the basket guys.

Reaction Score
Phil was lowering his shoulder and charging into guys the first couple of games but since then he has finished well on his few chances in the post, Facey doesn't really have a post game I don't think but he is athletic around the rim.

Reaction Score
It was bad for the most part, but Boat's last drive should have been a goaltend, he had another drive roll off the front rim that he just missed - a bit unlucky. Hamilton reversed the ball to Cassell late in the shot clock when I would have rather had Ham shoot it. Cassell ended up missing a wide open look. Think that would have put us up 6 and maybe been the dagger.

We had some good possessions in there that we didn't score on. And a couple bad ones. Hamilton went a little soft late and that can't happen when we're short handed. Makes us too easy to defend.

Reaction Score
the offense was putrid. We really only have two offensive players who are legit threats. Facey should get some more touches b/c he is very effective around the hoop. Amida at this point is a total offensive liability, TSam is a liability, Cassell simply cannot buy a shot, and the jury is still out on what Purvis is. That essentially leaves us Boat and DHam as the only guys who can really do anything offensively. Very, very tough to watch.

Reaction Score
I was criticized last week when I stated that the missed showoff dunk and ankle sprain by Purvis was the turning point of the WVU game, and now it also effected the outcome of this game by his absence. I stand by my statement. The Ferrari has a flat tire.

Reaction Score
I was watching Brimah, in particular, on offense. The kid, right now, is a black hole for the most part. It he get the ball passed to him, it's not coming back out. His offense isn't good enough for that to happen.

Reaction Score
I was criticized last week when I stated that the missed showoff dunk and ankle sprain by Purvis was the turning point of the WVU game, and now it also effected the outcome of this game by his absence. I stand by my statement. The Ferrari has a flat tire.
I like the way you added "showoff dunk" to your reincarnated stupidity. It really brings a whole new level of "what the hell drugs is this guy on?" to the discussion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's painful to watch our offense at times. Outside of Boat and the freshman Hamilton we have no one on offense that can reliably create their own shot (jury's still out on Purvis). Facey does what's asked of him but he's limited. Brimah has been just terrible. TSam is almost totally useless. He can't shoot and he's passing up wide open shots, he gets to the lane with no plan at all of what to do once he's there, and outside of his defense (which has been good but not great) he's just looked lost out there. Cassell has been putrid as well, but at least he's trying to do something. Lubin looked like he was someone's little brother KO grabbed before the game and stuck in the roster. I like this team and I think we have the parts for another good season, but we need at least Purvis and maybe Calhoun to step up on offense as well and for Ollie to actually draw up some plays.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
The Boneyard is the exception that proves the rule that stupidity cures itself.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
They just wouldn't pass to Nolan today. He was doing an excellent job of getting open and was pleading for the ball but everyone else acted as if he were invisible. As I said in another thread, with everybody clanking shots and coughing the ball up, passing to him wouldn't really have been much of a risk. He also had a couple of really nice passes that would've gone for assists if the shots hadn't been off. All in all, it's another good out-of-the-box score performance for PN which goes down on paper as looking like a bad game.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
What people are missing is that Brimah and Facey held their own against a Texas front line
has a top ten pick on it?
This game is on Cassell, who may not be a player on this level.
On Brimah. The only way he can improve is to continue to get the ball fed to him.
I have said that he may not be a back to the basket player and should be working on that jumper from the corner. He has a nice touch and he won't be getting knocked around.
He also needs twenty lbs of muscle.

C

Chief00

Sam Jr's shooting has disappointed. People sometimes get upset when I speak frankly - but here it goes - our Bigs have not developed post moves they have confidence in against good competition. It needs to be addressed. Frankly, Facey may be the best option of the three - but quite frankly not in low post moves.
TSam has zero confidence in his 15 foot shot - now that he plays more - teams are incorporating into their scouting reports. Unless Purvis or Calhoun returns to FR form we have a real shooting problem.

Reaction Score
It was unfortunate and does seem like a turning point but how the hell was it a showoff dunk?

Reaction Score
Sam Jr's shooting has disappointed. People sometimes get upset when I speak frankly - but here it goes - our Bigs have not developed post moves they have confidence in against good competition. It needs to be addressed. Frankly, Facey may be the best option of the three - but quite frankly not in low post moves.
TSam has zero confidence in his 15 foot shot - now that he plays more - teams are incorporating into their scouting reports. Unless Purvis or Calhoun returns to FR form we have a real shooting problem.
Is your name Frank?

C

Chief00

Is your name Frank?
I never aspired to be a Kevin Nathan wannabe. At least, UConn has to approve his contract so to some extent it's understandable. But, yes I can be frank.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The scariest part of this game and WVU for that matter is that it is not a problem of X's and O's in my opinion. I know Cassell is getting that wide open in part because no one thinks he will hit the shot, but those curl's do spring the 2 or 3 for a wide open 3, because the away from the ball pick by the wing coming underneath is a really hard pick to come over the top of. A lot of those shots will be there for Purvis when he returns.

Brimah does hit those hooks sometimes, but he has to work harder. He is basically shooting from the same spot every time when he backs down then comes across, so it should be exactly the same motion with his shot each time. This is something he should get down cold in practice.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

Nolan played 23 minutes and didn't even attempt a shot. How does that happen?

Oh wait, Sam Cassell, Jr. was 3-18. I guess that's how it happens.

H

huskymagic

Buddy your point on Purvis was noted and is true for the WVU game, but Purvis's presence is not the reason we lost today. We had a lead the last 5 minutes of the game and should have iced it by keeping the ball in the hands of Boatright and Hamilton instead we get Cassell trying to play hero ball. UCONN is much better off letting Boatright or Hamilton keep the ball 25 seconds then make a move if we have a lead last 5 minutes of a game.

P.S. One week off and the Ferrari wasn't ready to play today. I can't imagine Boatright missing Friday's game to Yale due to an ankle sprain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom