The No-Backbone Yard | The Boneyard

The No-Backbone Yard

Reaction Score
The Boneyard has always been a great information exchange zone. A place where we exchange our thoughts and views, supplemented with a modicum of oft-questionable reasoning. Now we whine about losing recruits we wouldn't have even wanted Ollie to consider a year ago. We have dozens of threads about songs. freaking songs! We use rankings to become excited about potential recruits or to denigrate potential recruits. This is becoming a sad place to visit and yes I hear in the background then don't visit.
Here are some thoughts from someone who has lived through the good and bad times of UConn basketball.
  • We don't play UConn basketball anymore - We used to run and press an entire game. The other team was running back on defense as a matter of their game plan because we could beat them down the court with a long pass and get a layup seconds after their shot. By the fourth quarter they were exhausted and we were just getting started. Ollie promised that would be back. This NBA type offense and defense is just that, fast, bad shots and often lazy defense.
  • Our fans showed up all the time. In the early 70's we drove thru a major ice storm blizzard to get to an NIT game. Amtrak used to be the UConn express to the Big East tournament.
We need to do just a few things to start the process of being UConn again;
  • Ollie has to take responsibility for several very important things;
One, play collegiate basketball. Run, press, share the ball. If someone is open they should have the green light.
Two recruit character. I don't care how good you are, you won't win without character (ask Shabazz, Caron, Allen, Okafor and Kemba) and this last bunch of recruits had little to none. Durham, given a scholarship while potentially having a second career ending injury never had character and when he played it showed.
Three play unrelenting defense. If you can't remember us in that manner look for a Rod Sellers game video.

I am a big Kevin Ollie fan, have been since he played! If he merely held his athletes to the same standards he set for his game, preparation and effort we won't need them to recognize we are bluebloods, it will be raining blue!
AND when he holds them to those standards, even if they leave we should have his back!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Boneyard has always been a great information exchange zone. A place where we exchange our thoughts and views, supplemented with a modicum of oft-questionable reasoning. Now we whine about losing recruits we wouldn't have even wanted Ollie to consider a year ago. We have dozens of threads about songs. freaking songs! We use rankings to become excited about potential recruits or to denigrate potential recruits. This is becoming a sad place to visit and yes I hear in the background then don't visit.
Here are some thoughts from someone who has lived through the good and bad times of UConn basketball.
  • We don't play UConn basketball anymore - We used to run and press an entire game. The other team was running back on defense as a matter of their game plan because we could beat them down the court with a long pass and get a layup seconds after their shot. By the fourth quarter they were exhausted and we were just getting started. Ollie promised that would be back. This NBA type offense and defense is just that, fast, bad shots and often lazy defense.
  • Our fans showed up all the time. In the early 70's we drove thru a major ice storm blizzard to get to an NIT game. Amtrak used to be the UConn express to the Big East tournament.
One, play collegiate basketball. Run, press, share the ball. If someone is open they should have the green light.
Two recruit character. I don't care how good you are, you won't win without character (ask Shabazz, Caron, Allen, Okafor and Kemba) and this last bunch of recruits had little to none. Durham, given a scholarship while potentially having a second career ending injury never had character and when he played it showed.
Three play unrelenting defense. If you can't remember us in that manner look for a Rod Sellers game video.

I am a big Kevin Ollie fan, have been since he played! If he merely held his athletes to the same standards he set for his game, preparation and effort we won't need them to recognize we are bluebloods, it will be raining blue!
AND when he holds them to those standards, even if they leave we should have his back!
I agree with many of your points, but are we really deep enough to press like that? We weren't last year with the injuries, and next year we return with 4 less players, actually more with the loss of our 3 seniors. And the skeleton crew coming back , we two of them are coming off of season ending injuries

Reaction Score
Step one: Hold himself to the standards he holds for the kids. Ten toes in every day.

The rest will work out.

Yup. That would solve a lot of issues.

Reaction Score

Let's just hope he can turn Cobb into the big guy we need down low.

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more
Ollie: I live and breathe UConn Basketball my whole life no matter what.
Also Ollie: sit moping on the bench for 40 straight minutes
Ollie needs a wakeup call. If this past season wasn't it then I'm afraid he's already dead in the water.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we really only pressed in the dream season, and it was of the best presses ever

the press disappeared a long time ago

I do agree with many of the points made in the OP

Reaction Score

Nicely and accurately said.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more

Please provide me with a tape of KO "moping on the bench for 40 STRAIGHT minutes"
My season tickets (since 1965) are directly across from the bench - I have not witnessed this
Exaggeration to the maximum and to make a point?

Fish swung and missed on his statement - but not the first time he's done that - this week

Reaction Score
Step one: Hold himself to the standards he holds for the kids. Ten toes in every day.

The rest will work out.

You've been pretty consistent for a while now in these veiled references to Ollie's work ethic (or lack thereof). Do you ever plan on elaborating on what the genesis of this might be and whether there is reason to believe it has continued? Honest question.

Reaction Score
KO seems to be balls to the wall as far as work ethic in the program goes but when player's don't perform or follow his coaching you see the scowl, and players hate criticism. I see KO as a basketball lifer, I mean what else does he do? He must be in a desperate mode to fill out his roster number one with Chillious, and trying to deal with rejections of players he thought he had a chance with. Maybe someone knows, is KO playing 18 holes every day? If that's the case only then I will buy in to the theory that he's not working hard enough.

Reaction Score
KO seems to be balls to the wall as far as work ethic in the program goes but when player's don't perform or follow his coaching you see the scowl, and players hate criticism. I see KO as a basketball lifer, I mean what else does he do? He must be in a desperate mode to fill out his roster number one with Chillious, and trying to deal with rejections of players he thought he had a chance with. Maybe someone knows, is KO playing 18 holes every day? If that's the case only then I will buy in to the theory that he's not working hard enough.

I believe it to be a work ethic issue.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

The rest will work out.

What do we know about this? Since his divorce, I certainly perceive a difference in his level of intensity and interest in this job. He doesn't seem to get the same enjoyment he once did. Given who he is, and the importance he's always placed on his family, that wouldn't be surprising.

Reaction Score
What do we know about this? Since his divorce, I certainly perceive a difference in his level of intensity and interest in this job. He doesn't seem to get the same enjoyment he once did. Given who he is, and the importance he's always placed on his family, that wouldn't be surprising.

We know nothing. However, there were quite a few rumors about KO investing a lot of time into his personal life. Rumors, of course, but...

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more

Eh, not really.

Also, Fishy and JMick clearly believe or know he's been either in a personal funk which has taken away some strands of his work ethic, or he's been partying too much.

I don't know or really care at this point, but that's clearly the insinuation and not "moping on the bench for 40 minutes."

Regardless of what else is going on, his bench demeanor is indicative of very little, factually.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We know nothing. However, there were quite a few rumors about KO investing a lot of time into his personal life. Rumors, of course, but...
In the absence of any concrete information, I am conjuring images of Tim Meadows's "Ladies Man" character from SNL.

Reaction Score

Ten. Toes. In.

Reaction Score
Also, he did receive a very lucrative 5 year extension after the national championship. We've had little success since that day. I'm not saying he's mailed it in but we've seen countless examples of athletes who had career years entering free agency, got a huge deal, and their performances dropped significantly. We always blame the divorce, but I think it's foolish to not think KO could have gotten somewhat complacent after landing the first big multiyear deal of his life.

Reaction Score
Did someone say partying? Please substantiate. This is the same KO that as a pro when he disappeared in the afternoon, some players followed him to find out he was going to bible study class. Not exactly my idea of a party.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wish those who seem to suggest their is an issue with KO just come out and say what they've heard or just STFU.

Kind of tired of the constant...

leaky-faucet.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom