... the next time a blue chip recruit makes a head-scratching college choice out of college. It ain’t for the gumbo. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

... the next time a blue chip recruit makes a head-scratching college choice out of college. It ain’t for the gumbo.

Reaction Score
Nobody forces you to go to college and not get paid(slave argument is so silly)
If you don’t want the benefits of going to college then don’t go.

I wouldn’t be opposed to getting paid for likeness per se but how the hell do you prevent the LSU car dealer(booster)from giving the best player in high school a cool Mil for a couple of TV ads
That argument isn't just silly, it's also incredibly offensive.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yea, that's the ticket...

Either they want to be college basketball players or they want to be professional players. It's up to them. We should not give them the option to be both. I fully support them being able to go pro whenever they want. Try to get your $300k out of the G-League or a Greek team. Knock yourself out.

But don't pretend that your value is what it is without the college branding behind it. Most fans of college teams support the team, no matter who is on it. Take 99% of college basketball players and put them on a G-league team straight from HS and nobody would know or care who they were. We only follow DHam because he played at UConn. Straight from HS? Would never know his name.

Now Zion Williamson, sure. He's got marketing value all by himself. Should have been able to jump straight to NBA (which I think players now can or will next year).

Reaction Score

I wouldn’t be opposed to getting paid for likeness per se but how the hell do you prevent the LSU car dealer(booster)from giving the best player in high school a cool Mil for a couple of TV ads
I'm not saying they are slaves, but Zion should be allowed to go to the NBA out of his Sophomore year of High school if he would like. Alternatively he can go to Duke for 4 years without getting paid a dime if he'd like. But in a system like you have in college football were you have to play 3 years of football in school while people are making money off of you and your athletic window is limited then you have every right to complain.

Reaction Score

Things like that would happen, but oh well. Let them get paid for their likeness, let the best of the best get sneaker deals while in school. Let players do commercials for local/national businesses. At least this wouldn't destroy all of the other college sports.

Reaction Score
but we also have to agree that the “durr they are getting paid with a scholarship durr” is an incredibly stupid and bad argument. When there are coaches and admins getting paid millions and billions being thrown around for TV deals, it takes a lot of mental gymnastics to come to the conclusion that this isn’t a major, big money business.

Why is Dabo worth 9 million dollars but Trevor Lawrence is only worth a scholarship valued at about 100k?

Reaction Score
I'm not saying they are slaves, but Zion should be allowed to go to the NBA out of his Sophomore year of High school if he would like. Alternatively he can go to Duke for 4 years without getting paid a dime if he'd like. But in a system like you have in college football were you have to play 3 years of football in school while people are making money off of you and your athletic window is limited then you have every right to complain.

The argument of college athletes being modern day slaves has been brought up nationally by some. Not suggesting anybody here has said it or not.
I agree with your statements. Give them free will to choose in all sports and be done with it. If pro leagues set an age limit that’s on them. Perhaps a feeder league in football develops.

Reaction Score
The kids already are paid. A four year scholarship isn't cheap, that right there is worth a lot

What is the incremental cost of a 30th chair being in a classroom vs 29? It costs the institution next to nothing for a few extra kids to be on campus, then when ROI is factored in, they make a killing.

+ most kids at high tier football and hoops schools don't really get to choose which majors or classes they get to enroll in. 90% of it is a farce.

The model should be the European soccer academy system. It would destroy college sports, but so be it. The pro game would become exceptional.

Reaction Score
but we also have to agree that the “durr they are getting paid with a scholarship durr” is an incredibly stupid and bad argument. When there are coaches and admins getting paid millions and billions being thrown around for TV deals, it takes a lot of mental gymnastics to come to the conclusion that this isn’t a major, big money business.

Why is Dabo worth 9 million dollars but Trevor Lawrence is only worth a scholarship valued at about 100k?
I don't think it is a "stupid" argument at all. Scholarships can be valued at upwards of 200,000 or more for the four years. Plus it is not just that, but the room and board, the food, the personal trainers, etc. as I already mentioned.

Ya, it is not cold hard cash, but that doesn't mean the value should be undermined. Plus, how many of these kids actually go pro? Most of them do not. For a number of them, maybe they would not even go to UNI if not for playing a major sport. So they are being given something, a scholarship which impacts their future earnings, basically has a positive net effect for the rest of their life that maybe they would not get had they not played sports.

Again, a better solution for the money being generated by sports is maybe to give back to the UNI in the form of a general scholarship fund so everyone benefits, not just a select few. That would be the best way to deal with this IMO and would be the most fair. Or, at the very least, get rid of the benefits of a scholarship, etc. if you pay the athletes and then let them use the money earned to pay for all that, as I said. I think your average athlete will quickly realize just how valuable that scholarship is in that situation.

The model should be the European soccer academy system.
What is that?

What is the incremental cost of a 30th chair being in a classroom vs 29? It costs the institution next to nothing for a few extra kids to be on campus, then when ROI is factored in, they make a killing.
Oh, yah. You won't get an argument from me on that, UNI in the states is grossly over priced, insane cost in fact. But regardless of the cost of the actual degree, the lifetime value is quite high. College grads earn way more than a HS grad over the course of a lifetime. Not sure the actual figure, read it in the past, but it is quite a bit of money. I don't think, even if just using the lower end of average, or even the lower end of the spectrum in general for earnings after getting a degree that it is even close for the majority of HS grads, a degree holder would still make more than a HS grad. A scholarship and its value over life shouldn't be undermined or under appreciated, I think it has been proven quite clearly to have a lot of worth.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think it is a "stupid" argument at all. Scholarships can be valued at upwards of 200,000 or more for the four years. Plus it is not just that, but the room and board, the food, the personal trainers, etc. as I already mentioned.

Ya, it is not cold hard cash, but that doesn't mean the value should be undermined. Plus, how many of these kids actually go pro? Most of them do not. For a number of them, maybe they would not even go to UNI if not for playing a major sport. So they are being given something, a scholarship which impacts their future earnings, basically has a positive net effect for the rest of their life that maybe they would not get had they not played sports.

Again, a better solution for the money being generated by sports is maybe to give back to the UNI in the form of a general scholarship fund so everyone benefits, not just a select few. That would be the best way to deal with this IMO and would be the most fair. Or, at the very least, get rid of the benefits of a scholarship, etc. if you pay the athletes and then let them use the money earned to pay for all that, as I said. I think your average athlete will quickly realize just how valuable that scholarship is in that situation.

What is that?

But why is Dabo Sweeny worth 9 million dollars while the star QB is worth 200k?

Reaction Score
If they were hired as employees it would interesting to see how many kids get fired at the end of their season or even halfway through the season.
This suggestion does not preclude the existence of contracts, which would provide players protection (more protection than they currently have now!)

Reaction Score
Rookie contract. His next one will be bigger.

What if he has a career ending injury next season? Clemson will have made millions off his labor, and an unknown amount in brand equity; yet he could end up without even a scholarship.

You don’t think there’s something wrong with that?

Reaction Score
What if he has a career ending injury next season? Clemson will have made millions off his labor, and an unknown amount in brand equity; yet he could end up without even a scholarship.

IMO, under the current model a player should be allowed to complete a degree no matter what (well as long as they don't break a law or something) once they enroll at a school at any time. Go to the nba after two years at UNI and come back after 20 years in your 40s? The college should accept you right back IMO.

Injured? Well, why would that impact your enrollment? That way if you are injured you can still work towards your degree. But I think that is already how it is, no?

Reaction Score
The kids already are paid. A four year scholarship isn't cheap, that right there is worth a lot. Plus they are given housing, food, access to personal trainers, a gym, free travel and lodging while away on longer trips, exposure on national tv, medical, tutors whenever they need and so much more. When you add all of that up over the course of four years that is a ton of value. Even for just a year. And they deserve money on top of that while the average student is up to their neck in debt? Come on. A number of students are given an opportunity, to get a four year degree that maybe they would not have had, had they not been skilled at basketball or football. Of course there are a lot of examples of student-athletes, like Emeka Okafor, who would get in on their own merits without a doubt. But still, it does create a lot of other opportunities for other students who would not be in school if it weren't for athletics..

The only way I could see paying athletes as fair is if they no longer got the above benefits and had to use that money to pay for all of the above, otherwise it really is not fair IMO. Personally I would stop watching if they were paid money on top of all of those benefits they already get. Plus it would create an uneven playing field where the best schools (best of the P5) would dominate even more.

I am conflicted on the whole pay to play subject for students. However, the problem with your logic is that they are NOT the AVERAGE student. They are the students that (a) bring millions in to the school by playing a sport and (b) are unable to benefit from that skill while in school. Every other student with a skill can take advantage of that skill while in school, including getting paid.

Is it fair to say to them that they can not earn a living until they go to a school for a semester (basketball) or 3 years after HS graduation (football)?

Reaction Score
You can't be serious. In many situations, the dirty agents and handlers take all or most of the money themselves. That's what you want to preserve?
You've stated this isn't at all complicated yet haven't explained how it all works.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
UConn has money problems as it is, if players start getting paid UConn probably moves further down the pecking order of college programs. Our football coach paid an assistant out of his pocket now we are going to pay an entire basketball and football team. We’d be cooked

Exactly this. As things are now, we can still at least be in the conversation with the big boys on the recruiting trail. In a truly free market we would be truly and completely boned.

Reaction Score
This suggestion does not preclude the existence of contracts, which would provide players protection (more protection than they currently have now!)
What if a kid leaves early and that violates his contract? Does he owe the money back?

Reaction Score
IMO, under the current model a player should be allowed to complete a degree no matter what (well as long as they don't break a law or something) once they enroll at a school at any time. Go to the nba after two years at UNI and come back after 20 years in your 40s? The college should accept you right back IMO.

Injured? Well, why would that impact your enrollment? That way if you are injured you can still work towards your degree. But I think that is already how it is, no?

Nope. Athletic scholarships are year to year. Kids have lost scholarships due to injury.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Nope, because what's the alternative? Is Clemson making millions? It's the rare college football program that is even profitable. But pay even a few players and it loses money. Very few schools could pay anything. UConn certainly couldn't.

So sure, start up a minor league football league. Make it like AAA baseball or minor league hockey. See who watches it (nobody).

Clemson is providing him exposure, providing him coaching and facilities, providing him a free education and room and board. Look we can make this like European football if you want. But people watch Clemson because they live in the area or went to Clemson. The players are there only a couple of years. That's not what people come for. They support the school. They certainly have pride in great players. We love Kemba. But if Kemba went to Syracuse and somebody else came he we'd hate Kemba and love the somebody else. Because it's about the school.

Reaction Score
What if a kid leaves early and that violates his contract? Does he owe the money back?

There’s probably be a buyout clause? Did you really think this was a “gotcha question”??

Reaction Score
Nope, because what's the alternative? Is Clemson making millions? It's the rare college football program that is even profitable. But pay even a few players and it loses money. Very few schools could pay anything. UConn certainly couldn't.

So sure, start up a minor league football league. Make it like AAA baseball or minor league hockey. See who watches it (nobody).

Clemson is providing him exposure, providing him coaching and facilities, providing him a free education and room and board. Look we can make this like European football if you want. But people watch Clemson because they live in the area or went to Clemson. The players are there only a couple of years. That's not what people come for. They support the school. They certainly have pride in great players. We love Kemba. But if Kemba went to Syracuse and somebody else came he we'd hate Kemba and love the somebody else. Because it's about the school.

How are all these schools affording to pay coaches and ADs millions upon millions if they are actually losing globs of money in the process?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom