The Next Thing to Look For... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Next Thing to Look For...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IN UNIVERSITY-CENTRIC cities:

Boston (#1 in the World in University Students per Capita); Montreal (#2 in the World in University Students per Capita); Providence, Albany, Worcester are all high in University Students per Capita.

Buses are great parts of that Urban Ecosystem. Bikes sure ... you should see the Bixi system that they have in various North American cities. Go ahead and run over someone. But, I want great developers of cities to put the cars away ... out on the fringe.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I must have missed the huge number of people who turned to their bikes when gas prices were actually rising.
Well, there is threshold and it was breached for a period back in 2009. We have not been over it lately due to a number of reasons.

By the way, can you answer my question? If part of the reason to move was to get UConn-Hartford out of the 'Burb's, why go from one to another?

There is no better reason to put a satelite campus at Rentschler Field, than downtown. Whether E. Hartford can support it or not, the infrastructure is already in place downtown and the fewer the cars, the better. Greater Hartford is no longer known for insurance, but its got the most parking lots per capita...

If the area around Rentschler can support additional new buildings, then the most logical structures are for commerce. Shopping. Retail. Restaurants.Wouldn't it be nice to have another option after a game or concert (after security kicks you out) than a quesadilla from Margharitas' (I love'em but variety never killed anyone. Just the opposite. Monotony does)? Downtown is begging for a new life. East Hartford is not...

Reaction Score
IN UNIVERSITY-CENTRIC cities:

Boston (#1 in the World in University Students per Capita); Montreal (#2 in the World in University Students per Capita); Providence, Albany, Worcester are all high in University Students per Capita.

Buses are great parts of that Urban Ecosystem. Bikes sure ... you should see the Bixi system that they have in various North American cities. Go ahead and run over someone. But, I want great developers of cities to put the cars away ... out on the fringe.

There are a lot of cities without universities with a lot of biking as well. Portland. Buffalo doesn't have many people roaming about, but it's got 4 big bikeshops within throwing distance of one another and a lot of riders.

I notice New Haven now has 3 big bike shops, but I didn't see many riders around.

Lots of bike lanes going up in my town.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of cities without universities with a lot of biking as well. Portland. Buffalo doesn't have many people roaming about, but it's got 4 big bikeshops within throwing distance of one another and a lot of riders.

I notice New Haven now has 3 big bike shops, but I didn't see many riders around.

Lots of bike lanes going up in my town.

You should see Boise, ID. They have a greenway that runs along both sides of the river through the city and it is HEAVILY used. There are actually office buildings immediately adjacent and the bike racks are always full. It's fantastic. The only downside is it runs right beside Bronco Stadium and that hideous blue turf is impossible to tear your eyes from.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, there is threshold and it was breached for a period back in 2009. We have not been over it lately due to a number of reasons.

By the way, can you answer my question? If part of the reason to move was to get UConn-Hartford out of the 'Burb's, why go from one to another?

There is no better reason to put a satelite campus at Rentschler Field, than downtown. Whether E. Hartford can support it or not, the infrastructure is already in place downtown and the fewer the cars, the better. Greater Hartford is no longer known for insurance, but its got the most parking lots per capita...

If the area around Rentschler can support additional new buildings, then the most logical structures are for commerce. Shopping. Retail. Restaurants.Wouldn't it be nice to have another option after a game or concert (after security kicks you out) than a quesadilla from Margharitas' (I love'em but variety never killed anyone. Just the opposite. Monotony does)? Downtown is begging for a new life. East Hartford is not...

I never said that East Hartford should be the location. I asked Upstater why EH would be a disaster. I disagree about public transportation being a big driver in the thought process since relatively few use it and you since it's buses you can just add/change routes.

Goodwin College has hardly been a disaster for example.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There are cities with great public transportation. This city is not one of them, and the ridiculous busway is not going to fix/change that.

Maybe better public transportation would lead to higher utilization, but what we have now is not going to ever see a meaningful increase.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
EH is not necessarily a disaster, IMO. However, downtown is just the better choice. I've already listed the reasons. Many people take the buses into and around Hartford and many people take the buses that reach the 'Burbs. I see them on my commute every day and I no longer work anywhere near Hartford. The New Britain to Hartford busway being a disaster of a project has nothing to do with the metrobuses that currently serve the Greater Hartford Metropolitan Region. They are two different things. Don't let that political hackery of a project cloud your judgement...yet.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Any open fields around the rent should simply be that. When we expand the stadium we will need more parking.

If with stadium expansion there is still room to build anything the only thing I can see there is retail and restaurants. An open air type mall. Maybe a Dave & Busters. I just don't know if the area wants/needs the retail. So leave it be.
Mini UCONN village, with restaurants and a mini co-op.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Mini UCONN village, with restaurants and a mini co-op.
Yes, if they go retail, a UConn sports gear store is a must (co-op affiliated would be nice). I just don't think the 365 demand is there -- that area looks pretty depressed. Cabella's helps since it's a regional mega outdoor store that draws people.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I dunno if the transportation problem would get better or used more when the branch is moved downtown. Really the only reason for it would be if enough people live downtown, without cars, and actually have somewhere they wanna go outside the downtown area. Currently I only see WH Center as a reason to take the bus from Hartford. However, the goal is to keep people in the city so I'd imagine, over time, you could find anything in WH Center in downtown. (Ideally long term)

Overall, it should be a huge shot in the arm (pardon the pun) for Hartford to get UConn in a preexisting building actually downtown. Not north of it or on the otherside of 84. People might even take the busway if they offer some kind of partnership with UConn and using student ID. I doubt it eould do much but who knows...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer