The Next Thing to Look For... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Next Thing to Look For...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How about this Whaler. Why would putting the UConn campus downtown be a bad thing? They already have some student housing on Temple St that I believe is for UHart so I'm not sure how hard it would be to build more in one of the many vacant buildings in Hartford. I never understand the logic of people who constantly want to bash Hartford and anything that city may try to do to revitalize itself. If the university wanted to move to Rentschler the costs would be highet (I'm guessing here) than fixing up the current WH branch.

There's a larger goal here for the state and UConn in moving the campus. They're looking at New Haven and seeing the value of having college students in a city and how it can revitalize a city. Yes, the branch campus is not Yale nor does it have on campus living but do you truly believe that can't change if the campus is downtown? Moving it to East Hartford solves absolutely nothing and requires the building of an entire campus. Plus no one would live there. Moving to Hartford requires renovating a preexisting structure and possibly revitalizing a once great city.

I lived in Hartford for three years and WH for 4 before meeting my wife and moving into her place in Southington so you can call me a valid observer...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Something some people don't even realize---Hartford was a great city. It was one of the very best cities in the country. There was no better place to be. Restoring it is a priority IMO and putting people back in the city is the best way to do it. Hartford defines Central and North Central CT. A thriving and hip Hartford would put CT back on the map. Building stuff and then hoping people show up is putting the cart before the horse. Frankly, I'd see if UCONN could make the Hartford branch a 7 day per week operation just to keep people downtown. Once people notice life when they go downtown, they'll start coming back.

Reaction Score
I was thinking last night that the old Goodwin Hotel might be a nice option/possibility for UConn Downtown. I know little about project management, so I wonder if converting the hotel rooms to class rooms would be too large of a project. I'd imagine that would be less expensive than a complete rebuild of the old Times building. I think ultimately UConn will end up on Main St though, which there is nothing wrong with.

As for East Hartford being a disaster...It would only be a disaster in the sense the State and City miss out on a great oppurtunity to increase foot traffic and residency in Hartford. It sure would not hurt to inject some youth into downtown.

Reaction Score
They probably shouldn't. But public transportation and a lack of utilities certainly aren't reasons not to.

That's the MAJOR reason why you don't do it.

Quick centralized travel (public transport, bikes, by foot) and the huge cost of maintaining spread out infrastructure (highways, utilities, etc.) are killers. You want density, centralization. A hollowed out core means high taxes for everyone.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's the MAJOR reason why you don't do it.

Quick centralized travel (public transport, bikes, by foot) and the huge cost of maintaining spread out infrastructure (highways, utilities, etc.) are killers. You want density, centralization. A hollowed out core means high taxes for everyone.

Are you sure you've been to Hartford? Bikes? Walking?

Where could someone live that would make biking to downtown Hartford for school viable?

Hartford can't plow the roads when it snows for cars - but people are going to bike to a downtown campus. Four days after a storm my car got stuck in a snowbank - that was in the middle of Wethersfield Ave.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Are you sure you've been to Hartford? Bikes? Walking?

Where could someone live that would make biking to downtown Hartford for school viable?

Hartford can't plow the roads when it snows for cars - but people are going to bike to a downtown campus. Four days after a storm my car got stuck in a snowbank - that was in the middle of Wethersfield Ave.

I think you are missing his point completely.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think you are missing his point completely.

I'm not missing his point at all. He's talking about a fantasy theoretical world. I'm talking about the actual reality that makes things like riding a bike to downtown Hartford unrealistic for more than a tiny fraction of the population.

What percentage of the population of the people that would attend the school would live within walking distance. 1%?

Build it in Hartford if it's good for the city but please - the little public transportation we have can be easily rerouted to East Hartford and don't pretend people are going to be riding bikes.

Reaction Score
I'm not missing his point at all. He's talking about a fantasy theoretical world. I'm talking about the actual reality that makes things like riding a bike to downtown Hartford unrealistic for more than a tiny fraction of the population.

What percentage of the population of the people that would attend the school would live within walking distance. 1%?

Build it in Hartford if it's good for the city but please - the little public transportation we have can be easily rerouted to East Hartford and don't pretend people are going to be riding bikes.

His point isn't that people will bike to Hartford from Avon or Enfield. People will bike or walk from their apartment to class or a coffee house, like in most cities. People that live downtown now walk places. There just isn't enough people living there yet.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wasn't one the reasons of moving UConn-Hartford to get it out of the 'Burbs? Why move the campus from one to the other? Once that question is answered, the Rentschler Field proposal (which doesn't exist at the CRDA level) is rendered moot. Secondly, supporting an AHL teams runs deeper than just putting a minor league franchise in a civic arena. Spend an hour on the Courant's Whalers' board and you'll figure out what I mean... If Global Spectrum does it right and they can lower ticket and concession prices, the AHL, and UConn basketball and Hockey will all thrive.

Apparently, the Bank of America building is being repurposed into studio apts. There are other office buildings with 33% or more vacancy (the aforementioned BoA building is 100% vacant) that can potentially also be repurposed. Get a grocery store chain within walking distance of the intersection of Pearl and Trumbull and we'll be on our way to revitalizing Hartford.

FYI busses are used out of necessity, If students use the bus system on the Storrs campus (and they do), they will certainly use buses in the city. No question in my mind.

Reaction Score
Quick response for Mr. No Reading Comprehension:

I have never said whatever is built shouldn't be downtown. I merely have asked Upstater why East Hartford would be a disaster. There is already something similar that has been wildly successful right near Rentschler. I guess we ignore that evidence when declaring it would be a disaster.

Public transportation has little bearing on the success of something in greater Hartford. That other cities have more successful public transportation systems has no bearing on here.

My experience with the quality of employee who takes the bus is obviously based solely on the dynamics here and I would not extrapolate those experiences to anywhere else. So you can save your defense of your students - I'm not talking about them.

I don't agree with upstater on East Hartford. That Big open field with just the Stadium is calling for some answer.

I was answering narrowly. The people who put together the concept for Storrs Center is soon to break ground in New Haven ... and they have a sizable prospective project in Hartford. Educational facilites and Medical ... in case you haven't noticed ... are core anchors for a lot of what works in these cities. (Providence and New Haven as examples). There are huge possibilities at Rentschler. (but that's not the target site) This becomes a little Disney-esque. I see Public Transportation as crucial ... yeah I am a greenie. But, you derive the highest Sales/Rent per Square feet mostly because you create exciting retail and mixed use. Walkable cities. Cars are the last thing I want to plan for; necessary evil.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Listen any time you want to come spend a few years doing what I do and compare the overall quality of the work being done by the people who ride the bus versus the people who don't then you can lecture me about buses and the people who ride them.

First you say poor people shouldn't have sex, than this? Wow.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I don't agree with upstater on East Hartford. That Big open field with just the Stadium is calling for some answer.

I was answering narrowly. The people who put together the concept for Storrs Center is soon to break ground in New Haven ... and they have a sizable prospective project in Hartford. Educational facilites and Medical ... in case you haven't noticed ... are core anchors for a lot of what works in these cities. (Providence and New Haven as examples). There are huge possibilities at Rentschler. (but that's not the target site) This becomes a little Disney-esque. I see Public Transportation as crucial ... yeah I am a greenie. But, you derive the highest Sales/Rent per Square feet mostly because you create exciting retail and mixed use. Walkable cities. Cars are the last thing I want to plan for; necessary evil.

I agree. I don't think a satelite college is the answer either. I'll ask again: Why take UConn-Hartford out of West Hartford only to move it to another, less accomodating 'burb? I think downtown is the exact correct location. Now, if they put the campus north of Morgan Street (which I think is one of the proposed sites), I think they cut off their nose to spite their face. Downtown highrises are screaming to be used. Most of the infrastructure is already there. C'mon CRDA. Help yourself out by helping them out.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Any open fields around the rent should simply be that. When we expand the stadium we will need more parking.

If with stadium expansion there is still room to build anything the only thing I can see there is retail and restaurants. An open air type mall. Maybe a Dave & Busters. I just don't know if the area wants/needs the retail. So leave it be.

As for UConn Hartford. It should be downtown. There should be little debate. They should follow the Stamford branch model and partner with local corporations. It's a win win.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
First you say poor people shouldn't have sex, than this? Wow.

Is there an award show for intentionally misrepresenting a post? You are a shoe in for a 'Waylon' in the category for total misrepresentation combined with just a hint of race baiting. Congrats.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

You are missing his point. He's not saying that people will ride their bikes TO Hartford, he's saying that people would ride their bikes WITHIN Hartford.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You are missing his point. He's not saying that people will ride their bikes TO Hartford, he's saying that people would ride their bikes WITHIN Hartford.
In all fairness, there is a bike trail that runs into Hartford from the east adjacent to I-84.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
In all fairness, there is a bike trail that runs into Hartford from the east adjacent to I-84.

But I don't think that is what upstater was talking about

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Buses and bikes. It's definitely a slow news day in the CR world.

Reaction Score
I lived in Hartford for four years; I rode the bus.

I thought the city had some solid things to build on. While it does not have the best food, I thought it had a nice mix of upscale dining and cheaper ethnic food (great little places like Piolin); and, while it's bar scene isn't as good as a larger city's like Boston's (or, larger, NYC), I thought it was okay in my younger days.

It certainly has a way to go to revitalize itself, but bringing in more college students, and investing in ways that help them find entertainment within the city will help.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Then I look forward to checking back in ten years and you guys can mock me with the active biking community.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Then I look forward to checking back in ten years and you guys can mock me with the active biking community.

In ten years the only thing I'll have to do with the biking community is making skid marks. Not that I don't do that now, mind you...

Husky25

Reaction Score
If gas prices keep rising, there will be no need to wait.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If gas prices keep rising, there will be no need to wait.

I must have missed the huge number of people who turned to their bikes when gas prices were actually rising.

Reaction Score
Is there an award show for intentionally misrepresenting a post? You are a shoe in for a 'Waylon' in the category for total misrepresentation combined with just a hint of race baiting. Congrats.

Yeah ... but it's a funny misrepresentation. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer