The Next Head Coach | Page 17 | The Boneyard

The Next Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who needs a frigging search firm to hire Brian Kelly. Oh Cincinnati keeps winning - oh and he's frigging an Irish Catholic.

You need a search firm to communicate with his people since no doubt Kelly was looking for the best deal possible and wasn't going to accept the first offer through his agents.

Also as you will recall, Edsall was in the mix for that job. He was probably on the list the "search" firm was working.

Again I don't think search firms find anything. They probably do background checks, facilitate and probably advise schools on who else candidates are talking to.

I would love to see a write up on what exactly these firms do.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I think this means that we are looking for a younger coach. Honestly, I was hoping for a shot at one of the great coaches in the MAC.

I don't think it precludes it Zoo as I think the key message point was the last sentence... "they have money to spend to get the right guy."

Reaction Score
I don't think it precludes it Zoo as I think the key message point was the last sentence... "they have money to spend to get the right guy."

That means to me that they are looking at high profile coordinators such as Smart and Herman.

Reaction Score
That means to me that they are looking at high profile coordinators such as Smart and Herman.

Could be... I get nervous w/ the "up and coming" coordinator lexicon. That could mean anything.

Then again - these sites have a tendency of running with any little shred of info (not unlike here).

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We've got an up-and-coming coordinator. Thought we were looking for a head coach? Just about anything they predict might be right at this point.
This means either of two thing:

A) The author did a bit of research, found out that our leadership has been contacting major donors and that when WM hired football coaches in the past he selected up and coming coordinators so he is speculating that this is the path we will take.

B) Information was intentionally leaked (likely from a search firm) to let the masses know that we do have the money and are very focused on our target (to increase the interest of one or two names who had little response when we were initially mentioned to them).

I would love to believe it is the latter but it could very easily be the former.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You need a search firm to communicate with his people since no doubt Kelly was looking for the best deal possible and wasn't going to accept the first offer through his agents.

Also as you will recall, Edsall was in the mix for that job. He was probably on the list the "search" firm was working.

Again I don't think search firms find anything. They probably do background checks, facilitate and probably advise schools on who else candidates are talking to.

I would love to see a write up on what exactly these firms do.

Parker outsources the background checks.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Tom Herman:

Urban sez not in November...

“And so my biggest fear is that a player or coach gets distracted. There’s going to be coaches on our staff that maybe get opportunities to become a head football coach. There’s a time for that. It’s certainly not in November of 2013. Any distractions like that are completely not fair to Ohio State. There is a time like after the season you want to have conversations or something, that’s your business because you have families to take care of and I agree with that."

As far as coaching jobs, it seems as though FAU athletic director Pat Chun may have interest in Luke Fickell or Everett Withers. Don’t be surprised if Kerry Coombs emerges as a candidate for the Miami (OH) job.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...ow-explains-his-biggest-fear-down-the-stretch

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Speaking of Tom Herman:

Urban sez not in November...Not sure about Urban's history. Did he wait until the end of season for the jobs that he took? Hypocrite?

“And so my biggest fear is that a player or coach gets distracted. There’s going to be coaches on our staff that maybe get opportunities to become a head football coach. There’s a time for that. It’s certainly not in November of 2013. Any distractions like that are completely not fair to Ohio State. There is a time like after the season you want to have conversations or something, that’s your business because you have families to take care of and I agree with that."

As far as coaching jobs, it seems as though FAU athletic director Pat Chun may have interest in Luke Fickell or Everett Withers. Don’t be surprised if Kerry Coombs emerges as a candidate for the Miami (OH) job.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...ow-explains-his-biggest-fear-down-the-stretch

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Let me try this again. I don't know Urban Meyer's history. Did he ever discuss an opportunity before a season's end in his career? Hypocrite?

Reaction Score
Like this list a lot. Don't see UConn paying $3 million -- $2.5 the limit -- Anae would be interesting. Also would help for matchup at Rent next season. There is going to be a next season BTW

They should pay a rising Star AT LEAST $$3.5 M, lets not go cheap Warde!!

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
With all due respect, if we are going to pay AT LEAST 3.5 million, I don't want a "rising" star....I want a star!

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm

I don't think $3.5 million is going to happen (unless as a result of incentive compensation), but I have a strong suspicion UConn is going to open the wallet on this hire. I have it on good authority that right before PP was fired WM, among other UConn officials, was making the rounds at FF County hedge-funds. I suspect they got some financial commitments before they pulled the trigger.

Reaction Score
A typical Cuse Grad Thamel b*tch-slap @ UConn mention but also other names tossed about above are mentioned for potential openings outside UConn (Lembo, Clawson, Morris, etc...)

Complete 2013 college football hiring and firing season primer
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...ch-hiring-firing-season-primer/#ixzz2lENLJx6v

>>Open: Connecticut. This isn't an especially attractive job, and many consider it to be one of the three least sought-after jobs in the AAC. The Huskies lack an established identity, tradition and a solid recruiting base. Recruiting against Boston College, Syracuse or Rutgers is an uphill battle because of league affiliation. AD Warde Manuel hired the firm Parker Executive Search to help.

As for potential candidates, could a Michigan grad (Manuel) hire a Michigan State assistant (Narduzzi)? Narduzzi would certainly give the Huskies an identity. Towson's Rob Ambrose pummeled UConn on Aug. 29. Was that a possible audition? UConn is still an upgrade from many MAC jobs, so one of the hot coaches there could decide to jump. Fordham's Joe Morehead should get a long look as well. Boston College defensive coordinator Don Brown deserves a look for his work this season, but the Huskies will likely opt to go younger.<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thamel is a A_S_S_H_A_T who sticks it to UCONN every chance he gets!!!!! He wishes his alma mater has facilities like we have!

Reaction Score
Open: Connecticut. This isn't an especially attractive job, and many consider it to be one of the three least sought-after jobs in the AAC. The Huskies lack an established identity, tradition and a solid recruiting base. Recruiting against Boston College, Syracuse or Rutgers is an uphill battle because of league affiliation

Jeez, I guess the AAC is the basement of the FBS...(will we ever get out of the AAC?)

Reaction Score
Open: Connecticut. This isn't an especially attractive job, and many consider it to be one of the three least sought-after jobs in the AAC. The Huskies lack an established identity, tradition and a solid recruiting base. Recruiting against Boston College, Syracuse or Rutgers is an uphill battle because of league affiliation

Jeez, I guess the AAC is the basement of the FBS...(will we ever get out of the AAC?)
I wouldn't wipe my a_s_s with the paper containing ANYTHING written by this Dog. Let's see how this plays out before taking what Thamel writes as gospel.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn isn't a better job than Temple, Tulsa and Tulane? Ok buddy. I guess they have unfettered recruiting against no teams in better leagues.

Reaction Score
Thamel is a A_S_S_H_A_T who sticks it to UCONN every chance he gets!!!!! He wishes his alma mater has facilities like we have!

Big time concurring with you..he didn't say too much year after year when we were sticking it to them on the field.

Reaction Score
Recent recruiting rankings by 247....

http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

We are ranked 86th...all the more reasoning to get someone in ASAP. Other thoughts on the negative rankings
is that it considers heavily weights 3, 4 & 5 stars which we have not been (4 & 5 especially) entice ever...
All the more reason to either get a big name that can attract top level talent capable of turning around programs , and let's be realistic....go with a proven rising star HC that can coach up no stars and 2 and 3 stars to a 5 star
level and turn around programs. Either way-spend the money

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
A typical Cuse Grad Thamel b*tch-slap @ UConn mention but also other names tossed about above are mentioned for potential openings outside UConn (Lembo, Clawson, Morris, etc...)

Complete 2013 college football hiring and firing season primer
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...ch-hiring-firing-season-primer/#ixzz2lENLJx6v

>>Open: Connecticut. This isn't an especially attractive job, and many consider it to be one of the three least sought-after jobs in the AAC. The Huskies lack an established identity, tradition and a solid recruiting base. Recruiting against Boston College, Syracuse or Rutgers is an uphill battle because of league affiliation. AD Warde Manuel hired the firm Parker Executive Search to help.

As for potential candidates, could a Michigan grad (Manuel) hire a Michigan State assistant (Narduzzi)? Narduzzi would certainly give the Huskies an identity. Towson's Rob Ambrose pummeled UConn on Aug. 29. Was that a possible audition? UConn is still an upgrade from many MAC jobs, so one of the hot coaches there could decide to jump. Fordham's Joe Morehead should get a long look as well. Boston College defensive coordinator Don Brown deserves a look for his work this season, but the Huskies will likely opt to go younger.<<

So recruiting for:

USC/UCF against FSU, UF, Miami, Georgia or
UH against TAMU, UT, LSU or
SMU against UT, OK, OK State, or
Memphis against Tenn, Vanderbilt, Ark, Miss St, Ole Miss, or
Tulane against LSU, TAMU, Ole Miss, or
ECU against NCState, UNC, Duke, Wake, USC or
Temple against Rutgers, PSU, Pitt, Maryland

These are all easier jobs? What an a.

Reaction Score
So recruiting for:

USC/UCF against FSU, UF, Miami, Georgia or
UH against TAMU, UT, LSU or
SMU against UT, OK, OK State, or
Memphis against Tenn, Vanderbilt, Ark, Miss St, Ole Miss, or
Tulane against LSU, TAMU, Ole Miss, or
ECU against NCState, UNC, Duke, Wake, USC or
Temple against Rutgers, PSU, Pitt, Maryland

These are all easier jobs? What an a.

Yup - excellent retort.

I really want to ask Thamel the Tool what is Syracuse's football identity and solid recruiting base (I get tradition)?

Besides the obvious piss on UConn - the article did sum up what may be open and who may be considered. I think he may be wrong on Mullens and the thought that both the AD and HC ML @ Virginia may go was interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom