The Next Head Coach | The Boneyard

The Next Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Right now I don't have any candidates in mind outside of Kiffin. I do think we need to get out of the mindset that there has to be ties to the East or Northeast. That is not where football is king. I'm saying it should be a young coordinator from one of the power conferences notably the SEC that would want to make a mark then move on to a more established program. Having a coach with ties to those areas would be an improvement. There are players in those areas that aren't good enough for the top programs but could start here. They'd still be better than the pool we're going after.

Essentially accept the fact that UCONN will be a stepping stone school. It's not going to be like the basketball programs where coaching longevity is norm. The whole UCONN athletic program will hinge on this next decision.

Reaction Score
Right now I don't have any candidates in mind outside of Kiffin. I do think we need to get out of the mindset that there has to be ties to the East or Northeast. That is not where football is king. I'm saying it should be a young coordinator from one of the power conferences notably the SEC that would want to make a mark then move on to a more established program. Having a coach with ties to those areas would be an improvement. There are players in those areas that aren't good enough for the top programs but could start here. They'd still be better than the pool we're going after.

Essentially accept the fact that UCONN will be a stepping stone school. It's not going to be like the basketball programs where coaching longevity is norm. The whole UCONN athletic program will hinge on this next decision.

that's one thing that people really need to get their heads around - this is a stepping-stone job. We were blessed that a guy like Randy stayed as long as he did. With CR and the general putrid state of things, a guy worth his salt won't be sticking around here for the long haul.

Reaction Score
I want a coach who first and foremost can evaluate talent. Next, I want the staff to focus recruiting on Florida, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. Next would be NJ, followed by New England. The blue chip New England kids will come when we win. The amount of talent in Florida is ridiculous.

I don't care what offense or defense the next head coach currently runs. I want a master motivator, and a coach who will promote this program. And I want him to assemble an enthusiastic, hungry staff.

Reaction Score
I have no idea why people think Kiffin is a good move. Did you not tire of watching him fail at USC with all the talent in the world?

He is a big name. I do believe he could win here though....less pressure than USC, and a cream puff conference that is the AAC

Reaction Score
I have no idea why people think Kiffin is a good move. Did you not tire of watching him fail at USC with all the talent in the world?

playing devil's advocate, he would work tremendously hard if hired here - this is his last "big time" college stop and he would know it.

Additional benefit:

Layla Kiffin in National Flag Blue and White.

Reaction Score
He is a big name. I do believe he could win here though....less pressure than USC, and a cream puff conference that is the AAC

He can't recruit at USC, you think he can get recruits to UCONN? Add to that he is a horrific game day coach, no thanks.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
No. Pick a MAC head coach. Or Ambrose or Moorhead.

I just don't see any established coach coming here without it being Coach P part II. I'd much rather have the younger coach who has the drive to give this job everything its going to require...the coach that is hungry to show the world that they a genius.

Reaction Score

All the talent in the world with less scholarships than every other school as well.....

Reaction Score
I still opt for a hungry SEC assistant ( don't have anyone in mind, but I'll bet WM could find one). I would let him clean house. I don't want anybody past or present who has been associated with the program. Give him a 5 year contract with an easy buyout, but with incentive and extension options. IDC if he's gone after 3 years as long as he turns the program around. Personally, I'd make a deal with the Devil if he'd give us a NC. I'm tired of hearing about Ambrose and Moorhead. Let's pony up for someone who can recruit and has some snot to him. BTW I'm one of the 1800.

Reaction Score
Wreck in Oakland because of Al Davis...he wanted to draft Calvin Johnson, Davis wanted Russell.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Really, the only plausible explanation that Lane Kiffin gets HC jobs any more is because of his dad. He's like Skip Holtz, if Skip Holtz were a giant @.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
No to Kiffin but if Warde isn't prepared to pay our next coach over $2M annually AND increase the pool for assistant coaches, we will be looking at the same uninspired coaching candidates that we did the last time.

Reaction Score
that's one thing that people really need to get their heads around - this is a stepping-stone job. We were blessed that a guy like Randy stayed as long as he did. With CR and the general putrid state of things, a guy worth his salt won't be sticking around here for the long haul.
RE stayed as long as he did because no one wanted him. He interviewed every year. But your point is correct, we were blessed by that circumstance.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
No to Kiffin but if Warde isn't prepared to pay our next coach over $2M annually AND increase the pool for assistant coaches, we will be looking at the same uninspired coaching candidates that we did the last time.

Agreed, but we'll never see that happen. You're talking about Big 5 conference money here, something I cannot believe UCONN will pony up to get the best quality coach available on the market. Kiffin was making 2.6 mil for the 2011 season. The idea that UCONN would pay anybody remotely close to that is a pipe dream, I'm afraid.

Reaction Score

I'm not buying this idea that we have to pay over 2 million, paying extra money doesn't guarantee anything. Bring in a young head coach who has had success at a lower level and dangle the possibility of a 2 million dollar salary in front of him as an incentive.

By the way, P was paid very well, and all that money we gave him bought us a dumpster fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom