The Next Head Coach | Page 16 | The Boneyard

The Next Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not Mangini, no NFL guys, we tried that and failed, We need a college coach who can win in college, recruit 18 year old kids and connect with them, not NFL guys. we need an up and coming coach or asst. that'll put his own mark on this program and make it relevant and exciting for people to come watch, like Mark Stoops is doing at Kentucky.

Wish list of mine : (no order)
Coley
Lembo
Narduzzi
Matt Wells (utah st)
Ambrose
Moorhead
Clawson
Morris (why not)
Bobo

Reaction Score
Pete Lembo would be on my interview list. I don't know much about Campbell to comment about him, but I've watched a few Ball State games this year on ESPN3 and I like the way Lembo gets his teams ready to play.

Here is a December 2012 article on Lembo. Programs were hunting him down then, he currently has Ball State cruising and will be sucked up by December 2013. Article intimates that an automatic qualifier type school, (as of Dec 2012) was in his horizon. Good read. Hope WM is in touch with his agents NOW to be part of the interview process.

http://overthepylon.net/2012/12/05/the-coaching-carousel-and-pete-lembo/

Reaction Score
If Kill is done at Minnesota, one of the Mac guys is likely headed there. Also the Bo. Pellini situation at Nebraska bears watching. They should have never fired Frank Solich, he is old, but he can coach.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Bo Pelini is in very very hot water. As a Nebraska fan I can tell you he isn't a great in game manager and is a "defensive mastermind" that has seemingly lost the ability to coach defense and hires his close friends as assistants. That might work here in the AAC but its not working at Nebraska.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
My updated list, as of 10/28 PM, that now includes 2013 salary:

I like these guys, in no particular order and without regard to what other openings these guys might be interested in:

Pat Narduzzi - DC, Mich St ($512K/yr): northeast ties, good recruiter, MSU's D has been stellar for years, B1G connection;
Scott Frost - OC, Oregon ($368/yr) : top name, likely will get a P5 job but I certainly hope Warde makes it known that we'd like to schedule an interview;
Jeremy Pruitt - DC, FSU ($542/yr): top recruiter, FSU D is aggressive and best in ACC;
Jim Tressel - Akron Advisor ($200/yr): stellar record in BCS conference including BCS bowls, good recruiter, comes with "show cause" penalty though;
Tom Herman - OC, OSU ($550/yr): B1G connection, good recruiter, could he lure Mike Vrabel (fast rising DL coach at OSU) with him to be his DC if we double his salary (currently $286/yr)??
Pete Lembo - HC, Ball St ($400/yr): offensive improvement each year, northeast ties, climbing the coaching ranks;
Josh McDaniels - OC, Patriots ($1.5M/yr): part of the Nick Saban (MSU) / Bill Belichick coaching tree and that speaks for itself (see: Bill O'Brien);
Greg Roman - OC, 49ers (UNK?): offensive coordinator at Stanford during Toby Gerhart and Andrew Luck years, likely will get a HC job in 2014;
Phillip Montgomery - OC, Baylor (UNK): prolific offense, TX ties, hot name for a 2014 HC job;
Robert Anae - OC, BYU (UNK): OL coach now OC at BYU (perhaps the fastest offense in the country);
James Coley - OC, Miami ($500K): great recruiter, offensive guy with FL connections;
Chad Morris - OC, Clemson ($1.3M/yr): offense speaks for itself but at his current salary, UCONN would need to be ready to at least double it;
Kirby Smart - DC, Alabama ($1.3M/yr): same as Chad Morris, just replace "offense" with "defense" and "Clemson" with "Alabama";
Dave Clausen - HC, Bowling Green ($400/yr): New York guy with northeast ties, offensive background.
Steve Addazio - HC, Boston College ($1.6M/yr): good recruiting reputation with CT ties, may bring Don Brown back with him?, would take a pay increase but certainly possible;
Tim DeRuyter - HC, Fresno State ($700/yr): unlikely to jump from west coast to east coast (CA native) but worth an interview;
Mark Hudspeth - HC, UL-Lafayette ($825/yr): southern roots could help stretch recruiting ties, intense, successful;
Eric Mangini - Consultant, 49ers (UNK): Belichick tree, CT/northeast ties, defensive genius and now rubbing elbows with Harbaugh/Roman offense (he's an offensive consultant for the 49ers);

Also, just for comparison's sake, here are the assistant coaches salary pools for each B1G team (figures combined with head coach salary but I did the math): http://www.freep.com/article/20130519/BLOG05/305190109/

1. Ohio State $7.716 million ($7.22 million in 2012, 1st) - $3.4M without Meyer;
2. Iowa $6,153,052 ($6.035 million, 2nd) - $2.3M without Ferentz;
3. Michigan $5.851 million ($6.009 million, 3rd) - $2.8M without Hoke;
4. Nebraska $5.5235 million ($4.905 million, 4th) - $2.6M without Pelini;
5. Wisconsin $4.295 million ($4.571 million, 5th) - $2.4M without Andersen;
6. MSU $4,207,775 ($4.098 million, 6th) - $2.3M without Dantonio;
7. Purdue $4.01 million ($2.535 million, 10th) - $2M without Hazell;
8. Illinois $3.665 million ($3.914 million, 7th) - $2M without Beckman;
9. Minnesota $3.3 million ($3.445 million, 8th) - $2.1M without Kill;
10. Indiana $3,216,300.24 ($3.22 million, 9th) - $2M without Wilson;
Rutgers pays $2.5M and Maryland pays $3.9M

Reaction Score
Wow, those assistant pool numbers are staggering. Really interesting stuff though!!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Wow, those assistant pool numbers are staggering. Really interesting stuff though!!

I should have clarified that the pools were totals, including head coaching salary. I edited to be more clear.

Reaction Score
Plans to use? What are they waiting for?

If it "leaked";) out - that tells me they've narrowed down the field and want to get down into the nitty gritty dirty work

>>When a university signs a deal with Parker Executive Search, access to this database is the big draw. It's truly like a dating service, complete with a prospective coach's mug shot in the top left corner of the screen. Also included in the firm's fee, which typically runs between $60,000 and $90,000, plus expenses, is what it believes is soup-to-nuts service, including:

- Handling all calls inquiring about the coaching vacancy
- Reviewing its database with search committee members and providing all members with a private log-in to access the database remotely
- Contacting coaches or agents to request interviews
- Arranging for travel and accommodations for candidates who will be interviewed
- Conducting public records searches -- credit, criminal and motor vehicle reports -- of all candidates
- Confirming academic degrees
- Receiving a signed statement from candidates confirming information and affirming that nothing else need be disclosed
- Negotiating a contract on behalf of the university
- Receiving signed terms of an agreement from the coaching candidate and all parties before the introductory news conference

The real meat, though, is the database, a veritable treasure trove of information. The profiles of more than 1,000 basketball coaches and 2,000 football coaches are a click away.<<

Reaction Score
Buzz I'm hearing is the Boneyard is about to flip out. Seriously, what are we waiting for?

See above^^^ response to Metsfan2323 which disappeared. Doesn't mean that they haven't been engaged - just that it got out.

Reaction Score
Isn't this the firm that butchered the rutgers ad hire?

Yes. They never found out (or didn't disclose) the issues about her being abusive to athletes when she was the volleyball coach at Tennessee

Reaction Score
Isn't this the firm that butchered the rutgers ad hire?

Yup - Everyone of these firms has success stories and not-so-successful stories. Tennessee used Parker to hire Butch Jones, Vandy for James Franklin and ND for Brian Kelly. Of course, Pitt also used them for Mike Heywood :rolleyes:

Still the AD's responsibility to make the final choice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Their website lists Buffalo as a football coach client so Warde has apparently used them before. Looks like they have a good track record. Miss State also listed as a client.

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
People need to understand that the firm doesn't make the hire. I'm sure WM has names in mind, and the firm can provide information, see if there's mutual interest, etc. They may also be in a position to throw out names that maybe haven't been considered, but then it's up to UConn to decide if they want to pursue. This company doesn't make bad hires, or good ones. Schools do.

Reaction Score
People need to understand that the firm doesn't make the hire. I'm sure WM has names in mind, and the firm can provide information, see if there's mutual interest, etc. They may also be in a position to throw out names that maybe haven't been considered, but then it's up to UConn to decide if they want to pursue. This company doesn't make bad hires, or good ones. Schools do.

hathaway.jpg

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My updated list, as of 10/28 PM, that now includes 2013 salary:

Tom Herman - OC, OSU ($550/yr): B1G connection, good recruiter, could he lure Mike Vrabel (fast rising DL coach at OSU) with him to be his DC if we double his salary (currently $286/yr)??
If a) we do place Herman at the top of our list (a distinct possibility, no less plausible than Lembo, Narduzzi, etc.) b) Herman does decide to accept (also a possibility as we may be a bit more attractive than some of us want to believe) and c) Herman has Vrabel pegged as his DC, i believe that our geography would be a distinct advantage (considering where h was an NFL player). Providing enough of an increase on his current salary (if it really is $286k/yr) may be a stumbling block however as even with the increase in salaries we are looking to be able to provide, $572k (or even something within shouting distance of that number) for a coordinator may be a bit beyond what we can budget.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Who needs a frigging search firm to hire Brian Kelly. Oh Cincinnati keeps winning - oh and he's frigging an Irish Catholic.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You might as well set $150,000 on fire.

But like Upstater says - these programs lose money. Yes if you spend $150,000 on $500 worth of work... Yep you'll lose money.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99