The Next Head Coach | Page 10 | The Boneyard

The Next Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cam Cameron? Dead God no. I almost can't wait for the season to finish to see the candidates list. Last time around it was underwhelming, but Hathaway's search.

Reaction Score
I think you have to give Ambrose a serious look. I also have not thrown TJ overboard. I think he has the right stuff, but last week shook my confidence. I thought he would make positive movement week over week. That did not happen in Cincy. Not sure if JC himself (you can choose which JC) would make much of a difference as I am beginning to come over to the side that has argued that we have some real personnel talent issues especially in the trenches.

Reaction Score
I put him in the wildcard category - it has to be the right fit. Same w/ Smart - easy to put him on a list - but he ain't going anywhere right now w/ the way Bama treats him.

Not sure what Venables is waiting for, maybe K State, but with the way he is paid at Clemson there is not a huge rush for him to leave.

Smart I think is waiting for the UGA job, guy makes 1.3mill to be a coordinator at the best program in the country, not a bad gig.

Reaction Score
Since we really can't afford the coach the program needs we will have to get the following:
Existing head coach with 3 to 5 years in charge.
He teams and system must provide an entertaining style.

He has to be a good manager and evaluater of staff.
He has to be able to attract top notch assistants.
(Since success here will probably be a stepping stone grooming a replacement from within the system would be great.)
That would mean a distinct UConn style.
He has to have a proven record as a recruier.
He should be between 35 and 45 years old.
He should have never been fired from a HC job.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Going up against USC, Texas and possibly Nebraska this offseason.

I like these guys, in no particular order:

Pat Narduzzi - DC, Mich St
Scott Frost - OC, Oregon
Jeremy Pruitt - DC, FSU
Jim Tressel - Akron Advisor
Tom Herman - OC, OSU
Pete Lembo - HC, Ball St
Josh McDaniels - OC, Patriots

Reaction Score

Scott Frost - OC, Oregon
Jeremy Pruitt - DC, FSU
Tom Herman - OC, OSU
Pete Lembo - HC, Ball St

If Bo craps the bed in Nebraska, you can cross Scott Frost off your list.

Dooley

Reaction Score
If Bo craps the bed in Nebraska, you can cross Scott Frost off your list.

Agreed. I don't know why he isn't being linked at USC too. Maybe he is and nobody is saying anything. If for whatever reason he "slips through", then I'll pay for his plane ticket out here for the interview!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I have no clue as to who is being targeted for the job but I can assure you that things will not play out as they did when Hathaway was AD.

With Hathaway it was amateur night. SH & WM are professional and serious. They absolutely are not playing games with this hire.

Reaction Score
Not sure what Venables is waiting for, maybe K State, but with the way he is paid at Clemson there is not a huge rush for him to leave.

Smart I think is waiting for the UGA job, guy makes 1.3mill to be a coordinator at the best program in the country, not a bad gig.
Venables only makes $800K...OC Chad Morris makes $1.3 Million. If Venables gets a HC job..he will kost likely end up with a deal of about $1.8 million per yr. He WAS on top of my list with Narduzzi..the FSU game sat night made that change quickly!

Reaction Score

Scott Frost - OC, Oregon
Jeremy Pruitt - DC, FSU
Tom Herman - OC, OSU
Pete Lembo - HC, Ball St
Dooley if you are going to put McDaniels on there..I think Greg Roman of the 49ers would be a better fit in the college game. He has coached at the college level (OC at Stanford under Harbaugh)..McDaniels has not.

Reaction Score
I think you have to give Ambrose a serious look. I also have not thrown TJ overboard. I think he has the right stuff, but last week shook my confidence. I thought he would make positive movement week over week. That did not happen in Cincy. Not sure if JC himself (you can choose which JC) would make much of a difference as I am beginning to come over to the side that has argued that we have some real personnel talent issues especially in the trenches.

TJ's in a real hole with that o-line. This week loses Cruz (Gus not Ted) on top of everything else and we paid a price. He's filtering through a lot of "stuff" right now and it may take 3 games just to stabilize coaches and players roles. Realize I took this OT but a quick turnaround was asking for a minor miracle. Game 4 might be a good time to start evaluating progress. 1 and 2 were just a shot in the dark.

Reaction Score
As long as we're looking at coordinators, James Coley spent two seasons under Nick Saban with the Miami Dolphins, a few years under Jimbo Fisher at Florida State and is now an OC calling the plays for the undefeated Miami Hurricanes.
"Growing up in Florida and spending much of his coaching days in the area, Coley knows the hot recruiting spots like the back of his hand. Because of this, he is widely considered one of the top recruiters in the country, which will be a reason why a struggling program would offer him a hefty paycheck to be a head coach. Coley is only 40 and would have no problem bringing in a top-10 recruiting class anywhere he ends up. Now he just needs a team to take a chance on him."
We've got the money to attract him. He's young, is a winner, wants to be a HC and this would be a great turnaround gig for him. It's also a chance for us to get a great recruiter from the FL area. We'll need that with our current AAC affiliation. He can make a name for himself with us. I'd call that a win-win.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Dooley if you are going to put McDaniels on there..I think Greg Roman of the 49ers would be a better fit in the college game. He has coached at the college level (OC at Stanford under Harbaugh)..McDaniels has not.

I'll be sure to get him an interview! :) I forgot about him to be honest but, yeah, if he's interested, he's definitely worthy of an interview!

Reaction Score
As long as we're looking at coordinators, James Coley spent two seasons under Nick Saban with the Miami Dolphins, a few years under Jimbo Fisher at Florida State and is now an OC calling the plays for the undefeated Miami Hurricanes.
"Growing up in Florida and spending much of his coaching days in the area, Coley knows the hot recruiting spots like the back of his hand. Because of this, he is widely considered one of the top recruiters in the country, which will be a reason why a struggling program would offer him a hefty paycheck to be a head coach. Coley is only 40 and would have no problem bringing in a top-10 recruiting class anywhere he ends up. Now he just needs a team to take a chance on him."
We've got the money to attract him. He's young, is a winner, wants to be a HC and this would be a great turnaround gig for him. It's also a chance for us to get a great recruiter from the FL area. We'll need that with our current AAC affiliation. He can make a name for himself with us. I'd call that a win-win.
Coley was a HUGE hire for Golden. He was arguably the best recruiter Fisher had on his staff at FSU.

Dooley

Reaction Score

I like the sound of Coley too. I'll add him to my list too!

Reaction Score

I like this scenario as well. Curious - where is the quote sourced from?

Reaction Score
UConnReport
1:40pm via Web
Hearing from a source that Eric Mangini would listen if #UConn reached out to him about the job

Gawd - December can't come quick 'nuff!!! Guessing Mangini's agent sent an email or made a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom