The News Is Getting Worse At Rutgers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The News Is Getting Worse At Rutgers

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While I laud CVS for what she has done over her career in guiding her players both on the court and even more so off the court, some times she takes on more than she’s really capable off being successful at. She is 70, has her own health issues and while noble to take on women who are in need of guidance, she is doing a disservice to the other 10/11/12 women and the other 3 coaches on the team by spending energy on players who refuse to get it vs. focusing on the players who do follow the rules. Taking on Alexis Morris, while noble is not a good plan if you already had some players that were struggling with your guidance (as seems to be the case due to these dismissals with prior infractions). Morris was officially booted off of Baylor for another violation of rules (2nd known) so she couldn’t follow Kim’s mandate for coming back. Now CVS who already has “problem team members” is adding to the woes. This is not fair to her good team members or her incoming class. The old saying “it takes one bad apple to ruin the bunch” and this sounds like she already has some “questionable” apples. Again, I laud her career of doing this but at 70, not the best process to continue.
Wishing for the best, but preparing for the inevitable.

Last edited:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I recall some articles in the Courant from a few years back on how much Jim Calhoun tried to help troubled kids turn their lives around while at UConn. I’m pretty certain he and CVS aren’t the only ones with this mindset.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't think so. I think she was referring to the "team family" environment extends off the court. Sounds more to me she was describing herself feeling like an adopted kid integrating into an existing family -- its the system she couldnt get into, not the basketball.

I don't assign blame for failure to anyone -- its a blameless situation -- sometime's you just don't fit somewhere.

But the recruiting critics don't take "the system" into account --- its not the game, its the system that produces "the game". If a kid doesn't want it, or doesn't fit into it, she doesn't belong here. Most critics of recruitment here on the BY evaluate on BB skills and team needs alone. There is also some sentiment expressed that the system should change (Geno/CD), but I am not an advocate of that.

CVS's outlook is completely different from that. It is difficult for folks that haven't seen the situation that some of these kids come from to understand. There is a different value system there. Forgiveness with 2nd chances come by right, and immediately, with a very low, or nonexistence, of the need to see a substantial change in behavior before those opportunities are re-extended. Or a reliance on God is expressed instead of an adoption of personal responsibility. Read Morris's tweet when she announced she was going to Rutgers....no personal responsibility, its all put off on God. You can here this almost every day in local school board meetings, police commission meetings, any sentencing hearing in court --- some iteration of God forgives, so we all should.

It's all fine, it sometimes works - until it doesn't - like when your 3 time offender ties up her room mate and beats her and gets carted off to jail -- and then the general public gets a view into that world, -- and is abhorred by it. --- And the "Thug U" tag gets put on you -- CVS is a hero in the hood , not so much to suburban whites --- neither side understands the other
While you are right about some of what you say, you clearly don't really have much insight into CVS. While she may believe most folks deserve second chances - actually, so do I from a completely different environment - she does not believe second chances are a "right". They have to be earned - by saying of doing the right things. If Morris didn't say she behaved wrongly to CVS and took responsibility for 2 legal violations that resulted in arrests - then I believe she would not be allowed to join Rutgers. I was around Vivian a lot, as much as any general fan would be, and while she "plays" a bit flaky, I also was around her when push came to shove and she is not a push-over I can assure you.

Reaction Score
While you are right about some of what you say, you clearly don't really have much insight into CVS. While she may believe most folks deserve second chances - actually, so do I from a completely different environment - she does not believe second chances are a "right". They have to be earned - by saying of doing the right things. If Morris didn't say she behaved wrongly to CVS and took responsibility for 2 legal violations that resulted in arrests - then I believe she would not be allowed to join Rutgers. I was around Vivian a lot, as much as any general fan would be, and while she "plays" a bit flaky, I also was around her when push came to shove and she is not a push-over I can assure you.

You prove my point

ahhh - my point is saying is enough -

Morris said the right things before - which resulted in a path back onto the Baylor team.

Her word is proven to be no good.

Repeating the behavior within a very short time resulted in her dismissal.

Now, you “assure” me “that if Morris didn’t say .....”

So CVS gives a 3rd chance - to someone who has not demonstrated that she is capable of keeping her word.

Do you see now ?
[ ]

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You prove my point
ahhh - my point is saying is enough -
Morris said the right things before - which resulted in a path back onto the Baylor team.
Her word is proven to be no good.
Repeating the behavior within a very short time resulted in her dismissal.
Now, you “assure” me “that if Morris didn’t say .....”
So CVS gives a 3rd chance - to someone who has not demonstrated that she is capable of keeping her word.
Do you see now ?
It’s a philosophy of forgiveness without penance . She believes that. It’s the value system she lives in. It’s straight Al Sharpton.
Love the twisted logic here! @KnightBridgeAZ is not proving your point he has stated "you clearly don't really have much insight into CVS". As long as you continue to gloss over those points I'll do my best to try and ignore your tired, unnecessary, race baiting, references to the Ghetto and Al Sharpton as it relates to the Rutgers WCBB program.

Reaction Score
Love the twisted logic here! @KnightBridgeAZ is not proving your point he has stated "you clearly don't really have much insight into CVS". As long as you continue to gloss over those points I'll do my best to try and ignore your tired, unnecessary, race baiting, references to the Ghetto and Al Sharpton as it relates to the Rutgers WCBB program.
that wasn't baiting........there are different value systems -- not arguing right or wrong --- or better or worse

I do not know CVS...that's not a gloss over.

But CVS, by her own actions, expresses something..... and that something, whatever it is, is decidedly different than what you see in other institutions.....Rutgers is open to some players that would not have an opportunity at other institutions........that cannot be denied.....that is the gloss over.....I am also not arguing whether those admissions are a benefit to the program or not.... I am not Imus, nor am I Mushnick.

You can ignore what you like, but the issues will still be there. Seriously unacceptable behavior by players, like assault, will continue and accelerate as long as there is no penalty involved. Having to transfer is not a penalty.

You also cannot deny that attitudes over race, women, and sexual orientation, are all over this sport, and all generate their own headwinds to growth. That is reality, ignoring it and glossing it over helps nobody in the long run.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Stringer won't return to Rutgers for NCAAs -
Rutgers women's basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer, who has been on sick leave since Feb. 24, will not be returning for the NCAA tournament as she had initially planned.
Rutgers announced Thursday that Stringer was advised by her doctors to continue to rest to achieve full recovery. The Scarlet Knights, 22-9 overall and 13-5 in the Big Ten, advanced to the semifinals of the league tournament and are expected to get an NCAA tournament at-large bid.

[Story]

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Does this not ring true with anyone else. We had the issue with her player then the non-specific health issue. Something just feels off.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Does this not ring true with anyone else. We had the issue with her player then the non-specific health issue. Something just feels off.
If you read the entire story (or at least the article I did) the AD was quite supportive and it is stated that she will return "later in the year".

Not noted here on the BY, but covered on the RU board, charges were dropped against the player (that was arrested, Caitlan Jenkins (sp?) that was dismissed from the team. As was pointed out on the RU board, that doesn't mean that she didn't (or did) whatever she was exactly accused of (Criminal Mischief and Domestic Abuse), but she wasn't expelled, just dismissed from the Basketball program. She is continuing in school and going to attempt the WNBA.

As someone also pointed out, these days the accusation of "domestic abuse" is pretty much across the board a lose / lose situation regardless of what becomes of the situation. Had Rutgers not dismissed her from the program they would have been accused of condoning domestic abuse.

Reaction Score
Kristen’s side

It’s always said —- it’s not for everybody

Ex-UConn Player Kristen Phillips Talks About How Tough It Is In Storrs
Different people are motivated in different ways, finding the way is sometimes difficult because we just do not walk in other’s shoes. It takes a special skill to motivate kids but once you do the reward is worth the effort. I know I was one of those hard to motivate kids and a special person took the time to help me see I COULD DO IT!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Do you remember Kristin Phillips? That goes a long way back into history, but I think it is such a case. And if the rumors are true, then AEH was a similar case.
No Kristen was not dismissed for team violations

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom