The News Is Getting Worse At Rutgers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The News Is Getting Worse At Rutgers

Reaction Score
I live in NJ and root for Rutgers as well....it's disappointing that these kind of player issues seem to be happening with greater frequency at the school in other sports too especially the football team...
It's what happens when you value wins over character. It's not just a problem at one school or one sport. It's what happens when large amounts of money are allowed to corrupt the system as it has the NCAA.

Reaction Score
It's what happens when you value wins over character. It's not just a problem at one school or one sport. It's what happens when large amounts of money are allowed to corrupt the system as it has the NCAA.
It's what happens when you value wins over character. It's not just a problem at one school or one sport. It's what happens when large amounts of money are allowed to corrupt the system as it has the NCAA.[/QUOT

Hoopsfan22---Come on---Hoops over Character is a low blow. Look at the (abt) 360 wbb teams in division one, each team wants to win. They are not Christine and Geno; Even they have had one or two with not substantial character. They usually don't last the first year. However, all coaches look for talent and kids with 'Game" some come with flaws. C Viv has her share of Flawed kids. I haven't liked her program since Prince took Maya by the arm and yanked her to the floor. Coaches can't all get Maya's, Stewies, Napeesa, C Williams, they take what can play and what they can get.

Reaction Score
two players kicked off the team and an ailing coach nearing retirement, hardly a settled atmosphere to start a college career....oh make that three as incoming transfer Alexis Morris was also arrested for assault while at Baylor
Winning settles a lot of things.....Morris and Davenport look like a helluva combo to start the settling.

Just getting Morris out of the state, and outside of driving distance of Beaumont gives her a chance, although to this point, from her tweets at least, she appears not to have taken ownership of any of her troubles,

I'd be more concerned about CVS - exhaustion, not good - they are not specifying illness, just exhaustion -- players come and go -- exhaustion could be a big big deal

Reaction Score
Soooo ------ ur sayin' u won't suggest Pitino or Calipari as Geno replacements when the day comes ?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
WBB is hardly about money and the situation at Rutgers is a little more complex than simply a desire to win games.

Rutgers established programs to accept and educate economically and socially disadvantaged students going back to the early 1900’s. Perhaps the most renowned example was the son of a former slave who received an academic scholarship to Rutgers. Paul Robeson was an AA football player, Rhodes Scholar and magnificent Baritone who we might never have heard of if Rutgers hadn’t given him an opportunity.

The current problems at Rutgers are reflective of the problems with society itself. Geno has spoken frequently about the challenges in dealing with young people today vs when he was starting out, and Geno generally is dealing with the cream of the crop.

What is also different is that for many years women’s sports were immune from many of the incidents that plagued men’s sports. Over the past 10+ years there has been an unwelcome trend in women’s sports that reflects a growing problem with maturity and behavior among young women athletes that mirrors some of the problems that have plagued men’s sports for years.

While Rutgers WBB might have more than their share of problems, they are clearly not alone. Baylor, TN, TX and even UConn have had to deal with behavioral problems in recent years.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's a very broad indictment of Coach Stringer & WCBB.
Having met and talked to coach Stringer on multiple occasions I can assure you that she is in coaching in large part for the benefit of the young ladies that come through her program. She believes in 2nd (some times third) chances in a way that that you and I might not, but to equate her values to "wins over character" is blatantly unfair. The NCAA might be considered a corrupt institution. As it relates to WCBB though where are these large sums of money?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's a very broad indictment of Coach Stringer & WCBB.
Having met and talked to coach Stringer on multiple occasions I can assure you that she is in coaching in large part for the benefit of the young ladies that come through her program. She believes in 2nd (some times third) chances in a way that that you and I might not, but to equate her values to "wins over character" is blatantly unfair. The NCAA might be considered a corrupt institution; as it relates to WCBB though where are these large sums of money?
"as it relates to WCBB though where are these large sums of money? "

In terms of "life changing money" - no not there

But in comparative terms of overall salary and career advancement -- Yes

That's why men are in the WBB coaching game now

That's why you have the "cottage industry" effects of individual coaching, consultants, rating services, tournaments etc springing up around it as opposed to years ago. Sponsorships in shoes and uni's, name recognition and advertising. Branding your name.

The money is cumulative when adding up the total money in the sector. It's not mens money, but a million here, a million there and there, and all of a sudden you got big money.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yes. Though, she seemed to have an attitude problem sometimes. She must have did something bad to go straight to dismissal.

It wasn't straight to dismissal: she was suspended for 10 games at the beginning of the year for the same issue. It's all in the article. fingerwagging-smiley-emoticon.gif

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
A couple of unanswered questions here. Of course all of us nosy people want to know why the players were dismissed but in my opinion not very important. However, I wonder if CVS' LOA is directly related to their dismissal or just a coincidence. Were they dismissed over her objections? Was she willing to give them a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th chance only to be overruled by the AD? Is "exhaustion" a cover for her absence?

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
It wasn't straight to dismissal: she was suspended for 10 games at the beginning of the year for the same issue. It's all in the article. View attachment 40173
Yes, it had slipped my mind that she was suspended the first 10 games. So she should have known better.

Reaction Score
A couple of unanswered questions here. Of course all of us nosy people want to know why the players were dismissed but in my opinion not very important. However, I wonder if CVS' LOA is directly related to their dismissal or just a coincidence. Were they dismissed over her objections? Was she willing to give them a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th chance only to be overruled by the AD? Is "exhaustion" a cover for her absence?
From what I know of the relationship between CVS and Pat Hobbs, I would say the answer is no. I could see part of Vivian's exhaustion coming from having to deal with the problems these two young women have caused for her team this season, but I do not believe the AD would force her to dismiss the students if she didn't feel she needed to. In Caitlin's case, the university may have a policy as to what happens if a student is convicted or pleads guilty to criminal charges, I know at some schools it is a mandatory loss of scholarship, but as for whatever CC's issue was, it was stated that it was not criminal, so I am quite sure the disciplinary action is at the Coach's discretion.

Reaction Score
WBB is hardly about money and the situation at Rutgers is a little more complex than simply a desire to win games.

Rutgers established programs to accept and educate economically and socially disadvantaged students going back to the early 1900’s. Perhaps the most renowned example was the son of a former slave who received an academic scholarship to Rutgers. Paul Robeson was an AA football player, Rhodes Scholar and magnificent Baritone who we might never have heard of if Rutgers hadn’t given him an opportunity.

The current problems at Rutgers are reflective of the problems with society itself. Geno has spoken frequently about the challenges in dealing with young people today vs when he was starting out, and Geno generally is dealing with the cream of the crop.

What is also different is that for many years women’s sports were immune from many of the incidents that plagued men’s sports. Over the past 10+ years there has been an unwelcome trend in women’s sports that reflects a growing problem with maturity and behavior among young women athletes that mirrors some of the problems that have plagued men’s sports for years.

While Rutgers WBB might have more than their share of problems, they are clearly not alone. Baylor, TN, TX and even UConn have had to deal with behavioral problems in recent years.

You missed two of RU's greatest graduates JKillmer and C. Dailey.

Reaction Score
It only makes sense that a program that runs a more free wheeling and less structured basketball offense would also attract the type of player who would reflect that tendency in their personal life as well. Kudo's to Stringer for her efforts she makes to help that type of player, but it also comes with certain consequences. It is hard to walk a tight rope of running a top D1 program while attempting to be a social worker with your players.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Has any Husky been "dismissed from the team for violating team rules?" I know that some have been asked to request a transfer but I can't remember any disciplinary dismissals.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Has any Husky been "dismissed from the team for violating team rules?" I know that some have been asked to request a transfer but I can't remember any disciplinary dismissals.
Do you remember Kristin Phillips? That goes a long way back into history, but I think it is such a case. And if the rumors are true, then AEH was a similar case.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Do you remember Kristin Phillips? That goes a long way back into history, but I think it is such a case. And if the rumors are true, then AEH was a similar case.

Kristen Phillips was pretty much asked to leave the program but it had nothing to do with violating team rules. Her issues were about effort and failing to meet the demands of the program. Andi apparently did violate some team rules but I don't think she was actually dismissed from the team. She was encouraged to move on and she did.

Reaction Score
I live in NJ and have never been a fan of CVS - possibly because of the way her team played UConn. That said I think she works really hard to give young ladies, who may not have had the best guidance, a chance to participate in a high level program. Generally speaking she has not attracted the very top talent and part if her taking on what some would term high risk cases may be to improve her teams chances on the floor but I truly believe the overwhelming reason is her compassion and desire to help these young women.

Reaction Score
Yup, seeing that there are consequences to bad actions is a terrible environment for a kid.
I think you took my post completely wrong. If I'm a parent with a good kid whose already been screwed over by the system, why would I want to then place my child into a possible war zone where kids are acting up and getting suspended and dismissed. Not exactly an environment for an 18 year old a few hundred miles away from home. I think if I was that parent, I'd advise my child to find a more positive team environment since she has her pick of any school. I have no issue with discipline.

Reaction Score
Kristen Phillips was pretty much asked to leave the program but it had nothing to do with violating team rules. Her issues were about effort and failing to meet the demands of the program. Andi apparently did violate some team rules but I don't think she was actually dismissed from the team. She was encouraged to move on and she did.

Kristen’s side

It’s always said —- it’s not for everybody

Ex-UConn Player Kristen Phillips Talks About How Tough It Is In Storrs

Reaction Score
Poor kid. She notes things going on on "and off the court" more than once. Too bad. Sounds like she was dealing with big emotional and family problems. Really sad to see any kid struggle like this.
I don't think so. I think she was referring to the "team family" environment extends off the court. Sounds more to me she was describing herself feeling like an adopted kid integrating into an existing family -- its the system she couldnt get into, not the basketball.

I don't assign blame for failure to anyone -- its a blameless situation -- sometime's you just don't fit somewhere.

But the recruiting critics don't take "the system" into account --- its not the game, its the system that produces "the game". If a kid doesn't want it, or doesn't fit into it, she doesn't belong here. Most critics of recruitment here on the BY evaluate on BB skills and team needs alone. There is also some sentiment expressed that the system should change (Geno/CD), but I am not an advocate of that.

CVS's outlook is completely different from that. It is difficult for folks that haven't seen the situation that some of these kids come from to understand. There is a different value system there. Forgiveness with 2nd chances come by right, and immediately, with a very low, or nonexistence, of the need to see a substantial change in behavior before those opportunities are re-extended. Or a reliance on God is expressed instead of an adoption of personal responsibility. Read Morris's tweet when she announced she was going to Rutgers....no personal responsibility, its all put off on God. You can here this almost every day in local school board meetings, police commission meetings, any sentencing hearing in court --- some iteration of God forgives, so we all should.

It's all fine, it sometimes works - until it doesn't - like when your 3 time offender ties up her room mate and beats her and gets carted off to jail -- and then the general public gets a view into that world, -- and is abhorred by it. --- And the "Thug U" tag gets put on you -- CVS is a hero in the hood , not so much to suburban whites --- neither side understands the other

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom