The new Vandy coach will be...[merged thread] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The new Vandy coach will be...[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Is Vanderbilt traditionally much of a player for TN talent? Private schools often are more nationally relevant than locally.
Tennessee has gotten more of the top in state talent. Johnson. Frost, Brogdon, Latina Davis, and others.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Is Vanderbilt traditionally much of a player for TN talent? Private schools often are more nationally relevant than locally.

Traditionally no, but the next coach could decide to change that.

Reaction Score
The mere fact that Vanderbilt has shown a willingness to accept Stephanie White's late arrival, IMO, makes Ms White the front runner. It has to be intriguing for any program to hire a coach from the professional ranks. I, personally, am not sold on Ms White. Yes, she did a great job last season with Indiana, but the Fever was not exactly a rebuilding project.

Reaction Score
To me it seems hard to believe Stephanie White wants to coach Vandy over the Indiana Fever! She was the long time top Asst. for Lynn Dunn and has been viewed as the heir apparent. Then gets the job and after 1 year possibly heads off to a college job. While with Indiana, to my knowledge, she has not put her name in for really top schools openings such as Duke, TX, LSU, Penn St., etc. to pick Vandy, which is a good school but not one of the elite schools!
There must be something brewing behind the scene that is drawing her out!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
To me it seems hard to believe Stephanie White wants to coach Vandy over the Indiana Fever! She was the long time top Asst. for Lynn Dunn and has been viewed as the heir apparent. Then gets the job and after 1 year possibly heads off to a college job. While with Indiana, to my knowledge, she has not put her name in for really top schools openings such as Duke, TX, LSU, Penn St., etc. to pick Vandy, which is a good school but not one of the elite schools!

Coaches do not get paid well in the WNBA.

Reaction Score

The duke opening was in 2007.
Penn st 2008.
LSU 2011.
Texas 2012.

She only became a head coach in 2015.

Reaction Score
The duke opening was in 2007.
Penn st 2008.
LSU 2011.
Texas 2012.

She only became a head coach in 2015.

vowelguy- - - She has been the Head Asst. under coach Dunn for a lot of years that's why I said after all this time in as the heir to the throne it seems hard to believe she'd leave after 1 year as HC!

Reaction Score

I disagree.

None of the schools you mentioned have had an opening for a long time. Coaching in the WNBA is not the most stable job in the world, nor is it prestigious.

On the other hand, Vanderbilt is one of the top schools in the country and being in the P5, she would not have to worry about her next paycheck. Football will take care of that.

I don't see too many college coaches taking WNBA coaching jobs unless they were fired or terminated and in job limbo. I can't recall a single college coach leaving to coach in the WNBA. Maybe I have bad memory...

Reaction Score
I don't see too many college coaches taking WNBA coaching jobs unless they were fired or terminated and in job limbo. I can't recall a single college coach leaving to coach in the WNBA. Maybe I have bad memory...

Anne Donovan.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Anne Donovan.
Not really, although she did have a stint long before her brief Seton Hall career. I think she just wanted a change. A better example would be Van Chancellor, although he was right at the beginning of the WNBA.

However, as to White, the article I read talks about whats "best for her family" as she and her wife have 3 kids. As others have noted, although it isn't chump change, of course, WNBA coaches are not all that highly paid, I think she will make more at Vandy if she ends up there. Nashville ain't a bad place, and Vandy isn't a bad place to coach. Lots of upside and a strong history of (admittedly somewhat modest) success.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Coaches do not get paid well in the WNBA.

Exactly. A coach leaving a top 25 P5 WBB program to go coach in the WNBA is doing it for reasons other than financial. I see the reverse being far more likely, so I wouldn't be surprised if White ended up at Vanderbilt. There's really no reason to leave college to coach in the WNBA unless you just have an urge to coach at the professional level. If the average HC in the WNBA is making around 250k like somebody posted here then that's a substantial decrease than what most HCs at top 10 programs are making. For instance, last time I checked (about a year or so ago), Dawn had a base salary of 800K and was bringing in over 250K in bonuses/incentives. So she's getting paid about $1 million dollars to coach women's college basketball... I heard Geno is in the $2 million+ club and I'm sure McGraw, Mulkey, Walz, Frese, Mitchell and others are up there as well..

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Exactly. A coach leaving a top 25 P5 WBB program to go coach in the WNBA is doing it for reasons other than financial. I see the reverse being far more likely, so I wouldn't be surprised if White ended up at Vanderbilt.

All very true, but Ms White has not taken a vow of poverty during the off-WNBA-season. I don't know her exact compensation as an analyst, but when combined with her summer job may be sufficient to place her in a financial comfort zone. Another consideration: Talking into a microphone is surely less rigorous than hitting the recruiting trail.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
So, in between tweets from Raoul, reports from The Tennessean, where does this position stand?Just this weekend,
I've heard:
- Ivey is staying in South Bend;
- Banghart has pulled her name out of consideration;
- White is interested but wants to coach the full WNBA season.

So, is White the only current candidate left from those three? Is it all systems go from there? Or is the committee back to the drawing board.

Signed,
Bewildered in northern New Jersey:confused:

Reaction Score
White will probably get the job. They may delay the announcement for a while.

Lame duck coaches can't do very well when players know the coach won't be around much longer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So, in between tweets from Raoul, reports from The Tennessean, where does this position stand?Just this weekend,
I've heard:
- Ivey is staying in South Bend;
- Banghart has pulled her name out of consideration;
- White is interested but wants to coach the full WNBA season.

So, is White the only current candidate left from those three? Is it all systems go from there? Or is the committee back to the drawing board.

Signed,
Bewildered in northern New Jersey:confused:
Is there anymore you can share about Ivey staying in SB or Banghart pulling her name? I had not seen either of those.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Is there anymore you can share about Ivey staying in SB or Banghart pulling her name? I had not seen either of those.

Not sure where his info comes from but Raoul seems to be fairly accurate, in general.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Orangutan supplied what seems to be the main source of this information, which is also all over the ND board.
The Tennessean had an article about White wanting to coach through the Fever's season but not about the others dropping out, so that was the source of my asking for clarity/help/any other insights.

Reaction Score
I just thought that Stephanie White who was biting at the bit putting in her time as Lin Dunn's top Asst. finally gets the HC at the Fever job and first chance, Oh by the way I'm leaving for a College HC job!
I know the College ranks pay more, much much more, but just thought she'd be in Indianapolis a while then go to a College HC position!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Ms White has family considerations (as she was quoted in the Indianapolis Star). She resides in Indianapolis with her wife and their three children. Her Indiana roots go back to her playing days at Purdue (under Carolyn Peck) and a family relocation from Indy to Vandy may be too daunting a challenge for all.

There is also the issue of timing. Stephanie has been up front with her team and management and appears to have their support -- with one major condition: that she complete the 2016 WNBA season with her team. This could be a sticking point with Vandy.

Reaction Score
I just thought that Stephanie White who was biting at the bit putting in her time as Lin Dunn's top Asst. finally gets the HC at the Fever job and first chance, Oh by the way I'm leaving for a College HC job!
I know the College ranks pay more, much much more, but just thought she'd be in Indianapolis a while then go to a College HC position!

Gotta grab the opportunity when it presents itself. She would never get this opportunity if she had a losing season this year with the Fever.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Another "sources say..."

Swish Appeal saying White has been hired

" By accepting the position, White will head to Tennessee following the conclusion of the Indiana Fever season."
Fever's Stephanie White accepts Vanderbilt position
Vandy must have really really wanted White then. End of WNBA season could be as late as October 20th ~ About a month before Vandy first regular season game -17 November.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom