The new Vandy coach will be...[merged thread] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The new Vandy coach will be...[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am surprised White is considering going to a college program. I agree she is a good coach. The Fever looks like a better job. Unless she just wants a change or is having problems with management there.
I'm a little surprised too, but not because the WNBA job is better - I can't imagine that it is, pay-wise. But I think White has strong ties to Indiana and likes to work there. Plus WNBA is a short season and allows to her do TV during the regular basketball season.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
OTOH, White also gets paid well for her TV work, so the Vandy job might require a little pay cut. My WAG for the Vandy position: max. of $.8M for 5 years.
I remember reading somewhere that the average salary for a WNBA head coach is between $200,00-250,000. Also, hard to imagine that her job broadcasting WBB would pay her more than her head coach salary. If anything, a move to Vanderbilt would probably at least double her current income of coaching and broadcasting.

Reaction Score
  1. 13 hours ago

Some additional info on Stephanie White as a candidate for the Vanderbilt WBB coaching job http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/basketball/wnba/fever/2016/05/20/lure-vanderbilt-job-could-pry-stephanie-white-loose-indiana-fever/84681922/…

Reaction Score
Raoul ‏@Raoul_000 13h13 hours ago
Some additional info on Stephanie White as a candidate for the Vanderbilt WBB coaching job http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/basketball/wnba/fever/2016/05/20/lure-vanderbilt-job-could-pry-stephanie-white-loose-indiana-fever/84681922/…

Ci8VzwJWYAAClsE.jpg

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I understand the financial lure - Nashville is a great town. And I'm assuming she feels ok with the social politics since she's witnessed Indianapolis'. Wonder about the schedule, though. College is non-stop. WNBA? You work you off for 4 or 5 months, then hang out in the best seats at college games... ;-)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

"...she would not join Vanderbilt until after the season's done." Unless Coach White is the overwhelming favorite for the position, I'm not sure I'd be going gagas over that one. While she can get some things done while working in/out of Indiana, you're missing face time with your current team and incoming frosh over the summer (and it's a 6-person class still coming in, to the best of my knowledge) and building/overseeing your staff.

Listen, I like Steph White for a whole lot of reasons (player, commentator, pro HC), but starting off a job like this with, in effect, a cha-cha step is a bit disconcerting. (This is not like an NFL coach doing another game or two in the NFL). Could be a tip in the favor of the candidates from Princeton and/or South Bend.

Then again, I'm not the search committee and/or the AD and president. If they want to hire Coach White, I'm perfectly fine with Nieile heading up our recruiting efforts ;):rolleyes: (although I'd also like to see her get a shot at the end chair!)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Let's sum this up:
We've been told its Niele Ivey
Hold the phones: Courtney Banghart is also under consideration
Wait: Stephanie White wants to coach college; she's in the mix

And that there would be a press conference today...and that Ivey met the team the other day as the new coach.

Press conference today?
Well, where is it... during the Preakness?

Doubt it

Scads and scads of disinformation in this thread.
Real drag.
I actually think that Chris Dailey is up for the job :)
So there!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Further to the above
We can enjoy the Preakness in a few minutes w/o multi-tasking
According to the Tennessean:

No coach has been hired and no press conference has been scheduled.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
You believe this guy?
How many blind alleys has he led us up?
Based on the above, I'd say Ivey is a lock. :)

It does seem to change by post, no? What was that game show, "Let's Make a Deal?" We'll almost have to wait
for Doors #1, #2 and #3 to open to see.

Or at least an official press release. ;):D

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I suggest we all just wait for today's press conference.. Speculation will drive you insane if you let it.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I suggest we all just wait for today's press conference.. Speculation will drive you insane if you let it.

This inevitable result of wild and unfounded speculation is no deterrent to Boneyarders. I offer the hundreds of posts about the Vandy coaching position or Megan Walker's intentions as evidence.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Today?
Source please.

On edit: Nothing on Vanderbilt site

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Today?
Source please.

I saw on twitter a few days ago that a presser would be had by Sunday but I just direct messaged a Vandy beat writer on Twitter and he said the decision will be made some time within the coming week. My mistake.

Reaction Score
Today?
Source please.

Anticipation...one of the joys in life. Considering Vanderbilt's history, tradition, and values, my money is on Courtney Banghart. While I agree with UconnCat's ranking, she's an excellent selection as well, and won't be doing the LVs any favors. If Holly's feeling the heat now, just wait!:eek:

Reaction Score
Scads and scads of disinformation in this thread.

Disinformation means an *intent* to mislead.
Raoul, and others, are passing on what they are hearing. Of course it is rumor and unofficial. And as a result, sometimes it's going to be wrong. But I see no evidence that anyone is trying to intentionally spread false information.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Raoul, and others, are passing on what they are hearing. Of course it is rumor and unofficial. And as a result, sometimes it's going to be wrong. But I see no evidence that anyone is trying to intentionally spread false information.

And as rumor are likely to be "misinformation, not disinformation.".

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Ah so.
Thanks for the correction.
Not the first time that I mangle vocab.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
This will be a very important decision for both Tennessee and Vanderbilt as the state of Tennessee is currently trending up in terms of talent.. the 2017, 2018 and 2019 classes have more elite talent than usual. Whoever is coaching at either school has to capitalize on that.

Reaction Score
This will be a very important decision for both Tennessee and Vanderbilt as the state of Tennessee is currently trending up in terms of talent.. the 2017, 2018 and 2019 classes have more elite talent than usual. Whoever is coaching at either school has to capitalize on that.

Is Vanderbilt traditionally much of a player for TN talent? Private schools often are more nationally relevant than locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom