The New Hockey Arena? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The New Hockey Arena?

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
People keep saying money, but we aren't talking more than a couple ten thousand dollars to go to 3500 or so even. The footprint of the building doesn't even change. It is ridiculous, with an emphasis on the "ridicul" part.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
To a few points raised here:

- "Don't invest money in a non-revenue sport." UConn hockey is a revenue sport.
Shows UConn hockey's revenue in 2016 was ~$3.4 million. They may not profit much from it, but it means they have $3.4 million to spend, also was the 10th highest revenue in the country. The number can be skewed a bit by donations and other factors, but is generally a very good sign.

Revenue =/= Profit.

I would highly doubt that UConn makes anything on $3.4 million revenue. That said, if you break even in college sports, that's a huge win.

Reaction Score
A 2,500-seat arena to host games against the basement of the league, bad OOC games, and exhibitions, is so absurdly dumb, it's incomprehensible. Why spend the $ to build a brand new facility and play your best games 30 miles away?
Because you can fill the XL for those games. 8,000 > 2,500 and most of the 8,000 will pay a lot more than students.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
They're not getting 4K to Storrs for hockey.

It is shortsighted by the administration and should be at least 4000 seats as the XL center may not be there forever.

C

Chief00

So to recap:

1) If we build an 2500 seat arena for hockey, it is Suzielax's fault, of course...

2) If we don't build hockey arena, it is Suzielax's fault. Of course we'd have more money if were in the P5 and...

3) We didn't in the ACC when BC, VT and Miami left, which was Suzielax's fault even though she wasn't President yet; but then again...

4) We didn't get in when Cuse left, which was Suzielax's fault even though she still wasn't President yet; but ...

5) She was President when FSU wanted a football power to join the ACC so that's surely Suzielax's fault; even though the delay in join Div 1A took place long before she President; but what about...

6) The Big 12 not taking us that was on her watch, of course once BYU decided to to double on stupidity and homophobia that expansion was dead in the water, but Susielax didn't prevent it, so surely that must be her fault...

Did I miss anything?

For the record, a 2500 seat arena is shortsighted and stupid, but unless you your plan to bet the over on UConn football pays off enough for you to fund the difference the money isn't there.

It’s possible, I missing something because I just go to an occasional hockey game. If we are averaging 4,500 @ XL, why built an arena in Storrs that has 45% less seats? if you don’t have the money to do it right, don’t do it at all? Again, I may be missing something since MBB and football are enough on Chief’s plate. Admittedly, just a casual hockey fan but the XL games are fun.

Reaction Score
The difference Chief00, is that in hockey there is hitting, but if someone lays out a real hit they are called for roughing. In MBB there is no hitting, but it happens all the time and is rarely called. Just thought you would like to know. ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s possible, I missing something because I just go to an occasional hockey game. If we are averaging 4,500 @ XL, why built an arena in Storrs that has 45% less seats? if you don’t have the money to do it right, don’t do it at all? Again, I may be missing something since MBB and football are enough on Chief’s plate. Admittedly, just a casual hockey fan but the XL games are fun.

Because Hockey East requires an on campus rink.

Still 2,500? Why build the smallest rink in the conference? The only way this makes any sense to me is if this is a de facto stage 1. Maybe the rink will be expanded or money will be "found" down the road. Perhaps once the design is put together everyone will be "surprised" to see how cost effective it is to add another 1000 seats and 500 standing room. I don't know but as we've all said, the current capacity is dumb on its face.

You may know from my prior posts that I'm a big advocate for games on campus. But I will say the UConn hockey in the XL is a really fun. The energy in the run last year reminded of Calhoun's early days. Everyone should get to a game and see for themselves.

Reaction Score
From the UConn Hockey Forum:
UConn Hockey Media Day

@Daniel Connolly @DanielVConnolly 6 minutes ago
Cavanaugh said the new hockey arena will have the ability to expand to 4,000.

@Daniel Connolly @DanielVConnolly 5 minutes ago
Cavanaugh isn’t concerned about the size of the new hockey arena. Said he expects it to built to the same standard as Shenkman, Werth.

Reaction Score
They have been pretty clear on the plan for hockey. XL will be the primary home ice. The new Whaler-Chief arena will be the practice facility and will host a few games a year. Most likely non-conference and less attractive league games. I’ve heard 6-8 games a year. My guess is that there is a deal afoot that makes XL UConns official home for basketball too which allows them to revitalize it as a “college” venue rather than pro. Fewer bells and whistles required.

Reaction Score
They have been pretty clear on the plan for hockey. XL will be the primary home ice. The new Whaler-Chief arena will be the practice facility and will host a few games a year. Most likely non-conference and less attractive league games. I’ve heard 6-8 games a year. My guess is that there is a deal afoot that makes XL UConns official home for basketball too which allows them to revitalize it as a “college” venue rather than pro. Fewer bells and whistles required.

No. Not even this school can be stupid enough to do this. This would be a tragedy.

Reaction Score
They would probably sell out 5 k for BC, BU, PC but Merrimack Sacred Heart, AIC which are the games they will mostly play at the new campus place, 2500 is good because it will seem crowded.

Reaction Score
They would probably sell out 5 k for BC, BU, PC but Merrimack Sacred Heart, AIC which are the games they will mostly play at the new campus place, 2500 is good because it will seem crowded.

(This is an honest question, no ill will) do you follow the hockey team?

Anyway, there’s no “probably” about it, they would easily sell 5k for those games and Merrimack could probably get a solid 3-5k too

Reaction Score
No. Not even this school can be stupid enough to do this. This would be a tragedy.
For whom? In what sense? Basketball already plays most games in Hartford. Women play a good number and hockey obviously does so if it can be arranged such that UConn gets some better financial deal for what it already does, why is that s bad thing?

Personally I wish every team would play every game on campus but that isn’t happening.

Reaction Score
For whom? In what sense? Basketball already plays most games in Hartford. Women play a good number and hockey obviously does so if it can be arranged such that UConn gets some better financial deal for what it already does, why is that s bad thing?

Personally I wish every team would play every game on campus but that isn’t happening.

Basketball does not play most games in Hartford. Usually 10/8 split Storrs/Hartford (not sure about this year...)

Reaction Score
(This is an honest question, no ill will) do you follow the hockey team?

Anyway, there’s no “probably” about it, they would easily sell 5k for those games and Merrimack could probably get a solid 3-5k too
Serious answer. I’ve followed the hockey team back to d3 days when they played outdoors. Wxcept for the Norwich years I’ve been to at least 1 game/year for 30 years.

Reaction Score
Serious answer. I’ve followed the hockey team back to d3 days when they played outdoors. Wxcept for the Norwich years I’ve been to at least 1 game/year for 30 years.

Good! I was serious when I said no ill will :)

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Again I will say it, small time thinking by those in charge. Heck if I hit the lottery I will put in a couple million to expand to 3500-4000 just because.

Reaction Score
Booyah. All of sudden it makes more sense.
It still doesn't. Why spend millions to build a top of the line arena that's already too small, despite expandability to a number that would *still* be too small, but still play the best games in Hartford? Either build the top of the line arena on campus, big enough for the program's fan base, and play all games there, or build/renovate a secondary-level arena intended for games against Merrimack.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It still doesn't. Why spend millions to build a top of the line arena that's already too small, despite expandability to a number that would *still* be too small, but still play the best games in Hartford? Either build the top of the line arena on campus, big enough for the program's fan base, and play all games there, or build/renovate a secondary-level arena intended for games against Merrimack.
So here's how I read it, with a limited budget, the school is setting using money for the facility rather than seats, but building the rink in such a way that it can be readily expanded. Yeah, I'd rather have a 4000 seat rink built from the get go, but if Cav's okay with it, then I am too.

Reaction Score
15 years ago I went to all the PC games for 4 years at Schneider. Mediocre teams, 1 playoff in 4 years. Sellouts for rival UNH, and BC. Since then PC sells 80% of their seats. Not bad as they compete against the Providence Bruins, which have a 25 year tradition and draw well in a refurbished Dunk. (UConn sells 50% of capacity at XL.)
Since 2011, when PC basically rebuilt Schneider and the '15 championship they have had more sellouts. Students have more apathy since 15 years ago but still go to games, then go pub crawling.
Notes from others: PC is in the middle of a residential neighborhood so traffic before and after can be a hassle. As a hockey fan I would drive from Westfield, MA to XL but not Storrs.
I think it is smart to build an on campus arena. Who knows what the budget and political environment will be in the next 20 years vis a vi Hartford/XL/politics. Having your own arena enables you to control schedule, practice vs. sharing.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom