The New Hockey Arena? | The Boneyard

The New Hockey Arena?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Come play... UConn Approves Plans For New Ice Hockey Arena... active discussion.

This is the Boneyard Singularity.

Everyone realizes this is the stupidest thing yet.

I’m legitimately embarrassed for everyone involved.

I feel like Jack Buck. I don’t believe what I just saw.

Someone please tell me SuzieLax gets athletics one more time... you can’t help but laugh at this nonsense.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is the Boneyard Singularity.

Everyone realizes this is the stupidest thing yet.

I’m legitimately embarrassed for everyone involved.

I fell like Jack Buck. I don’t believe what I just saw.

Someone please tell me SuzieLax gets athletics one more time... you can’t help but laugh at this nonsense.
So to recap:

1) If we build an 2500 seat arena for hockey, it is Suzielax's fault, of course...

2) If we don't build hockey arena, it is Suzielax's fault. Of course we'd have more money if were in the P5 and...

3) We didn't in the ACC when BC, VT and Miami left, which was Suzielax's fault even though she wasn't President yet; but then again...

4) We didn't get in when Cuse left, which was Suzielax's fault even though she still wasn't President yet; but ...

5) She was President when FSU wanted a football power to join the ACC so that's surely Suzielax's fault; even though the delay in join Div 1A took place long before she President; but what about...

6) The Big 12 not taking us that was on her watch, of course once BYU decided to to double on stupidity and homophobia that expansion was dead in the water, but Susielax didn't prevent it, so surely that must be her fault...

Did I miss anything?

For the record, a 2500 seat arena is shortsighted and stupid, but unless you your plan to bet the over on UConn football pays off enough for you to fund the difference the money isn't there.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
So to recap:

1) If we build an 2500 seat arena for hockey, it is Suzielax's fault, of course...

2) If we don't build hockey arena, it is Suzielax's fault. Of course we'd have more money if were in the P5 and...

3) We didn't in the ACC when BC, VT and Miami left, which was Suzielax's fault even though she wasn't President yet; but then again...

4) We didn't get in when Cuse left, which was Suzielax's fault even though she still wasn't President yet; but ...

5) She was President when FSU wanted a football power to join the ACC so that's surely Suzielax's fault; even though the delay in join Div 1A took place long before she President; but what about...

6) The Big 12 not taking us that was on her watch, of course once BYU decided to to double on stupidity and homophobia that expansion was dead in the water, but Susielax didn't prevent it, so surely that must be her fault...

Did I miss anything?

For the record, a 2500 seat arena is shortsighted and stupid, but unless you your plan to bet the over on UConn football pays off enough for you to fund the difference the money isn't there.

To your last point, I’d reply that if the money is too tight than maybe we shouldn’t focus on building two insufficient stadiums (soccer and hockey) and instead spend money on one well planned stadium. We have the money, we’re just building a number of poor projects, which makes no sense because we’ll end up with empty coffers and nothing of value to show for it.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I also think it makes zero sense to invest a single penny more than we need to on non revenue sports, but that’s just me. The soccer team could play in C lot for all I care

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Come play... UConn Approves Plans For New Ice Hockey Arena... active discussion.

Build it and they will come, that's if they can get a seat in the arena.

Should be 4000 seats at least. This is not good at all and will be used against UConn in recruiting. The XL Center may not be there forever that has to be taken into this decision.
Disappointed to say the least

CL82

Reaction Score
To your last point, I’d reply that if the money is too tight than maybe we shouldn’t focus on building two insufficient stadiums (soccer and hockey) and instead spend money on one well planned stadium. We have the money, we’re just building a number of poor projects, which makes no sense because we’ll end up with empty coffers and nothing of value to show for it.
I hear you Phil and I agree. The new soccer stadium will be much nicer than Morrone, but not bigger.

On the hockey rink... I don't get it. The only thing I can think of is if this is stage one of a two part build with second addition of another 1000-1500 seats. (FWIW, I remember talking about blowing about a wall in Frietas on the hockey board and there were reasons why it could not happen.)

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So to recap:

Did I miss anything?

I’m just quoting this for the lulz.

You made a ridiculously stupid mistake very early in this process where you backed a loser.

Now you are stuck in a position where either you have to admit you were wrong or you have to continue doubling down on a known losing position.

I doubt anyone with a clue is surprised when faced with this decision, you composed the single stupidest post in Boneyard history.

CL82

Reaction Score
I’m just quoting this for the lulz.

You made a ridiculously stupid mistake very early in this process where you backed a loser.

Now you are stuck in a position where either you have to admit you were wrong or you have to continue doubling down on a known losing position.

I doubt anyone with a clue is surprised when faced with this decision, you composed the single stupidest post in Boneyard history.
Or was I mocking one in your continuing series of idiotic posts on Herbst? I have no idea when Herbst peed in your Cheerios, but give it a rest, she's not responsible for every rainy day.

Reaction Score
Or was I mocking one in your continuing series of idiotic posts on Herbst? I have no idea when Herbst peed in your Cheerios, but give it a rest, she's not responsible for every rainy day.
Its almost like no one associated with uconn is ever responsible for the results. It's all bad luck and it would have been the same result no matter who was over seeing things.

I don't buy it.

Reaction Score
I also think it makes zero sense to invest a single penny more than we need to on non revenue sports, but that’s just me. The soccer team could play in C lot for all I care
The arena is a requirement of Hockey East.

CL82

Reaction Score
Its almost like no one associated with uconn is ever responsible for the results. It's all bad luck and it would have been the same result no matter who was over seeing things.

I don't buy it.
For conference realignment that is true, unless you go back to the decision to delay upgrading to 1A. Push that back 20, even 10, years and our circumstances are better.

It is often a frustrating realization, but sometimes bad things happen and their isn't a single person to whom you point a finger.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Unbelievable.

Some of the players we will be recruiting from the high level New England High School Prep ranks will be getting a downgrade in facilities by coming to UConn from their fancy prep schools! Head bang

Reaction Score
Dumb and shortsighted. So much for dreaming big. This reaks of dreaming ‘just big enough’. Bare minimum stuff. UConn ultimately suffers from the same short sightedness that has put the state on the financial precipice. And since there is no T Boone Pickens or Phil Knight equivalent for the Huskies the short sighted and small minded dither on

CL82

Reaction Score
So anyone writing to DB to ask for an explanation? I'd be curious to hear what he has to say. There definitely is a reason.

Phil points out why not just make one quality improvement instead of multiple minimal improvements. I love to hear the answer to that as well. It feels like a thought plan rather than random stupidity.

Is there an upgrade deadline that we don't know about or is it that so much needed to be done we decided tackle it all?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Dumb question: what is the typical top flight hockey program arena size? 8k?

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Dumb question: what is the typical top flight hockey program arena size? 8k?
I believe BU's home arena hosts around 8,000, but I think 5,000 is more typical.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Honestly, hockey is just going to turn into basketball. Play X amount of games on campus and Y amount of games in Hartford.

Reaction Score
....or this is phase one of a build that will eventually be expanded....but the budget for this one was passable, the budget for a larger arena wasn't......just maybe.

CL82

Reaction Score
Honestly, hockey is just going to turn into basketball. Play X amount of games on campus and Y amount of games in Hartford.
I get that and the energy at XL for UConn hockey games is outstanding. If you haven't gone to any, you definitely should. That said, someone pointed out the XL probably isn't going to around forever. Building a small home rink will be a big mistake when that day comes.... unless it can be expanded. Think Gampel which was 8,500 when it was first built.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom