The New Flopping rule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The New Flopping rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Was at an exhibition game last night - and one of the Arizona players flopped. No foul called, no warning issued, just play on.

On the other hand, Arizona got a couple warnings for not coming out of time outs fast enough, including one "official" warning. Again, though, they didn't call an actual foul. I did see the head ref, Bob Schofield (who is a Tucson native) chatting with Adia at a couple points. As I've always suspected, exhibitions are (ultimately) practice games and, in general, rule enforcement can vary.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Hmmm .... you’re not a Chris Smith fan?
Yeah I am but I'm also a fan of the original crossover king Allen Iverson, no one did it better, check him out on YouTube.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Was at an exhibition game last night - and one of the Arizona players flopped. No foul called, no warning issued, just play on.

On the other hand, Arizona got a couple warnings for not coming out of time outs fast enough, including one "official" warning. Again, though, they didn't call an actual foul. I did see the head ref, Bob Schofield (who is a Tucson native) chatting with Adia at a couple points. As I've always suspected, exhibitions are (ultimately) practice games and, in general, rule enforcement can vary.
I watched the Celtics Knicks game and there were 2 flopping calls, the refs went to the monitor, I remember thkn tht this is definitely gonna interrupt the flow of the game, they waited for a break in the action before having a player shoot the penalty foul shot which I thk is weird.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
This could also hurt UConn. I think AE often loves to add a dramatic fall to a foul. I'd rather see a rule that just requires no foul to be called on the play on either team. A flopper is on the floor and no longer a use to her teammates until she gets back up. I agree with others here that this new rule will quickly be regretted as games get constantly delayed and players start to foul out on questionable fouls.
I like ur thkn there

Reaction Score
What are people's thoughts on the charge circle being removed? I'm more intrigued as to how that will play out this season.

Reaction Score
Any contact will disqualify a flop from being called.

Not so. If the contact is legal, then a flop can still be called.

"Faking being fouled occurs when a player simulates being fouled or makes theatrical or exaggerated movements when there is no illegal contact by committing acts such as, but not limited to, overtly embellishing the impact of incidental contact on block/charge plays or attempted tries for goal (flopping), using a "head bob" to simulate illegal contact, or using any other tactics in order to create an opinion of being fouled and therefore gaining an advantage."

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score

"Faking being fouled occurs when a player simulates being fouled or makes theatrical or exaggerated movements when there is no illegal contact by committing acts such as, but not limited to, overtly embellishing the impact of incidental contact on block/charge plays or attempted tries for goal (flopping), using a "head bob" to simulate illegal contact, or using any other tactics in order to create an opinion of being fouled and therefore gaining an advantage."
Couldn't have explained it any better.......I totally agree

sun

Reaction Score
IMO much of the flopping will voluntarily stop, but may be replaced by players shouting out profanities instead as a way to get the attention of refs.
I like the new rule because it's needed.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Now we need a clip of the human fainting goats, the Duke mens' basketball team. Around the time of Paulus/Scheyer they were especially egregious about it.

Reaction Score
Too much,in all sports, of trying to have perfect violation control. Deciding if a player has flopped? Really? What a crock! It's never going to be perfect , these reviews slow down the games, and,as a fan, I've gotten tired of these disruptions to the flow of games. Get rid of all reviews, accept the imperfections of refs,umps,etc, and let the games go on. Boy am I old, but it really has gotten out of control. Go back to the time when you could blame the officials for your team's loss.
I agree about much of the above. The reviews in most sports today are a pain and perhaps should be limited to the last 2 minutes of each game if the score is within 10 points or so???? Call what you see.

Reaction Score
NCAA basketball refs should take a page from the World Cup refs. In case you haven’t noticed, some of the futbol refs have reduced the number fouls they are calling, significantly. Obvious flops, minor pushes and feet entanglements are ignored or signaled as “play on” situations, unless the ref considers the foul was a dangerous play. When they don’t hear the ref’s whistle, It’s amazing how quickly the supposedly injured player, rolling around on the ground and grabbing a leg, stands up and runs back to the action. If you watched the women’s’ semi finals and final, the American referee did an outstanding job limiting play stoppages.
Futbol is among the worst with flops. It can be a hard game to watch. Add in the many minutes of 0 to 0 scoring is like watching a no-hitter in baseball. Seems like many of us like a high scoring game, at least I do.

Reaction Score
Yeah no, you can lower your shoulder and attack the paint but a defensive player has a right to his or her position, you as a offensive player can't displace tht player by initiating contact, it's called an Offensive foul, you can't just bowl people over, pushing a defensive player off or hooking with you off arm/ hand is an Offensive foul, if the defensive player has position and literally falls with minimum contact or before contact is made thn it's a flop, for better understanding of this watch any ND game.
Clark is an incredibly unique talent who also commits an offensive foul almost every time she drives to the basket. In her defense, so does almost everybody else. That’s the way the modern game is officiated.

Reaction Score

I don't feel like there are a ton of plays in a given game where people are fake falling all over the place (although there are definitely some great examples), but that dramatic "head bob" drives me crazy and I feel like I see it a lot more during a game. I do think there are certain players that tend to do it more than others too. It's not a judgment either because you see it in the WNBA also, but it did jump out to me in that rule. I love Nika but she is definitely one of them that likes her a head bob. LOL

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if she really does it anymore, but Ionescu was the queen of the head bob when she was in college. Nearly every time she shot the ball.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What I can't wrap my mind around is that I'm starting to see football (ie pigskin) players faking injuries. The players from yesteryear are rolling over in their graves I'm sure.

Reaction Score
Get rid of all reviews, accept the imperfections of refs,umps,etc, and let the games go on. Boy am I old, but it really has gotten out of control.
Good take but the reviews are of those one might like to protect. Two sides to every story. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't feel like there are a ton of plays in a given game where people are fake falling all over the place (although there are definitely some great examples), but that dramatic "head bob" drives me crazy and I feel like I see it a lot more during a game. I do think there are certain players that tend to do it more than others too. It's not a judgment either because you see it in the WNBA also, but it did jump out to me in that rule. I love Nika but she is definitely one of them that likes her a head bob. LOL
If it helps to avoid hitting hit on the noggin, I want Caroline head bobbing all the time.

Kat

Reaction Score
I was watching an NBA game recently, and it seemed that everyone would fall backwards after taking a shot. The refs just ignored it and didn't call fouls. I think that's the way it should be handled.

Reaction Score
I watched Iowa the other day against VT and couldn't help but notice how many times CC turned very little contact into an assault. So the question is if you are going to call it on the defense will you also do it when the offensive player puts on an acting clinic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom