The New Flopping rule | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The New Flopping rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watched Iowa the other day against VT and couldn't help but notice how many times CC turned very little contact into an assault. So the question is if you are going to call it on the defense will you also do it when the offensive player puts on an acting clinic?
Probably not, at least not consistently. Though they should. I can’t stand it when the offensive player comes driving in and then acts like the defensive player should have just simply stepped aside and allowed them to score.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Very little contact from small guard and a 6'3 beast of a player goes flying down to the floor. I'm not saying it was meant to hurt anyone it was her doing what she needed to get the foul call. Like I said if she gets hit and doesn't move she not only doesn't get the call, she could very easily get the foul when the defender goes flailing.
You might want to pull a replay of that and take a look at it again before you die on this hill.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Probably not, at least not consistently. Though they should. I can’t stand it when the offensive player comes driving in and then acts like the defensive player should have just simply stepped aside and allowed them to score.
Kemba Walker was famous for snapping his head back when he took contact from the defender. Now, to be fair, that contact was a foul, but the head snap seems intended to highlight it.

I remember when my son was playing soccer and at one point in a game he goes flying down on the pitch with a big complementary yell on the way down. One of his teammates went running over to him asking him if he was all right. The ref said "he's fine. He just wanted to make sure that I saw the foul. I did." And then he said give the opposing player a yellow card.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I watched Iowa the other day against VT and couldn't help but notice how many times CC turned very little contact into an assault. So the question is if you are going to call it on the defense will you also do it when the offensive player puts on an acting clinic?
it's not just Caitlin. far too many players think this is the way the game should be played. of course they do, because it's often rewarded. and some coaches encourage such shenanigans.

then the refs do their worse (yes, i realize they have a trying job) ... and some may agree that this is the way the game was meant to be played. sad.

Reaction Score
I’m so glad Tech beat Iowa, I was so sick all game of hearing Deb Antonelli gushing about Caitlin Clarke like she was Jim Thorpe or Babe Didrikson.

Reaction Score
it's not just Caitlin. far too many players think this is the way the game should be played. of course they do, because it's often rewarded. and some coaches encourage such shenanigans.

then the refs do their worse (yes, i realize they have a trying job) ... and some may agree that this is the way the game was meant to be played. sad.
I think this effect is more pronounced at the beginning of the season. Caitlin was especially bad about this her freshman year. Then, apparently, after her sophomore year Lisa Bluder told her to stop throwing herself to the floor at the end of layups because the risk of injury was greater than the benefit of getting whistles. But now, it looks like she may be reverting to freshman form. Deja Kelly and Taniya Watson are other notorious layup-floppers.

Eventually the refs seem to wise up, or at least get bored handing out fouls like candy, and this tactic doesn't work as well. Lets hope they wise up sooner rather than later this season.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score

Restricted-area arc, lower defensive box​

The panel approved reducing the restricted-area arc from 4 feet in the lane to the area directly underneath the basket. Defenders cannot establish a legal guarding position directly underneath the basket. This rule also eliminates the lower defensive box rule.

Under this new rule, there will be no need for any additional court markings on the floor.

The committee hopes simplifying the rule will bring about a better understanding for officials, coaches, players and fans.

Previously, secondary defenders had to be outside the 4-foot restricted-area arc to draw a charge. The lower defensive box was an imaginary area designated by two tick marks on the end line and the second lane space marks from the free-throw line and distinguished when the restricted-area rule was in effect.

Other rules changes​

• Players will be allowed to wear numbers 0-99.
  • Schools will no longer have to submit a waiver for players to wear religious headwear, provided it is safe for competition.
  • An amber light strip will be permitted on the backboard to signal the end of a shot-clock period.
  • An optional rule will allow for live video to be transmitted to the bench area. This has been an experimental rule for the past two years.
  • A new class of technical fouls will be assessed to the team and not an individual offender. Delay-of-game warnings and flopping will fall under this category.
  • When the shot clock is off at the end of a quarter or overtime, officials will use the game clock to determine when a 10-second backcourt violation has occurred.
  • A permissive rule will allow conferences to implement an off-site collaborative replay system to assist game officials with replay situations.
  • The shot clock will be reset to 20 seconds or the time remaining, whichever is greater, when there is a foul by the nonshooting team, but not against the shooter, during a try in flight that does not strike the rim.
  • Officials will be allowed to use replay throughout the entire game for off-ball foul scoring plays; the review would be conducted during the next media timeout or intermission.

Point of emphasis​

Women's Basketball Rules Committee members are concerned about the uptick in bench decorum and misconduct incidents that took place during the 2022-23 season.

There were significant increases in intentional fouls, technical fouls and disqualifying fouls last season.

Reaction Score
I’m so glad Tech beat Iowa, I was so sick all game of hearing Deb Antonelli gushing about Caitlin Clarke like she was Jim Thorpe or Babe Didrikson.
Media would gush about Caitlin Clark if she played for UConn. Would you complain about that?

Media gushed about Maya and Stewie before they won NCAA championships, NPOY, WNBA championships, WNBA MVPs, and Olympic Gold.

Caitlin Clark and Paige Bueckers are good for WCBB and attract fans to games at home and on the road. They will do the same in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Media would gush about Caitlin Clark if she played for UConn. Would you complain about that?

Media gushed about Maya and Stewie before they won NCAA championships, NPOY, WNBA championships, WNBA MVPs, and Olympic Gold.

Caitlin Clark and Paige Bueckers are good for WCBB and attract fans to games at home and on the road. They will do the same in the WNBA.
What Media??? Why do you resort to using the word “Media” instead of naming names like Deb Antonelli and Beth Mowins who have never liked UConn. Antonelli’s dislike for Uconn goes back to the years when she wore Pat Summitt orange. No one from ESPN gushed about Maya or Stewie, when they were freshman, and the only media person that did was Meg Pattyson Culmo who’s like a member of the team anyway. I don’t recall Culmo or Lobo ever gushing about Clark.

Reaction Score
What Media??? Why do you resort to using the word “Media” instead of naming names like Deb Antonelli and Beth Mowins who have never liked UConn. Antonelli’s dislike for Uconn goes back to the years when she wore Pat Summitt orange. No one from ESPN gushed about Maya or Stewie, when they were freshman, and the only media person that did was Meg Pattyson Culmo who’s like a member of the team anyway. I don’t recall Culmo or Lobo ever gushing about Clark.

Definition of media courtesy of the link below.

"The means of communication, as radio and television, newspapers, magazines, and the internet, that reach or influence people widely."

MEDIA Definition & Usage Examples | Dictionary.com

Maya Moore was a 2 time Associated Press Player of the Year at UConn. Breanna Stewart was a 3 time Associated Press Player of the Year at UConn.

Media gushed about Maya and Stewie. :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom