OT: - The new breed: NFL only sports fan. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: The new breed: NFL only sports fan.

Reaction Score
I don't really get the logic here because football has just as much downtime as baseball. Hell, there are only about 11 minutes of actual action in a three-hour football game.
It's not the game itself. I was pointing out that since football is also largely associated with gambling and fantasy, the modern day football fan usually has: 1)multiple games going, at once
2)plus red zone running all day
3)and are constantly checking their phones for fantasy updates.

The other sports don't usually come with such trappings . Takes more focus.

*I'm aware that people gamble and play fantasy with the other sports but it's negligible compared to football

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I'm one of you. I understand those people who find football convenient and baseball inconvenient. But as a huge Rays fan, I managed to watch almost every game this year , with a 6 month old son and a job.
'But as a huge Rays fan, I managed to watch almost every game this year , with a 6 month old son and a job.'

ok, that's cool. some of your boy's first, indelible memories will be his pops regularly kicking back and enjoying some game on the telly, with folks dressed kinda funny as they run around on the grass. mostly pleasant, except for the times when u might say a bad word at the pitcher, and then turn to him and say 'don't say that...'

living large methinks. big fun.
i bet his first words will be 'frisbee slider.' i sure like saying it. lol.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
And I'm saying that's all skewed by how they measure it.
How MLB measured fastballs then or now is irrelevant.

If Clemens sat at 93-94mph, most of the rest of the league was generally around 85.

Comparatively, a lot more pitchers today are in the Clemens camp and much less are in the 85 range.

Reaction Score
How MLB measured fastballs then or now is irrelevant.

If Clemens sat at 93-94mph, most of the rest of the league was generally around 85.

Comparatively, a lot more pitchers today are in the Clemens camp and much less are in the 85 range.
The guys throwing 85 mph back then would be throwing low 90's now. The guys throwing low 90's back then would be throwing 100 now and there were a lot of them. Nolan could routinely hit 100 back then which is insane.

You said most pitchers pitched 85 back then which is totally irrelevant because the guys throwing 85 would be at like 93 now. The guys throwing low 90's would be throwing 100 now.

There might be more guys throwing straight gas around the league now but there was always a bunch of guys throwing straight gas.

Reaction Score
Now you got it.
I get that you saying most pitchers pitching 85 is totally meaningless because it's an entirely different measurement and that there were plenty of guys throwing straight gas. If you knew that you did a terrible job explaining it by saying most of the league threw 85 mph and now they don't even get looked at if triple digits isn't in their future.

You stated all of this to dismiss the poster who brought up youth baseball.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Clemens sat at 93-94mph, most of the rest of the league was generally around 85
Admittedly I do not have the stats in front of me, but as an avid baseball watcher when Clemens was playing, the rest of the league was generally much, much higher than 85.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I get that you saying most pitchers pitching 85 is totally meaningless because it's an entirely different measurement and that there were plenty of guys throwing straight gas. If you knew that you did a terrible job explaining it by saying most of the league threw 85 mph and now they don't even get looked at if triple digits isn't in their future.

That's how jags work. They get way off topic. The original premise of the thread is the development of the NFL-only sports fan. Yet we are arguing about relative velocity of Major League pitching.

BTW, my response to the blaming of youth baseball was to show the effect that Tommy John surgery has had on a given pitcher's mindset regarding throwing as hard as they can for as long as they can. The procedure has rendered "saving one's arm" obsolete. Youth baseball is a red herring.

Reaction Score

This is arguing for the sake of arguing and not saying anything. Does anyone really dispute the idea that what used to be an outlier in terms of velocity is now fairly commonplace? That's all he seems to be saying, and I can't imagine why anyone would think that was inaccurate or controversial.

Reaction Score
This is arguing for the sake of arguing and not saying anything. Does anyone really dispute the idea that what used to be an outlier in terms of velocity is now fairly commonplace? That's all he seems to be saying, and I can't imagine why anyone would think that was inaccurate or controversial.
That's not the case, people seem to be under the impression we have all these freaks throwing 100 now, while pitchers were nowhere near that before and that's not the case.

That's why saying most pitchers used to throw 85 mph is unhelpful and spreads this nonsense.

Reaction Score
The baseball schedule makers absolutely suck, couldn’t play game 2 of Yankees- Cleveland ALDS yesterday and tonights game gets rained out then, originally you were going to have Wednesday and Friday (travel day) as off days. The only off days in a series should be travel days that’s it. Get the games in and get them done especially northern teams.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Baseball is its own worst enemy. Just too much filler, too little action. Unlike football, where a fan fills the gap between plays wondering what new strategy will be employed on each side of the ball, there is very little in baseball. Games too slow, too long.

But the most important thing is whether games are important.
NFL: 17 games, every game is critical.
College football: 12 games, all critical
College basketball: 27 games, almost all of them matter
MLS: 34 games, most matter
Premier League: 38, most matter
NBA: 82 - too many don't matter
NHL: 82 - too many don't matter
MLB: 162 games - almost double the next most.

So not only are the games too long, too slow and lacking in strategy interest, but they don't matter. I like baseball, but no one game is must see TV until the playoffs.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I don’t think there is anything baseball can do to generate more fan interest without dramatically changing the game. The speed of the game doesn’t matter (a football game is 3+ hours). It’s the lack of action and lack of athletic ability on display that makes it less fun to watch.

Yes, it’s fun to watch Judge or Trout hit a fastball 500 feet. But he gets an at bat once every 45 minutes of real time, and maybe 5 opportunities max during a normal game.

Would people still watch the NFL if Mahomes only attempted 5 passes every game? Or the NBA if Curry was limited to only 5 shot attempts per game?

Maybe some would, but not at the levels now that “casuals” tune in for.

Baseball needs to find a way to get more of their offensive stars involved more often if they ever want to grow the fan base to compete with modern sports.

Reaction Score
Gambling and Fantasy Football has created a lot of NFL only fans.
I think this is the right answer.

Although, I wouldn't call someone who needs to have money on a game in order to be interested in it really a fan of the sport.

Reaction Score
Baseball needs to have more out spoken players, like Lenny Dykstra, Aubrey Huff, Milton Bradley, Carl Everett etc. Stars like Judge and Trout are great guys but not outspoken which is fine, classy star players is great for the game but you do need outspoken idiots they draw fans both homers and haters.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Baseball needs to have more out spoken players, like Lenny Dykstra, Aubrey Huff, Milton Bradley, Carl Everett etc. Stars like Judge and Trout are great guys but not outspoken which is fine, classy star players is great for the game but you do need outspoken idiots they draw fans both homers and haters.
How did Trevor Bauer work out for the MLB lol

Reaction Score
NFL off season is the hypest reality show on the planet. Serial killers, Elevator knockouts, speeding crashes, stabbings, murder for hire, drugs. Throw in blockbuster trades, contracts, unfair rules, bad calls.

It's real housewives for men.

Reaction Score
Baseball is its own worst enemy. Just too much filler, too little action. Unlike football, where a fan fills the gap between plays wondering what new strategy will be employed on each side of the ball, there is very little in baseball. Games too slow, too long.

But the most important thing is whether games are important.
NFL: 17 games, every game is critical.
College football: 12 games, all critical
College basketball: 27 games, almost all of them matter
MLS: 34 games, most matter
Premier League: 38, most matter
NBA: 82 - too many don't matter
NHL: 82 - too many don't matter
MLB: 162 games - almost double the next most.

So not only are the games too long, too slow and lacking in strategy interest, but they don't matter. I like baseball, but no one game is must see TV until the playoffs.
Good points, but the elephant in the room is that most football fans aren't focused on the game and it's intricacies. They are concerned with their fantasy points (sometimes multiple leagues) or gambling. Be honest, do you see the majority of football fans glued to the screens paying attention to the play calling and defensive schemes? How many football fans watch without fantasy/gambling? Be honest. You know the truth.

Side story* 5 years ago, I was in a bar waiting for broncos game to start and was sitting next to a girl in a packers jersey. We started talking football and I mentioned that greenbays secondary was suspect. She gave me a look and said "secondary??? Why would I care about the bench players?"

Reaction Score
try again.
'Viewership for baseball has been on the rise. A record 11.5 billion minutes of MLB content was viewed throughout the 2022 season.'

attendance (people paying cash money to have a good time at the ballpark) only jumped 20 million folks this season, from 45 millions to 65 millions.
MLB attendance improves in 2022, crowds still smaller than pre-pandemic

imma fan, me and millions and millions of others.

apparently, lots of folks aren't micro-managing every single minute of their lives, and enjoy periodically whiling away the hours, lazing around, and just enjoying the game with no clock.

hey paully! what did you have to eat today? anything good? i bet it's something michael would never try!
To say attendance is rising is disingenuous IMO. In 2007 attendance was nearly 80 million. In 2018 it was 69. Just because it jumped from a pandemic reduced 45 doesn’t seem to me to indicate it’s rising, especially since the population rise of 10% since 07

Reaction Score
Can't tell you how many Fantasy FB participants that(I've spoken with) who don't know anything about other sports.. Mind-boggling

Reaction Score
Same in regards to the Yankees. Aaron Judge re-ignited some of my passion this year but it’s still not the same as it used to be. In middle and high school I regularly sat through entire 3+ hour Yankee games and now in my mid 30’s I find it nearly impossible unless it’s a meaningful game.
It’s very simple. An average baseball game takes far longer with fewer balls put in play than used to happen. I used to be a big fan, but it’s just very hard to watch.

Reaction Score
Tailgated since 2 pm for the Bears game this afternoon and now just finishing up the night. The experience surrounding the game was a blast but on field product blows. Granted it's about the worst product in the league but the games in person seem to suck each time I go no matter who the Bears are playing. Everything surrounding the game is a blast but the actual play on the field kind of stinks. I would probably feel differently if I was watching the Bills v. the Chiefs but watching the bad teams play each other is brutal.

I could also do without the little guy in front of me trying to fight everyone sitting behind him, shoving his girlfriend over and the guy who passed out in the bathroom and took a dump in his pants as security had to physically remove him from the facility.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don’t think there is anything baseball can do to generate more fan interest without dramatically changing the game. The speed of the game doesn’t matter (a football game is 3+ hours). It’s the lack of action and lack of athletic ability on display that makes it less fun to watch.

Baseball needs to find a way to get more of their offensive stars involved more often if they ever want to grow the fan base to compete with modern sports.

Well, I think they've created your antedote.

1. Every inning counts. Rather than counting up a cumulative total of runs at the end of the game, each inning is like its own mini-game. Imagine each inning as a “game” in a tennis set. This also means every inning can end with a walk-off.
  2. Two-hour time limit. A new inning won’t begin after the one-hour and 50-minute mark. If they fail to reach nine innings in that time, they fail to reach nine innings and the game ends with whichever team has won the most innings.
  3. No stepping out. If a batter steps out of the box, he is given an automatic strike.
  4. No bunting. Pretty self-explanatory -- and there's absolutely no wiggle room.
  5. Batters can steal first. If the pitch gets away from the catcher at any point during the at-bat, the hitter is free to run to first.
  6. No walks allowed. If a batter is walked, he can keep running the bases until every fielder touches the baseball. Usually that means the team congregates around second base and they play a game of hot potato.
  7. 1-on-1 Showdown Tiebreaker. Should the game be tied after two hours, they go into a sudden-death Showdown. The batter steps into the box and faces off against a pitcher, catcher, and one lone, solitary fielder. The batter will try to hit the ball and race around the bases before he can be tagged out.
  8. No mound visits allowed. Hey, what do those coaches say beyond, “Throw some strikes, bud"?
  9. If a fan catches a foul ball, it’s an out. A whole new reason to bring your glove out to the ballpark.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tailgated since 2 pm for the Bears game this afternoon and now just finishing up the night. The experience surrounding the game was a blast but on field product blows. Granted it's about the worst product in the league but the games in person seem to suck each time I go no matter who the Bears are playing. Everything surrounding the game is a blast but the actual play on the field kind of stinks. I would probably feel differently if I was watching the Bills v. the Chiefs but watching the bad teams play each other is brutal.

I could also do without the little guy in front of me trying to fight everyone sitting behind him, shoving his girlfriend over and the guy who passed out in the bathroom and took a dump in his pants as security had to physically remove him from the facility.

And that's the way it is for me going forward. Even a great team can have a stinker of a performance on the field/court. Even if you comp'd tix you are still spending some money and investing time having zero ability to influence outcome. So, for me it's all about fan experience before and during the game.
Make getting to the game and leaving the game functional. Sure, it's going to be slow and there is almost always at least one choke point, but make the flow make sense and keeping things at least moving at a snails pace.
Make the pre-game a low stress event. 95% of the fans just want a few brews and some food before the game. Leave them be. They are more than capable of self-policing their own little event. Have the event security focus their attention on the obvious smaller percentage who are there to drink as much as possible and be as disruptive as possible. They are easy to see.
Make the in-game experience fun. Concessions should run smoothly, bathrooms should be accessible and clean (and no touch for the flushing, hand washing and drying).
When you actually attend a well thought out event it makes seeing the flaws in other events very easy and you can see how a little bit of effort and foresight can make a huge difference in fan experience.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom