OT: - The new breed: NFL only sports fan. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: The new breed: NFL only sports fan.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I've been thinking about this more and more lately and have been looking to get some outside input, so I turn to the yard because for some reason I trust y'alls opinion:

As I watch the MLB playoffs I wonder at how little attention this event gets. I still love it and it's great TV, as it always has been. I have several friends who I thought were "sports" fans, based on the number of football jerseys they own and how seriously they take NFL Sundays. But whenever I try to talk CBB, baseball, NHL, Golf etc. I am met with a shrug.
These are the NFL only sports fans. A new breed of sports fan. They seem to be everywhere. Can anyone shine a light on this interesting creature?

This is not a new phenomenon. You are just getting older and your friends, who are presumably maturing, are prioritizing their entertainment minutes.

Reaction Score
I am clearly in the minority but I'm old. I love baseball and the NFL as well. This is a great time of year for me, NFL, CFB, NHL and MLB playoffs. I also love college basketball and college baseball. I don't give two hoots for the NBA however until the playoffs.

Reaction Score
The home run or bust trend, regardless of the number of strike outs, has made the game less interesting. There used to be more activity, athleticism and strategy in baseball.

At the same time, the NFL's embrace of gambling, especially fantasy football has added a dimension to the game. It's interactive. Fans are fans of their own teams regardless of the name on the jerseys.

Look at a guy like Romo. In the 1960's he would be a guy who put up numbers but couldn't win when it counted. In the 2020's he's looked at as one of the best fantasy players of all time - a Hall of Famer. There hasn't been as much growth in fantasy baseball to engage fans.

Reaction Score
try again.
'Viewership for baseball has been on the rise. A record 11.5 billion minutes of MLB content was viewed throughout the 2022 season.'

attendance (people paying cash money to have a good time at the ballpark) only jumped 20 million folks this season, from 45 millions to 65 millions.
MLB attendance improves in 2022, crowds still smaller than pre-pandemic

imma fan, me and millions and millions of others.

apparently, lots of folks aren't micro-managing every single minute of their lives, and enjoy periodically whiling away the hours, lazing around, and just enjoying the game with no clock.

hey paully! what did you have to eat today? anything good? i bet it's something michael would never try!
I'm one of you. I understand those people who find football convenient and baseball inconvenient. But as a huge Rays fan, I managed to watch almost every game this year , with a 6 month old son and a job.

Reaction Score
Most people don't actually love the sport of baseball, they like their team. Luckily their team plays 6 times a week. Most sports fans will watch any two football teams on Sunday/Monday night football(partly due to fantasy football and gambling). Almost nobody is watching Diamondbacks vs Rockies on Sunday night baseball unless they are fans of those teams. People will also watch most any good college football or basketball matchups outside their favorite team. Beside the actual product itself, there are just too many games in the MLB and NBA season. I62 games?? I get it's a money issue shortening the season and it also messes with historical records but damn that's too many games and it dilutes the importance of games. Every other pitcher now has TJ surgery multiple times by age 30. Wonder why?

Reaction Score
A few things missed here so far.

1) The Sunday experience is now RedZone. Every possession inside the 20 and every touchdown scored with no commercials for 8 hours. You can watch your 0-0, 15 inning playoff baseball. Not me.

2) I'm a Jets fan. I've had nothing to root for my whole life....but I'm in multiple fantasy leagues, 2 picks leagues and play FanDuel. I have a rooting interest in every game, sometimes every play.

3) This whole thread is why no one (NFL included) really cares about concussions.

Reaction Score
This is not a new phenomenon. You are just getting older and your friends, who are presumably maturing, are prioritizing their entertainment minutes.
This could be. But it also feels like people have become their cell phones. You've heard the Pascal quote "all of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit in a quiet room alone". Next time you are watching a football game with someone notice how often they go from game to phone back to game back to phone. I feel that our culture has become too antsy for baseball. I've secretly challenged "huge football fans" to watch a game they have no fantasy or gambling interest in. They want no part of it.

Reaction Score
Most people don't actually love the sport of baseball, they like their team. Luckily their team plays 6 times a week. Most sports fans will watch any two football teams on Sunday/Monday night football(partly due to fantasy football and gambling). Almost nobody is watching Diamondbacks vs Rockies on Sunday night baseball unless they are fans of those teams. People will also watch most any good college football or basketball matchups outside their favorite team. Beside the actual product itself, there are just too many games in the MLB and NBA season. I62 games?? I get it's a money issue shortening the season and it also messes with historical records but damn that's too many games and it dilutes the importance of games. Every other pitcher now has TJ surgery multiple times by age 30. Wonder why?
I think pitchers are getting injured due to youth baseball. Baseball used to be (depending on what part of the country you live in) an April to July, maybe August sport. Then it would be fall sports. Now baseball is year round, fall leagues, indoor winter training etc. Thus kids that show promise pitching are pitching year round never giving their arms a rest. Also pitch count limits do not get their arms used to throwing and building up strength. The cycle before this recent years of Tommy John surgery of pitching five or so months and then doing something else seemed to serve earlier generations of pitchers well.

Plus nobody long tosses anymore which builds up arm strength.

Reaction Score
Every game in the NFL has significant meaning. Their season is literally around 1/10 the length in number of games than baseball. I love baseball as does my dad. I have known no bigger MLB fan than my dad, but even he has cut down and lost some interest. With the playoff expansion, it makes the season games less meaningful and THERE'S 162 OF THEM.

Reaction Score
I think pitchers are getting injured due to youth baseball. Baseball used to be (depending on what part of the country you live in) an April to July, maybe August sport. Then it would be fall sports. Now baseball is year round, fall leagues, indoor winter training etc. Thus kids that show promise pitching are pitching year round never giving their arms a rest. Also pitch count limits do not get their arms used to throwing and building up strength. The cycle before this recent years of Tommy John surgery of pitching five or so months and then doing something else seemed to serve earlier generations of pitchers well.

And the sports science has almost everyone throwing high 90's pushing 100.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
NFL is the perfect sports product for a society that has zero attention span left and loves drama. Also, the betting and fantasy aspect line up perfectly for a sport with a schedule that is super easy to follow and watch. Baseball has none of this, in addition to having no real college presence and about half the players are foreign. Baseball needs to figure something out, although I still watch. I've actually been watching more MLB and less NBA lately. The NBA players are the biggest babies and the hoops quality is trash compared to NCAA.

On another note, I found a new type of sports fan this weekend. My nephew, who is a freshman in HS and plays soccer/baseball/golf/skis, says he plays sports but doesn't watch them, and that the same is true for most of his friends.

Husky25

Reaction Score

This is oversimplifying it, especially scapegoating organized youth baseball, as if it didn't exist in 1950. You know what didn't exist in 1950 (actually, prior to 1974)? Tommy John Surgery.

For one thing, baseball is not a game that can be picked up (and excelled at) as a high school teenager, if only for the specific skills needed, and if a coach is not encouraging their players (not just pitchers. ALL of them) to do long toss, they are subpar for their position. organized programs have limits for pitchers, in terms of offseason throwing programs and pitch counts during games/practice/scrimmages to protect young, developing arms.

40 years ago, the game was amazed by Roger Clemens who lived in the low 90s and could touch 96 or so on occasion. Most pitchers players back then topped out in the mid 80s in order to not get hurt. The only difference between pitchers and position players was throwing with different spin more accurately. Now, pitchers are specialized and can't sniff a major league diamond without the promise of hitting triple digits. At the same time, the harder one throws the more recovery time one needs. Even if only a few seconds between pitches, the game slows down.

Greg Maddox, Jamie Moyer, nor Mark Buehrle could reach 90 mph in a car, but they all won over 210 games, for which average elapsed time of game were well under three hours.

The biggest difference between then and now is that TJ is no longer experimental to only make a salary just north of selling washing machines on commission at Sears. Now it's a backstop for $5 million long relievers.

But sure. Youth baseball is the problem.

Edit: I'd also look at factors external to baseball. For instance, how often are kids on mobile devices, rather than playing catch outside of organized team events?

My guess is they aren't throwing enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
NFL is the perfect sports product for a society that has zero attention span left and loves drama. Also, the betting and fantasy aspect line up perfectly for a sport with a schedule that is super easy to follow and watch. Baseball has none of this, in addition to having no real college presence and about half the players are foreign. Baseball needs to figure something out, although I still watch. I've actually been watching more MLB and less NBA lately. The NBA players are the biggest babies and the hoops quality is trash compared to NCAA.

On another note, I found a new type of sports fan this weekend. My nephew, who is a freshman in HS and plays soccer/baseball/golf/skis, says he plays sports but doesn't watch them, and that the same is true for most of his friends.
You had me until the NBA v. NCAA stuff. I love college hoops but the quality of play is awful compared to the NBA.

Reaction Score
Everyone talks about MLB season being too it is 6 months long (regular season. The NBA season is 9 months long for an NBA finals team not counting training camp. Teams in all sports should increase roster sizes.

Reaction Score
This is oversimplifying it, especially scapegoating organized youth baseball, as if it didn't exist in 1950. You know what didn't exist in 1950 (actually, prior to 1974)? Tommy John Surgery.

For one thing, baseball is not a game that can be picked up (and excelled at) as a high school teenager, if only for the specific skills needed, and if a coach is not encouraging their players (not just pitchers. ALL of them) to do long toss, they are subpar for their position. organized programs have limits for pitchers, in terms of offseason throwing programs and pitch counts during games/practice/scrimmages to protect young, developing arms.

40 years ago, the game was amazed by Roger Clemens who lived in the low 90s and could touch 96 or so on occasion. Most pitchers players back then topped out in the mid 80s in order to not get hurt. The only difference between pitchers and position players was throwing with different spin more accurately. Now, pitchers are specialized and can't sniff a major league diamond without the promise of hitting triple digits. At the same time, the harder one throws the more recovery time one needs. Even if only a few seconds between pitches, the game slows down.

Greg Maddox, Jamie Moyer, nor Mark Buehrle could reach 90 mph in a car, but they all won over 210 games, for which average elapsed time of game were well under three hours.

The biggest difference between then and now is that TJ is no longer experimental to only make a salary just north of selling washing machines on commission at Sears. Now it's a backstop for $5 million long relievers.

But sure. Youth baseball is the problem.

Edit: I'd also look at factors external to baseball. For instance, how often are kids on mobile devices, rather than playing catch outside of organized team events?

My guess is they aren't throwing enough.
Clearly you know youth baseball is completely different now than in 1980 let alone 1950.

Clemens threw just as hard as any of these guys today. They measure it out of the hand now, they used to measure it crossing the plate or halfway to the plate.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Clearly you know youth baseball is completely different now than in 1980 let alone 1950.

Clemens threw just as hard as any of these guys today. They measure it out of the hand now, they used to measure it crossing the plate or halfway to the plate.
Correct. Clemens was the outlier. Was I not clear on that?

Reaction Score
Whether good or bad, gambling drives today’s interest in sports, especially the NFL. I’m a sportsaholic so willing to watch anything, but community-based means the most to me. From a historical perspective, this translates to:

1. Hartford Whalers
2. UConn athletics
3. Everything else

It just feels the best for me when the local teams are successful.

Reaction Score
Correct. Clemens was the outlier. Was I not clear on that?
No, it wasn't clear. Clemens and the other hard throwers from when he pitched throw just as hard as the hard throwers of today. A lot of people are under the impression the hard thowers throw a lot harder today.

Husky25

Reaction Score
No, it wasn't clear. Clemens and the other hard throwers from when he pitched throw just as hard as the hard throwers of today. A lot of people are under the impression the hard thowers throw a lot harder today.
I'm not talking about speed. I'm talking about the number of players that can get it up there.

Reaction Score
I'm not talking about speed. I'm talking about the number of players that can get it up there.
And I'm saying that's all skewed by how they measure it.

Reaction Score
This could be. But it also feels like people have become their cell phones. You've heard the Pascal quote "all of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit in a quiet room alone". Next time you are watching a football game with someone notice how often they go from game to phone back to game back to phone. I feel that our culture has become too antsy for baseball. I've secretly challenged "huge football fans" to watch a game they have no fantasy or gambling interest in. They want no part of it.

I don't really get the logic here because football has just as much downtime as baseball. Hell, there are only about 11 minutes of actual action in a three-hour football game.

Reaction Score
I’ve actually been disappointed in how little I care about football now. I turn on red zone at 1pm like everyone else, but I usually stop watching by the 4pm games. Forget prime time games too, redzone conditioned me to never accept commercials. I was a die hard fan years ago too, probably almost to the same level I’ve been obsessed with UConn basketball. I really couldn’t tell you what happened, I guess people out grow things sometimes?
You didn’t grow out of it. The product just sucks. If it wasn’t for betting/fantasy more people would feel the same way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom