OT: - The new breed: NFL only sports fan. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The new breed: NFL only sports fan.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For NFL onlys who did not see any of the Baseball games today, you missed 2 barn burners. Philly holds off Atlanta 7-6 after a spirited comeback and Houston breaks the hearts of the Mariners on a walk off 3 run homer to win 8-7.

Looking forward to see if Judge can maintain his magic although if I were Cleveland, Judge would not see a ball within 2 ft of the strike zone.

Reaction Score
I don't watch baseball. I would have a hard time even naming a current player. This is a problem for baseball. In the past, even though I didn't watch, I could name 5 to 10 players. Their problem now is the either have no current stars or they are horrible at marketing them. As a black man, baseball's history of racism doesn't help either.

Reaction Score
UConn mens hoops and baseball for me. Haven’t watched a football game in at least 20 years. 350 pound men running full speed into each other. Eventually someone is going to get killed on the field. Disgusting sport.

Reaction Score
I've been thinking about this more and more lately and have been looking to get some outside input, so I turn to the yard because for some reason I trust y'alls opinion:

As I watch the MLB playoffs I wonder at how little attention this event gets. I still love it and it's great TV, as it always has been. I have several friends who I thought were "sports" fans, based on the number of football jerseys they own and how seriously they take NFL Sundays. But whenever I try to talk CBB, baseball, NHL, Golf etc. I am met with a shrug.
These are the NFL only sports fans. A new breed of sports fan. They seem to be everywhere. Can anyone shine a light on this interesting creature?
I’ve literally never met an “NFL only” sports fan, but then again I live in the metro NYC area so there’s a diverse range of sports fandom.

For those here who’ve met these people, where have you met them? Are they actual football fans, or just watchers of NFL for betting/FF reasons? If someone loves football, I can’t see them only watching NFL, but that’s just me, the guy who loves basketball and doesn’t really watch NBA…

Reaction Score
162 games is overkill. Start the season later, end it earlier. Playoff baseball is great but getting there is absolutely brutal.

Another hot take - make NBA playoff games single elimination.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
That is the argument I cannot understand with baseball vs. football...the games are both about 3 hours on average. I personally think there is more action in baseball than football and I believe there was a study done that showed football has the least amount of gameplay/action out of any sport.
But it’s 3 hrs x 6 for baseball per week and just 3 hrs total for football. The commitment is significantly different for football.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Besides UConn, the I’m a die hard Yankees fan. Watch almost every game (pay for the MLB package to do so).

I’d still rather watch Lions play the Broncos tomorrow than any other MLB post season game.

I’d also probably tune into an ACC football game over an MLB game.

Love baseball. But outside of “your own” team, I find it tough to watch.

Reaction Score
I don't watch baseball. I would have a hard time even naming a current player. This is a problem for baseball. In the past, even though I didn't watch, I could name 5 to 10 players. Their problem now is the either have no current stars or they are horrible at marketing them. As a black man, baseball's history of racism doesn't help either.
You can't name Aaron Judge? Have you been living in a hermetically sealed container for the past two months?

Reaction Score
Besides UConn, the I’m a die hard Yankees fan. Watch almost every game (pay for the MLB package to do so).

I’d still rather watch Lions play the Broncos tomorrow than any other MLB post season game.

I’d also probably tune into an ACC football game over an MLB game.

Wait... I'm a die hard Broncos fan and even I can't watch that team.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I’ve literally never met an “NFL only” sports fan, but then again I live in the metro NYC area so there’s a diverse range of sports fandom.

For those here who’ve met these people, where have you met them? Are they actual football fans, or just watchers of NFL for betting/FF reasons? If someone loves football, I can’t see them only watching NFL, but that’s just me, the guy who loves basketball and doesn’t really watch NBA…

I'm thinking by NFL only the OP is more saying people have a rooting interest in say the Giants, but on Sunday's Red Zone, fantasy, daily fantasy, gambling etc. come first.

To that definition I know a ton of people like that.

Reaction Score

"Out of the Top 100, beyond the 75 that were NFL games, 11 were events from the Tokyo Olympics, seven were college football games and two were NCAA basketball games. The NBA, MLB and NHL did not put any games in the Top 100."

Reaction Score
I'm thinking by NFL only the OP is more saying people have a rooting interest in say the Giants, but on Sunday's Red Zone, fantasy, daily fantasy, gambling etc. come first.

To that definition I know a ton of people like that.
I was mainly referring to the people @Hey Adrien! has never met. Those people who are so visibly into football that you would think it would follow that you could at least strike up a conversation about other sports but it then becomes clear they only know football.

but @ConnHuskBask just as interesting are the fans you mentioned. they claim to be a huge Cowboys fan for example, but would rather see Jalen Hurts torch Dallas if Hurts is the guys' fantasy QB. I can't fathom that as a fan.

Reaction Score

"Out of the Top 100, beyond the 75 that were NFL games, 11 were events from the Tokyo Olympics, seven were college football games and two were NCAA basketball games. The NBA, MLB and NHL did not put any games in the Top 100."
I wasn't questioning footballs dominance in popularity. This stat backs my position up. The lack of diversity in the responses points to a viewing public that is not very diverse in their sports portfolio.

Mainly football events and then some mega-affairs like the Olympics and March Madness that everybody in their office watches, sports fan or not.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
NFL stinks now compared to what it used to be. It certainly looks less like what it used to be than MLB does. They should've renamed it the National QB Leaue a while ago.

I agree with you on the marketing of the sport. You can't escape it, it's all the sports media talks about, it's everywhere in commercials, and people who know nothing about the sport can rattle off all the player stats because everyone is in a fantasy league.

I'll still be at the Bears game Thursday night but I don't pay attention to what's on the field like I used to.
NFL-only fans are not a new thing. For many busy adults, it's the only sport they can follow in its entirety. Nearly every game is on a Sunday and it's a three-hour commitment for the entire week.

If you watch all of your favorite NFL team's games it's a 51-hour commitment for the regular season.
If you watch all of your favorite MLB team's games it's roughly a 500-hour commitment. It's a ton of weeknight games, some west coast games, etc.

Baseball is incredibly boring to most people (this coming from someone who used to be a huge baseball fan before quitting cold turkey almost 15 years ago) plus I don't know how any busy adult with a family can follow it. Free time is hard to come by and I can think of a dozen things I'd rather do with it than watch regular season baseball. Hell, even as a huge NBA fan it's difficult to watch much of the regular season, especially since it matters so little relative to the postseason.

What is a new style of fan are the ones who do not watch any games in their entirety. Even big games. Even championship games or series. They watch 10-15 minute extended recap/highlight clips on social media and that's it. That's the youngest generation of sports fans.

Meld these two comments together and you have the right answer.

As adults get older, time gets more precious for most of us and the ability to devote 2-3 every night to sports just isn't reality.

So, you end up finding one or two sports you devote most time and energy towards and start to lose interest in others. Even your favorite teams become less interesting when they are having bad seasons.

Rules for sports have changed over the years and there are some rule changes you like and others you don't. Those can change the characteristic of the game and cause some to lose interest.

Free agency is another area which creates so much roster turnover if you blink you lose track of who is on "your teams".

Add in the gambling and fantasy sports angles and you have a perfect cauldron for leaning towards specific sports.

Take baseball. I despise batters being all armored up, pitchers not being allowed to pitch inside and batters refusing to bunt or hit the opposite direction when they put the shift on certain players. Batters have completely forgotten the art of hitting. It's basically nine innings of home run derby every game to me. I also don't like the pitcher has to pitch to a minimum number of batters rule. Managing a staff during a game is a big part of the art of managing in MLB. If a manager wants to use one pitcher for one batter, so be it. I'd also have the batter can only leave the box once during an at bat and pitchers can only step off the mound once per at bat and are on a 25 second clock.

For NFL I don't like the QB's basically being completely off limits for contact now. Yeah, I get the Tua thing but if teams were so worried about QB's getting drilled, they would keep more players in for pass protection, run quicker routes, do Randy Edsall's favorite play, the delayed inside hand off or draw, run screens, whatever. Defenses have a couple of players whose sole function is to get in to backfield and get to the passer. Offenses need to scheme against that.

Hockey lost me with all the different number of skaters and overtime rules, and point scoring scenarios. I was fine with simple W/L/T and keep everyone on the ice.

Basketball is so much more skilled than it was compared to what I would consider the glory days of 1980 til the end of the Bulls second three peat. But, I don't want to watch 50 3's being shot every night. I could care less who is shooting the shot- If a center can shoot 3's, great. Let him do it. The James Harden's of the world nailed the coffin shut for me with the YMCA lunch time style of put head down, drive recklessly and call everything a foul. Add in players being able to travel all over the court all the time and it's not the same sport I enjoyed watching. The eurostep is nice, the defensive rotations are nice to watch but the game bores me.

As a guy who is approaching the age where I'm no longer considered the premium age group for advertising, I watch mostly UConn college basketball and football and some college football on Saturdays. College is either at my house or a friends house. The only NFL I watch at my house is Sunday Night Football because it's a nice way to end the weekend. If I watch any other NFL at my house it's more background noise while I'm doing other stuff. Or, we sometimes go to friends' houses to watch games because they have a rooting interest in a game.

Long story short. For those of you young enough and free enough to constantly watch and enjoy all the sports you like now, congrats and appreciate the moment. It will fade away.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’ve actually been disappointed in how little I care about football now. I turn on red zone at 1pm like everyone else, but I usually stop watching by the 4pm games. Forget prime time games too, redzone conditioned me to never accept commercials. I was a die hard fan years ago too, probably almost to the same level I’ve been obsessed with UConn basketball. I really couldn’t tell you what happened, I guess people out grow things sometimes?

Reaction Score
I don’t love it but this is very true. I’ll tune into any decent Fb game for a bit, but I won’t even stop for the score on a non Yankee baseball game

Plus baseball is driving fans away. I used to get YES on my cable feed and would flip on a bit of the game if I was watching TV. Now YES isn’t available on Hulu. I’m not paying for access. I put on the game last night and had no idea who half the players were before the announcer told me

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Lords of Baseball do a remarkable job of ruining the game. As with everything else, money is the biggest issue But the list is endless of the stuff they have done.

But I’m not sure we can complain about one sport fans on this board. I know more than a few UConn basketball fans who actually resent the fact that the University try’s to succeed in multiple sports. I’ve heard basketball fans complain about football of course, but more than a few have also complained that UConn should not have upgraded hockey because it will take resources from basketball. And even a couple who oppose the support women’s basketball gets. I have never heard an NFL fan say the Red Sox ought to be shut down!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I have met these people, they don’t bother me too much though.

You know what fans are extremely annoying though? College sports fans who have different schools depending on sport. (Ex: UNC Basketball & Alabama football fan)
This kind of reminds me of childhood when the Yankees and Boston Celtics dominated professional baseball and basketball. While Central Ct fans were kind of divided between Yanks and Sox; everyone loved or at least admired the Celtics. They were just in another world back then. So liking the team rather than the town/region.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
But it’s 3 hrs x 6 for baseball per week and just 3 hrs total for football. The commitment is significantly different for football.
I guess I have misunderstood the people making the argument that baseball games are too long and that is why they do not watch. You are correct though a 162 game season at about 3 hours a game does take dedication.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Same in regards to the Yankees. Aaron Judge re-ignited some of my passion this year but it’s still not the same as it used to be. In middle and high school I regularly sat through entire 3+ hour Yankee games and now in my mid 30’s I find it nearly impossible unless it’s a meaningful game.
Since the games are more than an hour (at least) longer than they used to be I let the game start on record while I watch something else (movie, Youtube etc.) Then I come back from time to time to the game and see if anything has happened while I sort of fast forward through the commercials and sometimes the game itself. Some of the metric info is interesting but it seems to have taken all the spontaneity out of the game. I think the tv announcers have to be pretty interesting and creative in order to keep the audience from falling asleep. I understand the logic of calling a 10 pitch at bat a "productive at bat" (ie. wearing out the pitcher) even if it results in an out. But it is really boring. Next season they are removing the shift against hitters and making the pitcher speed up the time he delivers the pitch.

Reaction Score
In addition to what people have said, the season has only been 16/17 games. Easy to focus on / obsess over.
The obsession isn't only during the football season. The minutia that is discussed year round on the radio about the NFL is absurd.

Mock Drafts in the newspapers even before the college season begins is ridiculous as well as the mock drafts scrawling across my TV all the time from December to draft day.

Reaction Score
You can't name Aaron Judge? Have you been living in a hermetically sealed container for the past two months?
Not who you responded to, but I know the name strictly because of all of the notifications ESPN pushes to me on my phone. I don't read the notification when I see its his name and recognize its baseball. So, to be honest, I know he's doing something historic in baseball, but I have no clue what it is. Homeruns? Hits? I don't know.

I've tried to get into baseball in the past, but just can't do it. It's just too slow.

Reaction Score
Meld these two comments together and you have the right answer.

As adults get older, time gets more precious for most of us and the ability to devote 2-3 every night to sports just isn't reality.

So, you end up finding one or two sports you devote most time and energy towards and start to lose interest in others. Even your favorite teams become less interesting when they are having bad seasons.

Rules for sports have changed over the years and there are some rule changes you like and others you don't. Those can change the characteristic of the game and cause some to lose interest.

Free agency is another area which creates so much roster turnover if you blink you lose track of who is on "your teams".

Add in the gambling and fantasy sports angles and you have a perfect cauldron for leaning towards specific sports.

Take baseball. I despise batters being all armored up, pitchers not being allowed to pitch inside and batters refusing to bunt or hit the opposite direction when they put the shift on certain players. Batters have completely forgotten the art of hitting. It's basically nine innings of home run derby every game to me. I also don't like the pitcher has to pitch to a minimum number of batters rule. Managing a staff during a game is a big part of the art of managing in MLB. If a manager wants to use one pitcher for one batter, so be it. I'd also have the batter can only leave the box once during an at bat and pitchers can only step off the mound once per at bat and are on a 25 second clock.

For NFL I don't like the QB's basically being completely off limits for contact now. Yeah, I get the Tua thing but if teams were so worried about QB's getting drilled, they would keep more players in for pass protection, run quicker routes, do Randy Edsall's favorite play, the delayed inside hand off or draw, run screens, whatever. Defenses have a couple of players whose sole function is to get in to backfield and get to the passer. Offenses need to scheme against that.

Hockey lost me with all the different number of skaters and overtime rules, and point scoring scenarios. I was fine with simple W/L/T and keep everyone on the ice.

Basketball is so much more skilled than it was compared to what I would consider the glory days of 1980 til the end of the Bulls second three peat. But, I don't want to watch 50 3's being shot every night. I could care less who is shooting the shot- If a center can shoot 3's, great. Let him do it. The James Harden's of the world nailed the coffin shut for me with the YMCA lunch time style of put head down, drive recklessly and call everything a foul. Add in players being able to travel all over the court all the time and it's not the same sport I enjoyed watching. The eurostep is nice, the defensive rotations are nice to watch but the game bores me.

As a guy who is approaching the age where I'm no longer considered the premium age group for advertising, I watch mostly UConn college basketball and football and some college football on Saturdays. College is either at my house or a friends house. The only NFL I watch at my house is Sunday Night Football because it's a nice way to end the weekend. If I watch any other NFL at my house it's more background noise while I'm doing other stuff. Or, we sometimes go to friends' houses to watch games because they have a rooting interest in a game.

Long story short. For those of you young enough and free enough to constantly watch and enjoy all the sports you like
Nice work. Good assessment on how these sports have all shifted and so quickly too. More changes in the major sports over the past 15 years than in the 50 years prior.
As for the non football sports, I think that people swear them off as boring, assume it will always be boring and never give even the post-season a chance. You're right, it's tough to follow every game during a long season but if these football only fans took a moment to watch let's say mlb playoffs (there have been several great games so far), NBA playoffs (last few year's have been great) NHL (except for Stanley cup) and CBB conference tourneys, they'd see intense, dramatic games. I'd even venture to say that nfl playoffs and college bowl games might produce some of the biggest clunkers.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The obsession isn't only during the football season. The minutia that is discussed year round on the radio about the NFL is absurd.

Mock Drafts in the newspapers even before the college season begins is ridiculous as well as the mock drafts scrawling across my TV all the time from December to draft day.

I really don't think that the people who obsess all year round are NFL-only fans. You have to be into the college game to obsess like that, because a lot of it has to do with the draft.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
First, baseball is not great TV.

No sport is more hostile to its own fans than baseball….the games are interminable. Even the 15-inning scoreless game was horrible baseball - just two teams hoping to hit a home run.

The NFL just puts a vastly superior product in front of its fans and it sucks all of the oxygen out of playoff baseball coverage.
try again.
'Viewership for baseball has been on the rise. A record 11.5 billion minutes of MLB content was viewed throughout the 2022 season.'

attendance (people paying cash money to have a good time at the ballpark) only jumped 20 million folks this season, from 45 millions to 65 millions.
MLB attendance improves in 2022, crowds still smaller than pre-pandemic

imma fan, me and millions and millions of others.

apparently, lots of folks aren't micro-managing every single minute of their lives, and enjoy periodically whiling away the hours, lazing around, and just enjoying the game with no clock.

hey paully! what did you have to eat today? anything good? i bet it's something michael would never try!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom