The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season...

Reaction Score
Similar to SI article earlier in thread but w/ a few more details:

>>Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle, has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences, according to two sources with knowledge of athletes' medical care.

The condition is usually caused by a viral infection, including those that cause the common cold, H1N1 influenza or mononucleosis. Left undiagnosed and untreated, it can cause heart damage and sudden cardiac arrest, which can be fatal. It is a rare condition, but the COVID-19 virus has been linked with myocarditis with a higher frequency than other viruses, based on limited studies and anecdotal evidence since the start of the pandemic.

The concern has "made the bar higher" for returning to fall sports, said Dr. Jonathan Drezner, director of the University of Washington Medicine Center for Sports Cardiology and a sports medicine physician who advises the NCAA on cardiac issues, "and it could be we don't get there."<<

Reaction Score
I can only speak to a couple where my kids teach. St Joes in Philly is online for most except very small, mostly senior theses. UNC is unline for classes of more than 15. It was 35 until about 2 weeks ago. They lowered it to 15. Again mostly very advanced classes.

These guys are students. Not freaking pows. You can’t keep them locked in a football Center 24/7. Although the SEC. will try. Going to be intersting to watch BC. Do they go along with the ACC or do they put their players and coaches in the firing line for the money? We shall see what Catholic values mean in the next week or so

Reaction Score

>>Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle, has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences, according to two sources with knowledge of athletes' medical care.

The condition is usually caused by a viral infection, including those that cause the common cold, H1N1 influenza or mononucleosis. Left undiagnosed and untreated, it can cause heart damage and sudden cardiac arrest, which can be fatal. It is a rare condition, but the COVID-19 virus has been linked with myocarditis with a higher frequency than other viruses, based on limited studies and anecdotal evidence since the start of the pandemic.

The concern has "made the bar higher" for returning to fall sports, said Dr. Jonathan Drezner, director of the University of Washington Medicine Center for Sports Cardiology and a sports medicine physician who advises the NCAA on cardiac issues, "and it could be we don't get there."<<

This can’t be true. For those under 70 it’s just the flu. Except when it isn’t.

Reaction Score
The St. Louis Cardinals have only managed to play 5 games thus far. A team full of adults in a sport with limited physical contact can't stay on the field. I will just leave it at that.

Reaction Score
Ryan Day the Ohio St coach was on an ESPN show trying his best to pitch for a season. The obvious positives of having the players back, involved in the program activities, back together as a group etc. I I know this is real hardship for players who want to play emotionally but the right thing to do is not play this fall so some of those players do not get myocarditis amongst other symptoms. As to Frost going out and playing games as a free agent team what is he thinking?

Reaction Score

If Chris cannot tell the difference between 80 kids in a relative bubble in the summer with no other students on campus practicing against themselves and a fall football game after campus is full, while flying hundreds of miles to a state with potentially out of control COVID to wrestle each other for 60 minutes and then flying back home, I do not know what to say.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I, after doing some reading, do worry about the possible heart damage aspects of the virus....

I'd say a vast majority of the kids want to play...but should the universities enable that?

And, if that heart damage is a real possibility...why open campuses?

Welcome back to March. Some of us knew this then.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't get why you move forward with that kind of input. No championship. It's just games to play games (and maybe get sick). Why not try to rally the troops for a spring season with meaningful games?

TV money.

Reaction Score
Welcome back to March. Some of us knew this then.

And there are worse things than heart damage, believe it or not. It's been linked to things like demyelinating disorder, which used to be extremely rare until this year.

Reaction Score
When I didn't think there was a worse take than playing Buddy Boeheim 30+ minutes per game...

Reaction Score
Big 10 isn’t playing. They are just waiting for the PAC to join them. The ACC SEC and B12. I don’t know

Reaction Score
The “highly regulated players” are students, or have we all just given up on the fact that these are student athletes

They are students...but when they are in season...they are tested twice a week, temperatures taken every time they enter a building....they live together in two person apartments and have constant direction about distancing and team peer pressure to do so.

But students......students will be students.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
They are students...but when they are in season...they are tested twice a week, temperatures taken every time they enter a building....they live together in two person apartments and have constant direction about distancing and team peer pressure to do so.

Professional athletes have been nabbed attending parties and strip clubs but college athletes have direction and peer pressure? Why was I ever worried?

Reaction Score

Testing schmesting

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom