The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It seems like they have been trending that way. The virus really has accelerated this. People can attend school without leaving their homes. The need for a campus has diminished.
One wonders whether a packed lecture hall is any better learning environment than online learning. College is about more than just the classes, but I do think the pressure on the smaller privates which are still jockeying for a niche is going to be enormous.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One wonders whether a packed lecture hall is any better learning environment than online learning. College is about more than just the classes, but I do think the pressure on the smaller privates which are still jockeying for a niche is going to be enormous.

Serious question for you or anyone else who sat in large (>50 student) lecture halls.

How many times did you or others raise a hand to asks question or engage in any meaningful dialogue with the professor?

CL82

Reaction Score
Serious question for you or anyone else who sat in large (>50 student) lecture halls.

How many times did you or others raise a hand to asks question or engage in any meaningful dialogue with the professor?
In college, not that I remember. Post grad, more frequently.

Reaction Score
Smaller liberal arts colleges with small endowments? Yep. Several of them will fold. Even major universities are going to have to figure out what they are really good at and focus funding towards those programs.

Even liberal arts colleges with incredible reputations, Like Hampshire College, are in danger.

As for big universities, they face a twin problem in reconsidering support for the breadth of departments throughout the university. One: the liberal arts courses operate in the black and produce a net profit for the school whereas the engineering courses operate at a loss. Any reduction in liberal arts creates a funding problem for the rest of the university. Two: a school's reputation and prestige relates to the breadth of offerings, ESPECIALLY in the AAU. So--which school goes first and takes a risk with its reputation?

I know Canisius is moving more to becoming a pre-professional school by eliminating departments and firing professors, and I think that may work out well for them. They are risking their rep on a bold move to keep the school afloat. They also reduced tuition, but already students are reporting cuts in scholarship. This may be a map out of the problem for some schools. Become pre-pro for upper middle class students. But as for their reputation? It might not matter. For a bigger school it would.

Reaction Score
It seems like they have been trending that way. The virus really has accelerated this. People can attend school without leaving their homes. The need for a campus has diminished.

We're getting exactly the opposite feedback. Massive pushback against the online experience.

Reaction Score
Debatable. It is really tough to say the campus environment is unsafe for classes but safe for football players. It may well be that some have trouble with that duplicity, even if 20 year old who consider themselves immortal are willing to take the risk.

I can't ever underestimate the lengths people will go to in order to be duplicitous, BUT I think for once your description is exactly what is happening.

CL82

Reaction Score
I can't ever underestimate the lengths people will go to in order to be duplicitous, BUT I think for once your description is exactly what is happening.
For once? ;)

Reaction Score
We're getting exactly the opposite feedback. Massive pushback against the online experience.
I don’t blame them for feeling that way. I loved the college experience so much and I work on a campus. I do worry my kids may not have this opportunity.

Reaction Score
I hear the Clemson people are offering to do things that violate South Carolina obscenity laws in order to stop the ACC from voting to cancel. I actually think the ACC might be a close vote.

Reaction Score
Football players want to play, and old men guided by lawyers want to cover their backsides.
I get that you have to keep up your schtick, but when it’s scientists vs college kids, you might be backing the wrong horse. See spring break 2020 and Florida nightlife. Many schools were having challenges with no other people on campus. But hey, Trevor L texted that he wants to play, and our entertainment is what’s really important here, so...
A separate argument Could be made as to whether all kids should come back, but that’s for another thread.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Yeah until 1/2 of Ohio St, Clemson and Bama starters are drafted and stop playing at the end of April.
Why are you assuming that the NFL would even want to have the draft before the season ended?

Reaction Score
Why are you assuming that the NFL would even want to have the draft before the season ended?

Because the NFL has said they want an NFL event to happen in every single month of the yr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugway

Top Bottom