The MAC is officially examining expansion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The MAC is officially examining expansion

Reaction Score
As long as we are in the New Big East, and I gotta believe this is a long term deal, what are everyone's realistic expectations for the football program? Remaining Independent seems the only choice. The Sun Belt is where it's at.

I agree. It may be the most attractive G5 at this point. Good game atmosphere, fun style of play and good geographical rivalries. I’d prefer that to the American for football. It still isn’t quite as good as the American, but soon it probably will be.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Is it true that many of their programs are basically bankrupt? A failed expansion effort might be just the thing to destabilize the MAC which could lead to a Buffalo exit or, in a fantasy world, a UConn football only invite to help sure things up

Reaction Score
Buffalo is a far better University and Football Program than we first saw them at the Rent - circa 2002-2005. And they have had several solid basketball HC hires. They are beyond most MAC in most metrics. Big Endowment & AAU. Great rankings in Pharmacy, STEM, Engineering.

The MAC is only getting $410,000 per year on their TV and have a lot of that Flo stuff. I think WE are better off with a regional FB conference in the Northeast with Buffalo + others.

Reaction Score

Do you think C-USA would be a decent parking spot for UCONN Football if MTSU and WKU remained?
Would C-USA consider UCONN and UMass for football only?
It seems MTSU has a legit concern about playing most of their games in MAC and B1G country, recruiting wise.

UCONN
UMass

MTSU
WKU
FIU
LA TECH
UTEP
Jacksonville State
Liberty
NMSU
Sam Houston

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Do you think C-USA would be a decent parking spot for UCONN Football if MTSU and WKU remained?
It seems MTSU has a legit concern about playing most of their games in MAC and B1G country, recruiting wise.

UCONN
UMass

MTSU
WKU
FIU
LA TECH
UTEP
Jacksonville State
Liberty
NMSU
Sam Houston
Not interested.

Reaction Score

UCONN
UMass

MTSU
WKU
FIU
LA TECH
UTEP
Jacksonville State
Liberty
NMSU
Sam Houston
No no and no.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score

UCONN
UMass

MTSU
WKU
FIU
LA TECH
UTEP
Jacksonville State
Liberty
NMSU
Sam Houston
only with some kind of scheduling/tv autonomy + a commitment from C-USA to build a northeastern conference around us

Reaction Score
only with some kind of scheduling/tv autonomy + a commitment from C-USA to build a northeastern conference around us
Building a Northeastern conference around us leaves us destined for football irrelevance and actually undermines our overall AD and national university educational brands.

I just don't get why some people on here want to relegate ourselves to that. I'd much rather put forth the effort to climb back to/get to football relevance. It is so much more in line with everything else going on at the University.

Reaction Score
look

If we can have a Regional Conference - the NEW Yankee - with

UMASS
UCONN
Delaware
Buffalo
Villanova
Towson

We'd do it. All day. Then we'd have 5 conference games in that alliance & maybe 3 across the time zones. 4 more P5 or FCS regional

I believe we'd do far better than the MAC or Sun Belt in rights per annum fees. Keep our Basketball and Olympics separate. What my core point ... there is not gonna be an opening for UCONN in P5 in the next decade. It will be hard - at times - to be that Independent for that long

Reaction Score

We - UCONN - are not in the 40-50 today. There are 65 P5 schools; and this anticipates trashing a bunch - which IMHO is already earth moving thoughts. Vandy Duke Washington State Missouri Northwestern ... who needs you. Got $70m one year; gone the next.

That rings true.

Middle Tennessee is never going to be upgraded to the higher tier. No way. Just cannot think the elitist Academic element allows that. We were too late to the game. This also makes the newby rising a non factor. I bet the Houston, Cincinnati, Boise, BYU, UCF puts them deep at the back of the queue. BTW - I think this means BC and Syracuse also aren't in the top.

How do we maximize our Football revenue and Brand; how do we play at our highest level given our location.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Building a Northeastern conference around us leaves us destined for football irrelevance and actually undermines our overall AD and national university educational brands.

I just don't get why some people on here want to relegate ourselves to that. I'd much rather put forth the effort to climb back to/get to football relevance. It is so much more in line with everything else going on at the University.
what does football relevance even mean in this context? B1G eligibility down the line? i'm not really clear how a program with strong regional rivalries/regional interest that can get back on its feet and regularly sends guys to the League puts the program in a worse position. the NCAA is trending towards ~20 "relevant" teams in the traditional, big-money, national attention focus. i don't think UConn is going to make the cut there (at least in the next few rounds of reorganization)

Reaction Score
what does football relevance even mean in this context? B1G eligibility down the line? i'm not really clear how a program with strong regional rivalries/regional interest that can get back on its feet and regularly sends guys to the League puts the program in a worse position. the NCAA is trending towards ~20 "relevant" teams in the traditional, big-money, national attention focus. i don't think UConn is going to make the cut there (at least in the next few rounds of reorganization)
I'm not talking about B10 or even P4/P5. I'm talking about building a program that is in whatever middle ground exists between the top tier or two (~top 40) and the rest of the G5 and below. We lived in that range for a decent stretch in the first 15 years of this century. There's no reason why can't do it again (obviously we have to hire the right staff first).

My personal opinion is that our best road to that is to stay Independent for a while (?10 years?) rather than jump a rung or two down the ladder now. My reference point is that we are already scheduling above our punching weight now so why jump down now?

Reaction Score

UCONN
UMass

MTSU
WKU
FIU
LA TECH
UTEP
Jacksonville State
Liberty
NMSU
Sam Houston
Yes, anything is better than independence.

Upwardly mobile head coaching candidates would rather play this schedule than the murderer's row schedule we have lined up next year and at the end of the day players want to win and be part of winning programs and we are probably not gonna do much winning against the P5.

Play this schedule plus 3 games against the P5 and we would be in a much better place.

Stay independent and we may never break the cycle of losing.

Plus there is no such thing as independence for UCONN football, our independence makes us beggers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
and if you need proof we play Clemson this week. Few are really excited about it. There is more Buzz for UCONN vs Central than there is for UCONN vs Clemson.

Reaction Score
and if you need proof we play Clemson this week. Few are really excited about it. There is more Buzz for UCONN vs Central than there is for UCONN vs Clemson.
There is no buzz for football to play anyone because we won’t win. If we had Tyler at QB and Mazzone running the offense, I’d be excited for the game. Heck, I’d be somewhat excited if we just had Mazzone back. This season has fallen apart because the staff can’t run an offense. Inside handoff on 3rd and 10 just doesn’t instill confidence in the fan base.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom