The Leftovers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Leftovers

Reaction Score
I'm starting to think more and more that Nora never went to the departed side. She screamed right before the liquid "drowned" her and two things pop into my mind:

1) We're to believe she searched the earth (with 2 million people on it) to find the creator of that machine, then got him to build another one for the sole purpose of bringing her back? For what? To wrangle birds alone in Australia?

2) I find it hard to believe a mother would see her kids, not approach them and willingly leave them again.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
I'm starting to think more and more that Nora never went to the departed side. She screamed right before the liquid "drowned" her and two things pop into my mind:

1) We're to believe she searched the earth (with 2 million people on it) to find the creator of that machine, then got him to build another one for the sole purpose of bringing her back? For what? To wrangle birds alone in Australia?

2) I find it hard to believe a mother would see her kids, not approach them and willingly leave them again.

It's true, the more I think about it the more I feel like she was ashamed she didn't go through with it and needs to tell herself this story to go on.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

It's true, the more I think about it the more I feel like she was ashamed she didn't go through with it and needs to tell herself this story to go on.

One of the *maybe* telling things is that she was flashing onto memories of her family just by walking to the machine. before she even got in it.

Reaction Score

And didn't the nun say something about making the story so that it fits the scenario? I have to rewatch it, but is that basically why Nora has this story about going to the other side, seeing them, being okay with it, then coming back? That story just "sounds" better than the truth?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
And didn't the nun say something about making the story so that it fits the scenario? I have to rewatch it, but is that basically why Nora has this story about going to the other side, seeing them, being okay with it, then coming back? That story just "sounds" better than the truth?

Thats the beauty of the Leftovers though, isnt it. Considering precedent (kevins forays into death) she absolutely could be telling the truth. It is not a stretch at all to believe her story when put in context of the overall story arc.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score

Yeah, she talks about how she can't continue the charade with Kevin because it isn't real, goes back to the nun, calls her out for sleeping with someone and insults the party goers for their silly love story and the nun just shuts her down with "It's just a nicer story Sarah" or something like that. (going from memory here). She falls off the bike, rescues the scapegoat and puts on the beads (accepting her own sins, I'm thinking her 'sin' of not going through with it since she was supposed to be the bravest girl in the world), goes home, finds peace, finds Kevin.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
One (1) Emmy nomination...for Patti, who didn't have a lot of heavy lifting to do this year.

Reaction Score
That's crazy. Who got the noms over Nora?
Carrie Coon did. Not really but her being nominated for Fargo probably cost her a nom for Leftovers, or at least gave people an out so they didn't have to bump someone from the drama category since Fargo is a limited.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
One of the best television shows to ever come down the pike and it's given all of one Emmy nomination in three years - and the one it got was just odd.

The people who decide Emmy nominations are morons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom