The Last Dance on ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Last Dance on ESPN

Reaction Score
Thank you Husky. Thrre are great players in every generation but as the years past by those players are forgotten. As difficult as it may be for the followers of Jordan, James, and Kolbe to believe thirty of forty years from now, to that generation, they will be afterthoughts. If the criteria you are going to use is the number of championships then Bill Russell is, without question, the GOAT and the others are not even close. Jordan had one college Ncaa championship and neither James or Bryant had any. And none of them even came close to Russell when it came to NBA championships.
To be fair, Kobe and LeBron didn't go to college.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well for the record, I said winner, not NBA winner. KC won two NCAA championships and an Olympic gold medal in addition to the 8 NBA championships. As for including your initial comment, your disparagement of Russell with the snarky “smh” at the end of your comment, like Russell shouldn’t even be in the conversation was the reason. Players had better stats but NO player beat him as was pointed out by another poster. W’s and L’s are the proof, the rest is bar talk.
He shouldn't be.

bunk-the-wire.gif

Reaction Score
Great. Thanks

It did seem to me that they cut the clip off since one of MJ's handlers might have chuckled (scoffed) etc? Am I hearing things? :oops:
Nope. Michael laughed too.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Details please?
You really have to watch the entire episode and the series. But here is the back story. UCONN Alumni Scott Burrell was a teammate of MJ. MJ would ride Burrell unmercifully during practices. MJ said he just wanted Burrell to fight him back but he was "too nice a guy". One Day after a game Burrell brought two friends into the locker room to meet MJ. I believe Scott said the guys in the clip were former UCONN teammates. They mentioned that they drove all the way from CT for the Bulls game in Chicago. Anyway MJ sits with Burrell's friends and right away MJ starts talking trash while he signing autographs. MJ starts the digging by saying UCONN has a great Women's Team. The reason that was put in this episode is that the Director wanted to show that at practice MJ was an "balloon knot"-not my words Will Perdue said it. Once practice and games were over that same balloon knot would do anything for his teammates. In a previous episode, as you can imagine tickets were hard to come by because most people assumed Michael was done playing. MJ always had tickets for his teammates even during road games & even for player that weren't starters like Randy Brown.

Reaction Score
You really have to watch the entire episode and the series. But here is the back story. UCONN Alumni Scott Burrell was a teammate of MJ. MJ would ride Burrell unmercifully during practices. MJ said he just wanted Burrell to fight him back but he was "too nice a guy". One Day after a game Burrell brought two friends into the locker room to meet MJ. I believe Scott said the guys in the clip were former UCONN teammates. They mentioned that they drove all the way from CT for the Bulls game in Chicago. Anyway MJ sits with Burrell's friends and right away MJ starts talking trash while he signing autographs. MJ starts the digging by saying UCONN has a great Women's Team. The reason that was put in this episode is that the Director wanted to show that at practice MJ was an "balloon knot"-not my words Will Perdue said it. Once practice and games were over that same balloon knot would do anything for his teammates. In a previous episode, as you can imagine tickets were hard to come by because most people assumed Michael was done playing. MJ always had tickets for his teammates even during road games & even for player that weren't starters like Randy Brown.
I took it at a dig towards the UCONN men’s team/Burrell cause they hadn’t won a thing at the time and in fact had sort of fallen short a few times. Personally I didn’t read it as overly complimentary towards the women’s team at all and more just a back handed insult but maybe that was just me.

Reaction Score
He shouldn't be.

bunk-the-wire.gif

You know what, you’ve won me over, all these years I thought it was all about winning but now I realize that they only keep score so ESPN can do highlights and what really matters is debating what player was better regardless of era, rule changes, etc. Thanks for the enlightenment.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You know what, you’ve won me over, all these years I thought it was all about winning but now I realize that they only keep score so ESPN can do highlights and what really matters is debating what player was better regardless of era, rule changes, etc. Thanks for the enlightenment.
Glad to help.

Reaction Score
The last episodes are this coming Sunday. They repeat the earlier episodes immediately before. This is a great, great show and it really gives you tremendous insight into the will, the drive and the work ethic of an extraordinary athlete and basketball player. It is right up there with the best ever in terms of sports documentaries. Watching MJ cry while being filmed when talking about his own persona and the way he acted towards his teammates whom he purposely abused and even ridiculed to get the desired result was truly memorable. Don't miss it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bill Russell is easily the greatest at his position - by far.
Nah. There's a few who I'd take before him. I mean he was good, really good. Probably in the top 5 at his position.

Reaction Score
Nah. There's a few who I'd take before him. I mean he was good, really good. Probably in the top 5 at his position.

Really? Funny how Sports Illustrated put him on their all time first team. He was a 5x time League MVP, 11 world titles, cat quick, could block shots from anywhere. Had one focus in mind - winning- and he made everyone else that much better. Only Sam Jones could beat him down the court in a foot race- and Sam was one of the fastest men in the league. Many times I saw him leave his opponent flat footed at the other end of the court as they ripped off another fast break......after a Russell blocked shot. As great and intimidating as Wilt was, Russ is easily #1 of all time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Really? Funny how Sports Illustrated put him on their all time first team. He was a 5x time League MVP, 11 world titles, cat quick, could block shots from anywhere. Had one focus in mind - winning- and he made everyone else that much better. Only Sam Jones could beat him down the court in a foot race- and Sam was one of the fastest men in the league. Many times I saw him leave his opponent flat footed at the other end of the court as they ripped off another fast break......after a Russell blocked shot. As great and intimidating as Wilt was, Russ is easily #1 of all time.
Well you can have him then.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Did not know Eddie Gaedel played multiple sports. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
ESPN just came out with a new all time NBA player ranking with Russell #4:

1. Michael Jordan
2. LeBron James
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Bill Russell
5. Magic Johnson
6. Wilt Chamberlain
7. Larry Bird
8. Tim Duncan
9. Kobe Bryant
10. Shaquille O'Neal

I'd put West and Oscar ahead of Shaq in a heartbeat. I'm not sure I'd have Shaq in the top 20.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom