The Jamelle ONO Connection | The Boneyard

The Jamelle ONO Connection

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There is a thread here somewhere in which people surmise that ONO's accelerated growth is due in part at least to the addition of Jamelle to the staff. Well, surmise no longer. It's true. Hear it from ONO herself:

“She tries to bring that out of everybody, especially when we go through our post stuff,” Nelson-Ododa said of Elliott. “She is constantly on us about being tough in the lane and finishing well, rim running, getting to that post spot first and finishing.

“She’s a great coach. She brings lots of energy. She is very encouraging, and she really wants to work with us post players.”
And get them to work as hard as she once did.

“It’s all the little details, especially where we need to go on all of our plays,” Nelson-Ododa said. “She has worked with me on post moves and finishing through the contact. Just every day she is working with me in the post spot. I think that has really been helpful for us.

“I think I’m way more comfortable. That is something that I’m going to have to continue to build upon.”

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
I remember well JE rebounding and back up with a "yelp". She was "all in" when she was on the court, especially in the paint. I am so happy she is back on the bench. What she brings is invaluable. Was sad for us when she went to Cinn. but she deserved the position. She still deserves that position and should not have been treated as poorly as she was. She's a tough cookie on the court but has a soft heart. I believe the way she was dismissed will hurt her for a long time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There is a thread here somewhere in which people surmise that ONO's accelerated growth is due in part at least to the addition of Jamelle to the staff. Well, surmise no longer. It's true. Hear it from ONO herself:

“She tries to bring that out of everybody, especially when we go through our post stuff,” Nelson-Ododa said of Elliott. “She is constantly on us about being tough in the lane and finishing well, rim running, getting to that post spot first and finishing.

“She’s a great coach. She brings lots of energy. She is very encouraging, and she really wants to work with us post players.”
And get them to work as hard as she once did.

“It’s all the little details, especially where we need to go on all of our plays,” Nelson-Ododa said. “She has worked with me on post moves and finishing through the contact. Just every day she is working with me in the post spot. I think that has really been helpful for us.

“I think I’m way more comfortable. That is something that I’m going to have to continue to build upon.”

I knew it! I thought I recognized Jemelle’s fingerprints all over ONO. ;) Now if Jemelle can get Liv to stop fly swatting when attempting to block shots.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
One thing I wanted SNY to broadcast - the Cincy players/Jamelle reaction as they met in the post game "handshake" line. I was very interested...but...

Now back to the original Liv/Jamelle thread...

Carnac

Reaction Score
The first time I saw Jamelle give Liv a leaping chest bump, I knew something really good was happening.
Agreed. That was Liv’s first chest bump from a coach at UConn. I can just see her getting a running chest bump from Chris Dailey (in heels) as she comes off the floor. :confused:

Reaction Score
It's great if Jamelle and ONO connect and Jamelle is a great bigs coach. Good for ONO and good for UConn. But doesn't UConn already have a coach that works with the bigs - name of Chris Dailey? I hear she is pretty good!

Reaction Score
It's great if Jamelle and ONO connect and Jamelle is a great bigs coach. Good for ONO and good for UConn. But doesn't UConn already have a coach that works with the bigs - name of Chris Dailey? I hear she is pretty good!
Obviously Dailey’s track record speaks fore itself, but you heard it from ONO. Jamelle has been a big help. We lacked toughness and Jamelle brings that. I actually thought to myself the other day that I bet our recruiting changes slightly with Jamelle if she stays, as far as more tough minded players. I love all of our players but it seems we had a better mix of finesse and toughness back when.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Yes, but that does not keep Jemelle from working with her also. ;) Jamelle is there to help coach ALL of the players.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
From what I've always seen bigs are like babies compared to guards. 1's and 2's are given the ball and responsibility to lead the team, get everyone involved, pass well, shoot well, move without the ball, keep people happy, lead the team, all at a very young age. It forces them to mature earlier, and handle criticism better. Most bigs have to be coddled. Most of their BB life all they've really done is run up and down the court and dominate with their size or athleticism. Most bigs have to be pushed to learn their skills. Combine that with the fact that they develop slower than guards and their coordination has to catch up to their growth spurts, it's needless to say adding coaches, even those who preach the same message (but in a different way), is sometimes a good thing. Also having more coaches for bigs means more 1 on 1 work.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but I have a different take on all this...

But first, super thrilled that Jamelle is really helping out the post players and getting them to bring out a toughness that didn't previously exist.

However... why did Geno hire Jaz in the first place? We have always had a post assistant (not CD). When Marisa left, they opted to hire Jaz and have 2 assistants who were former guards. So while Jaz is young and hip and can maybe relate really well with the recruits/players, are we hearing now that the post coaching has been suffering at UCONN for the past 2 years? To me, given that we have always said our coaching staff is the best in the business, that is surprising, and even mildly disturbing.

IMHO that's a concern that needs to be addressed with the next assistant coach if Jamelle does not stay on. I love Jamelle and hope Geno can convince her to stay.

JordyG

Reaction Score

But first, super thrilled that Jamelle is really helping out the post players and getting them to bring out a toughness that didn't previously exist.

However... why did Geno hire Jaz in the first place? We have always had a post assistant (not CD). When Marisa left, they opted to hire Jaz and have 2 assistants who were former guards. So while Jaz is young and hip and can maybe relate really well with the recruits/players, are we hearing now that the post coaching has been suffering at UCONN for the past 2 years? To me, given that we have always said our coaching staff is the best in the business, that is surprising, and even mildly disturbing.

IMHO that's a concern that needs to be addressed with the next assistant coach if Jamelle does not stay on. I love Jamelle and hope Geno can convince her to stay.
I'd like both Jaz and Jamelle to stay on. Clearly both have different and beneficial effects, one at practice, the other during recruiting. Sounds like a winwin to me.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

However... why did Geno hire Jaz in the first place? ........ are we hearing now that the post coaching has been suffering at UCONN for the past 2 years? To me, given that we have always said our coaching staff is the best in the business, that is surprising, and even mildly disturbing.

Eric, I sure had a portion of your thoughts when Marissa left...firstly, the little we got to know Marissa, mostly through the meetings in Geno's office, she seemed insightful and really competent. Perhaps a really big loss, as I noted at the time.

But why did he hire Jaz (and why is she not with the team?) Perhaps we'll never know and I refuse to speculate on that...We give Geno credit for masterful decision making...I'll give him the benefit if the doubt on this one.

If one considers carefully, the onus falls more on CD, who was left (alone) with the responsibility for the bigs...
Somehow, I suspect that she would be better with finesse players than toughies, but that's my speculation.

Perhaps the responsibility for toughing up Ono, was a bridge too far.

Perhaps the whole Marissa/Jaz/Jamelle caper was a well-oiled plot to surprise woman's BB...just kidding. :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'd like both Jaz and Jamelle to stay on. Clearly both have different and beneficial effects, one at practice, the other during recruiting. Sounds like a winwin to me.
As I know it this can’t happen unless you want to get rid of Shea or CD. A team can only have 4 full time coaches and a grad assistant who can interact with the team as coaches. Other personnel are not allowed to conduct any type of coaching.
So, you have a “Sophies choice situation” but this only occurs if Jamelle wants to coach and Jasmine wants to come back.

Reaction Score
I think all the players respect her immensely. She is a fierce competitor as we all know and I think she has reenergized this team. Her embrace with CW after the Cincinnati game in the background tells you everything you need to know about her impact already.

Reaction Score
As I know it this can’t happen unless you want to get rid of Shea or CD. A team can only have 4 full time coaches and a grad assistant who can interact with the team as coaches. Other personnel are not allowed to conduct any type of coaching.
So, you have a “Sophies choice situation” but this only occurs if Jamelle wants to coach and Jasmine wants to come back.
Maybe Jamelle could enroll in grad school...

JordyG

Reaction Score
But Jamelle isn't a full time coach. She is actually a part time coach, her job position being something removed from coaching. I'm unsure of the rules, but can a team have 2 part time coaches instead?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom