The Jamelle ONO Connection | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Jamelle ONO Connection

Reaction Score
ONO needs to get stronger, she needs to find that mean streak, she needs to get mentally and physically tougher, and that is EXACTLY what Jamelle Elliott brings to this staff! I dare you to watch a UConn game and not hear Coach Elliott screaming her lungs out all game, offering positive reinforcement and motivation.

Reaction Score
I know Jamelle has said she wants to do college administration work so I'd like to see her stay on as a post consultant so it can be a win win for everyone.

Reaction Score
But Jamelle isn't a full time coach. She is actually a part time coach, her job position being something removed from coaching. I'm unsure of the rules, but can a team have 2 part time coaches instead?

No.

Reaction Score
Jamelle: Univ. of Cincinnati's silly loss, UCONN's major gain. :D
Probably was a bad match from the start. Jamelle always fully committed and working at 100%+. Other than Cin. hiring her, there is no evidence their Admin. had any focus on women's basketball.

Reaction Score
ONO needs to get stronger, she needs to find that mean streak, she needs to get mentally and physically tougher, and that is EXACTLY what Jamelle Elliott brings to this staff! I dare you to watch a UConn game and not hear Coach Elliott screaming her lungs out all game, offering positive reinforcement and motivation.
Until I see ONO utilizing a hands up method to block shots, I will reserve judgement - i.e. is Jamelle achieving results as a cheerleader or as a bigs coach. Either way she Jamelle is helping the team.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Many posts on this forum have mentioned that we do not seem to have swagger. Jemelle brought swagger and toughness to the Nth degree. Not only has Liv changed, the team has changed. The entire team rebounds with power now. They don't just grab the ball, snatch it violently, quickly clear, and look for an outlet. I see it in Meg, CW, and Crystal as well as Liv.

Reaction Score
One thing I wanted SNY to broadcast - the Cincy players/Jamelle reaction as they met in the post game "handshake" line. I was very interested...but...

Now back to the original Liv/Jamelle thread...
I often wondered who makes the calls on what to televise on these post-game handshakes. I think there’s some potentially interesting story lines which go virtually untended. To the point on the Jamelle an Cindy players she recruited, to the potential aftermath of Geno and Coach Abe from last year and some final handshakes with coaches we’ll likely never see again.

Reaction Score
Until I see ONO utilizing a hands up method to block shots, I will reserve judgement - i.e. is Jamelle achieving results as a cheerleader or as a bigs coach. Either way she Jamelle is helping the team.

Have you not been watching? Last game, ONO showed more back 2 the basket moves in that 1 game than she has all year! It is SO obvious that there is a real connection between JE and ONO!

Reaction Score
Jamelle left it all on the court. She also had a little "enforcer" in her. Ono is a completely different type of player. If I may, I would use the analogy of a boxer vs a puncher. Ono is the boxer. She looks for areas to move into for the best position. Jamelle created her position with her physicality. The one thing I remember about Jamelle coming into the game - the opposing team suddenly got much more "civil".

Reaction Score
There is a thread here somewhere in which people surmise that ONO's accelerated growth is due in part at least to the addition of Jamelle to the staff. Well, surmise no longer. It's true. Hear it from ONO herself:

“She tries to bring that out of everybody, especially when we go through our post stuff,” Nelson-Ododa said of Elliott. “She is constantly on us about being tough in the lane and finishing well, rim running, getting to that post spot first and finishing.

“She’s a great coach. She brings lots of energy. She is very encouraging, and she really wants to work with us post players.”
And get them to work as hard as she once did.

“It’s all the little details, especially where we need to go on all of our plays,” Nelson-Ododa said. “She has worked with me on post moves and finishing through the contact. Just every day she is working with me in the post spot. I think that has really been helpful for us.

“I think I’m way more comfortable. That is something that I’m going to have to continue to build upon.”

I may be missing something, but what does it say about the UConn coaching staff, if an outside coach can come in and turn ONO around in two week? what m i missing here? Pls tell me...

Reaction Score
I may be missing something, but what does it say about the UConn coaching staff, if an outside coach can come in and turn ONO around in two week? what m i missing here? Pls tell me...

Absolutely nothing that you are implying. Different strokes for different folks, players are people, not robots and one size does not fit all.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Absolutely nothing that you are implying. Different strokes for different folks, players are people, not robots and one size does not fit all.
That does not apply when it come to a coaching staff. Players need to adjust to the style of the particular coach at their position. That is why teams have position coaches.

Reaction Score
That does not apply when it come to a coaching staff. Players need to adjust to the style of the particular coach at their position. That is why teams have position coaches.

Frankly, I don’t understand the point in your comment. People make connections with each other for a myriad of reasons. Coaching is not an exact science and there is no “formula” for getting through to a player, it certainly does not happen because of a title, be it head coach or position coach. Neither does a player necessarily learn and improve by adjusting to a coach, I don’t even know what that means. Maybe you mean a player must be receptive to learning and that I agree with but that does not ensure the learning will take place.
People generally can learn from others via some kind of mutually respectful connection, be it intellectual, personal, what have you. Coaching, or any teaching or managing of others for that matter, is essentially a people skill and different people connect with each other for different, sometimes undefinable reasons. That was all I was trying to say. In this case, if Elliott has had the assumed impact on Ono‘s game in such a short time, I would assume they were able to make a connection together that just didn’t happen with the other coaches for whatever reason, but I am sure not from a lack of trying by all parties.

Reaction Score
Jamelle was hired to work with UConn's sports' team alums in, as I understand it, an outreach program designed to keep them involved with UConn.
As opposed to Chief, I didn't have unlimited time with her when I spoke with her last year, but I did ask if anyone works with our current team members to help them prepare for life after college sports and if we offer any programming in life skills for those who may not have had a lot of guidance in their lives. She indicated that was part of her job.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In Geno's own words, Jamelle is one of the most positive people he has ever met. Couple that with being one of the most intense, that is a pretty good combination to get kids to listen and buy in (if they have the ability within themselves of course). And if you see how she played in old video tapes, how could you not be inspired?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

You know how sometimes you tell your kids to do something (or not to do something...) hundreds of times, and they ignore you because, well, what do you know? Then, magically, they do it, but say, "Johnny's dad said if I..." If I was as mindful of my mother's advice as I was of the advice my friends' mothers were giving me, I would have become much less of a jerk a lot sooner.

When I was in the classroom (I'm a librarian now), I was amazed at the number of times a kid moved onto their junior year and then, in passing conversation, would tell me about something that their new teacher taught them that I showed them over and over and over...

Sometimes it just needs to come from a different voice -- after all, with as many years as Jamelle has spent with Geno and CD, I'm going to guess the message is the same.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, one of the coaches is also responsible for teaming free throw fundamentals. ONO's stats would show a 2+ point a game improvement if she can show improvement. Since Audrey has started holding the ball differently the past few games, her rotation is near perfect and her FT made % up dramatically. ONO shoots her FT's with a side action spin - not an accident that her results are poor.

Reaction Score

You're missing the essence of coaching! Some kids can ONLY be reached by certain people, Coach Auriemma and the staff are all master motivators, but they are not perfect either. This is what makes coaching SO rewarding, that spark you see when a kid really "gets it", and the game starts slowing down for them, it is a really special moment! I am really excited to watch the development of ONO over the next 2 years, I saw a baby hook over her left shoulder last game that will soon be unstoppable when she perfects it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You know how sometimes you tell your kids to do something (or not to do something...) hundreds of times, and they ignore you because, well, what do you know? Then, magically, they do it, but say, "Johnny's dad said if I..." If I was as mindful of my mother's advice as I was of the advice my friends' mothers were giving me, I would have become much less of a jerk a lot sooner.

When I was in the classroom (I'm a librarian now), I was amazed at the number of times a kid moved onto their junior year and then, in passing conversation, would tell me about something that their new teacher taught them that I showed them over and over and over...

Sometimes it just needs to come from a different voice -- after all, with as many years as Jamelle has spent with Geno and CD, I'm going to guess the message is the same.
Exactly. I think Geno even referred to this in one of the Geno Shows. Jamelle being a new, different voice. New different eyes too.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
You are so right. I was having trouble trying to understand trig functions. I never had a problem with any math up to that point. I was so frustrated that I went to the guidance counselor to try and get out of trig and have another study hall. Just so happened our GC was a math major and within an hour, I had "it". Stayed with trig and got a good grade. Different teachers (coaches) present differently and kids just get "it". Don't ask anyone what "it" is, because none of us know. :rolleyes::) That was only about 55 years ago.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You are so right. I was having trouble trying to understand trig functions. I never had a problem with any math up to that point. I was so frustrated that I went to the guidance counselor to try and get out of trig and have another study hall. Just so happened our GC was a math major and within an hour, I had "it". Stayed with trig and got a good grade. Different teachers (coaches) present differently and kids just get "it". Don't ask anyone what "it" is, because none of us know. :rolleyes::) That was only about 55 years ago.

SOHCOHTOA ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom