The Issue with Brimah | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Issue with Brimah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's a bit of a contradiction going on here.

On the one hand, some people are arguing Brimah wasn't highly regarded, so we shouldn't expect too much of him. On the other hand, we are in fact relying on him to be our starting center! If he wasn't or isn't that good, we should have recruited over him. But making such an argument is a third rail around here.

You can't have your cake and eat it too on this issue.

Reaction Score
Nobody is asking Brimah to be the franchise. He's a number 5 worry to an opposing defense any time he is out on the court? All he needs to do is CATCH the flippin ball and dunk it 5 or 6 times a game, alter a few shots on defense and generally play well against players not in a Maine or Elon uniform.
Wtf do you keep mentioning Elon, they haven't even played Elon, go skip your ass back to the football board. First time anyone sees you is after a loss, go take your hysterics that away --->.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I still don't quite understand why a recruit that had a 240 rsci ranking gets held to the standard of players that were much more highly regarded than him. Everyone wants him to be Okafor and Thabeet, newsflash, those 2 dudes were much more coveted coming out of HS. Hell, Phil Nolan was more coveted, I don't see every game serving as a referendum on him as a player like Brimah. Why can't we let the dude just develop and give him the same kind of leash that Hilton got? Unlike Hilton, Brimah doesn't have a Okafor, Boone, and CV to go against day in and day out, and also play behind to mask his flaws before being fully ready to play heavy minutes until his senior year. You had a dude in this game who is 4 years removed from HS as a top 20 recruit, McDonalds All American who missed free throw after free throw and committed mistake after mistake, but he had a good 5 minutes so all is forgiven, so let's lay it all at the feet of the guy ranked 240.

OK - AB wasn't as highly coveted as some others BUT he has played enough bball to understand the basics of rebounding, boxing out and should have hands far more sure than what he shows now.
Yeah the guy blocks some shots and will have some dunks off of cream passes from DHam.
But, as a starter on a top flight college MBB team - he needs to bring a lot more to the table.
He seems to save his worse for battles against the better teams - that needs to stop.
Hilton?, Hilton didn't have the physical attributes but rebounded, converted and played a much smarter brand of defense - he also exhibited these attributes his first few years.
AB may not be a top recruited player but he is a starter and needs to work harder on the simple steps that make a 5 a good 5 and shot blocking is only a small part
I really want the kid to shine but I haven't seen the improvement in the basics

Reaction Score
There's a bit of a contradiction going on here.

On the one hand, some people are arguing Brimah wasn't highly regarded, so we shouldn't expect too much of him. On the other hand, we are in fact relying on him to be our starting center! If he wasn't or isn't that good, we should have recruited over him. But making such an argument is a third rail around here.

You can't have your cake and eat it too on this issue.
I myself am fine with Brimah as a starting C because I don't ask too much of college Cs to begin with. My issue is with the more higher ranked players with the more proven basketball pedigree doing the same mistakes over and over again that have been the reason for games being lost since last season. Maybe I am in the minority for expecting more out of certain players, but that's how I move.

Reaction Score
OK - AB wasn't as highly coveted as some others BUT he has played enough bball to understand the basics of rebounding, boxing out and should have hands far more sure than what he shows now.
Yeah the guy blocks some shots and will have some dunks off of cream passes from DHam.
But, as a starter on a top flight college MBB team - he needs to bring a lot more to the table.
He seems to save his worse for battles against the better teams - that needs to stop.
Hilton?, Hilton didn't have the physical attributes but rebounded, converted and played a much smarter brand of defense - he also exhibited these attributes his first few years.
AB may not be a top recruited player but he is a starter and needs to work harder on the simple steps that make a 5 a good 5 and shot blocking is only a small part
I really want the kid to shine but I haven't seen the improvement in the basics
You're revising history on Hilton so it's really not worth getting into it any further.

Reaction Score
I myself am fine with Brimah as a starting C because I don't ask too much of college Cs to begin with. My issue is with the more higher ranked players with the more proven basketball pedigree doing the same mistakes over and over again that have been the reason for games being lost since last season. Maybe I am in the minority for expecting more out of certain players, but that's how I move.

I'm good with how you move ace I really am and I respect your position on him, get it to. But everyone who seems to want more from a starting C at the University of Connecticut after 2 plus years also have excellent points. To be the same guy hurts this team immensely in the middle like it or not. Minutes aren't going down because he's playing well that's for sure. He should be averaging 27-31 minutes. Every other teams bigs seem to come back better players. I've seen a lot of games and he's not a top 20-25 center I promise that, the 6'7" kid from Nova is now tons better than him.

Reaction Score
I'm good with how you move ace I really am and I respect your position on him, get it to. But everyone who seems to want more from a starting C at the University of Connecticut after 2 plus years also have excellent points. To be the same guy hurts this team immensely in the middle like it or not. Minutes aren't going down because he's playing well that's for sure. He should be averaging 27-31 minutes. Every other teams bigs seem to come back better players. I've seen a lot of games and he's not a top 20-25 center I promise that, the 6'7" kid from Nova is now tons better than him.
Daniel Ochefu was a top 50 player, I get that misevaluations happen because we've certainly seen out fair share on both ends of the spectrum (Brimah was certainly better than 240th) but he should be better than Brimah. He's also a senior, but I get that those type of things, rankings, age/class, get thrown out the window when objectively evaluating Brimah.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
For the last time, we do not need Brimah to score even 10 points a game. Anything he does offensively is a +. The fact we went to him over and over today was indicative that nothing else was working.

Reaction Score
Daniel Ochefu was a top 50 player, I get that misevaluations happen because we've certainly seen out fair share on both ends of the spectrum (Brimah was certainly better than 240th) but he should be better than Brimah. He's also a senior, but I get that those type of things, rankings, age/class, get thrown out the window when objectively evaluating Brimah.

BS they get thrown out the window. He was not at all a good player and seemed to be ranked way too high when he began his career. He's gotten better with less athleticism and being much smaller than Brimah. The woe is me "top 240" crap is now pitiful. Get better, learn the game you're playing at UCONN not Maine. We should expect more and will because we win NC's. Right now we have a good enough team to compete but the defensive donut in the middle is glaring like it or not.

Reaction Score
For the last time, we do not need Brimah to score even 10 points a game. Anything he does offensively is a +. The fact we went to him over and over today was indicative that nothing else was working.

You're right and I'm pretty sure no one is saying we need him to do that. But to be able to guard someone and catch the ball we do need. He did neither. And of this 10 pts he gave up more, I promise. Quit the pampering people we need more from him period!

Reaction Score
BS they get thrown out the window. He was not at all a good player and seemed to be ranked way too high when he began his career. He's gotten better with less athleticism and being much smaller than Brimah. The woe is me "top 240" crap is now pitiful. Get better, learn the game you're playing at UCONN not Maine. We should expect more and will because we win NC's. Right now we have a good enough team to compete but the defensive donut in the middle is glaring like it or not.
Ochefu is 6'11" and has been productive since day 1, who and what are you talking about? I also notice defensive defencies with a PF who came in with a highly regarded defensive rep getting lit up by inside/out 4s, and out guards doing a poor job of closing out on shooters and locating them in transition, but yes that is all Brimah's fault. Why did I bother?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Daniel-Ochefu-6272/stats/

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Brimah is NOT why we lost this game. My guess is we did better when he was in than the 21 minutes he was out. And he was pretty screwed by the refs.
Beginning of the second half when he missed 3 dunks in a row hurt. But so did the rest of the teams crappy free throw shooting. Or the "windshield wiper" offense our guard continued with until we lost our lead. Those 2 factors and the refs were why we lost. Brimah was fine.

But if Brimah is too one-dimensional for you and you want to replace him with Facey, I think it is funny. Love em both and hope they can both grow as juniors. But Facey might be more one dimensional than Brimah. .Center is our weakest position but he is our best center

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
You're right and I'm pretty sure no one is saying we need him to do that. But to be able to guard someone and catch the ball we do need. He did neither. And of this 10 pts he gave up more, I promise. Quit the pampering people we need more from him period!
I agree Mau. I agree he definitely needs to catch those passes and finish at the rim better. But more importantly he needs to be an anchor defensively and rebound the basketball. Cuse got a lot of second chances and hammered us on the boards today. He keeps making the same mistakes on defense and resorts to fouling.

Reaction Score

What are you talking about? The offense was fine, the defense getting shredded is where we lost the game.

Brimah is one of the last players I would have pointed to after a game like this. Hell, Syracuse shot 39 free throws. We had six players record four fouls today. Guys fouling drivers is a lot more damaging than anything Brimah's doing.

Reaction Score
Ochefu is 6'11" and has been productive since day 1, who and what are you talking about?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Daniel-Ochefu-6272/stats/

Was he ok as a freshman? Nothing to write home about, certainly not Top 50 which is what you harp on. And coming off the first year Amida played did you really think by now there would be 25 better centers than him or more? I mean let's lose the Top 240 stuff he has shown ability to be more than that and you know that. Expectations from others were he's be a #1 this year, is he staying etc etc and you're on me?

Throw away your 240 ranking and DO from Nova, if you don't expect more from him at this point that's fine. But then don't worry about what others do expect from a UConn center and b**ch about it okay? Maybe the NIT again will make you happy too.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? The offense was fine, the defense getting shredded is where we lost the game.

Brimah is one of the last players I would have pointed to after a game like this. Hell, Syracuse shot 39 free throws. We had six players record four fouls today. Guys fouling drivers is a lot more damaging than anything Brimah's doing.
I thought the offense was stagnant at times. Lots of passing on the perimeter and out of control drives. If Hamilton didn't get his share today on the boards, we lose by 10+.

The defense sucked too yes that was obvious. They were lost in transition 99% of the time and could not find the trailer.

Reaction Score
Was he ok as a freshman? Nothing to write home about, certainly not Top 50 which is what you harp on. And coming off the first year Amida played did you really think by now there would be 25 better centers than him or more? I mean let's lose the Top 240 stuff he has shown ability to be more than that and you know that. Expectations from others were he's be a #1 this year, is he staying etc etc and you're on me?

Throw away your 240 ranking and DO from Nova, if you don't expect more from him at this point that's fine. But then don't worry about what others do expect from a UConn center and b**ch about it okay? Maybe the NIT again will make you happy too.
Pretty sure I acknowledged that Brimah has outperformed his 240 ranking but I can understand with you getting so worked up it affected your reading ability. Gotta put you on the ignore list at this point, this same argument has been going on since last season and I'm not the one initiating it, can't do it anymore, won't do it anymore.

Reaction Score
I still don't quite understand why a recruit that had a 240 rsci ranking gets held to the standard of players that were much more highly regarded than him.
Scrappy effect.

Everyone who talks on Brimah and on Scrappy at the same time need to find a way to throat punch themselves

Reaction Score
Pretty sure I acknowledged that Brimah has outperformed his 240 ranking but I can understand with you getting so worked up it affected your reading ability. Gotta put you on the ignore list at this point, this same argument has been going on since last season and I'm not the one initiating it, can't do it anymore, won't do it anymore.

Your call ace ignore away. I respect you so again, do what you have to I will sleep fine pal. Also same argument with you in case you haven't figured it out.

Reaction Score
I thought the offense was stagnant at times. Lots of passing on the perimeter and out of control drives. If Hamilton didn't get his share today on the boards, we lose by 10+.

The defense sucked too yes that was obvious. They were lost in transition 99% of the time and could not find the trailer.

No doubt the offense was stagnant at times, but be honest, do either of our recent championship teams lose the game with that level of offensive output? I say no.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Amida is definitely a ten-toes-in guy. He is a skilled shot-blocker and has a lot of value as an intimidator inside.
He has improved in these areas but struggles in maintaining his balance when bumped and seems to lack the hand strength to snatch contested rebounds and finish against resistance.
From what I saw, Kentan also struggles in snatching the ball when contested to a similarly disturbing degree. He does have much better balance than AB but is also not nearly as intimidating.
He needs to learn his limitations and not put himself into bad situations.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
No doubt the offense was stagnant at times, but be honest, do either of our recent championship teams lose the game with that level of offensive output? I say no.
Recent championship teams don't lose that game because of Kemba and Shabazz.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you're referring to?

You didn't answer my question. Do we or do we not win that game with championship caliber defense? Kemba and Shabazz were phenomenal offensive players but they were also incredibly destructive defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom