The In-Game Fan Reaction Here Was Very Disappointing...... | The Boneyard

The In-Game Fan Reaction Here Was Very Disappointing......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Both during and after the USF game, the criticism and negativity directed at the team and at individuals seemed more like that of fans in panic mode. And why all the pretty harsh criticism? Because of the uncharacteristically sloppy play, early on in a very emotional Senior Day? Or the terrible shooting over the first 15 minutes of the USF game? All the negativity because the play over 30 minutes of two games was not UConn perfect?? That's just ridiculous.

We UConn fans are truly spoiled. These are not 30 year-old professional WNBA athletes. They are 19, 20, 21 year old kids who will not be perfect and who will not be on top of their game every single minute of every night- although unfairly, we seem to expect and almost demand it. And when we don't get it, we point fingers in every direction, at every KID. Sure, we'd like to be peaking and playing great every minute heading into the tournaments. But there's no reason to 'panic.' Our kids are great, and they will show it over the course of 40 minutes, but they are not perfect.

Though fans might want every game against highly ranked opponents to be blowouts, that will not always happen.
We beat ranked OSU by 45, FSU by 24, and SC by 12 (could have easily been 20 if Geno had not slowed the 4th quarter down to a walk). Those results are great, but
sometimes we beat top ten teams in closer scoring affairs, winning against ND and Maryland by "only" 10 points. The margin of victory means little; winning means everything.

Some on last night's game thread were worried that we would not win by double-digits. Who cares? Some wrote off the team after 8 minutes, saying 'oh well, you can't win 'em all' or 'the streak has to end sometimes.' What a premature load-of-crap way of thinking. There was a ton of game to play, and a lot of time to turn things around- which great teams like this are able to do.

Some referenced last night's lousy first quarter and the crummy start on Senior day as a trend, as if Stewie and Moriah are not allowed to have even 10 or 15 minutes of crappy play in two consecutive games. Yeesh! Well, they are allowed to, they did, but when it mattered most, not the start of the game but the finish, they (and Morgan, Kia and Gabby) played like the champions they are.

Geno talks about the importance of the players trusting one another- well, we have to show more trust in our team. They have certainly earned it.

RELAX FOLKS . (or else check if Eric has "some" left.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Somebody sitting next to me in the stands was swearing at the UConn players in the first half; it was totally disgusting. Fortunately, somebody right in front of him turned around and told him to shut up. The great majority of fans are respectful, but a vocal minority have this sense of entitlement that is really sickening. It reminds me of the Yankee fans who booed MO early one season when he blew two saves in a row. I suppose it is inevitable in a state with no professional franchise, where an amateur sports team becomes the focal point of "fanatical" behavior; that doesn't mean it is appropriate in any way, shape or form.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There certainly were some fans who were negative. Not many but a few. It made me worry a tiny bit for next year - when the team will surely struggle more and <gasp> even lose a few games. And if you listen to Geno's post game presser, he gave lots of credit to USF for the way the packed it in and made us take jump shots. He made a few tweaks, and you could see what the 3rd quarter looked like.

I think the reaction would have been a tad different if USF was a top 10 team, but they've had a few WTF losses and haven't been able to really crack the top 15. I hope they make a deep run - sweet 16 seems about right for them, I think against UCONN they always show up as world beaters. Against "lesser" teams, USF seems to sometimes play to the level of the competition...

Reaction Score
Both during and after the USF game, the criticism and negativity directed at the team and at individuals seemed more like that of fans in panic mode. And why all the pretty harsh criticism? Because of the uncharacteristically sloppy play, early on in a very emotional Senior Day? Or the terrible shooting over the first 15 minutes of the USF game? All the negativity because the play over 30 minutes of two games was not UConn perfect?? That's just ridiculous.

We UConn fans are truly spoiled. These are not 30 year-old professional WNBA athletes. They are 19, 20, 21 year old kids who will not be perfect and who will not be on top of their game every single minute of every night- although unfairly, we seem to expect and almost demand it. And when we don't get it, we point fingers in every direction, at every KID. Sure, we'd like to be peaking and playing great every minute heading into the tournaments. But there's no reason to 'panic.' Our kids are great, and they will show it over the course of 40 minutes, but they are not perfect.

Though fans might want every game against highly ranked opponents to be blowouts, that will not always happen.
We beat ranked OSU by 45, FSU by 24, and SC by 12 (could have easily been 20 if Geno had not slowed the 4th quarter down to a walk). Those results are great, but
sometimes we beat top ten teams in closer scoring affairs, winning against ND and Maryland by "only" 10 points. The margin of victory means little; winning means everything.

Some on last night's game thread were worried that we would not win by double-digits. Who cares? Some wrote off the team after 8 minutes, saying 'oh well, you can't win 'em all' or 'the streak has to end sometimes.' What a premature load-of-crap way of thinking. There was a ton of game to play, and a lot of time to turn things around- which great teams like this are able to do.

Some referenced last night's lousy first quarter and the crummy start on Senior day as a trend, as if Stewie and Moriah are not allowed to have even 10 or 15 minutes of crappy play in two consecutive games. Yeesh! Well, they are allowed to, they did, but when it mattered most, not the start of the game but the finish, they (and Morgan, Kia and Gabby) played like the champions they are.

Geno talks about the importance of the players trusting one another- well, we have to show more trust in our team. They have certainly earned it.

RELAX FOLKS . (or else check if Eric has "some" left.)
Thank you, my exact feelings.

Reaction Score
There certainly were SOME fans who were negative. NOT MANY but A FEW. It made me worry a tiny bit for next year - when the team will surely struggle more and <gasp> even lose a few games. And if you listen to Geno's post game presser, he gave lots of credit to USF for the way the packed it in and made us take jump shots. He made a few tweaks, and you could see what the 3rd quarter looked like.

I think the reaction would have been a tad different if USF was a top 10 team, but they've had a few what losses and haven't been able to really crack the top 15. I hope they make a deep run - sweet 16 seems about right for them, I think against UCONN they always show up as world beaters. Against "lesser" teams, USF seems to sometimes play to the level of the competition...

Perhaps not many, Eric, but after all the magnificent games and championships this exceptional group of young ladies has blessed us with over the past almost 4 years, they should never be dumped on for a few lousy quarters of play. Never. By now, they have surely earned and deserve our trust.

I was saddened and surprised by all the negativity from fans who I thought would know better. Perhaps the criticism wasn't rampant, but it was definitely uncomfortable seeing so much of it on THE FAN page. That's all.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
One reason won last nite was they didn't have the give up attitude that some fans have. They grinded it out knowing that as some point their game would come back to them and they would win. Nice win too by 20 pts. Both opponents played really good in the first half then UConn did what they do and won by a lot. Winners win and losers lose and sometimes its because they give up before the buzzer has sounded. You cant change people that's just the way they are.

Those of you who have been on this board since 1995 have heard some of my predictions and all the garbage Ive taken without in most instances me responding. Sometimes on right on and sometimes Im off a bid but I never give up. So for next season I will predict right now that UConn if healthy wins another NC.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I don't get it. I was at the Houston game on Sunday & considering the melt down that happened in the 2nd half, I heard NO negativity directed at the players. Is it that the women's fans are spoiled (rotten) or the men's fans are more tolerant? Have lower expectations? None of it makes sense to me!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The negativity by some (a few) on here has driven off some old posters who used to make this place more enjoyable.

Right on!!!!!! I had the exact same thought as I was reading the first post. Its a shame.

Reaction Score
While I was disappointed watching the huskies miss so many layups in the first half, there was no instance during the game where a loss entered my mind. It was obvious they were playing too fast. Halftime adjustments were made. Let's not forget that this team has beaten evry team in it's path. It has been an emotional week for them, and now they can see post season in front of them. I am disappointed that we seem to be down to a 7 player rotation, but again this is typical for Geno heading into the post season.

Reaction Score
There was one upside to the comments that I liked. The fans that were bashing Kia slithered back under their rock after the first half. I hope we don't have to hear from them during the tournaments, it is really getting tiresome.

Reaction Score
I wonder if some people become so reliant on UConn's mega-success, routing every opponent, that their mood becomes uncomfortably dark and low if the team looks even human, if another also-impressive team gives them a contest. Then, feeling so disappointed, resentment and criticism follow. Better for them (and the team) to use those moments to remind ourselves how much beautiful basketball and teamwork we have to be grateful for.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice post HR - expresses what a lot of the 'fanatics' on this board have been feeling for most of the year.
My impression on the board is that we have some new (at least to me) posters who have brought a style of posting more normal to most other sports forums here to the Boneyard which has always maintained almost a 'genteel' character with the help of strong moderators. We criticize players and teams, but try to make it constructive criticism and not simple condemnation. We dislike some coaching actions because they seem harsher than necessary, but we do not lose sight of the fact that this is a very good coaching staff that almost always gets it right. And we recognize that some things are not under anyones control - the coaches didn't 'blow it' in recruiting a big, the bigs they wanted 'chose other viable options' for their own reasons; players struggle, they don't suck, etc.

The difference with the current posters is that they aren't actually crossing any lines in the sand as other banished posters have, but they are wearing on peoples patience, and making it a less enjoyable experience.

And I will also mention another issue - in general Uconn fans are really scared of being 'stuck in the dreadful AAC' and have the impression that no team in the AAC should dare to make baskets or play defense against Uconn. In the old BE we expected to struggle occasionally and it made for 'excitement', in the new AAC it is 'shocking'. But the AAC is not that bad - there are at least four teams and maybe more that rise to the competitive stature of St. Johns on that infamous senior day, but fans don't believe that. So any struggle is a disaster. And that anxiety comes out in bad temper.

I don't generally attend many games, but as a rule any crowd that gathers for anything contains 5-10% idiots and worse. ( at least they weren't silent, which is the other complaint about Uconn game attendees! :eek:)

Reaction Score
I don't get it. I was at the Houston game on Sunday & considering the melt down that happened in the 2nd half, I heard NO negativity directed at the players. Is it that the women's fans are spoiled (rotten) or the men's fans are more tolerant? Have lower expectations? None of it makes sense to me!
I'd say spoiled would be the least of their problems. People, fans, especially rabid, die-hards are a different breed. I saw someone mention '95 - guess I've been a UConn follower for at least that long, and have noticed over the years this issue comes up again and again. I tried following message boards a few times but never lasted long for lack of patience with people who for some reason feel like they've earned a kind of ownership by virtue of no more investment than watching a team play. I'd remind them that win or lose it's still only a game and the real winners were the kids getting a good education they might otherwise have been unable to afford while participating in an activity they enjoyed. This never goes over well and the 'fans' morph into a mob in a blink and I move on. Take a stroll through the boards that supposedly live and breathe all things Lady Vols basketball. It's hard not to see passages from Lord of the Flies playing out by chapter and verse in post after post. You think that's just a flaw to be found in people who love the color orange but it's not.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Last nite USF had only 7 turnovers. Williams played fantastic and made every off balance shot and fade away and we beat them on an off nite by 20. Come on guys. For me its always be positive. I keep hearing "IF" this and "IF" that well that was last nite and we still won by 20 pts. Heck we played a really good team that always plays great against us and we beat them on an off nite by 20. How can you knock it. Now we have a few days off til we play on Saturday to heal and work on our stuff. We're gonna be fine. After last nite Im thinking what can it take to beat UConn? They gave it their all. Only 7 turnovers, Williams had a terrific game and UConn didn't and we won by 20. Think about it. We played bad and won by 20 against a top team. How can you be concerned with almost a week off before the AAC tourney and then a more time off before the first round of the NCAAs at Storrs then more time off and in Bridgeport.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
In a state with no professional franchise?
upload_2016-3-1_14-12-47.png

Reaction Score
There was one upside to the comments that I liked. The fans that were bashing Kia slithered back under their rock after the first half. I hope we don't have to hear from them during the tournaments, it is really getting tiresome.

I second that emotion! Seems like it's been a bunch of relatively new posters to this board, too.

Reaction Score
I think some fans, if they're not up by 40 within the first 10 minutes, freak out. I will admit that I did not enjoy seeing so many missed layups (my dogs thought I was talking to them..) but for me the game was never in doubt.

Now, if it was the 4th quarter and USF was still making a game of it, then it gets interesting. But I always have faith that we'll pull it out in the end.

Reaction Score
I've never watched or attended a sporting event for the fans (well maybe one Patriots game with Steve Grogan. Something about beer waterfalls, showers or something.)

Reaction Score
I will keep it short. After the first FSU game I said, I want to see the next one. I purchased my tickets expecting to see one hell-of-a game and got that and more. Both teams gave everything they had to each other and once our girls figured out the USF defense alignment they got a window to make the shots they needed. I cant wait to the match up in the AAC final, look at it as a tune up game for the NC.:) I just don't understand, how Geno allowed the towels, in my eyes it was bad karma towels are silent clapping isn't and when I swung the towel my rotator cup reminded me it needed to be repaired:( Second best game all year in my eyes.

Reaction Score
I, for one, enjoyed the game last night. It showed a great USF team, a team I think will one day down the road beat us. These are the kind of games that help push UCONN after endless blowouts. It saddens me that fans would give up on them after a not so great half.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
"We always hurt the ones we love..."

OK, so maybe you're not into 1950's ballads. But it is perhaps true that the more we care about something, the more it can become a frustration to us when things go against us. And in our frustration, we tend to think and type without due regard for others. Coach Herman Edwards would say, "Don't press send..."

The problem is the guy who thinks that the way he can show maximum love is by using exaggerated wording and imagery. He's a pain in the neck, but he's not a show stopper.

Just play on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01