"The Grind Does Not Stop" Pheesa and Megan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"The Grind Does Not Stop" Pheesa and Megan

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
so you're saying a coach is never responsible for how well his players play or for their development as players?
Obviously, that’s not what I’m saying. What I have said is that Geno, CD and the UConn staff are just about the best coaching staff on the planet when it comes to motivating and developing players. Unlike you, I would never presume to suggest that I knew better than they did, particularly when I had not attended a single practice or training session.

Reaction Score
Obviously, that’s not what I’m saying. What I have said is that Geno, CD and the UConn staff are just about the best coaching staff on the planet when it comes to motivating and developing players. Unlike you, I would never presume to suggest that I knew better than they did, particularly when I had not attended a single practice or training session.

the proof is in the pudding........they recruited them, they trained them.........Geno branded them major disappointments............whose is to blame?

Reaction Score
Stop with the over the top bashing because people are actually reading what you write and some are uninformed enough to believe it. Geno DID NOT brand the Freshmen this way!

so let me get this straight............Geno did not constantly criticize the disappointing play of his bench during the season? The culmination of his disdain came in the famous fans deserve their money back speech against Tulsa.........here it is in case you forgot.........and by the way it didn't end after that game........... it went on and on as the season progressed.........

Geno Auriemma: Fans Deserve Money Back After 'Disgraceful Effort' Vs. Tulsa

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
the proof is in the pudding...they recruited them, they trained them....Geno branded them major disappointments..whose is to blame?
You want to beat that dead horse, have at it. MW is working hard. Assuming Mikayla has been cleared to go, I have no doubt that she along with Gordon are also working hard. I don’t know why you and others continue to insist upon laying blame on someone, when no one is deserving of blame.

Reaction Score
You want to beat that dead horse, have at it. MW is working hard. Assuming Mikayla has been cleared to go, I have no doubt that she along with Gordon are also working hard. I don’t know why you and others continue to insist upon laying blame on someone, when no one is deserving of blame.

better I beat a dead horse then a living one.............;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I love that Megan is working out with Pheesa. It's good on so many levels -- just the work she's getting in, Pheesa being a Mentor to Megan, they're likely buds, so good for team chemistry, and Megan is demonstrating to the coaching staff and teammates that she's really serious. It will make her a better player, but also a better teammate. There were times last year when she appeared detached on the bench during games.

Reaction Score
I guess I'd like to look at this from a slightly different perspective.
I'm really pleased to see NC seemingly be taking MW under her wonderful wings. Kudos to MW for seemingly working hard to prepare herself for next season. While those two things are promising they sure don't ensure much of anything. It's done in practice over many months and then the results come on the court. One doesn't need to be overly positive or overly negative, just watch and see how it plays out. It seems to me MW is headed in the right direction but giving her way more than that, continues to drive me a bit nuttier than I already am.
I don't think Geno did anything wrong as to his use of last years freshman or his criticism of them. That's Geno and part of the structure CD and he insist upon in order to play more and be trusted. I also don't think it will affect recruiting much if at all. We will never know what led to the SB situation and decision but more likely than not it appears Geno and U Conn backed off. While I don't watch much if at all HS ball from just looking at stats (which hardly tell the whole story) SB doesn't seem to be a star player. Whether it effects either Bueckers or Fudd decisions it is a ways off.
Geno from my perspective again is maybe the greatest coach in team sports history but he can be questioned and criticized. I think he made a few mistakes during the game strategically. KLS became not only tentative defensively because of the four fouls, she also was offensively. He was so used to almost always having her on the court when it mattered he left her in. Also now in retrospect her injury may have effected her play in that game and much of the last third of the season than I and maybe other though. His sitting AZ to start the 3rd quarter and then for 6-7 minutes was totally wrong. His at least publicly stating he never thought about it, shows his lack of flexibility and adjustments way more than his use of freshman. While we also will never know fully what led to AZ's decision to leave, it surely wouldn't surprise me, if her sitting when she turned the game around pushed her at least a bit or much more to deciding to go pro. (Of course at least some of you will give what I think is an absurd argument, what does he or anyone who hasn't one multiple championships know and how arrogant to dare question or criticize the GOAT.)
I think this years team will do pretty well but reaching and winning a national championship will take one of their best coaching jobs. It's not impossible but to me, not likely. I actually think if one or two or the returning players or the freshman step up and become meaningful contributors that will be good. I think it's most likely be amongst MW, CW or Ono (yes two freshman). It needs to be accompanied by some improvement and increased playing time from support players whether it be Batouly, Irwin, Coomb. I don't see there being much contributed by Molly or Lexi (although she might surprise a bit).
I think their offense will be very good and think they will average over 80-85 pints. I expect their defense will be a pressured style. Obviously it will be very difficult to replace two great defensive players in Gabby and Kia, but team defense might make up for part of the loss.
I believe they will get 2-3 top ten recruits in each of the next two recruiting classes. Replacing five AÀ in two years will be tough and lead to some bumps in the road.
I think their being the chaser rather than the chasee, and not being expected to win, will actually create less pressure and maybe make this being more enjoyable for all.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
No Geno did not.

great.......so you pick one of the few games he had something good to say about the bench .............if you can't even admit that he was down on the freshmen class from beginning to end of the season then you my friend are living in an alternative universe.................

Reaction Score
Thank you one and all. I have SO missed the jovial back and forth banter that this post has inspired. Without question the BY will be must reading at the start of next season. No reply necessary.

Reaction Score

believe me, you're going to run out of positive quotes about the bench a hell of a lot quicker then I'll run out of negative ones...........:rolleyes:

Everyone In, Except …
Freshman guards Megan Walker and Mikayla Coombs were the only players who did not enter the game.

“Yeah, I'm not even going to waste my time talking about them,” Auriemma said.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Meg picked a good person to hang out with and emulate. Milford, you just posted the "thought of the day"!!! There's an old saying: "Who you run with says who you are". ;)
I believe that Chris Dailey was the one who thought of it, but in 2009-10, Tina Charles roomed with Maya Moore. Tina got to see Maya's discipline and work habits every moment of every day. This was after Tina had been the best player in the national championship game of the prior year, so Tina was clearly headed in the right direction. What did Tina learn from Maya? She learned how to be the AP Player of the Year, as she surpassed her younger teammate, the prior season's winner, in the voting.

Though UConn players have always played hard, I think Maya brought the effort and consistency to a new level. She passed the work ethic to Kelly Faris, who passed it to Moriah. Mo then passed it to Gabby. Megan got to see Gabby in person every day last year, so she knows what is possible. I think Meg is on the right track.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
msf 22b: So much to "like" about your look at Geno and his critics:

I think the "how many national championships argument" is a variation of the fallacy of (authority?) perhaps an expert can help me here.
like when old movie actor tells you to purchase a reverse mortgage.
That argument at the very least is a discussion ender and should be banned from the board...

That argument commits a couple fallacies: 1.) it is a non sequitur; 2.) an appeal to authority or prestige. That is, Geno's high rate of success does not confer infallibility on all issues of coaching.

Geno is a genius, has been the most remarkable of coaches with a record to prove it. but he is not infallible . . . .

True. While coaching may not be the most difficult task in the world to execute, it is full of minute-to-minute complexity. See next point.

At the very least, for initiates, it is very difficult to understand both the system and the effort required to perform in it. May very well go against everything they had been previously taught.

Trying to find just the right approach and manage mind games with 18-21 year-old athletes in stressful and demanding conditions is an impossible task. Geno makes it work far better than most coaches.

Both Notre Dame and Miss. State won, when a player or two who could one-on-one (like men's pro BB), manufacture their own shots; did just that.
Such individual style of play is not often found or (seemingly) encouraged here.
Sure, Dee, Maya were that sort. But it's not really the style of play that seems to be cherished... and for me is what I find so attractive about the team.

Even Maya had problems seeing outside her own box, developing her sense of the game to accommodate the complexities of a Geno offense. Remember his comic take on her ignorance about when and where to cut? And early on in her UConn career, the offense stalled when her teammates passively watched her go— successfully most of the time— one on one. Yes, it would help to have someone like her available for the "create your own shot" moments. Perhaps the Christyn Williams will bring that capability next year, but within the Geno team offensive scheme.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
believe me, you're going to run out of positive quotes about the bench a hell of a lot quicker then I'll run out of negative ones......:rolleyes:

Everyone In, Except …
Freshman guards Megan Walker and Mikayla Coombs were the only players who did not enter the game.

“Yeah, I'm not even going to waste my time talking about them,” Auriemma said.
Geno Auriemma on Bench Players

Reaction Score
Caroline Ducharme is putting in off season work also. I'm gonna rank Uconn at #2 behind ND for MY Preseason rankings.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Speaking of Kelly Faris, the Sparks waived her and Brooke McCarty today.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yes we could. But it’s one thing to suggest, for instance, that Z would start over Crystal, as I once did, which is nothing more than harmless speculation. It’s quite another thing to speculate that MW was unhappy and might consider transferring, which a number of BY posters suggested at several points throughout the season.

The speculation surrounding MW’s state of mind was unnecessary and unfair to a young lady who is a tremendous competitor, and was always more likely to buckle down and work incredibly hard to become the player we all expected her to be when she came to Storrs.
there's speculation all over this forum... "between the ear" "lack confidence" etc. (even the player fall into believing it). Folks are entitled to voice the opinion even with the lack of FACTS (evidence)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Speaking of Kelly Faris, the Sparks waived her and Brooke McCarty today.
Minor correction:

Brooke was waived by L.A. Kelly was waived by N.Y. (unless Kelly was picked up by L.A. and immediately waived).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
there's speculation all over this forum... "between the ear" "lack confidence" etc. (even the player fall into believing it). Folks are entitled to voice the opinion even with the lack of FACTS (evidence)
I suppose you are correct. But it's also the right, and perhaps the responsibility, of others to challenge idle and unfair speculation when it is directed at young ladies by posters that have absolutely no way of knowing what's actually going on.

Reaction Score
I suppose you are correct. But it's also the right, and perhaps the responsibility, of others to challenge idle and unfair speculation when it is directed at young ladies by posters that have absolutely no way of knowing what's actually going on.

transfer speculation is prohibited but is there any doubt in your mind that MW would be unhappy about her lack of playing time? What competitive player wouldn't be? It would be insulting to assume otherwise...........controlling playing time is Geno's key motivator............let's see if MW got the message............

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Though UConn players have always played hard, I think Maya brought the effort and consistency to a new level. She passed the work ethic to Kelly Faris, who passed it to Moriah. Mo then passed it to Gabby. Megan got to see Gabby in person every day last year, so she knows what is possible. I think Meg is on the right track.

Milford's theory is interesting but does not withstand scrutiny in my view.
Kelly came in self-motivated; her parents being the main influence. ...Geno spoke about that often...Regardless of the propaganda; especially of Geno (too fast et al), Moriah actually became what she was in high school (watch video) apparently after she was permitted to play in that fashion...Gabby is also the kind of athlete; really quite cerebral, who always competes at a very high level and accepts coaching...very much required in her case as her skills were undeveloped.

I think a very strong point could be made about each athlete's internal motor and motivation. I don't see the direct line that Milford proposed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
transfer speculation is prohibited but is there any doubt in your mind that MW would be unhappy about her lack of playing time? What competitive player wouldn't be? It would be insulting to assume otherwise......controlling playing time is Geno's key motivator..let's see if MW got the message..
Obviously any competitive b-ball player would be disappointed about a lack of playing time. So yes I acknowledge that. What I don't acknowledge is that MW didn't understand the reasons why she wasn't playing and that might drive her out of the program, and that somehow Geno was being unfair by not playing her, and had not done everything possible to help her develop.

So now that I've acknowledged your point, here's one for you. After 33 years as the most successful coach in the history of WBB, arguably the most effective player development and motivational coach ever, do you believe that Geno's decisions not to play MW more were arbitrary and capricious, and not based on her performance in practice and games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom