"The Grind Does Not Stop" Pheesa and Megan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"The Grind Does Not Stop" Pheesa and Megan

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How do you figure that? KLS is from Cali and Megan Walker is from Va. The odds of UCONN landing the number one player are the same even if the player was from say.....Arkansas?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There’s a lot to unpack in your post, but clearly one major inaccuracy is that UConn “lost SB to ND.” Perhaps you missed the handful of posts from the mysterious “Dolphin” likely a friend or family member, who indicated that UConn’s offer had been pulled (perhaps never really extended) and accurately predicted that SB would sign with ND. This information was supported by long time beat reporter John Adamec who indicated that SB had not been offered.

As for Geno’s comments, there are numerous examples of Geno critizing players for 30 years, and it hasn’t impacted recruiting so far. Fortunately, high school girls don’t hang on Geno’s every word like all of us here on the BY.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't think Walker will match Williams defensively. However, I think she may end up being better offensively, due to being a better overall shooter.

Lot's of people need injections of reality. Geno has been publicly criticizing players for years. Hasn't seemed to affect recruiting all that much. According to many we get all the best players. And have for years. Why do you think it would change THIS year?

Why do you think Brunelle was our #1 target? There has been quite a bit of talk on here that UCONN actually backed off of her?? How accurate that is, is up for debate, but it didn't seem like UCONN was going out of it's way in recruiting her at the end. They seemed, from reports, to be spending more time on other recruits. Which to me, would make it seem like she was not the #1 target.

Also down recruiting years are usually followed by outstanding recruiting years. For example after the Faris year, we brought in Dolson/Hartley/Walker/Engeln/Johnson. Followed by KML/Banks/Stokes and then Stewart/Jefferson/Tuck (6 AA's in 3 years). After the Chong year, we brought in Williams/Nurse/Ekmark/Edwards and then KLS/Collier/Boykin (3 AA's and a 4 year starter). Dangerfield class wasn't down, but not great, but has been followed by Walker/Coombs/AEH/Hunter and now Williams/ONO. So, excuse me if I'm not too worried about recruiting for 2019/2020/2021. UCONN doesn't have too many down years and if they do have one, it's usually followed up by some pretty good recruits.

It's sometimes harder to bring players cross country, but that's always been the case. However as programs go, UCONN is probably better than most at doing just that. We've gotten recruits from Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California (7), Colorado, Florida, Georgia (5), Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, along with Canada, Croatia, New Zealand, Nigeria, and Russia. We do ok. Distance doesn't seem to be that big of deal.

Reality is, people can chillax. It's gonna be ok.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno being critical of last year’s freshmen did not chase away Sam Brunelle. Coach was a little more vocal and harsh than I was comfortable with, though.

On another point, I think Gabby is a better athlete and defender than Megan, but Meg is the better basketball player at the same stage of her career (partly due to Gabby’s lost time because of injuries). That said, Meg has an elite combination of size, speed, length, and hops.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Meg picked a good person to hang out with and emulate. Alex has done some good things for Pheesa and will do the same for Megan. On Pheesa's IG account, Alex called Megan "a beast." I'm confident that Meg will make a nice sophomore leap.

Meg picked a good person to hang out with and emulate. Milford, you just posted the "thought of the day"!!! There's an old saying: "Who you run with says who you are". ;) Personally, I never had any doubts that Megan would blossom into the elite player she's projected to be. Because of Geno's rigorous indoctrination and conditioning program, plus the fact that he himself says that very few freshmen come in, adapt and learn his system right away. I'm just following Geno's lead. In Geno I trust!!!

Because of this, I give all of the freshmen a pass their first year, but I also expect them all to make that sophomore leap the following summer. If one or two "get it" early on, so much the better. When was the last time Geno brought in a freshman that he expected and needed to contribute early and often their freshman year? Yes, Stewie did, but she had her share of challenges, failures, disappointments and set backs along with hitting the wall mid-season. She finished strong, and contributed heavily down the stretch in UConn winning the championship that year. How many "Stewies" have come through the program in the last 20 years?

Megan Walker will be the elite player we all expect her to be. I saw things in her last season that I did not see in the other freshmen. If she continues to hang and train with Collier this summer, she will be ready to begin the season in every way. From a physical as well as a mental aspect. I'm really not concerned about Walker. I think from this point forward, she will be as good as advertised. My concern is about the two incoming freshmen. Because right now, they're unknowns. They're wild cards. We have no idea how long it will take them to adjust to playing at this level, or how much/little they will help the team this coming season.

I think most will agree that anything they can contribute will be needed. Depth will be a concern this coming season. Presently, there are 11 players on UConn's roster. Geno needs at least 4 reserves from last season to step up this year and fill the shoes left by the departed seniors. ALL of the returning reserves need to make that leap THIS summer!!!. There is no room for a player on this 2018-2019 team that has not gotten "it" yet, and that Geno does not trust. When the referee tosses the ball up to begin that first exhibition game in early November, EVERYONE must be locked in, focused and ready to play.

Last edited by a moderator:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Because of this, I give all of the freshmen a pass their first year

Presently, there are 11 players on UConn's roster. Geno needs at least 4 reserves from last season to step up this year and fill the shoes left by the departed seniors. ALL of the returning reserves need to make that leap THIS summer!!!. There is no room for a player on this 2018-2019 team that has not gotten "it" yet, and that Geno does not trust. When the referee tosses the ball up to begin that first exhibition game in early November, EVERYONE must be locked in, focused and ready to play.

The above, Completely unrealistic in my view...the juniors already have 2 years under their belt and only occasionally (very) influenced the outcome of any game.

The frosh, other than Meg, were the forgotten 4.

I just don't see how one can expect (that) much from them...goodness, we hardly remember their names.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The above, Completely unrealistic in my view...the juniors already have 2 years under their belt and only occasionally (very) influenced the outcome of any game.

I just don't see how one can expect (that) much from them...goodness, we hardly remember their names.
We had 3 other freshmen besides Megan not 4 and the names are Mikayla, Lexi and Andra. Andra transferred in case you had not heard.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

If my take is unrealistic, then UConn is in serious trouble. What then do YOU suggest? My take is the best that can happen for UConn in 2018-2019. You are suggesting the worst scenario that could happen. Those of us that follow the team are aware of the minimal contributions and influence the reserves made last year. I agree with your take on the forgotten 4. They all booked passage on "The Good Ship Lolly Pop" and stayed on board all year. Well, that ship has docked. Time for all of them to disembark, step up, strap up and lace 'em up.

IF the reserves don't ALL step up, how do YOU see the year playing out for UConn this coming season? Geno "shopped" for the groceries. He knew what he was getting when he offered them, and the type of players he could mold them into.

We had better hope the picture I painted comes to fruition. If YOUR thoughts and expectations come true, this will be one of the worst seasons/teams UConn has had in the last 20 years. The team cannot afford the reserves to reprise their efforts and ineffectiveness of last year. If the 6 players Geno played regularly could not get it done last year, how do you (or anyone else) expect the 3 returning starters to carry the team this year?

They lost a lot of talent to graduation this month, just under 50% of their scoring average. Nurse (13.5), Gabby (11.2) and Azura (14.7) adds up to 39.4 ppg UConn averaged 89.4 ppg. Which players are going to step up and fill that void? That's why I said at least 4 MUST step up to replace the ppg that were lost. IF the returning reserves can't/don't step up, then the freshmen will have to come in and play right away and learn as they go. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

JS

Reaction Score
So do people who believe UConn "lost" SB, much less that Geno's public comments had anything to do with the parting of ways.

I agree that the effect of that parting on those specific other recruits is at least of some concern, at present, but that consideration didn't influence the staff in their recruiting strategy. They were aware of it.

Reaction Score
So do people who believe UConn "lost" SB, much less that Geno's public comments had anything to do with the parting of ways.

I agree that the effect of that parting on those specific other recruits is at least of some concern, at present, but that consideration didn't influence the staff in their recruiting strategy. They were aware of it.

it's the strangest UConn recruiting story that I know of although I don't claim to be well versed on the "old days"...........who can really be certain about what actually happened? I certainly thought SB was offered....... I thought that was pretty much common knowledge on the BY after her visit............ this mystery poster who could have been anyone from an SB friend or relative to a UConn plant turned the entire episode into a bizarre recruiting dance.......as I've said before.........I would have continued to recruit SB not only for her own abilities but for her close relationship with two players who could virtually assure UConn's continued dominance.......

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
If my take is unrealistic, then UConn is in serious trouble. What then do YOU suggest? :oops:

Katie Lou, Crystal and Pheesa are the acknowledged stars and one hopes Megan will join them...

Geno often plays 6 or 7 (even to his detriment) so we have to determine whom they'll be
-Batouly is a good bet for substantially increased activity if she's healthy...onc can always hope.

So, maybe that's a starting 5...maybe
You have 2 hugely talented freshman who may be able to produce straight away
and two sophomore guards, reputed to be talented but who knows
and two juniors I'm more or less writing off.

Seems like we're missing height/bulk...no one to match up with Notre Dame or Mississippi St especially if we have foul issues

My suggestion: Run and gun should be an aspect of our "O"... try to score a crapload of points. We'll need them. No one will fear our "D." especially inside.

Reaction Score
"Most?" I don't believe that's accurate.

Some said that. Most said some variation of:

1. You earn your playing time in practice.

and/or the more aggressive . . .​

2. He knows what he's doing. How many national championship teams have you coached?
How many since Stewie left? 0?

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I believe most by ers said that he would have gotten more out of his freshmen if they got more game time. Also that the starters would not be so worn out by tournament time. Most probably still believe that.

Most=Paisan, Teef, Pmac

Go ahead. Believe it if you choose to. Believe in Thor, Chac Mol, or any of the thousands of Gods some folk choose to believe in. Just don't confuse belief with fact. Believe the earth is flat if that floats your boat.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
How many since Stewie left? 0?
Geno & C0. didn't win any National Championships from 1985 to 1993. Guess he should have been fired for not measuring up to your standards then.
Then he didn't win any from 1995 to 1999. Clearly he'd hit the skids and should have been let go.
What happened from 2005-2008? No NCs. Poorly coached teams?
We only got as far as the FInal Four in 2011 and 2012. Intollerable!
Obviously, the man doesn't have any sort of respectable coaching skill.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I got joy, joy, joy down in my soul. I was so happy to see Napheesa take Megan under her wing. Megan had a trainer before coming to UConn, but maybe working out with Napheesa will build her confidence. I am looking forward to next season. I loved to see Napheesa and Megan raining 3's.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno & C0. didn't win any National Championships from 1985 to 1993. Guess he should have been fired for not measuring up to your standards then.
Then he didn't win any from 1995 to 1999. Clearly he'd hit the skids and should have been let go.
What happened from 2005-2008? No NCs. Poorly coached teams?
We only got as far as the FInal Four in 2011 and 2012. Intollerable!
Obviously, the man doesn't have any sort of respectable coaching skill.
SARCASM is the body’s defense against STUPID. :cool:

Well stated! :)

Reaction Score
Most=Paisan, Teef, Pmac

Go ahead. Believe it if you choose to. Believe in Thor, Chac Mol, or any of the thousands of Gods some folk choose to believe in. Just don't confuse belief with fact. Believe the earth is flat if that floats your boat.

I find it remarkable that Geno loyalists can't admit that he is somewhat responsible for not developing his bench last year and that the inability to bring in players off that bench was one of the reasons for the team's loss against ND..............Geno was quoted as saying that looking back it was his mistake not to substitute for KLS in that game...........why is it so necessary to denigrate other's opinions when the coach admits the error?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I find it remarkable that Geno loyalists can't admit that he is somewhat responsible for not developing his bench last year and that the inability to bring in players off that bench was one of the reasons for the team's loss against ND....Geno was quoted as saying that looking back it was his mistake not to substitute for KLS in that game......why is it so necessary to denigrate other's opinions when the coach admits the error?
Because you are presenting your opinion as fact and not considering the obvious: A substitute for KLS it that game would have been Azura Stevens not Megan Walker!

Reaction Score
Because you are presenting your opinion as fact and not considering the obvious: A substitute for KLS it that game would have been Azura Stevens not Megan Walker!

Stevens was the only sub in and she came in for others.............Dangerfield only played 30 minutes.............Nurse, Williams and KLS all playing with four fouls, 45, 38 and 45 minutes respectively...........but you must be right all those minutes, all those fouls and not one of them needed a rest...............not one blanking minute for Megan Walker who you all assume will be roaring to go early and often next season.............that's really something.........

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
speaking of which..where is Mikayla Coombs? Is she healthy enough to play next
Mikayla is probably at home chillin-she doesn't check in with me like that and I don't stalk her instagram like some other posters have been know to do-just sayin!
I hope she is healthy enough to play next year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I find it remarkable that Geno loyalists can't admit that he is somewhat responsible for not developing his bench last year and that the inability to bring in players off that bench was one of the reasons for the team's loss against ND....Geno was quoted as saying that looking back it was his mistake not to substitute for KLS in that game......why is it so necessary to denigrate other's opinions when the coach admits the error?
ND won the championship with barely 6 players, with their top freshman never entering the game. If Gabby hit the turnaround jumper at the end of regulation, we would have been celebrating Geno’s continued brilliance while watching Gabby on Dancing With The Stars.

The loss had nothing to do with the fact that the freshmen were not yet ready, and the fact that the freshmen were not yet ready had nothing to do with Geno and the coaching staff, who did everything they could to help them develop.

Reaction Score
ND won the championship with barely 6 players, with their top freshman never entering the game. If Gabby hit the turnaround jumper at the end of regulation, we would have been celebrating Geno’s continued brilliance while watching Gabby on Dancing With The Stars.

The loss had nothing to do with the fact that the freshmen were not yet ready, and the fact that the freshmen were not yet ready had nothing to do with Geno and the coaching staff, who did everything they could to help them develop.

so you're saying a coach is never responsible for how well his players play or for their development as players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom