"The Grind Does Not Stop" Pheesa and Megan | The Boneyard

"The Grind Does Not Stop" Pheesa and Megan

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am reminded how many BY’ers were fretting over MW’s state of mind after her up and down freshman year, fearing that Geno had somehow demotivated her.

Yessiree, Megan certainly appears to be struggling with her motivation this off season..... :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Meg picked a good person to hang out with and emulate. Alex has done some good things for Pheesa and will do the same for Megan. On Pheesa's IG account, Alex called Megan "a beast." I'm confident that Meg will make a nice sophomore leap.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I am reminded how many BY’ers were fretting over MW’s state of mind after her up and down freshman year, fearing that Geno had somehow demotivated her.

Yessiree, Megan certainly appears to be struggling with her motivation this off season..... :rolleyes:
we can go back over post all summer long and pick out who said stuff that didn't pan out

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
we can go back over post all summer long and pick out who said stuff that didn't pan out
Yes we could. But it’s one thing to suggest, for instance, that Z would start over Crystal, as I once did, which is nothing more than harmless speculation. It’s quite another thing to speculate that MW was unhappy and might consider transferring, which a number of BY posters suggested at several points throughout the season.

The speculation surrounding MW’s state of mind was unnecessary and unfair to a young lady who is a tremendous competitor, and was always more likely to buckle down and work incredibly hard to become the player we all expected her to be when she came to Storrs.

JS

Reaction Score
It’s quite another thing to speculate that MW was unhappy and might consider transferring, which a number of BY posters suggested at several points throughout the season.
Quite another thing that's against BY Rules and wouldn't have lasted past first sight by a moderator.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Quite another thing that's against BY Rules and wouldn't have lasted past first sight by a moderator.
Nevertheless, there were numerous posts intimating such consequences while implying that Geno was somehow breaking MW's spirit, despite 30+ years of evidence to the contrary that Geno, CD, et al knew more about motivating and developing players than just about any coaching staff on the planet.

JS

Reaction Score
I believe most by ers said that he would have gotten more out of his freshmen if they got more game time. Also that the starters would not be so worn out by tournament time. Most probably still believe that.
"Most?" I don't believe that's accurate.

Some said that. Most said some variation of:

1. You earn your playing time in practice.

and/or the more aggressive . . .​

2. He knows what he's doing. How many national championship teams have you coached?

Reaction Score
Yes we could. But it’s one thing to suggest, for instance, that Z would start over Crystal, as I once did, which is nothing more than harmless speculation. It’s quite another thing to speculate that MW was unhappy and might consider transferring, which a number of BY posters suggested at several points throughout the season.

The speculation surrounding MW’s state of mind was unnecessary and unfair to a young lady who is a tremendous competitor, and was always more likely to buckle down and work incredibly hard to become the player we all expected her to be when she came to Storrs.

I for one said that MW's lack of consistent playing time led to her inconsistency during the season and would in the end come back to haunt UConn with such a limited bench...........Geno so much as admitted that he was mistaken in not subbing for KLS and others in the ND game where foul trouble and fatigue were rampant and yet MW didn't get a sniff.........I know I'll get stick for it but I'll stand by that same thought today................I never suggested she would transfer but that it might effect future recruiting.........waiting to see if that turns out to be the case..........

Reaction Score

Not trying to be a wise guy but judging by her lack of playing time couldn't you reverse that and say she was not a tremendous competitor nor an incredibly hard worker otherwise she would have played more minutes? Or was it something else about her game that Geno found lacking?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I for one said that MW's lack of consistent playing time led to her inconsistency during the season and would in the end come back to haunt UConn with such a limited bench......Geno so much as admitted that he was mistaken in not subbing for KLS and others in the ND game where foul trouble and fatigue were rampant and yet MW didn't get a sniff....I know I'll get stick for it but I'll stand by that same thought today......I never suggested she would transfer but that it might effect future recruiting....waiting to see if that turns out to be the case.....
While I disagree with your assessment, I take no issue with your right to express that view. My issue was with a number of posters who continually lambasted Geno for being mean and insensitive to the fragile emotional state of a freshman, implying that dire consequences would result.

Geno has always said that the worst thing that could happen is for a player to spend 4 years at UConn and feel they didn’t reach their potential. MW is a fierce competitor with enormous potential. Geno knew exactly what he was doing with MW, and what’s more, MW knows exactly why she didn’t play more this past season. To her credit, she’s going to see to it that never happens again. That’s the stuff of champions.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not trying to be a wise guy but judging by her lack of playing time couldn't you reverse that and say she was not a tremendous competitor nor an incredibly hard worker otherwise she would have played more minutes? Or was it something else about her game that Geno found lacking?
Lol!
keeptrying.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The best explanation for MW’s inconsistency is the most logical one. She was a freshman. Mo, Gabby, Crystal and countless other players overcame that particular affliction. I have no doubt MW will as well.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Personally, with no inside information, I think it was something else.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
"Most?" I don't believe that's accurate.

Some said that. Most said some variation of:

1. You earn your playing time in practice.

and/or the more aggressive . . .​

2. He knows what he's doing. How many national championship teams have you coached?

I dimly recall a logic course I took at Hunter College in the early 70's..sort of continuing ed for me...restless..

I think the "how many national championships argument" is a variation of the fallacy of (authority?) perhaps an expert can help me here.
like when old movie actor tells you to purchase a reverse mortgage.

That argument at the very least is a discussion ender and should be banned from the board...

Geno is a genius, has been the most remarkable of coaches with a record to prove it. but he is not infallible and probably is more than a little fixed in his ways as "times they are a-changin."

He had trouble with Stewie in her freshman season and didn't "get" Moriah until the following year.

This season's freshman class was pretty much a total bust...all their fault? Impossible to quantify.

And some incidents over the years...the famous Christmas photo incident...drove me batty; how could he be so insensitive?

At the very least, for initiates, it is very difficult to understand both the system and the effort required to perform in it. May very well go against everything they had been previously taught.

Both Notre Dame and Miss. State won, when a player or two who could one-on-one (like men's pro BB), manufacture their own shots; did just that.

Such individual style of play is not often found or (seemingly) encouraged here.
Sure, Dee, Maya were that sort. But it's not really the style of play that seems to be cherished... and for me is what I find so attractive about the team.

A dilema for sure.

But also... for sure...Geno is a human, with faults, prejudices, predilections, whatever.

This upcoming season will be telling; lot's of talent, perhaps, not all the required pieces...especially if he keeps his usual maxim of freshman should be seen and not heard.

I've been thinking that perhaps this season's team will struggle in big games...

But what do I know?

Reaction Score
Meg looks good, but I didn’t think she looked too shabby last season.

I’m not saying that. Shoot Crystal looked great her freshman year, but still has room to improve her body this year

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I dimly recall a logic course I took at Hunter College in the early 70's..sort of continuing ed for me...restless..
I think the "how many national championships argument" is a variation of the fallacy of (authority?) perhaps an expert can help me here.
like when old movie actor tells you to purchase a reverse mortgage.
That argument at the very least is a discussion ender and should be banned from the board...
Geno is a genius, has been the most remarkable of coaches with a record to prove it. but he is not infallible and probably is more than a little fixed in his ways as "times they are a-changin."
He had trouble with Stewie in her freshman season and didn't "get" Moriah until the following year.
This season's freshman class was pretty much a total bust...all their fault? Impossible to quantify.
And some incidents over the years...the famous Christmas photo incident...drove me batty; how could he be so insensitive?
At the very least, for initiates, it is very difficult to understand both the system and the effort required to perform in it. May very well go against everything they had been previously taught.
Both Notre Dame and Miss. State won, when a player or two who could one-on-one (like men's pro BB), manufacture their own shots; did just that.
Such individual style of play is not often found or (seemingly) encouraged here.
Sure, Dee, Maya were that sort. But it's not really the style of play that seems to be cherished... and for me is what I find so attractive about the team.
A dilema for sure.
But also... for sure...Geno is a human, with faults, prejudices, predilections, whatever.
This upcoming season will be telling; lot's of talent, perhaps, not all the required pieces...especially if he keeps his usual maxim of freshman should be seen and not heard.
I've been thinking that perhaps this season's team will struggle in big games...
But what do I know?
Being fixed in his ways is what makes Geno. Geno lives by a set of principles that are unchanged since the time he was coaching JV basketball a life time ago.
The times may be a changin but Geno will retire before he compromises on ANY of those core principles. One of those core principles is that individual talent, regardless of how great, MUST fit within a broader stronger TEAM framework. One of Geno's maxim is surely not that "Freshmen should be seen and not heard". As condescending as that statement was, I'm give you a pass and suggest that you google Kia Nurse.
Regarding UCONN not having players to "manufacture their own shots" and specific to Mississippi State, ND and might as well throw in Amber Orange of Stanford shots in there also- THESE WERE NOT one on one basketball plays. These were well designed TEAM basketball plays that any UCONN starter in the past five years was capable of executing. You name any UCONN starter since the 2013 season and I can point out a game where that starter make a clutch shot to help UCONN win a game. UCONN does not have to start looking for a different type of recruit or make any drastic changes to the offensive or defensive system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman