The Great Height Debate Part-Nth | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Great Height Debate Part-Nth

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Fun fact: If you go back and look at the past UCONN team photos with Geno seated in the front a PG has always been directly to his right. Moriah Jefferson, Bria Hartley, Renee Montgomery and now Crystal for two years in a row have occupied that seat. Makes sense right hand man to the coach is the PG.
I'm not sure it's the player's position, though that could be the key. I do know that Geno tends to love players who are shorter than him. :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Karlie played 4 years at Stanford. Unless she was the Cardinal equivalent of Bria Hartley, her height is well documented, so I saw her as a fairly reliable yardstick.

I've seen enough Stanford games and Samuelson photos to tell the girls apart. Bonnie is taller than Karlie and has darker hair.

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-16%20at%2010.29.16%20PM.png
Yea yea, Wait, forget all that. I don't get the the Pac 12 Network in my cable package. This reporter (between the Samuelson twins) a regular on that network? How tall is she? Should I just call the cable company?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yea yea, Wait, forget all that. I don't get the the Pac 12 Network in my cable package. This reporter (between the Samuelson twins) a regular on that network? How tall is she? Should I just call the cable company?
Stanford has been on national TV.

Just for you:

espnw_e_samuelsonfam_300x300.jpg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stanford has been on national TV.

Just for you:

espnw_e_samuelsonfam_300x300.jpg
Just what I needed more random people. Is that Jon? I recognize him from the UCONN hoody wearing interview with Holly. How tall is he?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just what I needed more random people. Is that Jon? I recognize him from the UCONN hoody wearing interview with Holly. How tall is he?
That's Jon, who got a lot of air time last year. Not sure, but I believe he played at Cal State Fullerton. One source lists him at 6'5". I don't view the Samuelson family as "random people." Now, if I compared Lou's height to that of the family dog, I'd agree with you.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Good evening everyone. First apologies for the uneven line drawing. But I am glad that it served its purpose-spark debate about player height.

I knew there would be an expert photog, graphic designer etc that would give a better assessment of the photo.
Just to add an additional wrinkle to the conversation.

Isn't Shea Ralph 6'0? CD is sub/equal to 6'0? and Marisa 6'2.
If Marisa is indeed 6'2 as her playing bio states, then Batouly may also be 6'2

I was beginning to wonder if you didn't regret that original post. But thanks for posting it, gave us all a chance to have a little fun.

Reaction Score
Something else that always must be considered, along with everything else already mentioned, is if anyone is not standing straight or if they are bending a knee somewhat. This you can not see in these pictures.

Actually measuring a persons height, via the top of their heads, for basketball purposes is rather academic. The length of necks and the size of a persons head are variable. Look at the level of their shoulders and consider the length of their arms. Reach is all important, since it is very unusual for anyone to either shoot or block shots with the top of their heads.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I suggest a pinned "Bria Hartley Memorial Thread" title that can be added to every time this subject comes up.
Bria has become famous over her height controversy. She's in the category with Celsius, Kelvin, Ohm, et al. based on the now famous "Hartley Unit."

Reaction Score
I was beginning to wonder if you didn't regret that original post. But thanks for posting it, gave us all a chance to have a little fun.
No not at all. I couldn't reply until later in the day. This site and RebKell always gives a good conversation and perspectives.
There are very few who are very enthused about WCBB so finding your tribe (even when we disagree) is always fun.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For most of my adult life I've been 5'7" tall. Now after my heart/bladder/back surgeries in the past year my Doctor tells me I'm 5'4"! Besides the pain and discomfort I've had to put up with through my surgeries, et al, I have to now put up with the fact I've lost 3" in height! Pretty soon I'll be sounding like the WICKED WITCH OF THE WEST from the Wizard of Oz, "I'm shrinking, I'm shrinking!" This sucks big-time!

Reaction Score
I am 6ft 1in been this since freshmen year in HS. I have had the oppurtunity to talk with Shea a couple times over the years and she is a solid 6 footer! Each time she was in sweats and sneakers.

Reaction Score
I have been intrigued by a much smaller (in magnitude - an inch or two) and wider spread problem.
Not exactly a problem because I am aware that many players are listed taller than they actually are.
Kara Lawson was listed at 5ft 9in at Tennessee. She shrank an inch or two to win the Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award as the best senior player under 5ft 8in.
Then she grew an inch to play at Tennessee at 5ft 9in again and then finish her WNBA career at that height as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom