The Great Height Debate Part-Nth | The Boneyard

The Great Height Debate Part-Nth

Reaction Score
Guys in a few threads have commented on the height of the freshman and Batouly.
This is not scientific at all, rather a tool as a conversation starter.

upload_2017-11-16_10-7-53.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Guys in a few threads have commented on the height of the freshman and Batouly.
This is not scientific at all, rather a tool as a conversation starter.

View attachment 26203
You don't have enough variables to start a proper controversy much less a conversation.
That line looks crooked to me, I can't really tell because Bria Hartley is not in the picture, plus the rim of the basket is clearly leaning to the left, the exact opposite of the slope of the floor.
Are they all wearing high-tops or running shoes? And how come nobody has their hair in a bun?

Reaction Score
If one takes the top of the padding as the line of reference, then both of the
drawn in lines seem a little skewed, Yellow Jacket's more than Hunt's.

Reaction Score
That's crazy that the top of Z's hair is almost at hoop level! How high is the hoop?

Reaction Score
I'm trying to figure out how Z is supposed to be able to do anything having to balance a '12 foot long bar on her nose!!! Especially when that black bar blocks her vision!!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I laid in another rectangle using the horizontal line on the backboard and that did match up to Xhunt's line. However, keying on Ed4ourgirls comment, I then tried to use the metal bar on the front of the chairs to better reference the floor. In doing that I did find an slant/tilt to the original picture. I "leveled the picture and then added a new rectangle which the horizontal is referenced to the metal bar on the front of the chairs and used Walker's height ans the baseline. (P.S. if you look at the yellow at the edges of this picture you can see how much I needed to rotate the picture to get the floor "level").

I think that's as good as you're going to get. Of course optical error could still be present.

lined pic_level.jpg

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
You should be asking how far away and how low is the camera. Parallax.

Shoulda scrolled lower to see your parallax view, before replying.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I laid in another rectangle using the horizontal line on the backboard and that did match up to Xhunt's line. However, keying on Ed4ourgirls comment, I then tried to use the metal bar on the front of the chairs to better reference the floor. In doing that I did find an slant/tilt to the original picture. I "leveled the picture and then added a new rectangle which the horizontal is referenced to the metal bar on the front of the chairs and used Walker's height ans the baseline. (P.S. if you look at the yellow at the edges of this picture you can see how much I needed to rotate the picture to get the floor "level").

I think that's as good as you're going to get. Of course optical error could still be present.

View attachment 26218
Does all that make CD taller than Shea and are we sure that's correct? Or is taht within the margin of error?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

View attachment 26218
Looking at the official roster for those who are standing, we have:

Meg 6'1"
Lexi 6'0"
Kyla 6'2"
Azura 6'6"
Lou 6'3"
Pheesa 6'1"
Batouly 6'2"

Keep in mind that, even if perfectly accurate, many heights may be rounded to the nearest inch, so there could be a discrepancy of up to about 7/8" when comparing two players of the same height, rounded up or down to the nearest inch.

Some takeaways for me:

--Meg doesn't look taller than Lexi.

--Kyla is at least 2" taller than both of them.

--Pheesa and Lou are 6'7" and 6'4" or everyone else is overstated. This is an old pic, but Lou looks 4" taller than Karlie, who is reportedly 6'0". A 2017 Final Four pic shows Lou close to 4" taller as well.

TOC.jpg

--Pheesa is on the high side of 6'1" and decidedly taller than Meg and Lexi.

--Batouly is 6'1" at most.

--Bria is taller than her son, but that will change in about 10-12 years.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Looking at the official roster for those who are standing, we have:

Meg 6'1"
Lexi 6'0"
Kyla 6'2"
Azura 6'6"
Lou 6'3"
Pheesa 6'1"
Batouly 6'2"

Keep in mind that, even if perfectly accurate, many heights may be rounded to the nearest inch, so there could be a discrepancy of up to about 7/8" when comparing two players of the same height, rounded up or down to the nearest inch.

Some takeaways for me:

--Meg doesn't look taller than Lexi.

--Kyla is at least 2" taller than both of them.

--Pheesa and Lou are 6'7" and 6'4" or everyone else is overstated. This is an old pic, but Lou looks 4" taller than Karlie, who is reportedly 6'0". A 2017 Final Four pic shows Lou close to 4" taller as well.

TOC.jpg

--Pheesa is on the high side of 6'1" and decidedly taller than Meg and Lexi.

--Batouly is 6'1" at most.

--Bria is taller than her son, but that will change in about 10-12 years.
You can't just be throwing random people into the conversation. The one on the left in the picture is? How tall is she?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You can't just be throwing random people into the conversation. The one on the left in the picture is? How tall is she?
Who's a random person, and which photo are you taking about?

If you are talking about the Mater Dei photo, it's relevant because it's Lou and her sister at ages 15-16 and 17-18, respectively. Lou was more likely to still be growing at the time, and she's close to 4" taller than her older sister. Karlie is widely regarded as being 6'0". My point is that there are several photos--the UConn photo, the Mater Dei photo, and others--where Lou looks closer to 6'4" than her listed 6'3".

I thought it was obvious that it's Karlie in the pic that I added.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As most of us sadly know, you shrink as you get older, so any statistics on height should be age-adjusted....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As most of us sadly know, you shrink as you get older, so any statistics on height should be age-adjusted....
I think CD and Geno are old enough to have shrunk (no offense intended). I don't think Shea, Marisa, or the players have experienced that.

I've shrunk at least 1" over the past 50 years and am not happy about it. :(

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think CD and Geno are old enough to have shrunk (no offense intended). I don't think Shea, Marisa, or the players have experienced that.

I've shrunk at least 1" over the past 50 years and am not happy about it. :(
I notice Geno sits next to Danger in the photo. She's probably the only Husky he's taller than.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Who's a random person, and which photo are you taking about?

If you are talking about the Mater Dei photo, it's relevant because it's Lou and her sister at ages 15-16 and 17-18, respectively. Lou was more likely to still be growing at the time, and she's close to 4" taller than her older sister. Karlie is widely regarded as being 6'0". My point is that there are several photos--the UConn photo, the Mater Dei photo, and others--where Lou looks closer to 6'4" than her listed 6'3".
I thought it was obvious that it's Karlie in the pic that I added.
Youn need to take this more seriously. :eek:
Are you sure that's not Bonnie? Considering the gravity of this situation and the efforts of all involved to determine the precise hight of each player either Bonnie or Karlie=random.

Reaction Score
Good evening everyone. First apologies for the uneven line drawing. But I am glad that it served its purpose-spark debate about player height.

I knew there would be an expert photog, graphic designer etc that would give a better assessment of the photo.
Just to add an additional wrinkle to the conversation.

Isn't Shea Ralph 6'0? CD is sub/equal to 6'0? and Marisa 6'2.
If Marisa is indeed 6'2 as her playing bio states, then Batouly may also be 6'2

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyways a few more hours until our ladies take the court and destroy another opponent!! Can't wait.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Youn need to take this more seriously. :eek:
Are you sure that's not Bonnie? Considering the gravity of this situation and the efforts of all involved to determine the precise hight of each player either Bonnie or Karlie=random.
Karlie played 4 years at Stanford. Unless she was the Cardinal equivalent of Bria Hartley, her height is well documented, so I saw her as a fairly reliable yardstick.

I've seen enough Stanford games and Samuelson photos to tell the girls apart. Bonnie is taller than Karlie and has darker hair.

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-16%20at%2010.29.16%20PM.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I notice Geno sits next to Danger in the photo. She's probably the only Husky he's taller than.
Fun fact: If you go back and look at the past UCONN team photos with Geno seated in the front a PG has always been directly to his right. Moriah Jefferson, Bria Hartley, Renee Montgomery and now Crystal for two years in a row have occupied that seat. Makes sense right hand man to the coach is the PG.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom