OT: - The Flamingos | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: The Flamingos

Reaction Score
Surely you know that Bobby Lester was the lead on Sincerely and most of their early hits. For some reason Harvey did not like him and they eventually split. Alan Freed did not co-write Sincerely. He was like a number of DJ's back then who wanted their names listed on the records so they could get residuals from sales. Because they allowed Freed to include his name he kind of adopted them and gave them the name Moonglows based on his Moondoggies show or something to that effect. He also allowed them to appear on his big shows. He wanted the Spaniels to include his name as co-writer on Goodnight Sweetheart, but they would not let him. As a result, Freed never allowed the Spaniels to appear on his shows. Later on Bobby Lester said the Moonglows regretted allowing Freed to use his name on Sincerely as co writer.

If you did't give Alan Freed what he wanted he made you pay .. it's called "payola" .. it's the reason so much great doo wop music was suppressed until this music came back to life with the advent of Napster and other Internet sites .. I was a big doo wop fan in high school but hadn't heard 75% of the great doo wop tunes until Napster due to 'payola' suppression .. Napster is the reason I started my doo wop site: nydoowop dot com .. now a lot of the great, previously suppressed, music can also be heard on YouTube

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I meant to add my favrit Jive Five tune!

I always loved this song as well as My True Story. Nate Nelson had in his voice what Tony Williams was missing. His I I'lllll bounced off the walls much better than Williams', imo

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I did! Loved it.
Where were you living during those times? Anywhere near Nashville or did you have to wait until night to hear the station like I did?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I never heard of Smith. Is that a vocal group or solo artist? Jingo, where did you find "At Night". I have most Flamingos songs but I never heard of that one. I like any song with Nate Nelson on the lead. Remember "A Kiss From Your Lips"?
A group charted I think 1969-70, a little hard to find

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
If you did't give Alan Freed what he wanted he made you pay .. it's called "payola" .. it's the reason so much great doo wop music was suppressed until this music came back to life with the advent of Napster and other Internet sites .. I was a big doo wop fan in high school but hadn't heard 75% of the great doo wop tunes until Napster due to 'payola' suppression .. Napster is the reason I started my doo wop site: nydoowop dot com .. now a lot of the great, previously suppressed, music can also be heard on YouTube
Thanks for this.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Here's my current playlist on my 1947 Wurlitzer that plays 78 rpm records. Eat your hearts out!

Juke Box Doo Wop Titles.JPG

Reaction Score
I always loved this song as well as My True Story. Nate Nelson had in his voice what Tony Williams was missing. His I I'lllll bounced off the walls much better than Williams', imo

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I am thankful that Bama fan started this thread. I wanted to start one but was not sure how the response would be. It's is good to communicate with people who know that Motown was not where this music started. I get tired of people asking me when they find out I sing with a group, "oh, are you all like the Temptations"? I quickly tell them no, we are more like the Spaniels, Dells, Heartbeats, Impressions, etc. I am surprised that, seeing how so much of Doo Wop started out East, especially New York, no one mentioned Frankie Lymon and The Teenagers or the Schoolboys, who started the teens of the era to start performing professionally. Thank you Bama fan and all the others who contributed to this thread.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

A colleague of mine said he once got an audience with Freed. He brought his demo. I'm told Freed said to give him $500 and he'll play it.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I am thankful that Bama fan started this thread. I wanted to start one but was not sure how the response would be. It's is good to communicate with people who know that Motown was not where this music started. I get tired of people asking me when they find out I sing with a group, "oh, are you all like the Temptations"? I quickly tell them no, we are more like the Spaniels, Dells, Heartbeats, Impressions, etc. I am surprised that, seeing how so much of Doo Wop started out East, especially New York, no one mentioned Frankie Lymon and The Teenagers or the Schoolboys, who started the teens of the era to start performing professionally. Thank you Bama fan and all the others who contributed to this thread.
I just want to know one thing: Are you now, or did you ever, look for an echo? BTW, Kenny Vance used to sing with Jay and the Americans.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I just want to know one thing: Are you now, or did you ever, look for an echo? BTW, Kenny Vance used to sing with Jay and the Americans.

Yes, many times, especially in the stairwells and restrooms. I love listening to Kenny Vance and the Planotones. When I first saw them on Public Television on one of the Doo Wop 50 shows, I said who the heck are these funny looking guys in the hats? Than they starting singing and I was blown away. I did not know they were from the East. If I had I would not have doubted them. You should here them sing "I Love You For Sentimental Reasons". Pure D, 100%, 24 carat, homogenized Doo Wop. I'ts beautiful. Look it up on youtube. The song Looking For An Echo was used in a movie in which Armand Asante played. It was a big part of the movie.

Reaction Score
i m a doo wop aficionado and purist, so much so that i have my own doo wop website with many songs that were suppressed into oblivion by the 'payola' DJs like Alan Freed, Dr Jive et al, and I agree with you about Nate Nelson [his voice]. Altho the Heartbeats w/ Shep are still my favourite group I would have to say that the greatest doo wop album that was ever put together was, "Flamingo Serenade" .. we listened to it constantly in college and brought the girls up to our rooms to slooow dance and make out! VIZ:
FlamingoSerenade.jpg

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
i m a doo wop aficionado and purist, so much so that i have my own doo wop website with many songs that were suppressed into oblivion by the 'payola' DJs like Alan Freed, Dr Jive et al, and I agree with you about Nate Nelson [his voice]. Altho the Heartbeats w/ Shep are still my favourite group I would have to say that the greatest doo wop album that was ever put together was, "Flamingo Serenade" .. we listened to it constantly in college and brought the girls up to our rooms to slooow dance and make out! VIZ:
View attachment 39744
I think the Heartbeats had the smoothest bass singer in Wally Roker and the Spaniels had the best bass in Gerald Gregory, who patterned his style after Jimmy Ricks of the Ravens. I have this same Flamingos album. It has some of the smoothest and best versions of old standards, done with a doo wop feel. My favorite album was the Drifters with There Goes My Baby on it. Dance With Me and Save The Last Dance For Me was also on the album.

Reaction Score
I think the Heartbeats had the smoothest bass singer in Wally Roker and the Spaniels had the best bass in Gerald Gregory, who patterned his style after Jimmy Ricks of the Ravens. I have this same Flamingos album. It has some of the smoothest and best versions of old standards, done with a doo wop feel. My favorite album was the Drifters with There Goes My Baby on it. Dance With Me and Save The Last Dance For Me was also on the album.

Reaction Score
Aah .. the Drifters .. so many gr8 lead singers .. the first record I ever bought wuz a 12" Drifters offering, "Adorable" w/ Johnny Moore on lead .. the Drifters album you mentioned, while great, was getting away from doo wop .. a different genre .. the Drifters were evolving with Ben E King as lead into a new style

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Aah .. the Drifters .. so many gr8 lead singers .. the first record I ever bought wuz a 12" Drifters offering, "Adorable" w/ Johnny Moore on lead .. the Drifters album you mentioned, while great, was getting away from doo wop .. a different genre .. the Drifters were evolving with Ben E King as lead into a new style
With full orchestra and all. It was 1959 and the music was starting to change. The Flamingos album Flamingo Serenade was not Doo Wop either. More on the old standards order.

Reaction Score
With full orchestra and all. It was 1959 and the music was starting to change. The Flamingos album Flamingo Serenade was not Doo Wop either. More on the old standards order.

Reaction Score
Yup .. u r right .. 1959 brought changes .. wuz that the year that Buddy, Richie & Bopper went down .. ".. the day the music died ..."

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yup .. u r right .. 1959 brought changes .. wuz that the year that Buddy, Richie & Bopper went down .. ".. the day the music died ..."
Well, it may have been the day that music died, but Motown was right there baby, and it was strong as hell.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom