OT: - The Flamingos | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: The Flamingos

Reaction Score
My favorite doo wop girl groups are Arlene Smith and The Chantels and Barbara Jean English and the Clickettes. My favorite songs by them were both recorded in 1958: "Whoever You Are" by the Chantels .. and .. "But Not for Me" by the Clickettes, VIZ:

"But Not for Me" can be found at nydoowop dot com - Page 2, Song #16

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I like Mary Wells, and Barbara Mason. But I really loved Barbara Lewis. I still listen to "Hello Stranger" often when I need a fix! :D Shoo bop,shoo bop ,my baby, shoo bop, shoo bop my baby ooh seems like a mighty long time.:cool:

Reaction Score
i m a doo wop aficionado and purist, so much so that i have my own doo wop website with many songs that were suppressed into oblivion by the 'payola' DJs like Alan Freed, Dr Jive et al, and I agree with you about Nate Nelson [his voice]. Altho the Heartbeats w/ Shep are still my favourite group I would have to say that the greatest doo wop album that was ever put together was, "Flamingo Serenade" .. we listened to it constantly in college and brought the girls up to our rooms to slooow dance and make out! VIZ:
View attachment 39744

Zeke Carey,Paul Wilson,Jake Carey, Nate Nelson(seated),Tommy Hunt and Terry Nelson. this is the 58-59 group I think.

Reaction Score
I saw the Cadillacs a few years ago at Mohegan Sun where Earl Carroll was running up and down the aisles singing Speedoo and glad handing the audience. It was great.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I saw the Cadillacs in person at Hartford’s old State Theater in a show that included Clyde McPhatter. I was kinda young and don’t remember the performances.
If you saw Clyde McPhatter perform and you are still alive, you bet you were kinda young.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Zeke Carey,Paul Wilson,Jake Carey, Nate Nelson(seated),Tommy Hunt and Terry Nelson. this is the 58-59 group I think.
Yes, and Terry Nelson is the lead today. That is, the last time I saw them on Public Television he was their leader. When he said he was an original member I did not believe him and then I realized he was the guitar player. He looked completely different and could really sing.

Reaction Score
Yes, and Terry Nelson is the lead today. That is, the last time I saw them on Public Television he was their leader. When he said he was an original member I did not believe him and then I realized he was the guitar player. He looked completely different and could really sing.

Yikes!!! I meant to say Terry Johnson..Sorry Terry. I met him after a show at Foxwoods and picked his brain about the group and all their changes. Very interesting that so many of the singers back in those days sang for several different groups. In many cases the managers robbed these groups blind. It was so sad that these very talented groups were treated this way. Doo Wop is my favorite music by far as i love the beautiful harmonies many songs contained. I have a ridiculous collection of 45's of Doo Wop songs. I also met tony Middleton of the Willows,the Tuneweavers,Harold Winley of the Clovers(bass),Chantels..All are still singing except Jackie has passed, met Shirley Alston Reeves in the buffet at Mohegan Sun. The only thing i wish is that Doo Wop would make a comeback because these great singers won't be here forever.

Reaction Score
I believe it was Jocko. By the way, do you know that lover of this music back in the 1950's hated the term Doo Wop. It was a derogatory term attached to it by some DJ who wanted to belittle the music. Also, most of the record company executives thought the music was a fad and would not last and that is why, or at least one of the reasons why, so few recordings were made of the acts performing live. I don't know if any of the Big Shows were recorded. I never heard WNJR but I do remember hearing about the BRUCE. AM was the thing back then, Hardly anyone listened to FM back then.

Reaction Score
Yes .. it was Jocko, your ace... from outer space... not the duplicator... not the imitator... not the impersonator... but the originator!

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I like Mary Wells, and Barbara Mason. But I really loved Barbara Lewis. I still listen to "Hello Stranger" often when I need a fix! :D Shoo bop,shoo bop ,my baby, shoo bop, shoo bop my baby ooh seems like a mighty long time.:cool:
You should listen to the Queen Latifah and Carrie Lucas versions. I believe they are the two best I ever heard. Did you know that is the Dells singing background on the Barbara Lewis' version?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I’m having the hardest time trying to figure out why you thought up your screen name.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You should listen to the Queen Latifah and Carrie Lucas versions. I believe they are the two best I ever heard. Did you know that is the Dells singing background on the Barbara Lewis' version?
I’m having the hardest time trying to figure what influenced you to use as your BY handle. Rama lama ding dong.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I’m having the hardest time trying to figure what influenced you to use as your BY handle. Rama lama ding dong.
Yes, probably most posters are wondering.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom