OT: - The Flamingos | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The Flamingos

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I saw the thread title and thought this was going to be a thread about recruting violations! (Some of the old timers will get it) ;)

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I'd add Earl Lewis, lead singer of The Channels, to the list of great doo wop singers but let's not forget the ladies: Arlene Smith of the Chantels had some impressive pipes and although I wouldn't call it doo wop, it would be difficult to find a more powerful vocal than Timi Yuro on "Hurt."

Perhaps those with greater computer skills than I possess will post videos of Lewis ("The Closer You Are"), Smith ("Maybe," "He's Gone," Look in My Eyes," et al.,) and Yuro.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Most people remember the Bobby Vinton version of Blue Velvet. However, it was originally released by Tony Bennett in 1951. But, in 1955, The Clovers released what is considered by some, the best version of this song. I love it, but you decide:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'd add Earl Lewis, lead singer of The Channels, to the list of great doo wop singers but let's not forget the ladies: Arlene Smith of the Chantels had some impressive pipes and although I wouldn't call it doo wop, it would be difficult to find a more powerful vocal than Timi Yuro on "Hurt."

Perhaps those with greater computer skills than I possess will post videos of Lewis ("The Closer You Are"), Smith ("Maybe," "He's Gone," Look in My Eyes," et al.,) and Yuro.
"Maybe" this will help.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
The great Southern literary magazine "The Oxford American" used to put out an annual music issue that came with a CD full of great, often obscure songs by great, sometimes obscure artists. Introduced me to tons of music and acts. Here's one of my favorites. Very much of its' time, but damn, what incredible harmonizing...

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Most people remember the Bobby Vinton version of Blue Velvet. However, it was originally released by Tony Bennett in 1951. But, in 1955, The Clovers released what is considered by some, the best version of this song. I love it, but you decide:

That is a beautiful version of a very good song. The Clovers are probably best known for Love Potion #9

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Don't forget the New Haven CT groups! Here's the Nutmegs, acappella

LOL...All my years of listening, and I confess never realizing it is a capella. Well, I'd like to think that's because of how polished was the production.. The alternative is so humiliating.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
That is a beautiful version of a very good song. The Clovers are probably best known for Love Potion #9

A first for me, and I agree. Looking back I don't feel a congruence between Harvey and Moonglows behind him, who also sang this. I have no doubts about the serenity of the Clovers here.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
"Maybe" this will help.

ISWYDT my friend! Perhaps that helped some to remember.

For you:

THE CHANNELS - "THE CLOSER YOU ARE" (1956)

Perhaps those with greater computer skills than I possess will post videos of Lewis ("The Closer You Are"), Smith ("Maybe," "He's Gone," Look in My Eyes," et al.,) and Yuro.[/QUOTE:
LOL...All my years of listening, and I confess never realizing it is a capella. Well, I'd like to think that's because of how polished was the production.. The alternative is so humiliating.
This version was a capella. The original was not and is posted above. So you remain unhumbled, Chief. As if that was ever going to happen!

Reaction Score
And then just a few years later came my second favorite voice from a group. The first "dangerous" singing Will Robinson. A man I had the honor of seeing 5 times in person. Check out how smooth background singers had to be by that time.

One of my favorite songs of all time!

In 1970 ( I was still in high school) I crossed the river and went on a blind date to the Apollo. The highlight was my date was not shy and she ran onto the stage and kissed Smokey pretty full on! Oh to be young...

Bama fan

Reaction Score

Here you are our Golden friend. I really like the Channels version of That's My Desire too.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
A first for me, and I agree. Looking back I don't feel a congruence between Harvey and Moonglows behind him, who also sang this. I have no doubts about the serenity of the Clovers here.
ISWYDT, Chief. Congruence and serenity! Moon jokes and tests,eh? ;)

Bama fan

Reaction Score
You get a pass here Chief. The original version ,which is posted above, had musical accompaniment. The a capella version was done later. So you remain unhumbled, as if you ever could be. :rolleyes:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Freddie Parris and the Five Satins from New Haven. Big hit here

I don’t know if he’s still alive, but Parris lived in my old Hamden neighborhood as of a few years ago. The group cost me a bid to my desired UConn frat. Another frat had a famous rush party where the Five Satins appeared. I couldn’t resist going so passed up a competing party of my favorite. So I didn’t get their bid but got one from the Five Satins frat that I turned down in favor of staying in the brand new Towers

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did anyone on here used to listen to WLAC, in Nashville, Tennessee in the mid to late 1950's? At night when the St. Luois radio stations had closed down for the night I could pick up WLAC and I heard some of the most popular songs in the country that did not come through St. Louis, such as Can I Come Over Tonight by the Velours and Don't Ask Me To Be Lonely by the Dubs. They had four really good dee jays, Gene Nobles, John r, Herman Grizzard, and Hossman. The station did a lot to help R&B music get to be as popular as it became, of course along with Alan Freed. I listened to it every night. By the way Aluminny69, Lee Andrews was one of my favorite lead singers.
I did! Loved it.

Reaction Score
I saw the thread title and thought this was going to be a thread about recruting violations! (Some of the old timers will get it) ;)
Ann Strother...& Pat

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Bobby Lester led on Blue Velvet, not Harvey. Also, wire chief, the hit version by the Nutmegs was not acapella. It was recording in one take like so many others back then. That's why when the lead singer's voice cracked at the end it was not recorded over. Bama fan, I'll always like the original of Oh What A Nite better. We sing that one even today. However, the remake was really, really good. Did you know that Johnny Carter, the Dells first tenor, was an original member of the Flamingos before he got drafted and then joined the Dells after service? You can here him really well on I'll Be Home. His voice was much smoother when he sang with the Flamingos.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom