The first four minutes of the second half put almost gave the game away | The Boneyard

The first four minutes of the second half put almost gave the game away

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Watch the first four minutes of the second half again and tell me why Carlton was on the court. There is no reason he should be on the court for those several possessions unless Whaley is exhausted

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watch the first four minutes of the second half again and tell me why Carlton was on the court. There is no reason he should be on the court unless Whaley is exhausted

He seemed to figure it out late second half. He isn't a player who reacts instinctually... he needs to figure out the game intellectually to understand early enough to make defenaive plays.

Makes me wonder if getting coached up early in the game on the bench would help him

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He seemed to figure it out late second half. He isn't a player who reacts instinctually... he needs to figure out the game intellectually to understand early enough to make defenaive plays.

Makes me wonder if getting coached up early in the game on the bench would help him
It’s on Hurley for playing him

Reaction Score
There are my thoughts from the Carlton thread:
He gets too much flack from folks around here. Everyone played a role today. They WON. They duck**** won. Let's revel in that. Let's be happy for once. They beat a conference rival, at least an opponent we have grown to know as a rival. It's always a tough battle against the bearcats of Cincinnati. This team rose to the occasion today and won proudly, fair and square. And I am damn proud of them!

Reaction Score
He gets too much flack from folks around here. Everyone played a role today. They WON. They duck**** won. Let's revel in that. Let's be happy for once. They beat a conference rival, at least an opponent we have grown to know as a rival. It's always a tough battle against the bearcats of Cincinnati. This team rose to the occasion today and won proudly, fair and square. And I am damn proud of them!
Yes. But the margin was much more slim than it had to be. Josh was awful early in the 2nd half and shouldn’t have been on the floor. Yes we needed him later and he was serviceable. But let’s not lose sight of the fact that we wouldn’t have needed OT if DH has a quicker hook for Josh early in the half.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
At the end of the day he was the only one who could defend Vogt, he executed when it counted, and we won. What is the purpose of your post ?
Yes. But the margin was much more slim than it had to be. Josh was awful early in the 2nd half and shouldn’t have been on the floor. Yes we needed him later and he was serviceable. But let’s not lose sight of the fact that we wouldn’t have needed OT if DH has a quicker hook for Josh early in the half.

Reaction Score
He was dreadful with the turnovers and everything beginning of 2nd half, and I agree wasn't sure why DH stuck with him. Good news is he figured it out and made some big plays down the stretch, good for Josh!

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Geez. People bitch when we lose and find fault when we beat the first place team in the league. A win is a win. Seems like every game some people have to find a culprit no matter the result. Against Tulsa who we ran away from it was Adams. Carlton made the foul shot that was the margin of victory yesterday. If he doesn’t make it , it’s another OT and then we might lose and complain that it was Gilbert’s fault.

Reaction Score
Geez. People bitch when we lose and find fault when we beat the first place team in the league. A win is a win. Seems like every game some people have to find a culprit no matter the result. Against Tulsa who we ran away from it was Adams. Carlton made the foul shot that was the margin of victory yesterday. If he doesn’t make it , it’s another OT and then we might lose and complain that it was Gilbert’s fault.
Would be a pretty boring board if we ignored all the negatives and only talked about winning. Winning is great but always things to improve on

Reaction Score
Carlton got a little nasty and ripped that Cincy big to the ground and got in his head. Did not see much from the Cincy big after that.

Nice to see him toughen up and not play soft. Hurley absolutely did not mind Carlton getting the T, I actually think it made a difference.

Carlton did not back down

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Would be a pretty boring board if we ignored all the negatives and only talked about winning. Winning is great but always things to improve on
Great. That’s the coach’s job. Few games are perfect and damn if we aren’t watchable now in ways we weren't for 4 years. We beat Tulsa and someone wrote we haven't shown we can win a close game after we broke open a close game. Yesterday we win a close game and I guess that was a flop because we didn’t break it open. So now if we had played other players during the first 4 minutes it wouldn’t have been close. We’ll never know.

Picking apart wins is, to me, taking the fun out of winning. I get it, armchair quarterbacking is part of fandom but it used to be reserved for losing. It was not off the wall to bitch about losing close games the same way several times this year, but even then, we could’ve identified 10 other parts of the games that maybe if done differently we aren’t in a position where a Gilbert or Vital makes a mistake that costs us at the end. The unknowable.

Reaction Score
Carlton was in a street fight yesterday and hung in there, and we would not have won that game without him, and that’s with all the things that he didn’t do. Hurley had to use them both yesterday. Whaley had 2 rebounds Carlton 10.

Reaction Score

You’re the most optimistic boneyarder I’ve seen since 09. You love everyone, you’re proud of every player. What is your secret sauce?

Reaction Score
You’re the most optimistic boneyarder I’ve seen since 09. You love everyone, you’re proud of every player. What is your secret sauce?
A good heart. Why rag on the players? There's no reason for it. If you can't be positive I don't want you around me. In every sport I played I was always the loud positive one. Just who I am. Not to say everything Carlton does is great, but he's had some great moments this season and has contributed in ways in their big wins. Can't fret on the bad, it just brings everyone else down.

Reaction Score
I'll tell you mine - enjoy anything positive - even in a loss. As a fan, I support my team and players no matter what. They play for UConn and love the program as much as me. They all work hard and want what we want - to be successful. Why rip them? They are kids playing a game that I love watching. They are human and doing the best they can.
Do I like when they lose? No - but no blame to a bunch of kids. Been my attitude for 40+ years.

Reaction Score
Carlton got a little nasty and ripped that Cincy big to the ground and got in his head. Did not see much from the Cincy big after that.

Nice to see him toughen up and not play soft. Hurley absolutely did not mind Carlton getting the T, I actually think it made a difference.

Carlton did not back down
Haven't seen that from a big in a while. Play physical, don't back down. Doesn't hurt to play angry sometimes. Hit em where it hurts so to speak. Play with a nasty streak. Deter them from thinking they can walk all over you inside. I loved his toughness inside on defense. He fought hard for every rebound. He blocked some shots and altered others. You can see things changing with this team. I was so pumped after yesterdays game. Haven't had that feeling in a LONG time. It really feels like the teams of UConn past. It's impossible not to be optimistic about the remainder of this season. They deserve everything that they're accomplishing right now.

Reaction Score
A good heart. Why rag on the players? There's no reason for it. If you can't be positive I don't want you around me. In every sport I played I was always the loud positive one. Just who I am. Not to say everything Carlton does is great, but he's had some great moments this season and has contributed in ways in their big wins. Can't fret on the bad, it just brings everyone else down.

You know what's crazy about this years team at this point? I can watch a game like yesterdays knowing they played their hearts out yet again and if we can pull it out GREAT, if not that's ok because they just leave it all on the floor. My hands aren't sweaty because the expectations aren't there like they used to be at this point of the season and there's only a chance for maybe the NIT. There is no bubble so I am happy with the effort and the L's aren't heartbreaking. But if they win a couple in a row this week oh crap, may change all that relaxation. Not thinking they will but if so, the palms will be back to the 2014 season like. LOL

Reaction Score
You know what's crazy about this years team at this point? I can watch a game like yesterdays knowing they played their hearts out yet again and if we can pull it out GREAT, if not that's ok because they just leave it all on the floor. My hands aren't sweaty because the expectations aren't there like they used to be at this point of the season and there's only a chance for maybe the NIT. There is no bubble so I am happy with the effort and the L's aren't heartbreaking. But if they win a couple in a row this week oh crap, may change all that relaxation. Not thinking they will but if so, the palms will be back to the 2014 season like. LOL
I was sweating and shaking jumping up and down in my seat. I've got knots in my shoulder blade from clapping so damn much yesterday. It was freaking exciting!! The crowd was into it and you could tell the players on the court were as well. I think they fed off the crowd. That's what home court advantage can do. It hasn't been like that in a while. This team has a full head of steam right now. Wednesday's game at SMU should give us a better indication of just where this team is currently. UConn coming off a big win against conference leader Cinci and SMU coming off a tough loss to Temple. One game at a time!!

Reaction Score
I was sweating and shaking jumping up and down in my seat. I've got knots in my shoulder blade from clapping so damn much yesterday. It was freaking exciting!! The crowd was into it and you could tell the players on the court were as well. I think they fed off the crowd. That's what home court advantage can do. It hasn't been like that in a while. This team has a full head of steam right now. Wednesday's game at SMU should give us a better indication of just where this team is currently. UConn coming off a big win against conference leader Cinci and SMU coming off a tough loss to Temple. One game at a time!!

I'm glad you were the BNich and I am sure the team is too!! Nice job...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Watch the first four minutes of the second half again and tell me why Carlton was on the court. There is no reason he should be on the court unless Whaley is exhausted

This again? He was on the court because CInci has a 7'1" 265 pound center who eats Whaley alive. In the prior game, Carlton got early foul trouble and Vogt put up 19 points on us (on 8-10 shooting). Carlton is the only guy on the roster that can guard him. When Whaley played well in the first half, it was when Vogt went to the bench. We saw it in the second half when Carlton sat, Vogt scored easily on consecutive possessions. Hurley wanted to get Whaley in so played him with Carlton for a stretch.

Carlton's defense is one of the main reasons we won yesterday and everybody is complaining about him. He had 10 rebounds and 2 blocks. He missed too many shots, especially his annoying tip back attempts. But Vogt was 5-8 for 10 points and I think 3 of his made baskets were against Whaley.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The blend of minutes between Carlton and Whaley is entirely dependent on opposing team's physical size.

Whaley can't handle the bigger players.

My problem is Hurley integrated Josh in to offense with high screen hand offs and being a passer. I want him down on the blocks and only shooting put backs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom