The fickleness of our fanbase | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The fickleness of our fanbase

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I already bought my tickets with a group of 40 people so I can't back out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Fickleness? Some are underestimating the level of suck these past two seasons. Last year was blamed on a new system and a walk-on QB. Well, the system isn't new and no one can be complaining about the QB play after the NC State game. Which leads me to the next point. UConn didn't get into this to be a bottom feeder, or at least that's what we were sold. I for one am holding them to their promise of big boy football and as a top public "University of" with a history of athletic success the status and direction of the FB program under the current leadership is so far from acceptable a change has to be made.

PP was brought in to buoy the program knowing we had to consolidate the early success. Well, not only did that not happen it has tanked. So now were are stuck with an old staff knowingly on their last job and if they do manage to turn it around in the next season or (my gosh) two, then what? They retire and we start over again. Rip the band aid off and get back at it.

Anyone looking to play the overeacting card will need to name the successful program that has losses like these the last two seasons: Vandy, ISU, W. Mich (x2), Pitt, Temple, Syracuse, Rutgers, USF. We don't need to be Ohio State, but we shouldn't be Minnesota either.

Reaction Score
Not going to games when the team is down or the coaching staff sucks (or both) is the very definition of a front runner or fair weather fan. Spin it any way you want.

this is wrong. Fans are fans. I am a fan and have had 12 season season tickets since 2003. went from all friends to friends with kids, bringing 7-12 years olds to the games. No one wants to go now. I can't give my tickets away to friends, family members. The Red Cross wouldn't even take them (I kid). at some point it comes down to what would you rather do with 5-6 hours of your life (or more) and more and more people are choosing to not go see a horrid football team that plays an incredibly boring and frustrating style of play with little to no hope that the future will be better.

only diehards and family memebers are going to go to see that. Not everyone goes to see a bad movie or play. in fact, they usually have very short runs before they are shut down. This program sold out every game and averaged over 95% capacity more than once. its now in the 80% range and declining fast. Don't blame the "fans" becasue its jsut human nature. Why spend your free time and money on something that is not in the least enjoyable?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
this is wrong. Fans are fans. I am a fan and have had 12 season season tickets since 2003. went from all friends to friends with kids, bringing 7-12 years olds to the games. No one wants to go now. I can't give my tickets away to friends, family members. The Red Cross wouldn't even take them (I kid). at some point it comes down to what would you rather do with 5-6 hours of your life (or more) and more and more people are choosing to not go see a horrid football team that plays an incredibly boring and frustrating style of play with little to no hope that the future will be better.

only diehards and family memebers are going to go to see that. Not everyone goes to see a bad movie or play. in fact, they usually have very short runs before they are shut down. This program sold out every game and averaged over 95% capacity more than once. its now in the 80% range and declining fast. Don't blame the "fans" becasue its jsut human nature. Why spend your free time and money on something that is not in the least enjoyable?

Right so only fans when things are good. You aren't disagreeing.

Reaction Score

Which really means that they aren't "fans" in the truest sense of the word. Not that I think they are wrong for not wanting to go. Of course we will lose the casual fans when we aren't winning.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Which really means that they aren't "fans" in the truest sense of the word. Not that I think they are wrong for not wanting to go. Of course we will lose the casual fans when we aren't winning.

Right - my original post in this thread was my surprise about the number of people who post here who are talking about not going. I know the casual fans bail - I'm surprised so many here are willing to walk away from attending.

Reaction Score
I already bought my tickets with a group of 40 people so I can't back out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Therapy group? If so do you have room for one more?

Reaction Score
Here's why things feel so bleak. Normally I could tolerate a thread like this. Right now it just feels like salt in the wounds.

To invoke the Edsall crap tearing him down is just pure ignorance and hatred. I hope all those who wanted Edsall gone are happy. Yes he left on his own terms but I'm hearing if any one of us worked for Hathaway we would have stepped in front of a train.

For those who hang on to the way he left and minimize all he did for this program....not much can be said. We could have been in the mode we are now 10 years ago and never come out of it.

Nelson....you've been tolerable for some time now....don't go back to being so hateful about Edsall. We know how you feel about him. Time to let go.

I have tickets for the next 2 games. I will be there. Next year I will pick and choose what games I go to. My guess is all of them. Though I don't know why I would want to see Michigan hang 50 on us when we score 6.

We have some good young talent on defense but they are just that...young. You don't just Replace Gratz, Wilson, Trevardo, Jory, Shamar and Moore and not miss a beat. It ccould be real ugly next year.

I still hold out hope that Warde has a clue.

Reaction Score
Back to your original post. You go to support the team and the kids - most of all the kids. They came and were proud to wear the blue and the C. Can't let them down.

Reaction Score
I actually thought Waquiot had the best post here - he's going to the game because he never really considered not going.

That's where I'm at. I'm no longer LOOKING FORWARD to going to the game. But the reality is, I've got another option for Friday night and still never even considered that I wouldn't go. Part of it is that I do genuinely feel like the UConn football fans are my extended family, and can't pass up a chance to get together, outside, and shoot the breeze and watch some football for two final times before a long, hopefully optimistic, offseason.

Reaction Score

ummm, things have no exactly been "good" for most of the past 10 years. My point is the program ahs a chieved a level where even loyal fans are not interested anymore

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
just remember this thread a couple years from now when this program is back to being a good one with a new hc and w/e. when we only have 35k at the rent to play lville and ppl here post pics of it not sold out and are wondering why. my answer will be becuase a couple big heads here ripped all our faithful casual fans for being front runners back in 2012. so they decided that ppl who like uconn fball aren't worth there time just like the product on the field back then and they found a new hobby on saturdays in the fall or some one else to root for etc.

front runner fans root for teams that win a lot and are always good or great and dont show up when they are bad. maybe im wrong here but when the were we ever ever ever good enough to where we can think that we have front runner fans in our fanbase? the bcs bowl? we won 8 games that year. dont get me wrong i love that year etc but we wern't and never were a power house team or just a high winning team.

we have a ton of causal fans who go for many different reasons to games. the sturggle has been converting them to die hards and randoms/1 timers to casual. thats how u build a fanbase. so while some ppl continue to hate on "front runners" aka the casual fans by telling them what to do with there $ and time, i'll continue to make twitter posts, do recruiting charts and other stuff that causal fans seem to enjoy and hopefully many more come out of the woodwork and join the die hard fanbase. some of my favorite posters here have within the last year joined up and been great to be around on here.

every time one of u posts hating on any type of fan uconn has, your the loser becuase every fan uconn has wether its a die hard or a bc troll is another ticket sold or tv viewer in a area or other things....

Reaction Score
Edsall wasn't perfect, and he irritated the crap out of me. But we were never this up with this level of talent under him.

With Edsall we beat Temple and WMU, the Rutgers game is closer and we beat USF.

This is a bowl caliber team that is staying home.

We may have a C offensive line, but DeLeone is making them into an F.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I know I complain a lot on the Boneyard (who doesn't?) but I'll be there Friday and I will be there for Cincy.

My group of 8-10 that I go with....well, that will be TBD.

Reaction Score
My wife is having surgery on Friday, and I'm still probably going.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
just remember this thread a couple years from now when this program is back to being a good one with a new hc and w/e. when we only have 35k at the rent to play lville and ppl here post pics of it not sold out and are wondering why. my answer will be becuase a couple big heads here ripped all our faithful casual fans for being front runners back in 2012. so they decided that ppl who like uconn fball aren't worth there time just like the product on the field back then and they found a new hobby on saturdays in the fall or some one else to root for etc.

front runner fans root for teams that win a lot and are always good or great and dont show up when they are bad. maybe im wrong here but when the **** were we ever ever ever good enough to where we can think that we have front runner fans in our fanbase? the bcs bowl? we won 8 ****ing games that year. dont get me wrong i love that year etc but we wern't and never were a power house team or just a high winning team.

we have a ton of causal fans who go for many different reasons to games. the sturggle has been converting them to die hards and randoms/1 timers to casual. thats how u build a fanbase. so while some ppl continue to hate on "front runners" aka the casual fans by telling them what to do with there $ and time, i'll continue to make twitter posts, do recruiting charts and other stuff that causal fans seem to enjoy and hopefully many more come out of the woodwork and join the die hard fanbase. some of my favorite posters here have within the last year joined up and been great to be around on here.

every time one of u posts hating on any type of fan uconn has, your the loser becuase every fan uconn has wether its a die hard or a bc troll is another ticket sold or tv viewer in a area or other things....

Yep you are getting even more clueless.

The thread is about the posters here who in theory represent the die hard fans. The one who look forward to signing day. The ones who argue about television contracts. The ones who obsess over conference realignment.

If it turns out they stop showing up they are fair weather front running fans. Sorry that you can't grasp the difference between those that have publicly declared how hardy they are as fans and those that show up for a few drinks and some fun.

I know you think the administration is too stupid to understand the travesty on the field if people stop coming to the games - but they aren't. And people staying home after 2 rough seasons only gives evidence to those who claim we aren't big time.

Reaction Score
ummm, things have no exactly been "good" for most of the past 10 years. My point is the program ahs a chieved a level where even loyal fans are not interested anymore

I think our disagreement lies with the definition of loyal fans.

Reaction Score
We have fans who look down on the Minnesota Golden Gophers football team? They may not be elite at the moment, but they do have multiple national championships. Also....

http://www.mndaily.com/blogs/upon-f...ophers-rank-45th-national-football-attendance

And here we have fans talking about bailing on the team. From my point of view, I am just grateful we have an FBS level team (finally!) and have historic wins at this level already. I'd rather just shut up and go. Anyone want to give up a ticket for the game on Friday? I'll gladly take it.

(We should have won that game against Temple!)

Reaction Score
Sportsart was correct when he invoked the "difficulty in working for Hathaway" issue as a cause for RE's leaving. What I heard from an inside source (and had not heard heretofore) was that Hathaway was the major reason for RE leaving. In fact it was declared as the real reason he left in the dark of night after the Fiesta Bowl--something very specific between them. I don't excuse his method of leaving, but the info about the Maryland AD insisting he had to come at that moment or lose the job is patently incorrect.

Reaction Score
all these ppl who dont show up, i bet 90% of them watch on tv so they are still supporting, just less $$ wise which the school will see the trend. please stop with the front runner bs. u can't tell other ppl how to spend there money. they dont like the rpoduct so they wont pay for it. simple. they aren't front running, they are picking what to spend $ on. front running is a yankee fan who goes to 2 summer games a year and come september starts talking about baseball. then until the next summer when the yanks and mets play he doesn't say a word about baseball.

Dan -- no one is telling you you have to spend your money going to games. If you think that is what they are saying, you need to read more carefully. On the other hand, whether or not you go to games will invariably effect how people view you as a fan. Whether you have reasons for not going or not.

Reaction Score
i see stars falling in line that this school may be going down a $ issue road and they are currently about to **** them selves money wise in doing so by making bad decisions. if you spend 10 dollars in year 1 and in year 12 you can either spend 3 more dollars to take the product to the next level(invest in long term sucess) or spend no dollars and let the initial investment go to waste, which one are you going to do?

Right on the money. Small thinkers, weak leaders trying to look good by saving a few bucks instead of making the investments required. They want to take no risk, but think somehow they will reap huge returns. Warde is a small time hire. PP was a low cost, small time hire. Ollie (who I adore) is another hedge hire. The conference debacle also is a symptom of Storrs non leadership failing to get ahead of an obvious unfolding issue.

Anybody who thinks this program is in free fall from a few bad breaks is missing the picture. You have abject incompetence in Storrs from Hathaway onward.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Would that sort of mean the Big East sucked and your hundreds of posts talking about how good it was are contradicted?

How did Edsall do in Big East play other than 2010, when the Big East was terrible.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How did Edsall do in Big East play other than 2010, when the Big East was terrible.

Well from 2007-2009 off the top of my head they were 11-10. How was UConn in the Big East after he left?

I'll answer for you. 3-10 or 4-9.

Here is your test. What's better? 16-12 or 4-9?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Dan -- no one is telling you you have to spend your money going to games. If you think that is what they are saying, you need to read more carefully. On the other hand, whether or not you go to games will invariably effect how people view you as a fan. Whether you have reasons for not going or not.

what am i missing. no one is telling me how to spend my money, but i'm watching diehards tell casual fans how to spend theres or if they dont they are pussys and not uconn fans blah blah? am i not watching that? this argument is that we have "fair weather" fans who are posting things like "im done" or "not going" or "sending my tix back". whaler is calling them front runners. the stance is that those "front running" fans are not worth our time and aren't fans of uconn.

my stance is that no matter casual or diehard fan, they are a type of fan that spends money and time on uconn. both types of fans are key to us building a fanbase. the other side doesn't like these fair weather fans and is calling them out for giving up on this program right now.

when die hards call out casual fans, what your saying is i think u should do xzy with your money and time. if a casual fan doesn't want to watch fball, who the are you to tell him to go watch anyway. there is a reason hes a casual fan and not a diehard. when a diehard starts calling our casual fans front runners and doesn't want them around becuase they are done with this staff, nothing good comes of it.

if your a diehard, go to games and do your thing. if your a casual fan, you do your thing and go to games as u please. thats how the fanhood works. i dont see casual fans posting up here that instead of going to the rent friday night, u guys should all go up the vt and ski all weekend. do u see any posts like that where casual fans tell u to do that and say otherwise you are no good to skiing and suck as a human being? i don't see any posts like that. but i do see diehards telling casual fans they are "front runners" and not worthy of uconn blah blah.

considering the size off this fanbase, its bull for diehard fans to be pooping on casual fans. this isn't bama or michigan. we can't fill 100k stadiums on the easy. we should instead be turning them into diehard fans. calling them out doesn't help that cause. let causal fans be pissed about this staff and not show up or not watch or w/e it is they do to support the program. warde and susan will see the views drop, money stop and act acordingly i hope. the casual fan is how u judge your product value. the diehard fan never stops.

so basically bl, since u joined this mess i ask u whats a front runner? does a team need to be a winner at some point in order to have front running fans? are casual fans all front runners? or is whaler just a clown ass? or am i just the scum of the earth?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Edsall wasn't perfect, and he irritated the crap out of me. But we were never this ****ed up with this level of talent under him.

With Edsall we beat Temple and WMU, the Rutgers game is closer and we beat USF.

This is a bowl caliber team that is staying home.

We may have a C offensive line, but DeLeone is making them into an F.

Well, we didn't actually beat Temple and USF all the time, but we did beat the MAC teams.

I agree on the bowl caliber team staying home. Unacceptable.

I don't think there is any debate that Pasqualoni has sucked, is there? Everything about this program reeks of failure, and when you hire a 60+ year old HC, you aren't signing up for the tear it down/build it up plan. You are signing up for the keep it going and make it better plan. This hire is a train wreck, and Warde is doing everyone associated with the program a disservice by keeping Pasqualoni around beyond this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom