The Expanse | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Expanse

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm about 3/4 of the way thru now, still would definitely recommend it.

It's interesting, several people in this thread really dislike Holden in the TV show. He doesn't bother me, but I'm not a big fan of the book character.

I don't like him because of the actor. He's so goshdarn wooden. He's has a look of perplexed denseness on his face half the time.

Reaction Score
Just caught online that Season 4 of the Expanse wrapped-up production. The Rocinante and her crew will still be the centerpiece of the show and Earth, Mars, and the Belt will be involed; but, the focus, according to the news, is going to shift to a new plant called Illus, which was discovered after the end of Season 3 via the Ring. It will be 10 episides and pulls matieral from the book Cibola Burn, which I have not read, so I know zip and plan to keep it that way until after seeing the show. Amazon has not announced a release date, yet.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Season 2 trailer.... looks pretty damn good>

Looks good. I actually just started Firefly. I'm like at episode 4 or 5 season 1. It's good so far. Entertaining to see young Nathan Fillion (Castle and The Rookie) , Gina Torres (Suits, The Matrix), Morena Baccarin (Deadpool) and an old Ron Glass (Barney Miller). Just saw one with a very young Christina Hendricks from Madman.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I actually just started Firefly.

I really enjoyed that series, too bad it was only 1 season. The movie "Serenity" works fine as a stand alone, I saw it first and then watched the television series.

Reaction Score
Just caught online that Season 4 of the Expanse wrapped-up production. The Rocinante and her crew will still be the centerpiece of the show and Earth, Mars, and the Belt will be involed; but, the focus, according to the news, is going to shift to a new plant called Illus, which was discovered after the end of Season 3 via the Ring. It will be 10 episides and pulls matieral from the book Cibola Burn, which I have not read, so I know zip and plan to keep it that way until after seeing the show. Amazon has not announced a release date, yet.

Cibola Burn was the last book I finished in the series, and I can’t remember any of it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I just finished the 3rd book, Abaddon's Gate. I really didn't like it. The tv series made some fairly significant changes, and I like the tv version much better. The book just really dragged the last 100 or 150 pages or so. I don't like Anna nearly as much in the book as I do the tv character. Bobbi and Avasarala were mentioned a few times but never actually appeared in the book. Ashford's character was just terrible in the book. Not sure I'm going to continue to read the series. I think 5 more books, all of them so far have been 500+ pages, just not worth it if I don't enjoy it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Season 4 trailer. Release date 12/13. Already picked up for Season 5 apparently. I saw a different trailer somewhere else,

Good to hear.

Avasarala got to drop a full on F bomb, no more sensoring.

One of many I'd imagine.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I took a break from the book series for a while, but just started book 4 (Cibola Burn), so for the first time I'm ahead of the television series now.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I finished Cibola Burn and now have started #5--Nemesis Games.

Cibola Burn is fairly different. Some of the books were big in scale, solar system wide. This one is fairly insulated, taking place almost entirely on or around the first new planet explored thru the gate. The Roci crew are front and center. Avasarala and Bobbi are barely there. It seems like they are both going to be major players later, but not in this book.

Just getting started on Nemesis Games, but in this one the Roci team have some down time for ship repairs, so end up splitting up and going 4 different directions. I kinda don't like breaking up the team and going different directions story lines generally speaking.

Reaction Score
I finished Cibola Burn and now have started #5--Nemesis Games.

Cibola Burn is fairly different. Some of the books were big in scale, solar system wide. This one is fairly insulated, taking place almost entirely on or around the first new planet explored thru the gate. The Roci crew are front and center. Avasarala and Bobbi are barely there. It seems like they are both going to be major players later, but not in this book.

Just getting started on Nemesis Games, but in this one the Roci team have some down time for ship repairs, so end up splitting up and going 4 different directions. I kinda don't like breaking up the team and going different directions story lines generally speaking.

Cibola was the last one I finished. I don’t even remember what happened. It wasn’t bad though.

I got half way through Nemesis Games.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cibola was the last one I finished. I don’t even remember what happened. It wasn’t bad though.

I got half way through Nemesis Games.

Yeah, I'm not totally committed to finishing the book series. I think the TV show is better.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Whew! Nemesis Games ends in a fairly massive cliff hanger. The rabbit hole just keeps going deeper and deeper. Probably gonna have to keep going with the series to find out WTH is going on.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I caught the first 2 episodes. Definitely has a bit of a different feel to me. It's a slicker production, but I kinda liked it grittier and scruffier.

This is not new, but there are quite a few departures from the book. That's fine, artistic license. They are already setting up something that was never mentioned until the next book in the series.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm starting up again. I'm fine with the creators making some changes when they adapt something from a book to tv or movie. One HUMONGOUS difference though, changes EVERYTHING. In the book the Belters aren't the settlers of the planets beyond the ring gate, it's the disenfranchised from the inner planets. The whole plot of the next 2 books after this one is about the Belters wanting to shut down the ring gate because they will be completely obsolete if settlement continues unabated. I can't quite remember now, but either they simply can't be on planets with gravity due to their physiology, or they don't have the means for the drug therapy protocols that allow them to adapt to gravity. One way or the other, they were never going to be a part of exploring what lies beyond the gate. Which leads to some extreme responses. I'm not quite sure how they are going to proceed with the tv show given this massive divergence. They mentioned Marcos Inaros already in Ep. 2 I think. He didn't come into play until later in the book series but he's a big player. I don't know how they are going to square what he does if the Belters are also settlers, it doesn't really jive.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Ehh...I didn't really love Season 4. Some of that was due to the plot of what was happening on New Terra being somewhat limited. I can understand that they introduced a fair bit of material from the next book for that reason. I didn't like some of the character arcs though (that were fairly big departures IIRC). Avasarala having a major falling out with her husband over political issues, he stayed in his lane in the literary version. Bobbi and Amos having moments of weakness and feeling sorry for themselves. That's just not them at all. They aren't perfect and they aren't Mary Sues, but self pity is NOT in their DNA. Kinda unfortunate but I think I like the SyFy version of The Expanse better than the Amazon version of it. But at least Prime rescued it from extinction.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
3 episodes of Season 5 were just released. Looks like Amazon is doing the stupid weekly release of episodes thing they did w/ Season 2 of the boys.

It took a long time, but I finally read thru the book series. There are several novellas that are fillers between the novels, I didn't read those. There's another book being released in 2021, I would assume it's the last in the series? I found Inaros to be an enormously irritating character, but once they moved on to Duarte and the Laconians it became more interesting and enjoyable.

Reaction Score
I've been enjoying Season 5 so far. No new episode until January 6th. Not sure why they do this on a pay service.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I've been enjoying Season 5 so far. No new episode until January 6th. Not sure why they do this on a pay service.

No kidding. I don't have Prime currently. I think I'll wait til they finish this season, then sign up again so I can breeze thru it.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed season 5, but Alex’s death was bizarre. It was so bizarre that I had to google it...

'The Expanse': How Alex Kamal Died and Why Cas Anvar is Leaving the Show

He got poochie’d...

the simpsons goodbye GIF

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member