The Expanse | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Expanse

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Bumping this. I thought I saw The Expanse mentioned recently but can't find it. I'm loving Season 3 so far. This series just keeps getting better, which is the opposite of most series in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Bumping this. I thought I saw The Expanse mentioned recently but can't find it. I'm loving Season 3 so far. This series just keeps getting better, which is the opposite of most series in my opinion.

I think it is getting better. One thing they are doing well is making gravity such a factor with the various spacecraft accelerating, there is a limit to how fast you can go before you become a pizza.

There is some cool stuff coming up that I hope they get to this season.

Reaction Score
Just finished the first two seasons, I like it a lot, kind of interested in the books now. Reminds me of Battlestar Galactica, though not quite at that level yet.

Reaction Score
Just finished the first two seasons, I like it a lot, kind of interested in the books now. Reminds me of Battlestar Galactica, though not quite at that level yet.

It’s like Firefly, meets Battlestar Galactica maybe with a little Battletech.

Personally I am more of a Miller guy than Mary Sue James Holden.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It’s like Firefly, meets Battlestar Galactica maybe with a little Battletech.

Personally I am more of a Miller guy than Mary Sue James Holden.

I don't like the actor that plays Holden. Or at least how he plays him. Too wooden and kind of annoying. And waaaay to many dramatic zoolander stares.

Reaction Score
I don't like the actor that plays Holden. Or at least how he plays him. Too wooden and kind of annoying. And waaaay to many dramatic zoolander stares.

I agree. Generally speaking I give them a B-/C+ on casting. I like the characters in the books better.

Avarsala on the show is G rated and tame compared to the books.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
They keep knocking it out of the park each episode. After a major development the previous episode, they did a time jump of about 6 months. They pack so much into each show (starkly contrasted to Legion, which I'm barely still holding onto, which has episode after episode where basically nothing happens). Tonight included a pretty spectacular special effect involving a dare devil/adrenaline junky looking to be the first person to make contact with an alien object. It did not go the way he expected it to I would have to say. Anyway each week just makes me sadder that this was cancelled (and reportedly Netflix has already declined to pick it up, so maybe it's down to Amazon Prime or nothing at this point).

Reaction Score
The last two episodes have been fantastic. The real story is going now, although it has some deviations from the books which is totally fine.

Is David Straithairn on every show now?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The last two episodes have been fantastic. The real story is going now, although it has some deviations from the books which is totally fine. Is David Straithairn on every show now?

Yes.

I'm psyched we get more of Thomas Jane this season. Hope it continues/develops. Note, I haven't read the books.

Did the books have that same time jump we had a few episodes ago?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Anyway each week just makes me sadder that this was cancelled (and reportedly Netflix has already declined to pick it up, so maybe it's down to Amazon Prime or nothing at this point).

It has been picked up by Amazon. Which I'm quite happy about.

Reaction Score
Yes.

I'm psyched we get more of Thomas Jane this season. Hope it continues/develops. Note, I haven't read the books.

Did the books have that same time jump we had a few episodes ago?

I read them so long ago, I can’t recall. I think we went from one book to another with the jump.

Miller is where it is at. I can’t stand Holden along with most Belters. Your life is hard, you live in space, shut up.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
2 part season finale next Wednesday. After going through most of the season at breakneck speed the last 2-3 episodes have slowed down the action considerably, but still interesting. Everything has been centered around the protomolecule gate for several weeks. Rapid deceleration continues to be a major bummer for humans.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Is the Expanse now going to turn into Stargate?

Reaction Score
Is the Expanse now going to turn into Stargate?

Haha. I never thought of it like that. It might be more like Firefly.

The dynamics in the Solar System are about to change bigtime. Mars now has an outdated business model because soon humanity will have access to many more planets. The Belters are the big winners here.

Reaction Score
The finale felt rushed to me. The episode before that one was kind of useless. Seems like they screwed up the pacing.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Have it DVR'd, haven't seen the finale yet. Will read the spoiler posts after I watch it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Middle of the season was better than the end, but still a decent finale. I really enjoyed the interactions between Amos and Anna. I thought it was kinda cool seeing the actor who plays Fancy on Killjoys pop up in this episode.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Way behind, but finally started reading the book series. Leviathan Wakes is thick, kinda intimidated me before I really got going on it. I can't even really remember Season 1 of the TV series now for comparison. Definitely enjoying the book so far after a bit of a slow start.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Way behind, but finally started reading the book series. Leviathan Wakes is thick, kinda intimidated me before I really got going on it. I can't even really remember Season 1 of the TV series now for comparison. Definitely enjoying the book so far after a bit of a slow start.

Happy Amazon picked it up. No idea when they are considering releasing the next installments.

Do you think it's worth reading the books at this point for someone who's just watched the show, but thoroughly enjoy it?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Do you think it's worth reading the books at this point for someone who's just watched the show, but thoroughly enjoy it?

I'm only 100+ pages into the 500+ page first book, so take it with a grain of salt. I'd say yes. I'm sure there's just a ton more depth of character and various intrigue going on, they just couldn't put everything on screen.

Reaction Score
Happy Amazon picked it up. No idea when they are considering releasing the next installments.

I think you might like the books more.

Is the new season on Amazon yet?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I didn't even know there was a book, thanks. I have the series tabbed on my Amazon Prime account.

If you remember, post when the new season comes out. I often forget to check my Prime account in general, so find out only once reviews start coming online.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
OK, thanks, I'll give them a look.

I'm about 3/4 of the way thru now, still would definitely recommend it.

It's interesting, several people in this thread really dislike Holden in the TV show. He doesn't bother me, but I'm not a big fan of the book character.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom