The defensive scheme is garbage. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The defensive scheme is garbage.

Reaction Score
It might help tackling.
Scheme doesn’t change poor tackling, practice does. Unfortunately, that’s hard to do with the restrictions on contact during practice. It’s hard to watch the defense get gashed, but it’s a process. Guys are still learning the system, communication, their reads and responsibilities. They are THINKING, rather then REACTING. You can’t replicate game speed in practice. So, the games become teachable moments. The coaches are still looking for the right pieces to make this scheme work. Changing it will only make them THINK more. And....when you have to THINK as an athlete, you STINK.

Reaction Score
I hated the. 3-3-5 the first time I saw it..thought it was a gimick D that was VERY susceptible to giving up large gIns in the rushing game due to the lack of toys in thenkine and the edge being open; and susceptible to giving up big plays in the passing game due to the possibility of blowing coverages. When Edsall brought in Crocker I was one of the few who spoke out against this BS scheme and was hammered for that stance a little bit. After watching today's game and thinking back to the Villanova game last year on my way home I am even more convinced that the 3-3-5 is a BS gimmick Defense that belongs in youth flag football. Time for Crocker to add a 4th down lineman.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I hated the. 3-3-5 the first time I saw it..thought it was a gimick D that was VERY susceptible to giving up large gIns in the rushing game due to the lack of toys in thenkine and the edge being open; and susceptible to giving up big plays in the passing game due to the possibility of blowing coverages. When Edsall brought in Crocker I was one of the few who spoke out against this BS scheme and was hammered for that stance a little bit. After watching today's game and thinking back to the Villanova game last year on my way home I am even more convinced that the 3-3-5 is a BS gimmick Defense that belongs in youth flag football. Time for Crocker to add a 4th down lineman.

RichRod says hello. And that fourth down lineman will do nothing to change the lack of speed, awareness, or tackling ability.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
meh, I'd rather see the 335 scrapped and see them play a nickel 425. 3 down DL makes it too easy for the RB to get to the 2nd level. If they do stay with 335 they have to find a way to blitz more with DBs on passing downs. Yes there aren't any athletes but the 335 isn't meant to be played vanilla. There has to be an element of attack other wise it just gets picked apart.

Reaction Score
meh, I'd rather see the 335 scrapped and see them play a nickel 425. 3 down DL makes it too easy for the RB to get to the 2nd level. If they do stay with 335 they have to find a way to blitz more with DBs on passing downs. Yes there aren't any athletes but the 335 isn't meant to be played vanilla. There has to be an element of attack other wise it just gets picked apart.

There were fairly consistent blitzes today. They didn't get through. The scheme doesn't fit the personnel to the extent that it requires speed.

Reaction Score
You sure that's guaranteed money?

I’m not but it’s a three year contract @ $300k per - don’t know what termination w/o cause language is (not sure I’ve seen the actual contract out there).

Reaction Score
Scheme doesn’t change poor tackling, practice does.

- I strongly disagree, going with 4 down lineman changes the gap assigments for the entire front 7

-Our two DE's are undersized to be lineman in the 3-3-5 scheme. Add a second interior lineman and that problem is fixed.

-adding a second interior lineman will also free up Fatukasi to be more of a playmaker.

- our LB's lack the playmaking ability required for the 3-3-5. Add a 4th D-linemen, make JJ your MLB (his natural position), and make Hahn and Beavers your 2 outside LB's (speed).

I also strongly reject this notion that we can't change because the 3-3-5 is here for the long run. Screw that Diacoesque bullcrap. Go with the best scheme for our personnel this year and worry about next year next year. If Crocker is worth keeping he should be smart enough to adjust on the fly and find a scheme that fits this team right now. The mandate is to give the team the best chance to win each week.

It's only September. Fix the Defense and beat SMU.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You writing that $900k check or splitting it w/ BlueDogs ;)
Only in football can you vastly underperform and expect to get paid 900K. Crocker's in charge of the D. He gets paid to put a competitive D on the field. That's his job. He's not even close to doing his job. He's producing the worst performing D in the FBS.

Reaction Score
- I strongly disagree, going with 4 down lineman changes the gap assigments for the entire front 7

-Our two DE's are undersized to be lineman in the 3-4 scheme.

-adding a second interior lineman will free up Fatukasi

- our LB are also undersized for the 3-3-5. Add a 4th D-linemen, make JJ your MLB (his natural position), and make Hahn and Beavers your 2 outside LB's (speed).

No 1,000,000 times to changing scheme temporarily. Long term damage not worth minimum short term gain. Your two choices are to stick with it and take your lumps, or move on from Crocker now.

Reaction Score
No 1,000,000 times to changing scheme temporarily. Long term damage not worth minimum short term gain. Your two choices are to stick with it and take your lumps, or move on from Crocker now.

So you want to "tear the defense down to the studs" and build long term. No thanks Red Pants. Half the defense is graduating anyway. And if the changes work why would we go back to the 3-3-5? Why are we suddenly locked into this 3-3-5? Crocker seems like a smart guy, let him expand his repertiore. I like Crocker, and i'm confident he's not a one trick pony. You can't be a one trick pony in football because the game is forever evolving.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So you want to "tear the defense down to the studs" and build long term. No thanks Red Pants. Half the defense is graduating anyway.
what is wrong with you people? if you never want to rebuild again then we will never be good. the amount of short-term gratification some of you require is worrisome.

Reaction Score
what is wrong with you people? if you never want to rebuild again then we will never be good. the amount of short-term gratification some of you require is worrisome.

For God sakes - Winning this year and building long term are not mutually exclusive. Bob Diaco lied to you when he told you that.

Reaction Score
For God sakes - Winning this year and building long term are not mutually exclusive.
they are if you completely change the defensive scheme of the coordinator you hired to run that specific scheme.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Nonsense. When you inherit a sandwich you have nothing else to eat.

Great rebound by O and D in second half. Very optimistic about the future, although this year may be tough to live through at times.

Tough all right. We may already have the only win we're going to get. I picked four, but that's starting to look pretty close to a pipe dream. Perhaps one or maybe two opponents will come in so supremely overconfident that we pull an upset or two, but strictly on paper, we beat nobody left on our schedule, home or away. A couple of 40-60 point drubbings would not surprise me in the least, unless we experience some sudden, miraculous transformation pretty soon.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

The huge gaps you're left with in the 3-3-5 have to get filled by somebody. Unfortunately, our LBs are a weak link, so that doesn't happen, inviting teams to run, or due to the lack of a pass rush, spend all day surveying the field, which turns all QBs into Tom Bradys.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
the 3-3-5 is here to stay. First of all, those of you pining for 4 down linemen, You do realize we only have 3 Interior Linemen in the rotation!!. It's not like we have lots of depth on the d line. Connor Freeborn was the 2nd string DE.

Those looking for different linebackers- here is the whole crew: Stapleton, Diggs, Joseph, Britton, Santana, Hahn and now Beavers took off the redshirt. Again, not so much depth.

Bottom line, Obi. took care of half the field and Williams was underated. The cupboard was not left stocked at any defensive level. The secondary can't keep people in front of them and can't tackle well. That said, they are young and will get better. Crocker has more levels to his scheme but is hamstrung right now. We haven't seen his defense and really won't until some point NEXT year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom