The Courant's Mike Anthony looks at the Huskies' past, present, and future. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Courant's Mike Anthony looks at the Huskies' past, present, and future.

Reaction Score
One player can make all the difference. Had Stevens not left for WNBA UConn would have waltzed to 2019 national championsip. Had Geno better utilized her the year before, they would have won 2018 NC. Things are starting to look up for 2020 and beyond, though both Oregon and Stanford look imposing.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm thrilled ONO is working with weights, yes @oldude she IS the key to how far Uconn goes.
If Anthony uses the BY as his finger in the wind, on any given day he can be really right, really wrong, and off to the nut house.
With poster like you, Coco, Scoop, TonyC, Joepgh, and a dozen others that will give him an accurate assessment of how REAL fans feel about Uc chances.
My only issue is Where is Geno going to house all these incoming players? We have lived in a drought, now the flood gates are open--stand back. I like it!!
Geno said NO we won't be BAD. Well, without the injection of talented players the core 4 and Griffin, I BELIEVE would have taken Uconn to the Elite 8 and who knows beyond that. ONO was that key. But the talent of CW, Walker, DANGERFIELD is exceptional. That's a top level team.
REGARDLESS OF HOW THE PUNDITS SPUN THAT. With the influx of a good BIG, a European, and Griffin it is no longer an IF, it is a certainty. 8 and beyond is our new moto.

Thanks for the nod sir. I appreciate it. :)

Reaction Score
To those who were pooh-pooh'ing those of us who were pointing out how precarious our upcoming season(s) were due to meager recruiting, Coach Geno agreed- with us:

"'Some years you get lucky and some you get unlucky,' Auriemma said. 'But in recruiting, you can’t miss a year and we missed two. It’s put us in a jam. Azura left early which, OK, you can’t fault the kid, but we made too many plans that involved her and never considered her leaving.'”

"...you can't miss a year and we missed two. It's put us in a jam." So Coach Geno saw how bad it was, too. And that might have motivated his late-season and early off-season European trips and scholarship offers. But UConn did register big recruiting misses- and for two years running. He was forced to scramble, and came up with some fixes. But for those who claimed that those of us who were pointing this out, and dismissed our Cassandra utterances with repeated and dismissive "We're doomed's!", Coach Geno was worried, too. He saw two years of missed recruiting.

Perhaps the big reveal here was that he'd convinced himself that Stephens would stay around. When the kid had proved everything she needed to prove on the college level, and with real money beckoning Siren-like, I'm surprised that he would not have seen at least the glimmer of the coming departure.

Let's see what Coach Geno's recruiting looks like for the full year, after two years of misses. We're still looking for Bigs. Or will UConn recruits increasingly come from abroad?
Ok I’m con fused. 19 yes a recruiting miss. What was the other one. 18 willams and ono 17 walker 16 dangerfield. 20 PB NM +.

Reaction Score
Ok I’m con fused. 19 yes a recruiting miss. What was the other one. 18 willams and ono 17 walker 16 dangerfield. 20 PB NM +.

I am guessing he was referring to 17, but is just a guess.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

I'm going to second that guess.

You bring in two McD AAs, the #16, and the #19 (according to HG) players in the class and now we only have one (wo)man standing.

What could have developed into an absolutely killer class just fell short.

Reaction Score
There are those who recognize there were recruiting misses and there are those who thinks this reveals a fault in recruiting, rather than the variables of an uncertain business that always occur. I don't see where this piece vindicates the latter, but rather condemns them. If you were thinking "Stevens staying only one year and missing out on other bigs hurts us," well, yes, Auriemma and Anthony agrees. This article vindicates you. Pat yourself on the back, though I suspect the great majority of BYers felt this. On the other hand, if you were thinking "Auriemma is flawed in his recruiting approach, the misses are his fault," this does not vindicate you at all. Don't pat yourself on the back.

As for eebmg's point about defense. I hear you and agree that's likely what goes through Auriemma's head. However, a legitimate center provides "defense" without really trying. An excellent thief causes the opposing offense to play better to compensate. An excellent thief is not going to turn the tide against the best offenses. However, an excellent shot-blocker forces the opposing offense to play differently than they would otherwise. I understand what lies behind Auriemma's reluctance in utilizing Stevens or ONO in those last quarter losses to Notre Dame. He could not trust them to play the defense he wanted. Yet I would suggest they still gave us a better defense to disrupt the opponent's offense over having better technical defenders in there. Even though players like G. Williams, Nurse and Collier might be considered the best technical defenders on the team and/or the country, they are not going to change what the opponents wants to do as much as a competent center.

Yet Auriemma has a program to run, pressures to perform and promises to keep for what he tells recruits how they must practice and what will happen if they come here. Most programs would consider losing the battle of a regular season game as acceptable, if it contributes to winning the war of a National Championship. It could be that we are beyond that as a program. Losing occasional championships are acceptable, if it contributes to a dynastic program that always goes to the Final Four and still wins championships when the stars align properly.
Huh? Uconn fans, at least those that have been fans for 10 to 30 years have lived through ups and downs, wins and losses. NC's and no Nc's and yes FF or no FF's. That's not new to long time fans. \
No need to lecture us on the wins and losses in recruiting that too has been with us a long time.
Each year I HOPE for an Elite 8, desire a FF, and envision an NC. None are a guarantee--that's why EVEN a Geno led team has to play it.
With Geno, no loss is acceptable. It is endured. Geno, as many Byer's hates to lose. Yet, even Geno knows a loss may happen--never to be liked but it happens.
Wining and losing the Geno way is done by the STARs if those stars include players like CW, ONO, Dangerfield, Walker, KLS, Napheesa, Gabby, Kia, Kiah, Stew--you get the idea. When THOSE STARs are aligned Uconn always wins.

Reaction Score
What a wonderful and insightful article by Mike Anthony. Every visitor to the Boneyard especially the regulars should take a few moments to read this. Thanks much Sluconn. It puts things in proper perspective going forward.
Come on @Scoop you knew most of that. It was a good article but except the Steven thing, most of us suspected that. People of your know who, know what, know where; most likely knew or suspected most of what was in that piece. It may have just confirmed your thoughts. Never the less a nice find by Sluconn

Reaction Score
I'm going to second that guess.

You bring in two McD AAs, the #16, and the #19 (according to HG) players in the class and now we only have one (wo)man standing.

What could have developed into an absolutely killer class just fell short.
Ya I still think if we had gotten Boston all would be good.

Reaction Score

I've not been happy with the Courant's coverage lately, but at least this Courant reporter actually interviewed the coach and has some information for us that we haven't heard before.

Geno Auriemma... said, “I think we’re going to be OK.”... "I don't think we're going to be bad."

“People are already in a panic and my feeling was like, ‘Yo, we have three starters back from a team that won 35 games,” Auriemma said. “They’re not going to be worse. They say, ‘You’re not going to win a national championship.’ Well, we didn’t win one this year, either. So what are you trying to say? Unless we win a national championship we have a dog ass team?”
Geno obviously reads the wrong posters on the BY. Some of us have been saying these core 4 plus 1 could get to the Elite 8 and maybe beyond. Also Geno --said (paraphrasing) No we are not a bad team.
With fans as with all others only YOU can make YOU happy!!

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

Maybe. Or she could have transferred out by Christmas. Or fallen on a patch of ice on her way to Werth, torn her ACL, and never quite recovered. Who knows?

The ifs and buts game is hard for players we never actually signed.

Just keep looking at who we have and who we could still get.

Reaction Score
While I believe Z and Geno had an understanding that she would play at UConn for 2 years after her redshirt year, it’s hard to say that her decision was not rational. She had earned her degree and was projected as a top 10 draft choice in the W.

As for Boston, that continues to be a head scratcher that I don’t think we will ever completely understand.
I cannot fault Z, and you didn't either, for making a choice to leave. She was playing out of her former "natural" position. She was a great scoring machine, but not so as a defender. I'm not sure a player of her caliber wants to be in perpetual "learning" mode. Yes, learning never ends but some want to feel more like a senior than a frosh. Obviously, you or I will never know what went through her brain at that time. I wished her luck then and now. In no way do I disrespect her choice.
Boston? I didn't count her a Uconn until she arrived--as I do most who are "shoe-ins" for Uconn. Too many guaranteed Uconn became ND's or Ms or Louisvilles or etc.

Reaction Score
Maybe. Or she could have transferred out by Christmas. Or fallen on a patch of ice on her way to Werth, torn her ACL, and never quite recovered. Who knows?

The ifs and buts game is hard for players we never actually signed.

Just keep looking at who we have and who we could still get.
Yes you are right. Guess what I meant was all the complaints of poor recruiting or lack of recruiting bigs would be gone

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

If we can get Hanna Gusters to come aboard in the fall of 2020, I’d be just as happy as if we had signed Boston. I thought we had Boston for sure, just like I assumed Stevens was coming back that next year. I was not a happy camper when Boston decided to go in another direction, or when Stevens left. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Huh? Uconn fans, at least those that have been fans for 10 to 30 years have lived through ups and downs, wins and losses. NC's and no Nc's and yes FF or no FF's. That's not new to long time fans. \
No need to lecture us on the wins and losses in recruiting that too has been with us a long time.
Each year I HOPE for an Elite 8, desire a FF, and envision an NC. None are a guarantee--that's why EVEN a Geno led team has to play it.
With Geno, no loss is acceptable. It is endured. Geno, as many Byer's hates to lose. Yet, even Geno knows a loss may happen--never to be liked but it happens.
Wining and losing the Geno way is done by the STARs if those stars include players like CW, ONO, Dangerfield, Walker, KLS, Napheesa, Gabby, Kia, Kiah, Stew--you get the idea. When THOSE STARs are aligned Uconn always wins.
I believe if you read your post carefully, with some detachment, you will note the stern, "lecturing" quality of if. Now I don't usually get into discussions with a person who accuses others of doing what they themselves do, that generally leads to catastrophe, but my confusion gets the better of me. Since there is nothing in my post that refutes the statement you made, indeed most of it makes the same point, I am not sure what you are lecturing me about.

Reaction Score
If we can get Hanna Gusters to come aboard in the fall of 2020, I’d be just as happy as if we had signed Boston. I thought we had Boston for sure, just like I assumed Stevens was coming back that next year. I was not a happy camper when Boston decided to go in another direction, or when Stevens left. :(
I think we might be just half way thru 20 recruiting. I think 21 could be great too. Who wouldn’t want to play with PB?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

He could've added '16 to that as well, but he seems to think UConn was expecting Bent and Irwin to be back-of-the-bench types. Assuming that's even true, it left UConn with one legit contributor in Dangerfield. I doubt UConn wanted a class with one contributor.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Really enjoyed the article. Lots of great quotes etc. from the coach. One paragraph stood out to me:

Only Walker, who has developed nicely, stuck. Andra Espinoza-Hunter was shown the door and transferred to Mississippi State, where she has become a solid player (and maybe Auriemma would re-think that decision now, despite being so frustrated with her approach as a freshman). Lexi Gordon transferred to Texas Tech and just last week Mikayla Coombs announced she would transfer, too. Neither were difference makers.

His line - Espinosa-Hunter was "shown the door". Basically same thing that happened with Sadie Edwards (the guard Geno was caught on tape calling her "lazy" before she even got to Storrs). I basically said that in another thread (I said they were dismissed from the team), some posters felt my comments should't have been made. But it's the truth...

So here we have a respected writer saying basically the same thing, right after he interviews Geno. I get that sometimes people may wish that WCBB is all puppies and kitties, but it's not, and posters commenting that the coach wanted certain players out is not heresy.

Reaction Score
No matter where she goes, I think Gusters is going to be a better player than Boston. Not impressed with Boston’s ability to run the floor and have doubts about her motor. Just MO.

Reaction Score
Stevens leaving definitely hurt this past season, but helped this upcoming season (and the next). Walker and ONO would not have gotten the minutes they did. You can practice all you want, but until you get in real game situations, you don't get the feel of why you practice the things you do. That's why I'm frustrating when Geno does not play his bench even when he doesn't want to.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Stevens leaving definitely hurt this past season, but helped this upcoming season (and the next). Walker and ONO would not have gotten the minutes they did. You can practice all you want, but until you get in real game situations, you don't get the feel of why you practice the things you do. That's why I'm frustrating when Geno does not play his bench even when he doesn't want to.

Having Stevens would've prevented Collier from having to log nearly 34 minutes a game. In fact, if you reduced both Collier and KLS's minutes, you don't really effect Walker or ONO all that much, the latter of whom only played 14 per game anyway. Would Walker have been adversely affected by playing 25 minutes instead of 31?

Reaction Score
I believe if you read your post carefully, with some detachment, you will note the stern, "lecturing" quality of if. Now I don't usually get into discussions with a person who accuses others of doing what they themselves do, that generally leads to catastrophe, but my confusion gets the better of me. Since there is nothing in my post that refutes the statement you made, indeed most of it makes the same point, I am not sure what you are lecturing me about.
Making a leap here. Lecturing, as most things, is in the mind of the beholder. If stating facts is lecturing then I was lecturing. I was stating the facts of following this team for decades with the wins, losses, recruits or no recruits, FF'or no FF's. We who followed them are seeing nothing new in not getting specific recruits. When you think Uconn is down, wait they tend to always surprise us.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
If Anthony uses the BY as his finger in the wind, on any given day he can be really right, really wrong, and off to the nut house.
You pounded that nail on the head.

Also makes me think of my workplace. . . .

Reaction Score
You pounded that nail on the head.

Also makes me think of my workplace. . . .
I didn't pound that nail with my head--that's my normal--HUh what did he say? I worked in a lot of psychiatric hospitals, or was committed--one never knows which.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom