The Courant's Mike Anthony looks at the Huskies' past, present, and future. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Courant's Mike Anthony looks at the Huskies' past, present, and future.

Reaction Score
Like the year before, Geno and especially the fans questioning his substitution decisions. If he leaves Ono in the game, is the outcome different? I think this years experienced ND team was better then this years UConn team, despite the early season win. ND had player(s) that can score points in crunch time. Fans had similar questions on why he didn't play Z more down the stretch the year prior. Both decisions seemed to change the outcome of both games. For last years team, I do believe if Geno plays Z more in the 4th quarter, UConn wins that game and ultimately the National Championship.
Like you and others, I believe that UConn should have won the '18 semifinal. When Z came in in the 1st half, UConn outscored ND 30-17 for the rest of the half. I think she had 10 points and 7 rebounds. It was not the 4th quarter that Geno didn't play her, but the third, until there was 3:30 to go in the quarter. She scored 7 points in those remaining few minutes. She played the 4th quarter, but only 2 minutes in the OT. I really think that all was a factor in her not returning. Like Geno said, can't blame her, but not for the same reason that Geno thought.

Reaction Score
This was needed and Mikee and Geno has given us great information and perspective. I'm reading the article and this "little" diddy started running as background music:

Thank you for sharing. Wasn’t familiar with the artist or song - both are incredible!

Reaction Score
Thanks. You're right, most long time fans were already aware of what was contained/mentioned in his piece. We get a lot of posts here from fans with varying degrees/amounts of WCBB knowledge and UConn WBB knowledge. We're getting new "converts" everyday. Some of them complain about thus and so, without knowing some of the underlying facts or dynamics about subject their complaint/concern.

For example - Look at the comments concerning UConn's recruiting the last 3 years. We ALL see the result, but some don't really understand the why or the how. Recruiting is an art of which the dynamics are constantly changing. You can't use the tactics or philosophy you used 10 years ago, or even 5 years ago.

The "elite" 18 year olds today don't think or perceive college basketball like they did 5-10 years ago. The game has changed, and you had better change with it, or get run over and "scooped" on coveted recruits by over zealous/aggressive coaches. Look at how Duke's men's basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski had to adjust to the "one-and-done" concept that has recently become pervasive in men's college basketball. He didn't like it, but he had to adapt if he wanted to remain competitive.

If you really consider yourself a WCBB fan, and especially a UConn WBB fan, you've got to spend some time here in the yard to expose yourself to information about this program that you will not find anywhere else. Listen and watch every radio and TV show that Geno is on If you want to know what and how he thinks. He'll tell you if you watch and listen.

That's why some of the older fans here know his tendencies and his thinking. They've been watching and listening to him for years. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. We have some posters here that are closely connected to the program. I can tell by what they write, and the vantage point of those comments. No names here, but they've posted comments that was not common knowledge. I haven't been keeping track, but most of them are batting 1.000. How they know, I don't know, but they know. If you're here long enough, you'll figure out who they are.

Everything I know and have learned about UConn WBB, I've learned in the yard. I'm here everyday. Those of us out here on the west coast get ZERO news/information about teams on the east coast. We've got 9 professional and major college teams here that get all of the media's attention and loyalty.

I don't do any other social media. I'm not addicted to facebook , twitter or instagram. I see poor souls everyday driving in their cars with the wheel in one hand, and their cell phone in the other (they can't put their phone down for a moment) reading and responding to text messages. You see it too. When you're at a stoplight, the odds are better than 50-50 the person in the car next to you will be looking down at their cell phone. SMH. :oops:My biggest fear is....... having one of them run in to me because they were paying more attention to their cell phone, than where they were going.

Sometimes I like to read articles like this one that reminds to stay far enough back from the action so that I can see the entire forest, and not just the few trees that may be obscuring my view. :)
Wow, again a home run. Lots to digest. Geno is ALMOST a constant. But he changes and modifies how he thinks what he does. I get a kick out of those who says OF ANYONE they changed their mind or process. Intelligent people CHANGE. So does Geno. Geno won't take transfers has been has been reported. No he doesn't until he needs them. Geno will never ever ever play the Vols--until it suits him. Geno is human. Geno shoots from the lip. His every word is NOT to be written in stone. He has modified his methods of handling recruits over the years, he's still tough but not AS tough. Too often long time fans get raked over the hot coals for stating the truths about Geno. If you listen to Geno over the years you will hear his views on many subjects and many times with opposite views. He's not a puppet or robot or clone, he has faults and foibles as all do. His ever decision is not perfection, but obviously better than his peers. Luckily he has surrounded himself with great women, stating with Kathy and Chris Dailey.
I have read and followed Geno before 1995 all the time on CPTV--called into his program often. Attended all the early games on Campus and at the "Civic Center" until I found a less taxy state. Read every word he spoke in the Courant. Participated in the Uconn blogs in the Courant until they got too nasty. And listened to his first and others Connecticut Capital Steps words---I still cringe when I recall his telling a huge crowd--we'll be back here next year, he and they weren't. He gets caught up in the moment as many of us do.
Again @Scoop, and @Tonyc good words good thought well expressed, thanks.

Reaction Score
I cannot fault Z, and you didn't either, for making a choice to leave. She was playing out of her former "natural" position. She was a great scoring machine, but not so as a defender. I'm not sure a player of her caliber wants to be in perpetual "learning" mode. Yes, learning never ends but some want to feel more like a senior than a frosh. Obviously, you or I will never know what went through her brain at that time. I wished her luck then and now. In no way do I disrespect her choice.
Boston? I didn't count her a Uconn until she arrived--as I do most who are "shoe-ins" for Uconn. Too many guaranteed Uconn became ND's or Ms or Louisvilles or etc.

I certainly don't blame AZ for leaving but I do think if she was seriously considering going pro she might have given Geno a head's up which apparently she never did........

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Like you and others, I believe that UConn should have won the '18 semifinal. When Z came in in the 1st half, UConn outscored ND 30-17 for the rest of the half. I think she had 10 points and 7 rebounds. It was not the 4th quarter that Geno didn't play her, but the third, until there was 3:30 to go in the quarter. She scored 7 points in those remaining few minutes. She played the 4th quarter, but only 2 minutes in the OT. I really think that all was a factor in her not returning. Like Geno said, can't blame her, but not for the same reason that Geno thought.
But again, who in their right mind would change the starting lineup of a team that had went the season undefeated and was up by 7 at half time???? One would have to be an idiot to do that.

Reaction Score
Having Stevens would've prevented Collier from having to log nearly 34 minutes a game. In fact, if you reduced both Collier and KLS's minutes, you don't really effect Walker or ONO all that much, the latter of whom only played 14 per game anyway. Would Walker have been adversely affected by playing 25 minutes instead of 31?
Would also have allowed Collier to play small forward instead for forcing her to guard someone 2-4" taller and 20+ lbs heavier. She did ok but would have been even more dominate.

Reaction Score
But again, who in their right mind would change the starting lineup of a team that had went the season undefeated and was up by 7 at half time???? One would have to be an idiot to do that.
because the starting lineup fell way behind in the first half; then Z came in. maybe not start her, but then keep her out that long? I don't think so, and I don't think she did either.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
because the starting lineup fell way behind in the first half; then Z came in. maybe not start her, but then keep her out that long? I don't think so, and I don't think she did either.
I could see bringing her in earlier. But anyone who changed that starting lineup should be fired immediately.

Reaction Score
I could see bringing her in earlier. But anyone who changed that starting lineup should be fired immediately.
yes, she should have been in earlier( it's called going with the hot hand). she easily could have made the difference. then she only played 2 minutes in the OT. all head scratching.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
yes, she should have been in earlier( it's called going with the hot hand). she easily could have made the difference. then she only played 2 minutes in the OT. all head scratching.

Having watched that game the other day, I'd suggest the answers weren't cut and dried. Collier was perhaps UConn's most effective player in the 2nd half so it's not easy arguing to replace her. They weren't taking Gabby out, and I don't think they wanted Dangerfield off the floor late--they needed ball-handling. The one possibility that I doubt entered Geno's mind would've been to put Stevens in for KLS and make a jumbo front court. Considering how badly Lou was struggling to guard in the game it would've been an interesting option. But Geno liked Lou on the floor as much as Gabby.

Reaction Score
Having watched that game the other day, I'd suggest the answers weren't cut and dried. Collier was perhaps UConn's most effective player in the 2nd half so it's not easy arguing to replace her. They weren't taking Gabby out, and I don't think they wanted Dangerfield off the floor late--they needed ball-handling. The one possibility that I doubt entered Geno's mind would've been to put Stevens in for KLS and make a jumbo front court. Considering how badly Lou was struggling to guard in the game it would've been an interesting option. But Geno liked Lou on the floor as much as Gabby.
spread the time among all those players, but since Z was playing so well, try to keep her on the floor. having her on the bench for 6+ minutes in the third quarter, after a monster first half, was inexplicable and inexcusable. wouldn't have hurt any of those players to have a breather.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
spread the time among all those players, but since Z was playing so well, try to keep her on the floor. having her on the bench for 6+ minutes in the third quarter, after a monster first half, was inexplicable and inexcusable. wouldn't have hurt any of those players to have a breather.

Either way, UConn still had a 7-pt lead with 5:30 to go, and Stevens was in the game at that point when ND rallied.

Ogunbowale made some plays that you have to tip your cap to. Also, there were two awful calls in OT that gave ND 4 points at the foul line---might've been the difference.

Reaction Score
If the referees had called the game without blatant bias, UCONN would have won the 2018 semifinal. Notre Dame had 17 more free-throw attempts; for every free-throw attempt for UCONN, ND had nearly 4.

Stevens had relatively hot hands in that game: her 19 points were the second-highest on the team, and she scored at the fastest rate (points per minute played). It’s unfortunate that she didn’t get more playing time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
None of those players needed a breather. They had just come out of halftime. You can put her in for tactical reasons, but not because someone needed a breather.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom