The Core-4 can play | The Boneyard

The Core-4 can play

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I love the way the Core-4 of Kia, Gabby, Lou & Pheeze are playing right now. They have a great feel for each other on the court. They feed off each other with each one capable of stepping up to do whatever is necessary in a game to get the job done.

Last night against 15th ranked Depaul, the Core-4's versatility was on full display with Kia going off for 33 pts to lead the team in scoring, Gabby channeling her inner point forward to dish out 10 assists, Lou crashing the boards for a team leading 7 boards (I guess we got the rebounding Samuelson) and Pheeze leading the team with 4 steals.

With solid play from Saniya & Natalie, what everyone expected to be a tough game, turned into a rout, that was effectively over by the end of the 1st qtr.

Right now, I would take UConn's Core-4 over any 4 players on any other team in the country. Their versatility makes UConn a nightmare for any opposing coach to gameplan for. I really felt sorry for Jim Bruno, who had a look of complete disbelief at what was happening to his team.

BRING ON THE LONGHORNS...

Reaction Score
I love the way the Core-4 of Kia, Gabby, Lou & Pheeze are playing right now. They have a great feel for each other on the court. They feed off each other with each one capable of stepping up to do whatever is necessary in a game to get the job done.

Last night against 15th ranked Depaul, the Core-4's versatility was on full display with Kia going off for 33 pts to lead the team in scoring, Gabby channeling her inner point forward to dish out 10 assists, Lou crashing the boards for a team leading 7 boards (I guess we got the rebounding Samuelson) and Pheeze leading the team with 4 steals.

With solid play from Saniya & Natalie, what everyone expected to be a tough game, turned into a rout, that was effectively over by the end of the 1st qtr.

Right now, I would take UConn's Core-4 over any 4 players on any other team in the country. Their versatility makes UConn a nightmare for any opposing coach to gameplan for. I really felt sorry for Jim Bruno, who had a look of complete disbelief at what was happening to his team.

I absolutely agree! That first quarter was more than I dreamed of. Gino is again a miracle worker. GO GIRLS GO!! They are amazing.

Reaction Score
Right now, I would take UConn's Core-4 overany 4 players on any other team in the country.

Coates, Wilson, Gray and Davis are really, really good. No other foursome is close.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Right now, I would take UConn's Core-4 overany 4 players on any other team in the country.

Coates, Wilson, Gray and Davis are really, really good. No other foursome is close.
Not sure if you're saying that no other foursome is close to either UConn's 4 or SC's 4, which I agree with; or if you are suggesting that UConn's 4 is not close to SC's 4, which I respectfully disagree with.

In any event, barring injury, we will get to compare the two foursomes on Feb 13.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What I saw last nite was a very confident team. They trusted each other and didnt let any mistakes bother them because they had their trust in each other. They won because they played inspired defense. Overwhelming Defense. They are getting better and better each game. The second half of the Chatty game and last nites defense was unbelievable. I will most likely be saying this all season. We are very very quick and we move the ball very very quickly. We're a hand full to guard and when defenses are big and slow we going right around you. I really like our chances over the next couple of games. There are teams with some really good starters, teams with height and really good shooters but their isnt a team that plays defense like UConn and that will be the difference in the up and coming games. After this month the next big game will come against SC in Feb. Thats gonna be a game where quickness faces height. The next couple of games will show us where we're at. Right now in last nites game we are riding high. We must not expect that high every game but we must play like we did every game. It all starts with defense.

Reaction Score
What is amazing to me is that after all of last year's success and excitement, this year might be even more spectacular from an excitement standpoint. The fact that, overall, the competition is better and results are more uncertain, is a boon to the state of women's basketball. No matter what happens from here on, it's a great year for us fans.

Reaction Score
... After this month the next big game will come against SC in Feb. Thats gonna be a game where quickness faces height.
Someone (Tom Peters?) said, "It's not the big that eat the small; it's the fast that eat the slow." (Or words to that effect.)

I like quick. A lot.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What I saw last nite was a very confident team. They trusted each other and didnt let any mistakes bother them because they had their trust in each other. They won because they played inspired defense. Overwhelming Defense. They are getting better and better each game. The second half of the Chatty game and last nites defense was unbelievable. I will most likely be saying this all season. We are very very quick and we move the ball very very quickly. We're a hand full to guard and when defenses are big and slow we going right around you. I really like our chances over the next couple of games. There are teams with some really good starters, teams with height and really good shooters but their isnt a team that plays defense like UConn and that will be the difference in the up and coming games. After this month the next big game will come against SC in Feb. Thats gonna be a game where quickness faces height. The next couple of games will show us where we're at. Right now in last nites game we are riding high. We must not expect that high every game but we must play like we did every game. It all starts with defense.
The defense last night was inspired. Just a few days after Depaul had torched Syracuse by shooting 19/39 from beyond the arc, they shot 7/40 (17.5%) from beyond the arc vs UConn, with a number of their makes coming after Geno had emptied his bench.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
While UConn's Core-4 maybe the most talented and I'm not sure they are, their weakness is size in the low post. Because of that, I would probably choose So Carolina's Core-4 as Coates would probably dominate UConn in the low post and Wilson would get her average. We'll find out when they play.

I'll be watching to see if UConn can control Texas' low post players like they did Baylor's. I am surprised Texas already has 3 losses as they probably should have beaten Stanford and Miss St both losses by double digits. They're not a team to over look, so hopefully team will come out to play like they did last night and in the 2nd half of the Baylor game. Texas is coming into this game with something to prove after the last two tournament losses to UConn. Wouldn't be surprised if the Texas players would be more up for the UConn game compared to the South Carolina game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
While UConn's Core-4 maybe the most talented and I'm not sure they are, their weakness is size in the low post. Because of that, I would probably choose So Carolina's Core-4 as Coates would probably dominate UConn in the low post and Wilson would get her average. We'll find out when they play.

I'll be watching to see if UConn can control Texas' low post players like they did Baylor's. I am surprised Texas already has 3 losses as they probably should have beaten Stanford and Miss St both losses by double digits. They're not a team to over look, so hopefully team will come out to play like they did last night and in the 2nd half of the Baylor game. Texas is coming into this game with something to prove after the last two tournament losses to UConn. Wouldn't be surprised if the Texas players would be more up for the UConn game compared to the South Carolina game.

They may come come in with something to prove, but they'll also come in praying that UConn doesn't have another 37 point outburst in the first (or any) quarter that night. To have a team hang 37 points on you in a single 10 minute quarter is very humbling. A quarter like that shows no fear at all.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I don't disagree with your reasoning, but if you have some time, go to Youtube and take a look at last year's UConn-SC game. What you'll see is Stewie & Tuck continually throwing a little ball fake at Wilson & Coates respectively, getting them off balance and then blowing by them on the dribble. Now I realize that Pheeze & Gabby are not Stewie & Tuck, but they are in fact quicker, so I think they will give SC's bigs fits trying to guard them out on the floor.

At the other end of the court, if UConn lets Coates & Wilson post up down low and receive easy entry passes, it will be a long night for the Huskies, but I don't think they will play them that way. They will front the posts, as they did with Baylor, double the ball when it goes inside and use Natalie as a change up to bang with SC's bigs.

While I believe that Dawn is a really good coach, she's not Geno, and this years game will be played at Gampel in front of a packed house of screaming UConn fans. Advantage = Huskies

As for Texas, they are not as big as they were a year ago with Imani Boyette. I believe they go 6'4" & 6'4" up front. It will be a nice test for these young Huskies, but I think the Huskies prevail by 10+ pts vs Texas at the Mohegan Sun.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score

Unfortunately, the game of basketball is played with 5 players on the floor per team at a time. The 5 I saw looked pretty good, no matter which 5 it was, until garbage time.

Reaction Score
Core 3 can play.
Core 3 is (are?) playing this season.
Core 4 has played one game this season.
We will soon know if Core 4 will continue to play.
The next couple of games will tell us.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Some observations. We've seen the team play tough this year, but it was the first time I've seen this team play angry. Every basket seemed to be a "We need our asses kicked? So take that coach". KLS, for all the criticism Geno gives her, is on the floor as much as any player on the team. She also gets as banged up as any, starting with a small bandage on her right index finger while later rolling her ankle and banging her elbow. KLS continues to turn the ball over while attempting to dribble from the top of the key. She also turned it over early. Usually they occur while dribbling with her right hand. Kia played as if shot out of a cannon from the getty up, playing her most effective north/south game. Sanyia played the best on ball defense I'd ever seen her play. The whole teams on ball defense was the best I've seen this year. The bench support on the team is terrific. Every game. Sometimes I think Kayla may hurt herself. The emotional commitment this team has is as good as any team Geno's had. When Geno said that Saturday practice was terrible and that Kia, Collier and Bent were the only ones putting forth, it showed during fast breaks when Kia and Collier were usually out front. Can't forget Gabby's effort on both ends. She seems to expel the most energy during the game of anyone. Because the team pressed so hard and so well at the arc every turnover was a fast break. DePaul tried but had little success breaking down UConn down off the dribble. The game was effectively over at the 5 min mark of the 1st.

Geno's has commented more than once this year that putting forth the kind of all out effort this team needs to win for 40 mins is hard. He's commented that this team picks and chooses when it want to play hard. Honestly guys, when they play that hard for that long a period, even Dawn's team will be challenged to lose by 10.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Chattanooga and DePaul are coached by outstanding Coaches, who are Geno Auriemma friends. UConn gave Chattanooga and DePaul a beat down. What do you think they are going to do to teams like Texas, Notre Dame, Ohio, Maryland, South Florida and South Carolina? I hope that Muffet McGraw, Brenda Frese and Dawn Staley keep talking and laughing, because I want to witness the smiles disappear from their faces, and I want to hear the pin drop when they are silent.

Reaction Score
I absolutely agree! That first quarter was more than I dreamed of. Gino is again a miracle worker. GO GIRLS GO!! They are amazing.

What DePaul Saw as the Game Began

upload_2016-12-2_14-14-33.png

Yes, that's Kia Nurse running Point.

Reaction Score
I never had any doubts about the core of this team and posted those comments on this forum. What i liked most was their toughness which has been evident from day one from each of them. There are now two X factors emerging, the steady growth of Natalie Butler, and the immediate impact of Crystal Dangerfield. If those two continue on this path, this is certainly a FF team..If they got there would'nt you like their chances?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with your reasoning, but if you have some time, go to Youtube and take a look at last year's UConn-SC game. What you'll see is Stewie & Tuck continually throwing a little ball fake at Wilson & Coates respectively, getting them off balance and then blowing by them on the dribble. Now I realize that Pheeze & Gabby are not Stewie & Tuck, but they are in fact quicker, so I think they will give SC's bigs fits trying to guard them out on the floor.

At the other end of the court, if UConn lets Coates & Wilson post up down low and receive easy entry passes, it will be a long night for the Huskies, but I don't think they will play them that way. They will front the posts, as they did with Baylor, double the ball when it goes inside and use Natalie as a change up to bang with SC's bigs.

While I believe that Dawn is a really good coach, she's not Geno, and this years game will be played at Gampel in front of a packed house of screaming UConn fans. Advantage = Huskies

As for Texas, they are not as big as they were a year ago with Imani Boyette. I believe they go 6'4" & 6'4" up front. It will be a nice test for these young Huskies, but I think the Huskies prevail by 10+ pts vs Texas at the Mohegan Sun.

Another plan of action against Coates & Wilson is to go right at them early in the game, hoping to draw fouls. Don't worry about getting your shot blocked. Drive the lane, and make them protect the rim. They're not going to block everything. You will draw some fouls. Both of them are foul prone, especially Coates. If you can pull the tiger's fangs (teeth), they're not nearly as dangerous. Sit one or both of them down with early foul trouble, and you will level the playing field. I've never seen a player score or block shots while sitting on the bench. :cool:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Chattanooga and DePaul are coached by outstanding Coaches, who are Geno Auriemma friends. UConn gave Chattanooga and DePaul a beat down. What do you think they are going to do to teams like Texas, Notre Dame, Ohio, Maryland, South Florida and South Carolina? I hope that Muffet McGraw, Brenda Frese and Dawn Staley keep talking and laughing, because I want to witness the smiles disappear from their faces, and I want to hear the pin drop when they are silent.
Geno likes Dawn too, who has worked for him as an assistant on USA BBall. As for Muffet & Brenda, that's a horse of a different color.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
When Geno said that Saturday practice was terrible and that Kia, Collier and Bent were the only ones putting forth, it showed during fast breaks when Kia and Collier were usually out front.

Actually, it was a Sunday morning practice, and he said that Kia, Molly, and Gabby were the only ones going at full speed. I rarely notice Napheesa running at full speed -- she seems to do better sizing up the floor and finding her spot. She gets to the right place with stealth rather than speed most of the time. In the sprints at that open practice, neither she nor Lou could begin to compete with Gabby and Kia for sheer foot speed. Molly and Saniya were initially only a few steps behind them, but Saniya basically dropped out of contention after the first lap, while Molly kept pace.

I agree with many of your other comments: DePaul was certainly Saniya's best defensive game. She is good at grabbing loose balls -- very few of those get away from her. I don't think DePaul had the players to test her ability to keep a ballhandler in front of her -- that has always been her defensive weakness. I noticed that she was passing up wide-open 3-point attempts against the DePaul zone. I'm guessing that the coaches have been on her to let the offense develop and not jack up a 3 (even if she hits it) the first time she is open.

It looks to me as if Molly would be quite an accurate jump shooter (at the same level as Kia) if she got the same number of minutes and could take the same number of shots. But she did make some dumb mistakes in the DePaul game, including fouling a player who had just picked off her pass, compounding the error. Of all the players, she seems like the one who would improve the most if she were given enough minutes to do so, but it seems unlikely that she will get as many minutes as she could benefit from.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Actually, it was a Sunday morning practice, and he said that Kia, Molly, and Gabby were the only ones going at full speed. I rarely notice Napheesa running at full speed -- she seems to do better sizing up the floor and finding her spot. She gets to the right place with stealth rather than speed most of the time. In the sprints at that open practice, neither she nor Lou could begin to compete with Gabby and Kia for sheer foot speed. Molly and Saniya were initially only a few steps behind them, but Saniya basically dropped out of contention after the first lap, while Molly kept pace.

I agree with many of your other comments: DePaul was certainly Saniya's best defensive game. She is good at grabbing loose balls -- very few of those get away from her. I don't think DePaul had the players to test her ability to keep a ballhandler in front of her -- that has always been her defensive weakness. I noticed that she was passing up wide-open 3-point attempts against the DePaul zone. I'm guessing that the coaches have been on her to let the offense develop and not jack up a 3 (even if she hits it) the first time she is open.

It looks to me as if Molly would be quite an accurate jump shooter (at the same level as Kia) if she got the same number of minutes and could take the same number of shots. But she did make some dumb mistakes in the DePaul game, including fouling a player who had just picked off her pass, compounding the error. Of all the players, she seems like the one who would improve the most if she were given enough minutes to do so, but it seems unlikely that she will get as many minutes as she could benefit from.
Thanks for the correction. You were there and you would know. I wish Danger took part in that practice.

Reaction Score
Another plan of action against Coates & Wilson is to go right at them early in the game, hoping to draw fouls. Don't worry about getting your shot blocked. Drive the lane, and make them protect the rim. They're not going to block everything. You will draw some fouls. Both of them are foul prone, especially Coates. If you can pull the tiger's fangs (teeth), they're not nearly as dangerous. Sit one or both of them down with early foul trouble, and you will level the playing field. I've never seen a player score or block shots while sitting on the bench. :cool:

I think SC has as much to prove as this current Uconn team does, you can make the arguement they have more to prove.I like they way this team will matchup against bigger teams. You saw it against Baylor their speed and athleticism for the most part negate a huge size advantage... I really like this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom