The committee is a joke | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The committee is a joke

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I am afraid of Maryland the fourth best team in the nation. And UCONN has performed much better then SC. It's the principle best team and best body of work should be rewarded with easiest path and that has not happened!!!
Who says Maryland is the 4th best team in the nation? They lost in Columbus against an Ohio State (not even in the Top 20) team which plays no defense. Who did they beat to make you believe they are 4th best in the country? They certainly have not proven anything on the court to earn such a ranking. Maybe it's just me, but if you haven't beaten anyone in the Top 10, then you don't deserve to be regarded as Top 10.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
if I were Duke, i'd be far more concerned about Oregon than UConn. I think Oregon has what it takes to beat Duke in Durham.

If you were in the other thread... you would have read my concern for the Ducks. I'll be a Temple fan Saturday evening....... rooting for some bird on bird violence...... hope the owls can pull it out... but i wont get my hopes up

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If West Virginia plays the way they did in the B12 Tournament, and we get to the elite eight, they will be waiting, and I like our chances!

I'd love to see us send them packing back to hillbilly land. After the defections from the old Big East, their former AD Oliver Luck wrote the new rules regarding conference exits. Then he broke the rules he wrote to go to the B12, and WVU sues the conference asking the courts to throw out the rules he wrote. Beating them by 40+ would be decidedly enjoyable.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'll tell you what; I'll trade brackets with you and play 50 miles from home and you can go to Stockton. Could they not at least schedule regionals somewhere people want to visit?

They are saving that for next year- Albany.

Reaction Score
Hey all... have you seen this article/discussion from the ESPN "Experts"...(if you trust Charlie Creme, Graham Hayes and Michelle Voepel)... Expert picks: Breaking down the women's bracket

2 teams in our path listed as better than their seed....Syracuse and Maryland. Could also add West Virginia after what they did in their tournament.

Bridgeport listed by all 3 as having the most talent (and not just because UConn is there).

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You mean people don't want to visit Bridgeport? The one good thing about Bridgeport is train accessibility.
Really vs. Stockton? Give me PT Barnum any day and twice on Sunday.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
You mean people don't want to visit Bridgeport? The one good thing about Bridgeport is train accessibility.

I'd love to go to Bridgeport; I'd like it a lot better than Stockton, though I'll find a way to make that a trip to SF with a side trip to Stockton for the games, lol.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I am afraid of Maryland the fourth best team in the nation. And UCONN has performed much better then SC. It's the principle best team and best body of work should be rewarded with easiest path and that has not happened!!!

UConn is the best team. You shouldn't be worried about the rest of us scrubs. :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I normally do not partake in the annual committee-bashing ritual.

But I will say, having seen a number of these committee chairs interviewed over the years, the interview with Gawlik on the selection show ranks among the least impressive I've ever seen.

Yes.
She looked like she is in witness protection. :eek:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Yes.
She looked like she is in witness protection. :eek:
I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and surmise that she'd had no sleep for 3 straight nights and was hopped up on caffeine and No-Doz. And then when they turned in the bracket, she was hitting the happy hour hard when they were like, "Hey Terry, don't forget you have to do this ESPN interview..."

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and surmise that she'd had no sleep for 3 straight nights and was hopped up on caffeine and No-Doz. And then when they turned in the bracket, she was hitting the happy hour hard when they were like, "Hey Terry, don't forget you have to do this ESPN interview..."

LOL! I was sort of disappointed that she answered exactly ONE question from Maria Taylor and then POOF...she was gone. Almost like she knew the Committee had turned in a stinky, controversial bracket and didn't want to deal with any hard questions. But she did say that after some time off, the members will spread out and go to the sites...so if anyone's attending the tourney sites, corner the nearest Committee member nearest you and ask them what you (and all of us) want to know!

Reaction Score
So, you're saying you'd swap places with South Carolina and allow them to play in Bridgeport while UConn flies across the country to play in Stockton, CA? You can't have it both ways.

YES!

Reaction Score
Exactly. Poor UConn. "Nobody respects us"...

South Carolina fans can't drive an hour to see their team play if they make it past the first two rounds. SC has played in California 3 of the last 6 tournaments, and last year we played in South Dakota.

South-Da-freaking-Kota.

Stop whining. Yes, it sucks but keep winning. I'm upset that we're going out west again, but SC is a 1-seed. We control our destiny to the Final Four.. just keep winning.

If anything.. Mike sounds like he's afraid of Maryland.

Easiest bracket by far and probably the worst one seed.

Reaction Score
Is it really that difficult for the committee to pick 64 teams and figure out where to put them in the bracket? I mean it's not exactly rocket science or something that should require staying up for three nights with no sleep. I would have thought by now someone would have created a computer program with algorithms to properly place the teams more consistently than a committee.

Reaction Score
2 teams in our path listed as better than their seed....Syracuse and Maryland. Could also add West Virginia after what they did in their tournament.

Bridgeport listed by all 3 as having the most talent (and not just because UConn is there).
OK... I get it that Syracuse and MD...and maybe WV are listed as "better than their seed"... but seriously, Syracuse in Gampel...I like our chances in that 2nd round game. And, MD, WVU better than seed...we won't play both, maybe not either if Duke comes out on top. only have to play One of the three... Just sayin'....... Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
They are saving that for next year- Albany.
I thought that the regional in Albany a few years back was GREAT! No parking issues, good restaurants with specials, nice people...a very enjoyable experience. Far better than Bridgeport, IMO.

Of course, the Dayton Band was there in all their glory. That added to the experience four-fold.

Reaction Score
It may be unfair based on the simple premise of seeding, but methinks if anything it shows the strength of UConn. The committee knows no one is watching this tourney outside of every single CUonn game play maybe 2 or three other matchups. Also, with the growing narrative that this much success is bad for the sport, they are just trying to set up the goliath for a fight that may finally cause him to break a sweat, because people will tune in for that. Who cares, let them, all it will do is further highlight the dominance of this program, it doesnt matter who you put in front of us, they will be decimated like every other.

UConn got screwed. Will they win the NC? Maybe. But the path to the NC game should have been a lot easier. The committee is a total joke. No rhyme or reason to it. I think UConn got the most difficult grouping, followed by Baylor. But the other side of the tournament was pretty easy for their #1's.

Weird and unfair. As Coach Geno says, UConn has its work cut out for it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
He is building a mindset to his team that nothing is being given to us, and we have to fight every game to earn it.:mad:

It started in a huddle in the very first game of the year: "This is how it's going to be...."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
OK... I get it that Syracuse and MD...and maybe WV are listed as "better than their seed"... but seriously, Syracuse in Gampel...I like our chances in that 2nd round game. And, MD, WVU better than seed...we won't play both, maybe not either if Duke comes out on top. only have to play One of the three... Just sayin'.. Go Huskies!
The last time Syracuse beat UConn was in 1996 by a score of 62-59. The game was in Syracuse, in that cavern they call an arena. The last time WVU beat UConn was 1982. Maryland, for all its scariness, has never beaten the Huskies.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The biggest joke is picking Stockton as a location for one of the regionals.
According to what I can find, there is only one airline that services Stockton Airport. It is Allegiant Airlines. They only have flights to Stockton from Vegas, Phoenix and San Diego.
This is also a positive note if you are flying Allegiant---To purchase tickets at the Allegiant ticket counter, agents are available ONLY one hour after each scheduled departure and ONLY on the days when there is a scheduled flight.
The next closest cities to fly to are:

60 minutes to Sacramento
85 minutes to San Francisco
75 minutes to San Jose and Oakland.
The above are with no traffic.
Stockton formerly was known as the Foreclosure Capital of the USA.
What the heck was the appeal? Why not Portland? Seattle, Sacramento, San Diego, etc.

Reaction Score
Probably won't happen, but how about this scenario, Duke beats UConn to reach the FF and shows Azurá that she should not have transferred :)
And as Uconn fans, the reason we would want to consider that scenario is??????

Reaction Score
Feel sorry for the teams stuck in UConn"s bracket- where no team in the country wants to be. Remember ND's complaints about that?

Reaction Score
The biggest joke is picking Stockton as a location for one of the regionals.
According to what I can find, there is only one airline that services Stockton Airport. It is Allegiant Airlines. They only have flights to Stockton from Vegas, Phoenix and San Diego.
This is also a positive note if you are flying Allegiant---To purchase tickets at the Allegiant ticket counter, agents are available ONLY one hour after each scheduled departure and ONLY on the days when there is a scheduled flight.
The next closest cities to fly to are:

60 minutes to Sacramento
85 minutes to San Francisco
75 minutes to San Jose and Oakland.
The above are with no traffic.
Stockton formerly was known as the Foreclosure Capital of the USA.
What the heck was the appeal? Why not Portland? Seattle, Sacramento, San Diego, etc.
The committee really had nothing much to do with Where the Regionals are...that's a competitive bid kind of thing with the NCAA (I believe)... Locations (cities/venues/etc) submit their bids and someone/group in NCAA makes the selections, smaller version of Superbowl venue selection process or even Olympic Games selection... Can't blame this on the committee...just sayin'

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom