The Civil Conflict! | Page 15 | The Boneyard

The Civil Conflict!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Now that he's got everyone watching we better not lose 65-3 or something.

I'm a fan of the stupid trophy starting with last year's win and not the pistol-whipping we took a few years ago down there. If we're going to be stupid about this, we might as well be all the way stupid.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I like Diaco's attitude; stir the pot and get people talkin' UCONN football. Now we gotta go and win the damn game.

Reaction Score
You mean the treatment of people lines? What exactly was he referring to? I guess he alluded to giving the shaft to other sports using shenkman, but anything else?

Yup...

>>If it was the mistake of a young coach still on training wheels, so be it. If Diaco, 42, just doesn't care what others at UConn outside his program think, shame on him. From the use of the Burton/Shenkman complex to the way some people have been treated … it is no secret around campus that Diaco has rubbed a number of people, notably those in other sports, the wrong way. This trophy crash and burn doesn't help him.<<

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yup...

>>If it was the mistake of a young coach still on training wheels, so be it. If Diaco, 42, just doesn't care what others at UConn outside his program think, shame on him. From the use of the Burton/Shenkman complex to the way some people have been treated … it is no secret around campus that Diaco has rubbed a number of people, notably those in other sports, the wrong way. This trophy crash and burn doesn't help him.<<

If the idea was to bring in such an absolute trainwreck so as to make me forget about PPGDL, well then...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sometimes to get attention you have to risk playing the fool. Diaco deserves credit for taking on the challenge for the good of the program. The more coverage and publicity this gets --even the mock ridicule---the better for us. There will be national coverage of this game a hundred fold more than usual. I think it's brilliant.
Or serendipitous, at best.

Reaction Score
"This season, the Strip Mall Squabble begins anew when Houston squares off against Texas."

Reaction Score
"This season, the Strip Mall Squabble begins anew when Houston squares off against Texas."

Now all of these make believe copycat rivalries dreamed up by bloggers, sports columnists and media folk can be traced directly back to Diaco. That makes him a trend setter. Imitation is, of course, the sincerest form of flattery.

Reaction Score
Now all of these make believe copycat rivalries dreamed up by bloggers, sports columnists and media folk can be traced directly back to Diaco. That makes him a trend setter. Imitation is, of course, the sincerest form of flattery.
The program might have stole from me. :confused:

I apologize to the fanbase. At least I came up with decent names for games.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If they beat UCF, this will have been inspired genius. Even if they lose, but have a respectable season (bowl game) then this will still have worked out positively.

You can guarantee the civil conflict will get airtime on all the college football studio shows that week.

Fwiw, I don't care if he rubs anyone on campus the wrong way, or the media or the fans. He needs the players to like him, recruits to like him, their families to like him and to win games. The rest of us will like him just fine.

Reaction Score
Diaco is an enigma. Seems to do a lot of talking before the season, "win the day", this that and the other, but when the games started the talk became about not sacrificing the future for a few wins.

At some point he just needs to focus on winning the games THAT day. He is frustrating guy. If he put half as much energy into not completely shutting the passing game down against USF as he did in creating this trophy we would all be happier.

Diaco is getting dopes like us talking about football and June. He is getting his players amped up for the season, picking a fight with the best team in the league. He knows exactly what he is doing with his troops. This is all part of the building process.

Nobody was more frustrating than me with the USF game but Diaco has a plan. For one, he replaced the offensive coordinator Mike Cummings with Frank Vertucci. I am eager to see how things play out this year.

Reaction Score
My only point is we see a lot
of posts of how the kids believe in him and buy in.

To your point, almost none of us have any idea what's going on inside the program.

So what I saw was a team that rolled over and played dead twice at home. The other thing we see is that schools are starting to fill their 2016 classes (Houston and Tulane have 7-8 verbals for example) and UConn still doesn't have a commit.

So since the evidence that players have bought in seems to be what they post on Twitter - I don't see a lot of compelling evidence that one can claim players have bought in either.

But yes of course plenty of good coaches in all sports have had teams mail it in at the end of the season.

I haven't declared him a failure but it certainly would give me a lot more confidence if they would start landing some players instead of giving us more reasons to question his sanity.

I'd love to shake this feeling that he'll figure it all out at his next head coaching gig. I'd prefer to not be his Cleveland.
up until a month or so ago, Ollie was in the recruiting crapper as well. different sport, I get it.
but things change very quickly...

wait until the game is over before you complain about the outcome.

Reaction Score
LOLOLOL.

"UConn Promotes 'Rivalry' Game with UCF, Knights Deny Any Involvement"

The writers for the Onion couldn't come up with this even it was fake. I hope that trophy is real, and I hope it's on the sideline in Orlando in October. If we're going to suck big monkey balls on the field, might as well have some fun off.

Check out all of these other rivalry games listed on wiki. They all had to start somewhere. As I have written, Diaco is hyping the program in June, getting people to talk about football. He is reminding his players that we beat the best team in the league last year, planting seeds of believe. He is making a statement that UCONN will take anyone on. I like the moxi and we have nothing to lose.

My wife is going to football 101 at Storrs Friday night. Drinking cocktails and catching screen passes with the girls and coaches. Diaco is a creative guy and demonstrating to all that college football is fun! Guys need to lighten up!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_college_football_rivalry_games

Reaction Score
The Villanova game will give a good sense of direction. By the time that game arrives, he'll have completed something like 18 months of calendar time in the HC position, he'll have 2 spring and 2 fall camps, and 1 full regular season experience under his belt. He'll have a roster that will be what he's had 18 months to determine are all his RKG's.

If we're still a disorganized and undisciplined mess on the field from individual play to team concepts, communication, and game plan execution- then I'll start worrying about this guy's plan as a head coach.

Talked to Diaco's assistant at the golf tournament. He told me the guys are already really amped up for Villanova. Like everyone on the boneyard, I am hoping UCONN makes a major statement against NOVA with a blowout win.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Yup...

Ya know once upon a time there was a guy around campus who rubbed a number of people the wrong way. His name was Jim Calhoun.

I'm not saying Diaco = Calhoun...
just-saying.jpg

Reaction Score
There are scads and scores of fans whose response to being in the AAC has been to incessantly point out what a crap conference it is, how spread out it is, how awful some of the schools are, and so on. The solution to the problem that they offer is, "we need to get out of this conference ASAP."
This is like we're all sitting on a compromised boat, complaining of its list, bemoaning the unsanitary condition, and otherwise engaging in a non-stop pity party whilst we parrot, repeatedly, "what we need is a new boat," notwithstanding that no new boat is in sight or expected any time soon.
Diaco is bailing. From what I can see, he's bailing as fast and as hard as he can. He's working with what he has. Was the rivalry thing, retrospectively, a poor choice? Yep. Did he make rookie mistakes as a head coach last year? Yep. But the dude is bailing like a madman, and I'm not exactly sure what people want him to do. Win? That's the advice. That's like yelling to a drowning man, "swim!"

The guy inherited this from PP:
toilet-overflowing.jpg

It's been only a year and a bit. He barely knows his players. He's had little to time to learn how to be a head coach.
It's striking to me how aggressive the more radical fans are are at calling for his head. If the more belligerent fans had their way, he may already be gone, and some new guy would be sitting there, surveying the sinking vessel, having people scream at him, "we need a new ship. This ship sucks. You have 3 hours to find one."
It's becoming normal in our world to quickly and openly mock people for any perceived failure through distal media portals, and with impunity and without accountability. We're becoming a nation, and world, of mean girls, perching like vultures, waiting for anybody to slip so we can caw out at them, mock and laugh and condescend. Shame on us for not supporting Diaco through thick and thin, particularly given the short time he has been here and the fecal mess he inherited. The guy didn't put the gash in the hull. He just was the guy who agreed to come aboard and work to right it.

I don't use this word lightly - I think the guy is incredibly brave to put himself out there, likely knowing what the reaction would be. He's soldiering on. I respect that immensely, notwithstanding any missteps along the way, and I think it's petty and small to pile on our head coach when his single and obvious motivation is to improve the team and the program.

Not everyone on the Boneyard is down on Bob Diaco. I agree 150% that it is way too early to judge. I believe in Diaco and his staff. We are fortunate to have him at this place and time. UCONN fans expect to win and it has been a long and frustrating 4 years, I totally get it. It has been extremely frustrating but we need to hang in for a little while and as you say get behind Diaco. if he fails then as many have said,he will be fired. Until then let's get behind him.

Here is a good word from Romans on the subject of dealing with difficult circumstances in life.

" We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of victory. Rom - 5:3

Diaco is building a team of Character. We all, including me have to work on building Character. Winning is wonderful but how we go about winning is important. I like the integrity I have seen in both Coach Ollie and Coach Diaco.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The guys absolutely nuts. I mean that's 100% obvious... if he wins games then I don't care.

Reaction Score
The guy is absolutely nuts.... If he wins games then I don't care.

So here's the reality. If he's nuts and loses, he won't be here long. But if he wins, he won't be nuts. You'll see articles by the same schnooks who chortled at his outside-the-box maneuvers but now they'll be headlined " How Diaco Saved UConn Football" "The Little Coach Who Could" They'll talk about his unorthodox methods, how he sacrificed a season to find his way. It will be the new blueprint. And this Civil Conflict thing will be viewed as a brilliant stroke to ignite interest in an uninteresting team. His personality will have him on lots of TV. The exposure for UConn and Diaco will grow. Success somehow turns "nuts" into "savvy futurists" willing to risk the slings of criticism and derision until they become the sought after subjects of interviewers wanting to touch the king.

Reaction Score
College football has always been a ground for innovation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom