The Catholic league is... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Catholic league is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If conferences were about wins Rutgers would be in the MAAC. Congratulations on the happenstance of geography. Now please go back to your board and try to convince yourself that this time you will contribute anything to a conference athletically.

Reaction Score
Do you even realize that every decent football team in the ACC will leave if they ever added UConn?...... exhibit A- LOUISVILLE

Hopefully, that's true.
As for Exhibit A, I don't think you know what Exhibit means.
Oh, and Louisville?? You mean that football team UConn just beat on the road?

caw

Reaction Score
The Big East gave birth to Uconn. Uconn now a thankless offspring? The Big East gave Uconn everything it has today. It was football and greed that lead to the demise. To blame the basketball schools is misguided. They wanted this held together. Football schools have forced the hand of the remaining 7 basketball schools. As the saying goes, "if you"re not part of the solution, you're part of the problem". I think the 7 basketball schools just decided to look for a solution. To call them "parasites" is blasphemy after becoming big and powerful off the Big East's teet.

I'm pretty happy that UConn was in the BE. The BE was a fantastic conference. I wouldn't say it gave birth to UConn though. Or at least, if it did, UConn grew up and became the daddy and breadwinner of that league (basketball speaking) pretty quickly (see below).

It's too bad so many of you guys are such big headed fans.
Herbst was about to get on her knees to try keeping the "parasites" in the current BE, the day news broke about the "parasites" leaving. The 7 catholic schools wouldn't have left if they were not leaving for a much better situation.
Memphis hasn't beat a ranked team since Calipari was there...And I'd love to know what you guys expect Uconn to be now that Calhoun isn't around and are in a mess of a conference. Times are changing.

Ehh, Hoard reported Herbst didn't beg for nothing from the C7.

You guys will need as much help as UConn, if not more. And I wish you luck. If you think this is bile, go read your own board about what you guys are saying about UConn. Seriously, more hate going on there, by a ton.

Let's all be honest here. If UConn wasn't as stellar as it was in basketball, the BE is regarded as one of the worst basketball leagues, of the top 6, in the US the past 20-25 years. One year wonder Melo is all that stands between the BE and zero National Championships since pre-Calhoun, without UConn. I love how fans of other teams joke that UConn fans think basketball started in 1990, but the truth of the matter is, if UConn/Calhoun wasn't carrying the Big East all those years, the BE would have had the same basketball rep as it had football rep. UConn has more than paid back the C7 and other founding members for including it in the BE.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
To call Depaul, Seton Hall and Providence "basketball schools" is blasphemy. Even St John's has stunk for the better part of 10 years.
When did St John's stop stinking? When they got blown out by Gonzaga in the NCAAs two years ago?

Reaction Score
Hopefully, that's true.
As for Exhibit A, I don't think you know what Exhibit means.
Oh, and Louisville?? You mean that football team UConn just beat on the road?

In 30 years, after UConn completes its descent into the abyss of irrelevance, do you think people will talk about your NCAA championships with wonder the way they talk about CCNY's NCAA championship?

Reaction Score
Do you even realize that every decent football team in the ACC will leave if they ever added UConn?...... exhibit A- LOUISVILLE

Enjoy the basement in the B10 duckkface..........Penn State and Iowa are the worst you face and only chances to win, and that's not a good bet either. You want irrelevant, check that mirror........

caw

Reaction Score
In 30 years, after UConn completes its descent into the abyss of irrelevance, do you think people will talk about your NCAA championships with wonder the way they talk about CCNY's NCAA championship?

I'll tell you what, when Rutgers win something that is the equivalent of a NCAA championship, you can talk, should I make it easier and say something equivalent of an NIT championship?

caw

Reaction Score
Enjoy the basement in the B10 duckkface..........Penn State and Iowa are the worst you face and only chances to win, and that's not a good bet either. You want irrelevant, check that mirror........

Yeah, but they are used to it...nothing has really changed, just the names on the other side of the scoreboard.

Reaction Score

I don't think UConn is going to become Rutgers in 30 years.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Sometimes, I like to gather up the lil Rutgers' fans and tell 'em stories of the things I done seen.

Stories of the big fancy basketball tournament held at the end of every season. Stories about parades and trophies and confetti. Stories of them big bowls in warm stadiums on New Year's Day. Big stories of big things that big boy schools get to do.

And they just stare in wide wonder, dreaming that maybe, just maybe, they might see such things with their own eyes. And for a moment, there's something in those eyes instead of shame and sorrow.

And then, they blink and they're Rutgers again.

Reaction Score
Sometimes, I like to gather up the lil Rutgers' fans and tell 'em stories of the things I done seen.

Stories of the big fancy basketball tournament held at the end of every season. Stories about parades and trophies and confetti. Stories of them big bowls in warm stadiums on New Year's Day. Big stories of big things that big boy schools get to do.

And they just stare in wide wonder, dreaming that maybe, just maybe, they might see such things with their own eyes. And for a moment, there's something in those eyes instead of shame and sorrow.

And then, they blink and they're Rutgers again.

It used to be they came back at UConn with USNWR rankings, but those days are gone now too.

Reaction Score
When Rutgers fans are here flaming us you know it hasn't been a great month in UConn sports.

Reaction Score
[quote="UConn's **ty conference of Memphis, Temple, and Cincy is still much better.

It gives me hope to know that they make alcohol or pharmaceuticals strong enough to cause someone to make this assertion.

Watching UConn regularly play South Florida, Central Florida, Tulane and SMU has the same appeal to me as watching other people's kids perform two-hour dance recitals at the Klein Auditorium in Bridgeport once or twice a week every winter for the rest of my life. The PA announcer might be saying "And the starting line-up for Southern Methodist University is . . ." but what I'll be hearing is "Let's give a warm welcome to the Wednesday 3pm Li'l Tumblers." I may need to start drinking right now to prepare for this.[/quote]

You missed the point as I was comparing the top of the conferences. The Big East has been getting a free ride on UConn's tail for a couple decades, and now you magically expect these catholic schools to start winning? While I'm certainly not excited about the new Big East we live in, but I believe it is much stronger than the C7. Anyway you look at it UConn is still by far the best brand in either of the conferences.

Reaction Score
a joke. I can't believe more people don't agree with me. The league is garbage and they will get no $. Georgetown is a name brand but other than that forget it. The next best programs are Villanova and Marquette. Nova is in the worst shape it's been in 15-20 years. Marquette is a sweet 16 team in their best year. The rest of the schools are commuter schools. Butler and Dayton will not make this religious conference more desirable. UConn's **ty conference of Memphis, Temple, and Cincy is still much better.

Stupid post

Reaction Score
Just so you know, it is not an actual video of Hitler. It is a scene from the movie Downfall. It is a movie scene that is popular for creating parodies. I don't find humor in the fall of the Roman Empire, the downfall of the Native American people's, but somehow I was able to find humor int the subtitles in that parody even though it was an actor imitating a dictator. Oh yeah, I just finished watching Julius Caesar and the Last of the Mohegans. I'd put an eyes rolling emoticon here but there aren't any available.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I thought it was from The Bunker. The above video was about as lame as possible but there were some that were as funny as anything. The one where they informed Hitler the Giants beat the Cowboys in the playoffs was among the funniest things ever.

Reaction Score
The Big East gave birth to Uconn. Uconn now a thankless offspring? The Big East gave Uconn everything it has today. It was football and greed that lead to the demise. To blame the basketball schools is misguided. They wanted this held together. Football schools have forced the hand of the remaining 7 basketball schools. As the saying goes, "if you"re not part of the solution, you're part of the problem". I think the 7 basketball schools just decided to look for a solution. To call them "parasites" is blasphemy after becoming big and powerful off the Big East's teet.

Yeah and what have you done since Chris Mullin and Walter Berry or even then? You gave birth to our program, an original member, and this program carried the BE flag for year and years while your teams of the past were going nowhere.........this is a great move by these schools but let's not pretend any of them will be competing for any NC's any time soon!!

Reaction Score
Stupid post

Great point! You are on drugs if you think the C7 is a strong league. Take away UConn's 17 Big East titles, 3 National Championships, and the Big East is not very impressive. Just say thank you for the free money. You're on your own now, and actually need to get results to be relevant.

Reaction Score
Great point! You are on drugs if you think the C7 is a strong league. Take away UConn's 17 Big East titles, 3 National Championships, and the Big East is not very impressive. Just say thank you for the free money. You're on your own now, and actually need to get results to be relevant.

You have to wonder if the BE ever even comes back with the great run in the 2000s were it not for UConn. The conference would have been totally dead for a decade if UConn hadn't stepped up.
The 2000s wouldn't have even happened.

Reaction Score
You have to wonder if the BE ever even comes back with the great run in the 2000s were it not for UConn. The conference would have been totally dead for a decade if UConn hadn't stepped up.
The 2000s wouldn't have even happened.

I find it comical that Providence fans blame us for the BE demise. Umm sorry we are invested in our athletic programs! We carried the league for years. Make fun of us all you want PC, but you can't say you are stronger without UConn.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Since 2006 - 7 years since Marquette & DePaul joined

Villanova - NCAA 6 times (1FF, 1E8, 1S16)
Georgetown - NCAA 6 times (1FF & 1S16) & 1 NIT
Marquette - NCAA 7 times (2 S16's)
Seton Hall - 1 NCAA & 2 NIT's
St. John's - 1 NCAA, 1 NIT, 1 CBI
Providence - 2 NIT's
DePaul - 1 NIT

UCONN - NCAA 5 times (1Champ, 1FF, 1E8) & 1NIT

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Watching UConn regularly play South Florida, Central Florida, Tulane and SMU has the same appeal to me as watching other people's kids perform two-hour dance recitals at the Klein Auditorium in Bridgeport once or twice a week every winter for the rest of my life. The PA announcer might be saying "And the starting line-up for Southern Methodist University is . . ." but what I'll be hearing is "Let's give a warm welcome to the Wednesday 3pm Li'l Tumblers."

Heartily agree. No tradition, no history with these new teams. Memphis and Temple may be strong opponents but history makes Georgetown and Villanova better opponents. The travel time for the new schools will be onerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom