The case for uconn womens bball, for the men's only fan. (It's not what you think). | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The case for uconn womens bball, for the men's only fan. (It's not what you think).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let me start out by saying I am not men's only. I love the women's team. But I understand that a lot of you don't care about the women's team. I'm sure a lot of you are rolling your eyes at the title of this thread. (Shut up about the women already, we'll never watch).
I'm not trying to get you to watch. I have a prediction (eye rolls again).

Despite what some say, the women's game and men's game are linked. We aren't the basketball Capitol solely because of the men. We all know that.

But...I think this whole basketball Capitol thing is going to kick into a whole other gear. We can't compare it to another era because it will be unprecedented. Here's why:

1. Clearly, the men's team emerged from this year's tourney as the undisputed program in cbb. As of now it's uconn and everyone else. The media knows it, fans of other schools know it, coaches know it.
2. We have a coach who is a character. A great interview and his status is only going to rise. I mean football coaches are trying to use DHs roster philosophy.
3. Luke's dad is a hip, visible legend.
4. Our quest for 7 will have all eyes on us.
We all know this:

But here's the big push: Paige.
Caitlin Clark brought eyes to the game that would never have watched a game. If you paid attention, it was pretty intense.
The country is hungry for her replacement : luckily, we have her replacement. Think I'm spitballing? Google Paige right now. The media has already crowned her the next darling and she's perfect for it.

In the age of Instagram, basketball has a huge advantage over college football. The fact that we can see their faces and that women are also involved. Paige is a great dresser. She posts socially relevant tik tok videos and as a Midwesterner, the Clark contingent will embrace her. College football players, facially, by no fault of their own, are largely unknown to the public. Its also easier to follow a team with 5 players than with 11 masked men.

WCbb is set to become the tik tok and instagram sport of choice and once that happens, you get the non-traditional fan roped in. Kind of like what fantasy did for the casual nfl fan.

And...UConn is at the top of that mountain. I know most of you will laugh when i say that cbb will surpass cfb. It will take a huge paradigm shift- I believe that social media and the ascendant women's game is just that shift. Plus, a lot of these new fans don't have dyed in the wool allegiances to their local wcbb teams. They are a floating entity, and that's why the whole country was able to love Clark or Tiger.

My guess: it's about to get bonkers.
Only thing on Paige

She WAS the darling until she got hurt…… the second time. History and chance gave
Clark an opening and she crushed it. Had Paige played healthy (with Azzi) we win at least once these past 2 years. This years draft would have been up for grabs at #1 and the deepest since grinder, delledonna, and Ms super hottie from Notre Dame. But I hear you. We must be preseason #2 or 3 at the worst and the 2 biggest draws (not named dawn staley) for transfers have got to juju and Paige.

Reaction Score
B
The ratings Iowa/UConn WBB got were eye opening. The women’s game has opened a lot of eyes and doors and they’re able to market their stars because they stay in school for four years. Men’s BB players typically turn pro as they become stars, and then men’s game doesn’t have the same ability to market stars to its audience. How ironic would it be if the women’s program was the tipping point for one of the P4 conferences to say we need UConn in our league football and all?
iggest thing since UConn vs Tennessee

Reaction Score
Let me start out by saying I am not men's only. I love the women's team. But I understand that a lot of you don't care about the women's team. I'm sure a lot of you are rolling your eyes at the title of this thread. (Shut up about the women already, we'll never watch).
I'm not trying to get you to watch. I have a prediction (eye rolls again).

Despite what some say, the women's game and men's game are linked. We aren't the basketball Capitol solely because of the men. We all know that.

But...I think this whole basketball Capitol thing is going to kick into a whole other gear. We can't compare it to another era because it will be unprecedented. Here's why:

1. Clearly, the men's team emerged from this year's tourney as the undisputed program in cbb. As of now it's uconn and everyone else. The media knows it, fans of other schools know it, coaches know it.
2. We have a coach who is a character. A great interview and his status is only going to rise. I mean football coaches are trying to use DHs roster philosophy.
3. Luke's dad is a hip, visible legend.
4. Our quest for 7 will have all eyes on us.
We all know this:

But here's the big push: Paige.
Caitlin Clark brought eyes to the game that would never have watched a game. If you paid attention, it was pretty intense.
The country is hungry for her replacement : luckily, we have her replacement. Think I'm spitballing? Google Paige right now. The media has already crowned her the next darling and she's perfect for it.

In the age of Instagram, basketball has a huge advantage over college football. The fact that we can see their faces and that women are also involved. Paige is a great dresser. She posts socially relevant tik tok videos and as a Midwesterner, the Clark contingent will embrace her. College football players, facially, by no fault of their own, are largely unknown to the public. Its also easier to follow a team with 5 players than with 11 masked men.

WCbb is set to become the tik tok and instagram sport of choice and once that happens, you get the non-traditional fan roped in. Kind of like what fantasy did for the casual nfl fan.

And...UConn is at the top of that mountain. I know most of you will laugh when i say that cbb will surpass cfb. It will take a huge paradigm shift- I believe that social media and the ascendant women's game is just that shift. Plus, a lot of these new fans don't have dyed in the wool allegiances to their local wcbb teams. They are a floating entity, and that's why the whole country was able to love Clark or Tiger.

My guess: it's about to get bonkers.
I think UCONN has one big honking problem:

Geno is 70 and there is no succession plan. I mean, you can't replace an inner circle HOF coach; but still we do need to be able to provide recruits and high school coaches with some idea of what the plan would be going forward when GA hangs up his spurs.

And two years from now I don't think any non-hard core WBB/WCBB fans will have any clue where Caitlyn Clark is playing.

Reaction Score
If you don’t accept the c Clark impact you’re pushing up against the facts
She had brought a whole new audience to the
Women’s game. Women /young people
Her game a Mohegan is sold out
The women’s semis and final has more viewers
Than the men’s game
People are drawn to stars
Playing 4 years in college allows the “brand”
To develop
The men’s game does not develop stars due to the one and done and that most of the elite players
Are international players
Love Paige but it’s a big stretch to say she is a better player than c clark

The “girl from Oregon” Sabrina Ionescu
Is all wnba second team Olympic team member
I think she a better than pretty good

Perhaps you’re reviewing all this through a set of men’s basketball glasses

No im not I’m viewing through a basketball fan’s eyes. Paige is better overall and if she continues to stay healthy will be better in the WNBA. Clark had a great college career I get that. But Muhl and the girl from South Carolina held their own defending her in the FF and she will see better coming up.

To each their own just my opinion that Diana T is correct!

Reaction Score
Will Geno let Paige be the next Clark though? I don’t think so. Geno is all about the team and we probably have way too much talent around Paige for her to be the sole focus like Clark was. Paige simply isn’t going to put up the numbers Clark put up, or huck 30 foot threes on the fast break.

Reaction Score
Will Geno let Paige be the next Clark though? I don’t think so. Geno is all about the team and we probably have way too much talent around Paige for her to be the sole focus like Clark was. Paige simply isn’t going to put up the numbers Clark put up, or huck 30 foot threes on the fast break.

Agree! He never let anyone including Diana, Maya, Stewie or anyone be that person. No issues with the Iowa coach allowing that it made them successful mostly.

Reaction Score
At UConn I’d go with Khalid.
In NBA, I’d say Ray Allen.
Combo; Kemba.

On women’s side Rebecca Lobo, Sue Bird and Taurasi are all very charismatic.
Khalid, Kemba, and Taurasi are as charismatic as it gets.

Reaction Score
No im not I’m viewing through a basketball fan’s eyes. Paige is better overall and if she continues to stay healthy will be better in the WNBA. Clark had a great college career I get that. But Muhl and the girl from South Carolina held their own defending her in the FF and she will see better coming up.

To each their own just my opinion that Diana T is correct!
Of course but I was referring to your skepticism
Regarding the growth of women’s basketball

Reaction Score
UConn has had so many great players win national championships and go on to play in the WNBA. It just seems off that Clark became such a draw and her team didn't even win it all. Clark is what finally drew fans to the sport?

Reaction Score
UConn has had so many great players win national championships and go on to play in the WNBA. It just seems off that Clark became such a draw and her team didn't even win it all. Clark is what finally drew fans to the sport?
People were drawn to her, not really drawn to women's basketball in general.

Reaction Score
If you don’t accept the c Clark impact you’re pushing up against the facts
She had brought a whole new audience to the
Women’s game. Women /young people
Her game a Mohegan is sold out
The women’s semis and final has more viewers
Than the men’s game
People are drawn to stars
Playing 4 years in college allows the “brand”
To develop
The men’s game does not develop stars due to the one and done and that most of the elite players
Are international players
Love Paige but it’s a big stretch to say she is a better player than c clark

The “girl from Oregon” Sabrina Ionescu
Is all wnba second team Olympic team member
I think she a better than pretty good

Perhaps you’re reviewing all this through a set of men’s basketball glasses
I don’t think it’s big stretch at all, and Paige proved that her freshman year. Hope I’m wrong because I really like the kid, but I have my doubts on Clark’s success in the WNBA. She does not have a good traditional 15 to 18 foot jump shot like Paige Bueckers does that arcs over a defender trying to block it. Clark’s shooting, especially from long range and though extremely accurate, is a cross between a set shot and a jump shot. Her shot kind of reminds me of Bob Cousy. She doesn’t jump very high when she lets it go, and in the WNBA that might be a learning experience for her. I don’t know if others watching her play these past four years have noticed but CC’s intermediate range shooting from the top of the key or even a couple feet closer is not as good as her long bombs, and there’s not much arc to it either which can then be blocked.

Reaction Score
The national network media is doing a huge fluff job on her.

Reaction Score
At UConn I’d go with Khalid.
In NBA, I’d say Ray Allen.
Combo; Kemba.

On women’s side Rebecca Lobo, Sue Bird and Taurasi are all very charismatic.
I'd throw in Emeka as well. He may not have been over-the-top, jumping up on tables and such, but he imposed his will on games like few others could. The guy never came off as anything other than intelligent, passionate and kind. He was an alpha dog that didn't need to bark to let others know his place and he always looked out for his pack.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Saying the "basketball capitol" label isn't just because of the men is spots on. The women's team was the first to win a national title, won four in a row, undefeated seasons, broke numerous records, and have won twice as many titles as the men.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22