The case for uconn womens bball, for the men's only fan. (It's not what you think). | The Boneyard

The case for uconn womens bball, for the men's only fan. (It's not what you think).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let me start out by saying I am not men's only. I love the women's team. But I understand that a lot of you don't care about the women's team. I'm sure a lot of you are rolling your eyes at the title of this thread. (Shut up about the women already, we'll never watch).
I'm not trying to get you to watch. I have a prediction (eye rolls again).

Despite what some say, the women's game and men's game are linked. We aren't the basketball Capitol solely because of the men. We all know that.

But...I think this whole basketball Capitol thing is going to kick into a whole other gear. We can't compare it to another era because it will be unprecedented. Here's why:

1. Clearly, the men's team emerged from this year's tourney as the undisputed program in cbb. As of now it's uconn and everyone else. The media knows it, fans of other schools know it, coaches know it.
2. We have a coach who is a character. A great interview and his status is only going to rise. I mean football coaches are trying to use DHs roster philosophy.
3. Luke's dad is a hip, visible legend.
4. Our quest for 7 will have all eyes on us.
We all know this:

But here's the big push: Paige.
Caitlin Clark brought eyes to the game that would never have watched a game. If you paid attention, it was pretty intense.
The country is hungry for her replacement : luckily, we have her replacement. Think I'm spitballing? Google Paige right now. The media has already crowned her the next darling and she's perfect for it.

In the age of Instagram, basketball has a huge advantage over college football. The fact that we can see their faces and that women are also involved. Paige is a great dresser. She posts socially relevant tik tok videos and as a Midwesterner, the Clark contingent will embrace her. College football players, facially, by no fault of their own, are largely unknown to the public. Its also easier to follow a team with 5 players than with 11 masked men.

WCbb is set to become the tik tok and instagram sport of choice and once that happens, you get the non-traditional fan roped in. Kind of like what fantasy did for the casual nfl fan.

And...UConn is at the top of that mountain. I know most of you will laugh when i say that cbb will surpass cfb. It will take a huge paradigm shift- I believe that social media and the ascendant women's game is just that shift. Plus, a lot of these new fans don't have dyed in the wool allegiances to their local wcbb teams. They are a floating entity, and that's why the whole country was able to love Clark or Tiger.

My guess: it's about to get bonkers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Deepster, thoughts?

Seriously though I can’t believe the world on wcbb is falling so hard for this Clark extravaganza. I mean 20M from Nike? They probably will sell tons of her shoes to the little girls but she better be a star immediately in the WNBA or this fad will burst. The girl from Oregon a few years ago was the same and while she’s turned into a pretty good player it took a while, and she’s not great.

I think Paige would’ve gone #2 this year solely because of the exposure Clark would bring to the Fever not because she wasn’t a better player!

Reaction Score
The best possible outcome for the school and the program is for both the men's and women's programs to be sought after once schools receive units for tournament play that are commensurate with what the TV networks are paying.

In other words, there's no reason why the NCAA uses basketball as the sport which funds all other sports.

This is also why, in a weird way, the removal of the NCAA from the equation both hinders UConn (if the P4 lock UConn out) while simultaneously helping the school.

We'll have to see what tournaments look like if/when the NCAA stops running them. If the $1.4b (Men + Women) goes to the conferences that play in the tourneys, then UConn becomes instantly more valuable.

Reaction Score
Deepster, thoughts?

Seriously though I can’t believe the world on wcbb is falling so hard for this Clark extravaganza. I mean 20M from Nike? They probably will sell tons of her shoes to the little girls but she better be a star immediately in the WNBA or this fad will burst. The girl from Oregon a few years ago was the same and while she’s turned into a pretty good player it took a while, and she’s not great.

I think Paige would’ve gone #2 this year solely because of the exposure Clark would bring to the Fever not because she wasn’t a better player!
My guess is that against the best competition, clearly, Clark won't be the same as a rookie in the pros than she was an upperclasswoman in college.

The young girls will look to college and Paige. Plus, Paige is more personable imo.

As a professional musician, my label always used to say, if the young girls are your fan base.... that's when the real success rolls in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The ratings Iowa/UConn WBB got were eye opening. The women’s game has opened a lot of eyes and doors and they’re able to market their stars because they stay in school for four years. Men’s BB players typically turn pro as they become stars, and then men’s game doesn’t have the same ability to market stars to its audience. How ironic would it be if the women’s program was the tipping point for one of the P4 conferences to say we need UConn in our league football and all?

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Outside of UConn men’s, I watch majority girls / women’s basketball. I’ve been a girls basketball trainer, coach, donor, basketball dad for about 12 years now. My 3 daughters play. The sports growing. It’s a full year round commitment. The shot clock finally being in CT. high school basketball helps. More NBA guys are getting involved now because their daughters play, so that helps tremendously. I think the Women’s college game is miles ahead of the WNBA, especially after this past season’s ratings. Kobe was a huge lose but you can literally go buy 2-3 quality basketball shoes, right now, that are signature shoes of women. That’s all I got.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Deepster, thoughts?

Hard to say for sure, but I'm guessing probably something like "where are my damn slippers?!" or possibly "why do my potatoes keep staring at me?"

Reaction Score
If nothing more I hope it KILLS the fball drives the bus narrative. Someone will want to make more $$$$$ off wcbb popularity and guess who is at the top of that? Insane womens ball has gone untapped up until now / up until 6 months ago, no way that continues. Though if it does I guess the people who drive the bus aren't the geniuses we made them put to be. But no, they will recognize wcbb is a money getter. Btw Cameron Brink got me watching, personally.

Plus before her injury Paige was number 1, Caitlin picked up the slack with paiges injury but insta will love Paige or brink way more.

Reaction Score
Deepster, thoughts?

People on the men’s board should remember that Paige was the top ranked player coming out of high school, and turned out to be the better player during both girls freshman year, winning FOY and NPOY. I mean, before Paige, when was the last time a freshman won NPOY. Then the injuries hit her.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I’ve always rooted for the Lady Huskies. It’s helped the brand greatly. I don’t know about TikTok, we’ll see.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
After reading "(It's not what you think)," and having initially quickly read the title as though you meant "Men's " (because there were no capital letters, even for "uconn"), I didn't know what to expect.

I remain thankful for the person in this forum who hyped Paige early in her freshman season. It turned me in somebody who has watched nearly every UConn WBB game ever since.

It remains nearly unimaginable that even with 5 key players sidelined by injuries, the 2023-24 team ranked 3rd in the Final AP poll..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
After reading "(It's not what you think)," and having initially quickly read the title as though you meant "Men's " (because there were no capital letters, even for "uconn"), I didn't know what to expect.

I remain thankful for the person in this forum who hyped Paige early in her freshman season. It turned me in somebody who has watched nearly every UConn WBB game ever since.

It remains nearly unimaginable that even with 5 key players sidelined by injuries, the 2023-24 team ranked 3rd in the Final AP poll..

EDIT - LOL profanity filter
All of her accolades freshman year, then the injuries, only add to her story. I don't think many even know about her first year.

Reaction Score
People on the men’s board should remember that Paige was the top ranked player coming out of high school, and turned out to be the better player during both girls freshman year, winning FOY and NPOY. I mean, before Paige, when was the last time a freshman won NPOY. Then the injuries hit her.
All true, and there was no last time. Paige was the first and only freshman to win NPOY on the women’s side, and there really wasn’t much to debate at the time. She had it pretty much locked up with a few weeks left in the regular season.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If nothing more I hope it KILLS the fball drives the bus narrative. Someone will want to make more $$$$$ off wcbb popularity and guess who is at the top of that? Insane womens ball has gone untapped up until now / up until 6 months ago, no way that continues. Though if it does I guess the people who drive the bus aren't the geniuses we made them put to be. But no, they will recognize wcbb is a money getter. Btw Cameron Brink got me watching, personally.

Plus before her injury Paige was number 1, Caitlin picked up the slack with paiges injury but insta will love Paige or brink way more.
Brink is now with the LA Sparks, so not sure if you meant she'll be loved as a female hoopster in general, as she's not gonna be playing college hoops next year.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
The ratings Iowa/UConn WBB got were eye opening. The women’s game has opened a lot of eyes and doors and they’re able to market their stars because they stay in school for four years. Men’s BB players typically turn pro as they become stars, and then men’s game doesn’t have the same ability to market stars to its audience. How ironic would it be if the women’s program was the tipping point for one of the P4 conferences to say we need UConn in our league football and all?
I don't want this. No one I go to games with wants this. Other conferences can get lost. We are in the Big East and we love it.

Reaction Score
I'm mildly interested in the success of the women's program. I'm obsessed with the men's program. The more success on both sides, the better. Legendary coaches on both sides. It's great to be an Alum and fan along for the ride.

Reaction Score
Let me start out by saying I am not men's only. I love the women's team. But I understand that a lot of you don't care about the women's team. I'm sure a lot of you are rolling your eyes at the title of this thread. (Shut up about the women already, we'll never watch).
I'm not trying to get you to watch. I have a prediction (eye rolls again).

Despite what some say, the women's game and men's game are linked. We aren't the basketball Capitol solely because of the men. We all know that.

But...I think this whole basketball Capitol thing is going to kick into a whole other gear. We can't compare it to another era because it will be unprecedented. Here's why:

1. Clearly, the men's team emerged from this year's tourney as the undisputed program in cbb. As of now it's uconn and everyone else. The media knows it, fans of other schools know it, coaches know it.
2. We have a coach who is a character. A great interview and his status is only going to rise. I mean football coaches are trying to use DHs roster philosophy.
3. Luke's dad is a hip, visible legend.
4. Our quest for 7 will have all eyes on us.
We all know this:

But here's the big push: Paige.
Caitlin Clark brought eyes to the game that would never have watched a game. If you paid attention, it was pretty intense.
The country is hungry for her replacement : luckily, we have her replacement. Think I'm spitballing? Google Paige right now. The media has already crowned her the next darling and she's perfect for it.

In the age of Instagram, basketball has a huge advantage over college football. The fact that we can see their faces and that women are also involved. Paige is a great dresser. She posts socially relevant tik tok videos and as a Midwesterner, the Clark contingent will embrace her. College football players, facially, by no fault of their own, are largely unknown to the public. Its also easier to follow a team with 5 players than with 11 masked men.

WCbb is set to become the tik tok and instagram sport of choice and once that happens, you get the non-traditional fan roped in. Kind of like what fantasy did for the casual nfl fan.

And...UConn is at the top of that mountain. I know most of you will laugh when i say that cbb will surpass cfb. It will take a huge paradigm shift- I believe that social media and the ascendant women's game is just that shift. Plus, a lot of these new fans don't have dyed in the wool allegiances to their local wcbb teams. They are a floating entity, and that's why the whole country was able to love Clark or Tiger.

My guess: it's about to get bonkers.
I like the post but Paige Bueckers is not going to be like Caitlin Clark, the Caitlin Clark thing is a one off phenomenon. She was going after and breaking the all-time scoring record, she shoots from Steph Curry range, there was controversy surrounding her, people wanted to see if she could singlehandedly win it all.

Bueckers is great but she's not going to be must watch TV for people around the country like Caitlin Clark was.

Reaction Score
All true, and there was no last time. Paige was the first and only freshman to win NPOY on the women’s side, and there really wasn’t much to debate at the time. She had it pretty much locked up with a few weeks left in the regular season.
If I recall correctly, there was a stretch in her freshman year when she scored 30 or more points, three games in a row, and right before that stretch had 27 & 22. Also had a crazy 14 assists in another game. She also shot 46.5% from behind the arc that year. Also don’t forget she did this playing alongside Christyn Williams, Ono and Evina Westbrook.

Reaction Score
Deepster, thoughts?

If you don’t accept the c Clark impact you’re pushing up against the facts
She had brought a whole new audience to the
Women’s game. Women /young people
Her game a Mohegan is sold out
The women’s semis and final has more viewers
Than the men’s game
People are drawn to stars
Playing 4 years in college allows the “brand”
To develop
The men’s game does not develop stars due to the one and done and that most of the elite players
Are international players
Love Paige but it’s a big stretch to say she is a better player than c clark

The “girl from Oregon” Sabrina Ionescu
Is all wnba second team Olympic team member
I think she a better than pretty good

Perhaps you’re reviewing all this through a set of men’s basketball glasses

Reaction Score
Here's a tip - she's not going to be. If Nika Muhl can guard her in the Final Four, plenty of WNBA defenders will do just as well. The 30 foot three pointer isn't going to be the draw that it was at Iowa
Plus she received the Edey treatment by Big Ten officials which she will not get in the WNBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom